Legacy of Charles 2.0

So I decided to restart my timeline from the beginning. Why? To gain new viewership with people who do not know what is going on, making it easier for them to jump in. Also to allow me to rewrite and change some of the updates, some of them I found a bit sloppy, and I want to rewrite them. Also I want to be able to maintain a consistent style which was a problem with the first version. So without much ado, Legacy of Charles 2.0

Legacy of Charles 2.0

Part 1 the Birth of a Kingdom

Story of Lortharingria
By Francis King PHD in history at Oxford

It is often said the course of history was changed with the birth of Phillip III, or Charles the Bold victories at Morat, Grandson and Nancy. It hard to imagine history with out Lotharigia. Without Charles the bold, Phillip the Mighty, Charles III the Conquer, William I Casimir, William II Augustus, Peter I,Adrian I, Micheal I the defender or the many other great kings of Lotharingaria. The sudden rise of Burgundy to a fief of France to major rival of France and world power. Which makes the recent alliance and cooperative domination of the EC between it, France, and Germany, all the more shocking. But to understand the makings of modern day Lotharingaria we must look at it’s history. What better place then to start then with the birth of Phillip III and the coronation of Charles the Bold.

plwvc.jpg

Charles I 'the Bold' by Louis Venton

The Birth of Phillip III is often considered part of a wider series of events surrounding the coronation of Charles. Charles had traveled to the city of Trier,to meet with Emperor Frederick III. He decided to leave the rest of his family including his heavily pregnant wife Maragert of York in Dijon. At Trier he meet the Emperor Fredrick III to discuss the marriage of their children Mary and Maximillan, and hopefully the coronation of Charles as King. The Question of succession arose, Charles I up to that point had no viable heir of his own, and upon his death his estates would be given to Mary. Yet Charles did not want his kingdom to die after his death and was able to negiotate with Frederick that if he died before producing a viable male heir that the successor from a junior Hapsburg branch would succeed him. Then news from Dijon, begged Charles I to return to his wife as she was expected to give birth soon. The negiotations seemed to be about to fall apart, Frederick agreed to delay them until the child was born.Charles raced back to Dijon just in time for the the child’s birth.

From the accounts of Yves de Tongres [1]’ chronicles of Historie de Lotharingria: “ Charles sprinted to Margaret chamber. When they arrived, they found that she had just given birth to a strong healthy baby boy. Margaret now turned over to face her husband and asked quietly in his ear what they would name him. Charles now holding his baby son in arms said how about Phillip, Phillip Fredrick de Valois. Margaret said to him that she loved it. Charles holding the baby above his head proclaimed that this child would one day go on to great things, in that proclaimtion he was every bit right.”

Shortly after Philip’s birth, Frederick arrived in Dijion to finish the negotiations with the Archbishop of Treir Johan II of Baden in tow. It did not take long for the negotiations to reach the desired end. The two monarchs hit it off and became quick friends after getting to know each other. They began to act like old friends with days of the beginning of negotiations. Shortly after the birth Phillip the two monarchs agreed to the marriage of Mary the only daughter of Charles and Maximilian, the future emperor merging the house Habsburg with the House Valois. Then the most critical part of the negotiations was when negotiation for the coronation of Charles as a king. Fredrick only had the power to make him king in his own realm. Thus Charles swallow his pride and accept this, after months of negotiations the two kings finally agree to make Charles I King of Lotharigia. Why did Charles choose Lotharigia manly for three reasons one to revive the added prestige of reviving a prestigious throne, to separate himself from France in which claimed Burgundian lands as a fief to theirs, thus by choosing the name Lotharigia cuts ties with the French, and finally to appease the Dutch by creating a new nationality.

On a chilly day in mid-February Charles was to crowned by the Archbishop of Trier in the main chapel in Dijon. On February 15 1474 Charles was finally crowned King Charles I. To this day the coronation of Charles is celebrated as its Independence Day in modern day Lotharigia. In this moment the history of the world would forever change. But before the young nation could rise it must avoid being killed in the cradle and survive the turbulent period, now know as the Burgandian wars or the Lotharigian wars of independence.

