Lands of Ice and Mice: An Alternate History of the Thule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm eagerly awaiting DirtyCommie's next post myself.

I have a lot of ground to cover in terms of outlining a plausible arctic agricultural complex.

The quality of theoretical argument and writing remains excellent.

I'm just imagining the first "Asiatic mode" civilisation of Thule—and imagining what their megaproject would be?

Warrior-religious Cairns?
Walls of stamped earth?
A system of mass irrigation?
A system of fish dams and wattle trees?

Obviously, the conditions of material being and the nature of class society in early Thule "class" civilisation will dictate the socially meaningful variety of megaprojects.

But when you're regularly raiding your neighbours and forcing corvee labour and masses of storable plants and luxury goods out of them, you start getting big ideas.

"Early Megaprojects of the Thule: The Great Windbreaks of the North"?

yours with enthusiasm,
Sam R.

Actually, windbreaks and drift collectors sound pretty good. I can see that evolving in terms of very subtle environmental manipulation.

When you're talking the arctic environment, detail is everything. Plants nestle close to the ground because the ground is warmer than the ambient air, for instance. Low growing plants enjoy more warmth, and tall growing plants lose more heat. A windbreak can make a huge difference to a field.

Even the orientation of a field makes a huge difference. A south facing field can get up to 20% more sunlight than a north facing one, and you can record temperature differentials of 15 degrees higher than the local mean.

In terms of megalithic architecture, I'm kind of taken with the notion of giant inukshuk. I suspect that a lot of the early megalithic tradition will evolve from inukshuk tradition.

I just want to share a theoretical concept I think is important. I've come to distinguish between "culture" and "society."

Very often our academic language conflates the two. I noticed in anthropology classes that archeologists would use the term "culture" to refer to stuff, material items that they could find buried in the ground or otherwise inscribed, that combined with the remains of the ancient peoples they were studying themselves, were all they could know of these people. They'd find stone tools, if they were very lucky some evidence of fabric, and this was "culture."

I realized that really, the term "culture" should refer to "stuff," not all of it material, but it all has the nature that by itself, it just sits there meaninglessly.

The relevant entity to consider in history is human society, how human beings organize to act together. Culture, the way I conceive it, is very central to these activities. But it's human beings cooperating with each other that actually make history.

There is the vital third entity, the individual human being. A human being is never simply some vector sum of culture, lying around to hand or in their head, actuated by society in the abstract. Human beings, as separate minds, locked behind the wall of bone and communicating only a fraction of their total experience, have created both culture and society. It is also an error to suppose the individual simply transcends these elements; each human's individual capabilities are multiplied and leveraged by both the array of accumulate culture available to them--material and conceptual--and the willingness and ability of other human beings to, interacting with them, carry out their mutual visions and projects.

You need all three to make human history, or to comprehend it.

So your fine essay on the evolution of what I would call both Inuit culture and society was a bit hard for me to read--the way most mainstream academic stuff is hard for me to read, because the world "culture" does double and undistinguished duty both for an evolving ensemble of technical methods, material tools and raw materials, and mythic structures that give activities a meaning and a conceptual grounding--and meanwhile also an evolving set of social relationships, which boil down to, how are other people expected to act in given circumstances, that I think needs to be considered as a distinct thing, though strongly interwoven with the former of course!

The conflation of culture and society seems to work extra mischief in a postmodernist academic setting. As a history student I felt that discipline used postmodernist concepts in moderation and with liberal grains of salt, and they proved useful as far as they went, but when I accompanied an English major on her journeys through that discipline's academic mill it seemed they just went to town with it in a way I found very conceptually disturbing. To be sure a lot of them just seemed to be having fun with it, but in a theory class it got quite bleak; the Foucaultian notion that history, and indeed everything human, boils down to "discourses" seemed to have thrown out the materialist baby with the Marxist (or structuralist) bathwater.

A decade later or so, I can reflect that the study of literature might not suffer too badly from a preoccupation with words. But as a world-view it seemed bizarre if you dug to the root of it.

