Lee Crushed at Antietam?

Let’s say that McClellan decided to commit his reserves at Antietam and the Union achieves a significant break in the Confederate lines? Can Antietam become a crippling defeat for the Army of Northern Virginia? If so can Richmond be taken by the end of 1862? I should like to think even McClellan would see the opportunity to win the war, but then again it’s McClellan.

Secondary question. In the book by T. Harry Williams “Lincoln and His Generals” I read that Lincoln offered Burnside command of the Army of the Potomac at Fort Monroe and at Washington after the defeat at the Second Bull Run. What if Burnside was left to deal with the Confederate invasion? From his performance at Fredericksburg I’m not to optimistic, but I think Burnside is smart enough to act of Order 191. All thoughts are welcome!

Can Antietam become a crippling defeat for the Army of Northern Virginia? If so can Richmond be taken by the end of 1862? I should like to think even McClellan would see the opportunity to win the war, but then again it’s McClellan.

Yes. I can easily see Lee only returning with 1/4 as many survivors as OTL. McClellan would advance cautiously, but without manpower there is no way Lee can harass the Army of the Potomac's supply lines. McClellan would advance slowly setting up posts and field fortifications every now and then in case he was attacked "by the Southern force which greatly outnumbers him" and inch his way down without facing enough opposition.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Does Lincoln announce the Emancipation Proclamation after the battle?

Is the wording the same, with the same time limits? Or with a better battle result does he shorten the time limit for when it is due to go into effect? Would the fall of Richmond before the end of 1862 mean the surrender of all Confederate armies and all Confederate states?

Richmond has become impossible to defend.
Only Mcclellan's weakness would prevent it from being taken. That would allow the Confederacy time to shift troops to defend Richmond, unfortunately that would leave other sectors of the front undermanned the union commanders on those fronts were far more compatent than McClellan and they would take advantage of that

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Richmond has become impossible to defend.
Only Mcclellan's weakness would prevent it from being taken. That would allow the Confederacy time to shift troops to defend Richmond, unfortunately that would leave other sectors of the front undermanned the union commanders on those fronts were far more compatent than McClellan and they would take advantage of that

how many western state forces would western state governors allow to be moved East?

The alternate history e-book, Decision at Antiteam plays out that scenario of what might have happened if Lee had been totally defeated. It's by Andrew J. Heller.