Af71m.jpg

The Coronation of Charles I by Petr van Brejek

[1]: Yves de Tongres is one of the primary historians and chroniclers of the time. He was a minor count in the court of Charles I, Phillip IV, and Charles II. Yves would serve as court historian after making himself known for his bravery at Morat and his account of the war. He would write the Historie de Lotharingria, Regunum Charles Bold, and Historie de Angloterre war et Union de Oxford. He would ultimately become a advisor too both Phillip IV and Charles II. He would die in 1518 of a fever. He serves as the primary source for the early days of Lotharingria, and the reigns of Charles I, and Phillip IV. Though it is not a secret that his accounts are biased.

diXs6.jpg

a sketch of Yves de Tongres in his early years

Well, I wasn't expecting you to restart this from the beginning.

I had found version 1.0 very interesting and I was wondering how things would turn out to be. After all, in version 1.0, you made Charles' son, Philip, King of Lotharingia and England but Charles's bloodline could also inherit the Kingdom of France later on. The Valois-Burgundy would have more rights than the Bourbons to the French throne if the other Valois branch were to die out.

Anyway, I will be looking forward to see where this timeline goes this time. :)

Yorel: Burgundy will still be involved in the isles. As for France all I can say is that the War of Religions is going to interesting

Part 2: The Beginning

The Coronation of Charles I received mixed reactions from throughout Europe. Though perhaps the most important reactions came from France, Switzerland, Further Austria (Tyrol), and the duchies Bar and Lorraine. A very cold atmosphere settled over the area, as each did not know what to do about each other. Then after signing peace with the Swiss cantons, Archduke Sigismund of lower Austria demanded his leased land in Alsace back from Charles. Charles not only refused but executed the Tyrolean appointed commander Peter von Hagenbach for war crimes (it was well known at that time that von Hagenbach was a war criminal and thus this could be justifies), and appointed a Lotharingrian governor in its place. Sigismund was furious joined in with duchies of Bar, Lorraine, various Swiss cantons declared war against the Kingdom of Lotharingrian.

Charles quickly gathered his forces at Nassius, which they were besieging and headed south as fast as they could. Swiss were able to defeat small Lotharingrian armies at Hericourt and Plata. [1] Seeing that such a war could bring down the upstart Charles I once and for all, Louis XI declared war on Lotharingia determined to bring an end to Charles I and his legacy.

Now Charles the Bold was facing a two front war against the powerful French Army and Anti- Lotharingria collation as they were now being called. He began to appeal to his allies for help. England could not assist due to the ongoing War of English Succession [2] despite both factions being avid supporters of his coronation. So he turned to Aragon, Castile and the Holy Roman Emperor Fredrick III. Both Aragon and Castile[3] refused to act. So it all boiled down to the support of the Holy Roman Emperor. The support of Fredrick III gave was tenuous at best. As Austria he gave full support behind Charles I and his new kingdom, yet he could not muster the full support of the Holy Roman Empire as many of the German states (like Bavria, Brandenburg, etc) refused to support Charles unless victory could be assured. So Fredrick sent a message to Charles saying he could get the full support of the Empire if he could decisively defeat the collation in battle, the empire would commit full support of the war against France and the collation.

It would only be days later when on March 2 1474 that Charles the Bold would engage two Swiss armies in the town of Grandson. Yves de Tongres a veteran from the battle provides us with the account “I had been serving in the cavalry for a couple of months now when we saw are first action at Grandson. Charles was no fool seeing the army he ordered our men to attack, so we pray to god and said our Hail Mary’s and attacked. The commander of the cavalry unit the young noble Louis de Chalon [4] screamed at the Swiss ‘You will get no mercy; you must all die.’ We all began to chant and scream this; It instilled fear into the eyes of the usually brave Swiss. We surrounded the Swiss army and massacred them to the last man. Then as if out of nowhere a entire Swiss army appeared on the edge of the forest. Now with his entire arterially bombard the Swiss army, and weakened them deeply. He then ordered us the cavalry along with some infantry to strike, right into the weakened flank of the enemy. They scattered instantly with their commander Hans von Hallwyl dead, the Swiss ran back into the forest. A great victory had been won.”