And not nearly as radical as these academics seemed to think. I've found Marx's historical materialism to be a very solid grounding, that gives us a continuous connection to our pre-human origins and also a trajectory toward what appears to us now anyway as the "transhuman," and that recasting what works in other approaches onto a suitably nuanced materialist basis loses nothing and gains a lot. But what seems most conceptually odd about the pre-Marxist conceptual approaches is what bothers me about postmodernism--the severing of intelligible bonds between the material world and the realm of the human spirit.

So, I think I can translate and agree; as I said historians in my experience were able to make quite a lot of sense from a wide variety of conceptual starting points because of their engagement with what actually did happen--as well as we can reconstruct it. It was in arguing with various professors about what events, in what arenas, did matter that I formed this concept of my "socio-historical trinity" of society, culture, the individual person. And because the mainstream academics are engaging with things that do have an independent existence--in my view anyway, specific things happened in southern England in 1066, whether we will ever fully know them or not; and for that matter Shakespeare's plays exist--in to be sure varied forms, but each of these texts does exist, so even the English departments have a certain solid grounding. Engagement with that grounding enables people to communicate who are using very different terms and concepts; one reason I think this "trinity" of mine seems so important and reasonable to me is that I think people are actually making the distinctions when talking about specific things.

But there is a sort of semantic tyranny, I feel, a Foucaultian "discourse" in action, in trying to shoehorn society into culture. Distinctions are often not seen. There is a widespread unspoken assumption that mere knowledge is the same thing as competency; the latter requires not only concepts nor even just in addition the tools, but a society capable of accommodating the ramifications of specialized labor.

So "culture" as such tends to travel and spread a lot more, more widely and more easily, than changes in society.

Now the Inuit, seen from the outside, are simultaneously evolving both a whole new range of culture, and also a social structure that employs it.

You might have noticed me talking rather blithely about Russians, for instance, absorbing elements of what I've been calling "Arctican culture." By that I mean the stuff--the new crops, the methods of cultivating them, the details of sledges that can operate on rough ice, how to navigate in the polar winter (or summer)--stuff like that. I suppose that other Arctic peoples who adopt the alt-Inuit package pretty much wholesale will develop societies that more or less parallel the Inuit society, as much as that is necessary to fully enable the package to work. Or as much as they, coming from similar antecedents (whether because they are split off from the Inuit ancestrally, as will be true of some of them, or because they simply evolved parallel institutions in parallel settings independently) are likely to move from similar origins to similar elaborations. These people are who I'm calling "Arcticans," collectively--people who are committed to surviving in this environment which OTL could only support a very limited number of hunter-gatherers and could not adopt any of the agricultural packages developed in warmer climes.

But meanwhile there will be people like the Russians, who only somewhat impinge on the Arctican sphere, who are part way in and part way out--and I predict they can and will adopt elements of the Arctican cultural package, but not all of it, and their society will still be firmly rooted in the OTL familiar basis we know. Presumably there are other Europeans, individually venturing into the Arctic, who will adopt elements of Arctican culture for their own societies, notably Scandinavians.

Vice versa, I look forward to Arcticans, especially the Inuit--some among them anyway--adopting quite a lot of culture from the south, perhaps as much as Japan has adopted from the Europeans, and yet remain just as Inuit or whatever other Arctican lineage they claim as the Japanese still remain Japanese. Modern Japan is quite revolutionized from the Japan of the 1830s--but so is modern Europe or the modern USA.

Anyway I quite humbly realize I am getting way ahead of things; here we are just looking at the roots of Inuit society as it diverges from OTL, when it is still generally in isolation from other influences except other Arctic hunting/gathering peoples known to OTL anthropology but mostly unknown in any detail to European or other social centers of their time.

As I understand it, the Inuit during their expansion pretty much wiped out the Dorset culture, although pockets survived, the most recent one being the Sadlermiut community who were wiped out around 1905 by a flu epidemic.

The Aleutian Island culture diverged from the Proto-Inuit about 3000 years ago and retained cultural distinctiveness, but the Aleuts were far from widespread.

