Larger Parthian Empire

Discuss how the Parthian Empire could have extended beyond its OTL parameters. Maybe retaining the temporary conquests that were made in Anatolia and the Levantine territories during the 30's BCE.

Nikephoros

Banned
Does it have to be a unified Parthian Empire, or can it be separate empires.

It was separate empires in many ways IOTL.

Does it have to be a unified Parthian Empire, or can it be separate empires.

It was separate empires in many ways IOTL.

It was a decentralized federation, I know. I was possing the question if it also extended into Anatolia, Syria, Judea etc. I reckon that places like Pontus, Bithynia, Galatia, and Judea would become autonomous client states, or perhaps the House of Suren may establish themselves in Anatolia, and adopt the title of Shahannashah in opposition to the Arsacids.

Nikephoros

Banned
It was a decentralized federation, I know. I was possing the question if it also extended into Anatolia, Syria, Judea etc. I reckon that places like Pontus, Bithynia, Galatia, and Judea would become autonomous client states, or perhaps the House of Suren may establish themselves in Anatolia, and adopt the title of Shahannashah in opposition to the Arsacids.

Well, expansion is certainly possible. Roman conquest of the region wasn't inevitable, as you've often argued before.

It's just extremely likely that expansion beyond what they historically did will only serve to decentralize it even more. If the house of Suren is responsible for that expansion, their power will only grow more.

The Parthians at their height were influenced by both Hellenistic and Persian culture. One long-term affect if the Parthians take over Anatolia from the Romans, could be that a split may occur between those Parthian noble houses in the east that are steeped in the older Iranian culture and Zoroastrian beliefs, and those who have settled in the west whom see themselves as preserving the civilization of the Greeks. The hypothetical Anatolian-Syrian Pahlava could be a large feudalistic Hellenistic kingdom.