brlYI.jpg

Battle of Grandson by Gulio di Venicante

With Charles decisive victory at Grandson he had finally gained the support of the Holy Roman Empire who declared war on the collation and the French (who were just beginning to muster troops). Within days the Emperor had decisively beat Sigismund at the Battle of Rattenburg [5], and had begun to besiege the Innsbruck were Sigismund was trapped. The victory at Grandson had destroyed the Swiss army, which suffered up to 9000 causalities, while the Lothargians only suffered 150. Charles ordered that all of the prisoners (including those of the fortress that was captured before the fight) be executed and the bodies were to be hanged in trees or thrown in the lake [6]. The head of the commander Hans von Hallwyl was sent to Swiss army with the message surrender or you will join your friends. The now supreme commander of the Swiss forces Adrian von Bubenberg [7] refused. So Charles gathered his army and marched to Morat where the decisive battle against the collation would be fought.

ADdN5.jpg

The march of Lothargian army by Francis de Valle

The Lotharingrian army before the Battle of Morat
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]: The Swiss army under Hans von Hallwyl fought against small reconnaissance force. It unfortunately gave the Swiss a bloated felling of strength and confidence,
[2] War of the Roses
[3] Both were involved in the Castilian War of Succession
[4] the first marshal of Lotharingria. He was the mentor of Marcus Gallo one of the most famous commanders in Lotharingrian history. Later known as the one armed
[5] was the decisive battle that lead to the unification of Austria
[6] Charles I most brutal and ruthless acts as King.
[7] Father of Albert and Johann von Bubenberg. Albert would go on to establish the Bubenberg dynasty in Switzerland, and would create the Kingdom of Switzerland. Upon his death his Kingdom would inherited in the Great Sforza inheritance

Janprimus: Well it already very different with the hints of a Swiss Monarchy, and Future war of French succession both Of which weren't in the first one. And butterflies are going to cause some major changes, some of which I couldn't even dream of when I first started writing.

Gleizou: It not my fault it's hard word to spell.:p It like spelling Onomatopoeia, or Strompolo...., Stromopologu.... Ahhhhh screw it I not even try to spell that damn insane giant yellow bird messed up imaginary friend. Though I will try to get better with the Lotharingias.

Edit: Update soon

Part 3 Battle of Morat

The Great Battles of History with Charles Goodwin

Charles Goodwin [1]: Hello, and welcome to another exciting episode of The Great Battles of History.

Cue opening credit and cut to Charles walking on the field

Goodwin: today we look at The Battle of Morat, one of the most important battles in the earlier Lotharingian history. In the year 1476 a bloody war was being fought between Lotharingia, Austrian led Holy Roman Empire against France, Switzerland, Tyrol, and Duchies of Lorraine and Bar. The War started over a small piece of land in Alsace, but that had served only as reason to fight. In reality it was the Ambition of the newly crowned king Charles I and his desire to be a king unite his lands, while the French and their allies were seeking to put Charles I in his place. But the war had been going badly for the coalition. Charles had defeated a large army at Grandson only weeks prior to the battle and Tyrol had been utterly defeated by Emperor Fredrick III at Rattenberg. But Coalition was building a large army made up of troops from the various Swiss canton, and troops levied from the duchies of Bar, and Lorraine. The Swiss born general and powerful noble Adrian von Bubenberg led them. The Lotharingrian army arrived mid day out side Morat and set up camp.

[A group of men are setting up a camp, when Charles walks in]
Charles: Jean, come here for a second.
Jean: Yes my lord.
Charles: I need you to take a team of men to scout the beyond that River there (points at the river)
Jean: sir the men aren’t going to like that sir, they are expecting to get paid today, well they will get paid once they get back, I need to know where the army is now.

[Jean grabs some of the men and heads off on some horses]

Goodwin: Charles arrived at the camp and immediately sent out scouts beyond the nearby river to see where the Swiss army was. The scouts proved their value immediately, when they quickly spotted the Swiss army in the nearby forest but more importantly the location of poorly trained, and over eager Lorraine.

[Charles standing next to a group of nobles]

Charles: (pointing to the flank) That is where we will focused our attack, Louis you will take our cavalry and stay behind our flanks till I give the signal, then you will strike right into Lorraine division and break them into pieces. Jacques [2] you in the mean time will launch your forces into the other flanks and draw the Swiss into your position, draw them into your position so Louis’s cavalry can hit them where it hurts.