The Sub-Arctic Dene occupied a precarious range between forest peoples like the Cree, and the Inuit. Interestingly, the Dene relatives seem to be the Apaches and the like, much further south. I'd be interested in the reconstructions of how the Athabaskan cultures wound up in such widely diverged locations.

For me, I go with my old school Anthro, which describes 'culture' as the sum total of human artifacts and interractions. I'm not sure that 'stuff' has much meaning in isolation from human interraction.

What happened to the mice?

Are the Thule still raiding mouse burrows for seeds, and if so is the fact they're now leaving some doing anything to change the mice?

Domesticate fried mice? Skewered mice? Are mice a "years of famine" food nugget that becomes integrated? Are mice easier domesticates, and domesticates that can be bred up out of excess agricultural product and waste, or off "waste portions" of human food?

yours,
Sam R.

Hey, guys! I know you guys are kinda waiting for my next post, but these have been two of the worst weeks of my life, and it looks set to get worse. I promise, I swear on my mother's head that by Thursday next, I will have an update for y'all.

Cheers,
DC

My commiserations; I've had times when my own life took the most amazingly sudden and apparently cascading downturns.

Like say, the time I wrecked my car, learned my job would be shut down within a month, and that all the money I had in the entire world had been taken out of my bank account...

All within a two-hour period.

And stuff like that. I hope it isn't quite that bad for you.

It gets better if you survive these things. Then it gets bad again. And so on.

Hoping you hit the upslope soon!

Thule Domesticates - Dogs

The first, and the most critical domesticate for the OTL Inuit were dogs. Canines were the critical Inuit draft animal, allowing the Inuit to move rapidly, together with a significant amount of material culture, through their environment, over vast distances. The use of dogs as a draft animal may have been a key technological/social advantage of the Inuit over their competitors.

Dogs typically have a lifespan between 10 and 12 years. They mature rapidly, reaching sexual maturity between six monthths and a year, and full physical maturity within two years. Working sled dogs are trained from 6 months to 1 year of age, and have a working life span of 8 to 9 years. Peak performance is from 3 to 6 years of age. Canines reproduce rapidly, females are usually fertile twice a year, take roughly 60 days from conception to delivery, with litters of up to six. These are the key statistics of any domestic animal, by the way. How quickly it matures, what the working life span is, how readily it reproduces, gestation time, offspring numbers.

Sled dogs average between 23 to 43 kilograms for males, and 18 to 23 for females. During the summer, they may be used as pack animals, carrying a load on their backs in a harness. Pack dogs averaging 35 to 50 kg are able to carry 16 kg for days on end over rugged landscape easily. Loads of up to 23 kgs can be carried for a day or two. Overall, the average viable pack load for a dog ranges from about 20 to 40% of their weight on an average speed of 6 kmh.

In comparison, horses run much heavier. 350 to 635 kgs. Their pack load ability ranges from 40 to 95 kgs. In broad terms, horses carry pack loads of 10 to 15% of their weight, with an average speed of 5.6 km.

During winter, dogs, usually in teams of nine, will pull sleds. Sled loads are dependent on the size of the animals, but ranges between 23 and 45 kg per animal at a pace of 5 to 8 kilometers per hour. Sled loads can go up to 115 kg per animal, but that’s heavy and viable only over short distances, the dogs will require frequent periods of rest. Teams normally cover a distance of 16 to 40 km per day, a well maintained team can do 90 to 95 kilometers a day.

Now, let’s compare this to horses. It’s a bit more apples and oranges, because there’s not a lot of literature on sled horses. But the rough yardstick seems to be that on average, horses draft capacity is about 13% of their body weight, at about 3 kmh. Overall, the figures on most draft animals suggest a draft capacity of 10 to 14% of body weight at an average speed of 2.4 to 4 kmh. Dogs on the othe hand, have a draft capacity of 30% body weight and speeds averaging 6 kmh.