Meanwhile in the Swiss army Adrian von Bubenberg who is the nearby town of Murten and attempting to coordinate with General Hans Waldmann, and Duke Rene II of Lorraine.
[cut to Adrian walking on the wall of the fort]
Adrian: Where in God’s name is Hans?
Solider: It appears that they are just coming out of the forest
Adrian: Where?
Solider: Over there my liege, and it looks like that bastard Charles is ready for him.
Adrian: Prepare the men! We will march out and take their camp while they are distracted by Hans then attack them in the rear, where they least expect it.

Goodwin: Charles was in a very precarious position, with the large coalition army in front of him and the large garrison to the rear he need to defeat booth quickly. It did not take much longer for the battle to begin. Charles in customary fashion order his artillery to fire upon Swiss army but in particular the left where the over eager troops of Lorraine were. Swiss pressed on showing no signs of stopping, when Charles realized something.

[Charles stands on a hill looking down upon the battlefield, surrounded by his generals and advisors]
Louis: Sir why the bloody hell have you called us here. We need to be at the front leading the men, now is not the time for a little meeting.
Jacques: I agree with Louis, how ever painful for me to say that. We have a plan lets stick with it, before we get to distracted by simplistic matters.
Charles: Don’t you see, something here is wrong. I am the only one concerned that the Swiss cavalry has not made a move, or the garrison has not joined the fight.
Louis: Yet that is not reason enough sire to calls us back from the front where we are needed, where you are needed.

[Jean the scout rushes up towards the king on a horse and dismounts]
Jean: Sire, we have found the cavalry.
Charles: Where?
Jean: It is sitting on the right flank in a small wood; they appear to be waiting for an opportunity to attack.
Charles: What troops do you have over there?
Jacques: Just a regiment of cavalry sir, all of are infantry is engaged right now.
Charles: Okay we need some infantry on that flank now! Yet we need it hidden so the Swiss can’t tell what we are doing. Jacques go to every regiment in reserve and take every 3rd man from the back rows of the troops and take them to the flanks and hide them besides the ccavalry in the tall grass.
Jacques: Are you trying what I think your trying
Charles: Yes.
Louis: And what in gods name is that?
Charles: A Pharsalus, Louis we are going to deal them a blow so surprising that will take out the cavalry and expose their flanks
Jacques: I will make pace then, God speed my friends
[Jacques leaves on a horse surrounded by a small body guard]
Charles: Louis your part doesn’t change when Jacques eventually repulses the Swiss cavalry you will attack. Wait for my signal.

Goodwin: Charles realizing the danger of the Swiss cavalry faced grabbed the every 5th man and hid it in the tall grass. But by doing so he weakened his lines, if any of the lines broke the battle would be over. But Charles’ gamble paid off the Swiss charged the flank, and the result was devastating, the Swiss cavalry were trapped by the a wall of pikes that surrounded them, completely wiping them out they then turned on the flanks of the pike wall. That is when two devises things happen one when the cavalry charged Adrian von Bubenberg charged forward and took the camp, only to be meet with the fresh reserves and was not able to reorganize and the garrison was for most part being ripped apart by the Reserves, yet Bubenberg was unaware of what was going on the battlefield. It was at that moment when Jacques and his Savoyard regiments attack the right flank, that Louis charged with his Cavalry against the left flank, this broke the resolve of the Lorrainean regiments entirely. Duke Rene II fled for his life on horseback to escape them Swiss.

Now the entire Lotharigian army completely surrounded the Swiss, but Swiss fought on like they were possessed by the devil, it was here at Morat that the Swiss established themselves as some of the toughest solider in the world. They refused to surrender.

[cuts to Adrian regrouping, and gathering a large group of men around him]
Adrian:We need to break through and get out of here now!
Solider: But how, we are surrounded on all sides?
Adrian: We’ll have to focus our efforts where they are weakest. Which I am guessing is there. Soldiers of Bern! Brave men of Switzerland Charge!

Goodwin: So that is what the Swiss garrison did they charge and broke through the Lotharingia and smashed right into the rear of army, and cut their way to the main Swiss. This allowed a Channel of escape. Gathering the leaderless men, as Hans had been killed in the fighting, He cut his way out and escaped, this soon turned into a massive fighting retreat and eventually a rout. This is where the remarkable happen.

[Charles is riding a horse in front of the army]
Charles: Stop! everyone stop!
[The men stop in their tracts]
Charles: Enough blood has been shed, they have been defeated and they will not fight us again they are too weak to. They have fought brave as I am sure many of you can agree, almost as good as you brave men. But lets us take the town instead like we planed from the beginning, let us collect our dead, let us collect our pay for a great victory, and our countries future.

Goodwin: Charles had quite un-characteristically showed mercy and had stooped his army from chasing down the Swiss. The Battle of Morat was a decisive victory for Charles, which cemented the legend of his military prowess. The Collation had all but been defeated all that remain was to defeat the French and unite his lands. But the battle would have much more far reaching effects on the Swiss as well. Much of the Swiss nobility had been killed in the battle. This would leave a massive power vacuum among the various Swiss Cantons. Peace was quickly made between the Swiss and Charles. Adrian von Bubenberg would return to Bern a hero as many saw the defeat as the Hans’s fault. Slowly Adrian would begin to absorber the various Swiss cantons who was leaderless. He would make his large western Canton hereditary, and the House Bubenberg was born. This house would one day create a mighty a powerful dynasty that would dominate Switzerland and pave the way for the Swiss to become a major player on the world stage. While Charles would make his way to Nancy after the battle of Morat to fight the French and geographically merge his land in the final stage of the Burgundian War

INiCE.jpg

Charles at Morat
---------------------------------------
[1] Louis de Chalon the first marshal of Lotharingia
[2] Duke of Savoy a loyal ally of Charles I

I had found version 1.0 very interesting and I was wondering how things would turn out to be. After all, in version 1.0, you made Charles' son, Philip, King of Lotharingia and England but Charles's bloodline could also inherit the Kingdom of France later on. The Valois-Burgundy would have more rights than the Bourbons to the French throne if the other Valois branch were to die out.
That never happened because of the Salic law

I kept expecting a group of rampaging troops from one side or the other at Morat to kill Charles Goodwin on camera, Python-style. :rolleyes:

That never happened because of the Salic law
The Valois-Burgundy are male-line descendants of Jean II, Salic law does not diminish their claim. The reason it never happened is that Valois-Burgundy died out in the male line before the main Valois branch did.

The Valois-Burgundy are male-line descendants of Jean II, Salic law does not diminish their claim. The reason it never happened is that Valois-Burgundy died out in the male line before the main Valois branch did.

Yeah the Valois-Burgundy line will have claim to the throne of France along side the Bourbons and the House of Conde. But they will lack the support of the local populace that the other two command.

Part 4 Independence and the rise of new house

After the Battle of Morat the Coalition was for the most part defeated. The proud Swiss sued for peace a couple of days after the battle at Bern forcing the Swiss confederacy to pay reparations and recognize Charles I status as a king, the Swiss facing no other choice agreed. Charles then rushed his army as fast he could north to towards Nancy. Making the journey in only 1 month just in time to catch the French forces that had just arrived under the personal command of Louis XI himself. Charles placed himself on top of hill with a forest to his east and river to his west. He decided to divide his forces in two bodies; one force lead by Jacques Duke of Savoy would hide in the forest a wait till the most opportune time to strike at the French. While the other force lead by Charles himself would draw the French in and engage him. When the French army arrived Rene[1] wasted no time convincing Louis to strike what appeared to be a weakened Lotharingian army. As soon as Louis army arrived Charles bombarded the French lines. The army remained strong, and kept marching they engaged the Charles army on top of the cliff. But the journey had tired out the heavily equipped French soldiers. Jacques rode out of the forest and enveloped the left flank.

3CNqX.gif

Charge of Jacques cavalry at Nancy: By Louis Joseph Villedevre

During the charge Duke Rene II was killed his body was mutilated (it took days to find his body, and could only be a scar on his chest that he sustained at Morat), the loss of their beloved duke caused the Lorrainian troops to flee, without their support the flanks collapsed. Louis realizing the battle was lost retreated with as much as his force as possible, but the French lost good many troops that day. Unknown to both sides this was the last major battle of the war.