So, astonishingly, dogs as working animals seem to be a lot more efficient than horses, and in fact most draft domesticates. Horses, Asses, Ox and Cow, Buffalo, Yaks, Llama, Mules... Dogs beat them all like red headed stepchildren or ... rented mules. Only Reindeer and Camels, proportionately, approach the work capacity of Dogs.

I suppose that begs the question that, since their work ability it so much greater, why did dogs take second place to so many domesticates. Part of it is packaging. A 350 kg horse can carry a load between 40 and 75 kg. In comparison, 350 kgs of dogs can carry 90 to 140 kgs in pack, but that’s ten dogs. That’s a hell of a lot of critters to wrangle, there’s time and effort costs in packing and unpacking. So, the substantially greater carrying capacity of dogs is undercut basically by management costs, lots of it.

The other factor, and the real determining factor, for dogs versus other draft animals is maintenance costs. Dogs, and everything else, gotta eat. Now, the trouble is, dogs are what we might consider ‘high value’ consumers. They eat meat. They’re not picky, they’ll eat fish, rough fish, they’ll eat fresh meat, old meat, skanky meat, they’ll crunch bones, eat birds and mice whole, devour garbage. Someone on this thread called dogs omnivores. That’s about 80% wishful thinking, dogs will devour berries readily, and I once watched a dog try and eat an apple, they’ll eat plant based products which have been cooked, boiled or otherwise processed for human consumption. But apart from nibbling a bit of grass now and then, they’re not really set up for herbivory. Now, dogs are pretty ecumenical in their tastes, and they’ll eat a lot of rough crap that we won’t touch, but basically, that’s still a pretty high end diet, and that means that they’re relatively expensive to feed. They’ll eat our garbage which is free, and our leftovers, but to keep them going in numbers large enough to be socially useful for draft labour, we need to harvest more than that, and even if we’re harvesting or processing relatively cheap low end stuff in human terms, its still expensive. Plus, of course, smaller animals proportionately eat more.

Now, we go over to most other draft animals - they’re pretty strict herbivores, and better yet, they’re herbivores who are really eating bottom end stuff - grasses and forage. Basically, its stuff that is free, grows easily without as much investment of time and effort and is usually plentiful. So its free food, which means basically free horsepower. At the bargain basement end, the only real cost to cattle and horse fodder is a potential lost opportunity cost because we’re not using those fields to grow human food. But even there, a lot of that land isn’t suitable for human food, or not necessary for one reason or another. You can’t beat those economics.

In fact, horse and cattle fodder is so cheap in comparison to the output of labour, that its found to be cost effective in many cultures, including ours, to actually invest additional time and energy in cultivating and stacking hay and building a draft animal feed industry.

The OTL Inuit used dogs intensively, and looking at dogs labour capacity, you can see why. They’re very very efficient. The OTL Inuit were particularly known for it in part because their environment, particularly their access to sea resources, allowed them to produce enough low value protein to keep dogs in business. This may actually help explain why many inuit remained so closely tied to the sea and coastlines. Not only were they dependent on sea protein, but their draft animal labour force, depended on it too.

As I understand it, many aboriginal cultures in North and South America, before the advent of the horse, used dogs as draft animals, although the amount of draft animals available for labour depended on the amount of low grade protein surplus that they culture was able to produce. This was tricky for agricultural civilizations particularly, since the protein surplus tended to drop or vanish and diet shifted to the products of agricultural cultivation.

But you know, thinking about it, there are a lot of American Indian civilization timelines on this site, and perhaps the economics of dog labour has been overlooked. For instance, the Andean cultures had incredibly rich fisheries which produced potentially a lot of low grade protein. So perhaps there’s something there. Of course, the Andeans had Llama, and effective coastal transit, so they didn’t necessarily need the dog as a labour domesticate.

The economy issues involving dogs remain suggestive. Given dietary issues, you couldn’t support a huge population of dog labour. But a really specialized canine labour force could be very viable in a civilization. Possibly as military or logistics bearers, stuff like that, or pack animals for extremely high value trade goods.

Or possibly, some interesting pod might be the development of a ‘dog bean’. A protein plant that’s not useful for humans, grows in agriculturally marginal territory, but is edible to canines and sustains a bigger dog labour population. Kind of out there, but it’s a better bet than bear cavalry.

But I’m wandering here. Canine domesticates, sled and pack animals, were critical to the success and survival of the OTL Inuit and their rapid spread. In this timeline, things are much the same for the early history at least up to the Agricultural revolution.

Of course, there are subtle effects. The human population in this timeline, because of the availability of root crops, is substantially increased. The dog population also increases, after all, more humans are producing more garbage and leftovers edible to canines. More humans are also available to engage in harvesting/fishing/hunting and obtaining the rough low end protein that canines can subsist on.

But not enough. The human population is several times greater than in our timeline. The canine population increases, but not proportionately. The OTL Inuit diet of 95% meat allows for a surplus to be generated to maintain the canine population. The much heavier Thule population is putting a lot more pressure on wild fish and meat resources, more harvesting, but they’re starting to approach the limits, and so maybe canine share is dropping. And of course, the heavier Thule population’s only getting 75% of its diet from meat, so there’s less flesh coming into the system.

Within the Thule, this has some interesting effects. With fewer sled and pack dogs, it’s a lot harder for many Thule to move around, or to move as rapidly or with as many goods. So there’s a tendency towards smaller, more focused resource areas. As dogs become proportionately fewer, they become more valuable, higher status within the community. And this makes sense, the wealthy Thule in the clan or tribe who controls a dog team can move faster and further, and carry more weight longer. This drives increasingly complex social hierarchies among the Thule, gradations of status and wealth within communities, and particularly between communities. Some Thule communities will have better access to fish or game resources, and be able to sustain larger dog populations, and therefore maintain social dominance. Access to dogs, or access to dogs abilities to transport goods and people is not necessarily automatically universal, but is something that the relatively poor must negotiate or bargain for with the relatively rich.

There may be some further diversification of Canine labour. We can assume that OTL Inuit, in addition to pack and sled animals, may have used canines as guard animals, hunting and tracking aids, possibly even war animals. In this timeline, with more root plants in the diet, Canines might be used to sniff out edible plants, particularly in the winter, the way pigs are used to sniff out truffles. Or they may be used in some cases as diggers.

Canine labour is essential to Thule culture, but as forces leading to an agricultural revolution build up, that creates a catch 22. The revolution is all about plants. Dogs are all about meat. At the time when the Thule may start to need canine labour the most, they might also find it in the most severely short supply.

Interesting thoughts on dogs.

It makes we wonder, what the status implications of having many dogs would be, in a society that saw a transformation from many people having multiple, to only the rich.

This would also seem to be the natural incentive for reindeer/caribou domestication, as people who've been displaced from owning dogs look for substitutes.

I would also really consider moose domestication if the inuit efforts with caribou succeed. They're visually similar enough that someone is likely to try, and the range of two of the American sub-species does overlap with that of the Inuit in this TL

516px-Alces_alces_NA.svg.png

Moose can be ranched to produce milk in useful quantities (although so can reindeer), and we could well see cheese making to preserve it over the winter.

Reindeer can be used for milk, but there are a few problems with it.

For one thing, it's a fairly difficult process. Basically, you need two men (women?) for it. One to milk the reindeer, the other two hold the antlers. So, labour intensive.

Reindeer Milk differs from human or cows milk in having about a third the lactose content of human milk, and half the lactose content of cows milk, the ratio is 7%/4.5%/2.4%. Reindeer Milk, on the other hand, has an extraordinarily high fat content - 22%, as compared to 3.5% for cow's milk. Now, the trouble is that the Thule/Inuit are lactose intolerant, if cow's milk is a problem, then Reindeer milk is probably something of a problem as well. Maybe not as bad, but still up there.