Events in the Iberian Peninsula was heating up the King of Castile died and did not designate a successor, his half sister named Isabella had fallen out with him after she married the prince of Aragon Ferdinand, the King of Portugal, Afonso V realized that if Isabella merged the two kingdoms together it would spell doom for Portugal and backed the only other candidate Juanna[2]. He quickly married her, despite being her uncle, and decided to get the throne for her. Afonso decided to appeal to France, that a strong united Spain was against her interests. This appealed to Louis XI who needed to recapture some lost prestige after losing the battle at Nancy, but that would force him to fight a two front war. Then Charles the Bold took his opportunity. He offered a peace to Louis XI. In exchange for peace Louis would recognize him as independent of France (though not as a kingdom but as a duchy), would pay some small reparations, and recognize any land that Charles took from the Duchies of Bar and Lorraine. Louis reluctantly accepted and singed the treaty at Dijon. Known as the treaty of Dijon it is a celebrated as nationally holiday in Lotharingia. He gathered his force and marched south towards the border where they defeated the main Aragonnese army at the battle of Foix, and at the Battle of Besalu. At the Battle of Besalu, King John was killed and his son Ferdinand was captured. Louis forced him to sign a treaty that proclaimed Juanna the rightful Queen of Castille, and that he would give up all claims to Castille. Ferdinand was dully crowned King of Aragon. In Castile the Portuguese king was having a joyous time he was now the king consort of the newly crowned Queen of Castille, until he received some unpleasant news the Pope Sixtus IV who had annulled the marriage on grounds of the two being to closely related. Afonso was furious and threaten war if the Pope didn’t back down. This caused Louis XI to step in. He threaten war with Portugal if Afonso refused the recognized the annulment of his marriage to Juanna. Afonso reluctantly agreed, and he would die a broken man not too long after, leaving his kingdom to his son Joao II. But this left Juana as the most sought after Queen in Europe, and many courted her ranging from the Dauhpine of France Charles VIII to the Local governor of Madrid. But unlike other highly sought after female nobles, she was a queen of a unstable country, and without much support both locally and internationally, she needed a husband that would bring stability to the kingdom. She found it in the form of the young Duke Diego Antonio Mendoza. Diego charmed the queen and both fell for each other, the couple was married in the August 12 1478 in an elaborate ceremony. The couple quickly gave birth to a child, a child named Diego, he would give birth to a new dynasty the House Mendoza.

y0S5C.jpg

Diego Antonio Mendoza from the family archives: painter unknown
------------------------------------------------------
[1] Duke of Lorraine Rene II
[2] Juanna la Beltranjea the bastard daughter of Hanry IV of Castile wife Joanna of Portugal and local noble

Oh, now I see one of the main difference between version 1.0 and 2.0... Juanna la Beltranjea still inherits Castille, but her husband is no longer Diego de La Cerda but another man.

Anyway, I'm still going to look how it's going to turn out :)

Yeah the Valois-Burgundy line will have claim to the throne of France along side the Bourbons and the House of Conde. But they will lack the support of the local populace that the other two command.

Yes and no;), because if they really want to, the duchy of Burgundy and the counties of Flanders and Artois (and Vermandois, Eu, Ponthieu, St. Pol and Picardie) are a good powerbase to start with. Excluding the more senior line of Valois Burgundy for the Bourbons will IMHO at least lead to a war of the French succession and not to mention the fact that England still had their claim, although the French and other European powers could support the Bourbons against Lotharingia and/or England, however the king of Lotharingia could end up with a compensation. Maybe all nominally French territory held by Lotharingia and which is internationally recognized as their possessions is transfered to Lotharingia? Perhaps this will also include all French colonies conquered by Lotharingia.