Finally, the volumes are pretty low. A lactating female reindeer produces only 300 to 500 mg per day, although I've seen estimates or evaluations as low as 200 mg, to as high as 1 to 1.5 litres per day. Because the mammary gland is comparatively small, its got limited storage capacity and thus refills quickly if emptied, so if you have the patience to milk your reindeer a few times a day you may get as much as 5 litres. The milking period is only for part of the year. In comparison, cows produce rough 15 to 35 litres a day

For these reasons, I suspect the Thule wouldn't be making heavy use of Caribou milk. The main opportunity might be feeding infants and children before they lose the capacity to tolerate lactose. You could actually feed them longer than with human milk. The fat content would probably be a boon to the growing child and you'd see both a reduction in infant mortality and overall healthier more robust children.

How long it takes for that to work its way into Thule culture, if at all is an interesting question. It's certainly not an immediate development. But given the number of cultures (including Sammi and Reindeer) that have ended up harvesting milk from different animals (goats, camels, horses, yak) it does seem to be an inevitable development.

This is just a sneak peak. I have a much more interesting post on reindeer waiting in the wings, as well as a thorough post on musk ox, and a brilliant piece of work (with graphics!) on the agricultural revolution. Moose, unfortunately, aren't going to be a domesticate in this timeline.

How long will it take for the Thule to get lactose tolerant, is it possible?

I saw a film on capturing musk ox from the 1940s-50s, it actually seemed pretty easy. Run a herd into water, lasso a calf, then swim it to exhaustion.

Are musk ox a milk option?

How long will it take for the Thule to get lactose tolerant, is it possible?

I saw a film on capturing musk ox from the 1940s-50s, it actually seemed pretty easy. Run a herd into water, lasso a calf, then swim it to exhaustion.

Are musk ox a milk option?

Musk Ox produce approximately a half liter or 500 mg of milk a day, for about 9 to 10 months. I suspect that you might get more if you tried to milk the musk ox a couple of times a day, but that's just guessing. I believe that milking musk ox may be more like milking cows and less labour intensive than Caribou, or at least none of the literature suggests its an extraordinary pain in the ass. Musk Ox milk seems to be a lot more human digestible than some other milks. Breakdown is fat 11%, or half that of Caribou, but still more than three times that of cows. Lactose content is 3.5%, which makes it half that of humans, and intermediate between cows and caribou.

So once again, I think we'd be seeing something reserved for infants and children. But my impression is that Musk Ox generally would cleave to much tougher or poorer habitat, so regional variation might make Musk Ox milk much more important for child mortality and child nutrition.

As to how long a lactose tolerant mutation would take to spread through the Thule population. Well, its basically a mutation that gets passed down from generation to generation. Assuming that its a relatively common mutation, occurring naturally in 1% of the population, and assuming its dominant rather than recessive or has some goofy phenotype expression pattern, I think you would need a minimum of eight to twelve generations to spread completely through the population, and perhaps as many as twenty. Back of the envelope calculation would be between 240 and 600 years, minimum.

Just an observation here, I'm a big fan of Jared Diamond. I think we all are. But the guy isn't gospel, many of his observations are incomplete.

Take Domestication. Diamond basically identifies eight criteria for a domesticated animal, and suggests that pretty much everything that can be domesticated has been domesticated. I take issue with that, not because I have huge disagreements with specific things he says (although I have my issues there, for instance, I think that his remarks in terms of human tolerance and placidity are superficial because they're overlooking the formation of heritable and acquired behavioural traits and the plasticity thereof). But mostly, I think that his big picture falls short in some respects.

Domestication of animals is often a confluence of economics and opportunity.

Look at it this way: Why don't most hunter/gatherer cultures domesticate animals? The simple answer is that it is not cost effective. Why go through the trouble of domesticating reindeer or cattle, which is time consuming, expensive, requires a significant investment of time and effort, and forestalls other cultural or harvesting opportunities, when you can simply kill the wild animals. Basically, why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free.

For the most part, hunter/gatherer societies have no pressing need for a big domesticated herbivore. They don't have a lot of stuff they need to have lugged around so their use for pack or sleigh is pretty limited. And they don't need them to plow fields because they're not growing anything. And while riding is fun and can have huge payoffs, its also a really difficult trick to master effectively. Horses were domesticated for a couple of thousand years before anyone got brave enough to ride them.