Charles I ‘the Bold’: Establishing foundations of the Kingdom of Lotharingia

The years after the Burgandian wars and the Iberian war were unusually peaceful. In France Louis XI force the various dukes under his thumb, and began a massive campaign to centralize and unify France under royal control. But Charles I went down a very different path. He had created a great kingdom after years of war, but it needed to be rebuilt bit by bit. First he needed to decentralize his realm to make it more manageable, which was quite the opposite of Louis XI problem. His way to do this by giving out land to his various supporters who had supported him in his dream of making a kingdom. First he gave land to his military commanders the Louis de Chalons the title of Duke of Lorraine, to his other lieutenant he gave the control some of the lands in the south as a count. Many nobles who supported Charles gained lands in this way, including Yves de Tongres who was made count of Tongres, and Earl of Hasselt. Then he decided to implement the Decree of Lordship, which would severely limited the power of the nobles by making Charles I the direct authority in the Kingdom. The decree limited the amount of troops each noble could have to 200-1500 men. He also forced the nobles and their sons to swear an oath of loyalty to Charles I and his descendants. Some scholars at the time said this oath was signed in blood, but most historians agree that is not true and was French slander. But regardless the name stuck and the Oaths of Blood was the name given to these pacts of loyalty.

The Next thing he did was establishing an alliance with Holy Roman Empire, but more specifically the Fredrick III’s Austria. He then implement a massive reform of the army, he decided that the old system of creating an army has out of date and needed to be reformed. The feudal system decreed that the army was to make of troops levied from the nobles. But this left to much power in their hands and Charles was not willing to make the same mistake that Louis XI had made. Charles decided that he was going to make the army partially professional. Most soldiers would be levied from the lands of the King himself and would be recruited, and trained to fight by people loyal to the king. They were to be paid for their services either by way of small plots of land or by various sums of money. This firmly kept power out the noble’s hands and into the hands of the kings. It also lead to the professional Lotharingian army that would become one the best discipline and well trained armed forces in the world. It is said that is at this time he began to look at England with a great interest.

A massive civil war was going on over control of England between the two houses; the house Lancaster and the house Tudor. The current King Edward IV[1] passed away in fall of 1483 and passed his kingdom on to his young son Edward V. But Edward V[2] was only a boy of 15 years old, thus Edward IV brother named Richard; the Duke of Gloucester became regent[3]. But Richard was a incredibly ambitious man, and he desired the throne for himself. So he began a massive publicity campaign to disown the young King and his family by claiming that Edward IV marriage to Elizabeth Woodville was invalid and their children including the young King Edward V was illegitimate and could not take the throne. This would of course make Richard the next in line for the throne. This campaign was wildly successful and a group of nobles and commoners proclaimed him King Richard III.

kTAKm.jpg

King Richard III: Painter unknown found at the Peston House in 1745

This sent outrage through out Europe and in particular Lotharingia. Charles the Bold was a close friend to King Edward IV, though Richard III was his brother-in-law he was still outraged. Then rumors came in from England that Richard had killed Edward IV and his brother the Duke of York.[4] Europe was shocked, by the news. Charles began petitioning the nobles to levy troops for war, and began to prepare for an invasion. Charles began to talk about placing his own son Phillip on the throne, Since Charles had legitimate claim through both sides of the civil war. Then important news came from France Louis XI had died, leaving his young son Charles VIII on throne, and being forced to rely on his the two regents his elder sister Anne and her husband the Duke of Bourbon. Charles took the opportunity immediately, He proclaimed his son Phillip the rightfully Kings of England and the vowed in the main church in Brussels that he would avenge Edward V and put Edward’s line back on the throne of England. This immediately gained support from the various anti-Richard factions including the Henry Tudor and The House Stanley, and various other Yorkist and Lancaster nobles. With in months of his oath he had landed at Milford Haven. The War for English Succession had begun.

1: The first Yorkist king since Edward III
2: Reigned for 78 days before he was overthrown
3: Like OTL
4: His younger brother Richard, otherwise known as the Princes in the Tower. Both were killed to make Richard claim legitimate and remove any threats to his rule

I think you should pay attention to what you wright : there seems to be some typing errors. I'll point one out :

DjBaraca said:
A massive civil war was going on over control of England between the two houses; the house Lancaster and the house Tudor.

Shouldn't it be the House of Lancaster/Tudor and the House of York?

Apart from that, this is quite good. Please continue :)