Now, its true that domesticated draft animals, if you have them, do confer a major advantage, even for hunter/gatherers. Two obvious examples - the Thule had dogs which enabled them to travel faster and carry more of a material culture, versus the Arctic Dorset, who didn't have dogs and who (surprise surprise) aren't around any more. And the plains Indians who discovered that horses changed their lives.

But to domesticate an animal requires a fairly substantial front end cultural investment, and the value of that investment isn't necessarily an obvious thing, particularly when it comes with opportunity costs (for the traditional Inuit, domesticating caribou would keep them in caribou ranges and so cost them opportunities for seal or whale harvesting). So generally, it tends not to happen.

Now, on the other side of the coin, you've got agricultural societies. These societies are hungry for horsepower. Human labour is nice, but its an intensely labour based society, and they always need more. But the trouble with these societies is that with agriculture comes population, which produces a huge demand for protein. Wild animals are free protein. And when you've got a free good in a labour economy, well, thats a lot of demand. So wildlife in agricultural societies tend to be rapidly hunted to extinction before anyone gets the idea to domesticate.

What this means is that domestication really only has a narrow window of opportunity to take place in a culture's geography and development. It has to occur in situations where the culture is evolving such a labour demand that the benefits are apparent, the costs are limited, and most importantly, the critters are around long enough in the environment to be domesticated.

If you look around at what we know of domestication events, you'll find that they all seem to occur on the littorals, on the borders between established agricultural societies and wild country. In wild country, there's no need, and in agricultural heartlands, there's no critters.

Your conclusion that domestication has only a small window of opportunity is very convincing.

There are some things to consider, though: Agriculture typically does not cover all land. You're right that most larger animals will be hunted to extinction. Agricultural societies however often need wood and thus preserve forests (at least in moderate climates and on bad land). these forests house a lot of smaller animals which theoretically could be used for domestication - in Europe it's all birds, rabbits, even wild boars. It's primarily the potential draft animals that make good hunting prey?

Another point to consider is that the highly populated agricultural centers of a civilization will likely be surrounded by less populated areas and further away, on the fringes of any civilization, the window of opportunity for domestication is still open. So even if the central lands of the arctic civilization you guys are building up so fascinatingly do not allow for domestication of draft animals, the outer lands can provide draft animals? If it works there, it shall quickly spread to the interior.

---

On a sidenote, I really like the idea of "dog beans". I'm no expert but I guess that with a mixture of protein-rich beans and other plants the fraction of animal protein could be greatly reduced?

And what about aquaculture? Maybe based on Krill or similar things? Dried Krill could be another source of protein - for both men and dogs. Don't know though how realistic that is in the arctic. Further south I can imagine that salmon is useful - particular usage of salmon returning from mating or dying thereafter.

Just my two cent, though. Keep up the good work!

There are some things to consider, though: Agriculture typically does not cover all land. You're right that most larger animals will be hunted to extinction. Agricultural societies however often need wood and thus preserve forests (at least in moderate climates and on bad land). these forests house a lot of smaller animals which theoretically could be used for domestication - in Europe it's all birds, rabbits, even wild boars. It's primarily the potential draft animals that make good hunting prey?

Not really. When you start getting agricultural population densities, you see intensive hunting pressure on all wildlife. People eat snakes, eels, anything that they can harvest that amounts to free protein. Hell, I assume somewhere out there, there are recipes for rats.

You can pretty much count on wiping out the big potential domesticables though.

But there's a second category of domesticates - call them small meat animals - chicken, turkey, guinea pig, rabbits, pigeon, waterfowl. They produce no labour, in fact, there's a labour cost in keeping them. They provide primarily meat, although there may be secondary production of feathers, eggs and furs. You'll notice lots of birds, there may be a reason for that, they probably recolonize deeper into territories that they get wiped out in, again and again, creating cumulative domestication opportunities.

This second category is trickier. Same fundamental questions, in agricultural heartlands, wild ones are basically free protein. So why waste time domesticating? For the hungry, its a much more costly investment, and there's only a narrow window where it makes sense. Again, I think that these creatures get domesticated on the borderlands, where you've got enough of the critters left over for domestication opportunities, but not so many that there isn't an incentive to try and manage or manipulate the populaltion.

Then there's a sort of catch all mid range category, sheep, goats, pigs, cats and dogs. Sometimes used for labour, often for meat and hides, sometimes specialized purposes such as wool or milk or vermin control. But that's for another day. They're basically a catch all.

Preservation of forests is hardly a given thing, consider Haiti or Rapa Nui. Or for that matter, consider the immense European forests, now reduced to a few stands of wood in Germany and France. Basically, forest preservation tends to be arise from a handful of factors - sometimes by actual fiat from ruling authority. Most often because the population simply isn't big enough yet to cut down all the forests for new homesteads of farmland, this is true mostly at the peripheries or fringes of agricultural societies. Sometimes, as you've noted, the land is simply unsuitable for farming (but quite often, you only find that out after you've cut away the trees).

[quite]Another point to consider is that the highly populated agricultural centers of a civilization will likely be surrounded by less populated areas and further away, on the fringes of any civilization, the window of opportunity for domestication is still open. So even if the central lands of the arctic civilization you guys are building up so fascinatingly do not allow for domestication of draft animals, the outer lands can provide draft animals? If it works there, it shall quickly spread to the interior.[/quote]

Well, yes. That's my model, actually. This is giving things away a bit, but basically what will happen is that the Thule will pioneer agriculture, population densities build up fast, wildlife gets harvested out, and a lot of animal protein vanishes from Thule diets. But the spread of agriculture will create huge 'borderland' zones and it will be in these zones that domestication events will take place, first for Caribou, and then with that inspiration for Musk Ox, at which point, it spreads rapidly.

It's not like I'm giving away a big trade secret here. We've already established that by 1717 the Thule have Caribou cavalry. It's how we get there that's interesting.

On a sidenote, I really like the idea of "dog beans". I'm no expert but I guess that with a mixture of protein-rich beans and other plants the fraction of animal protein could be greatly reduced?

That's my guess. Beans are noted for their animal-like protein, so conceivably canines could be fed that. You'd still need a lot more energy investment in raising dog beans to feed a dog labour economy, so you wouldn't have the same efficiency as you'd get from domesticating grass eaters. But then again, Dog horsepower dramatically outstrips horse and cattle, and dogs are extremely versatile, so I could see a society perhaps willing to make that investment.

And what about aquaculture? Maybe based on Krill or similar things? Dried Krill could be another source of protein - for both men and dogs. Don't know though how realistic that is in the arctic. Further south I can imagine that salmon is useful - particular usage of salmon returning from mating or dying thereafter.

Big issues there. It's extremely difficult to treat sea life in ways comparable to either plant or animal domesticates.

On the other hand, I'm contemplating semi-domestication or at least some sort of active management of seal and walrus.

Basically, in OTL, seal and walrus practices were abyssmal. Essentially, travel a long and seek out the resource, harvest the shit out of the resource until its literally extinct in the local area, and then go looking for another spot to harvest the resource into obliteration.

Used to be that Walrus had a much bigger range than they have now. There's a reason they're extinct in most areas. Seals were much better at bouncing back.

Now, here's the interesting thing though. The coastal Thule had much less mobility compared to the Europeans, and they lived much closer to the resource (and for that matter, they were a lot more efficient in complete use of the resource - hides, meat, oil, ivory, fur, bones etc.), and the Thule are going to be entering a period of extreme cultural ferment with respect to the management of both animal and plant populations and resources. It's not out of the question to see the Thule perhaps applying the intellectual tools and concepts to managing and harvesting seal and walrus. Watch this spot.

I'm developing a whole line of totally rock em sock em posts while we wait on my partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.