Lands of Ice and Mice: An Alternate History of the Thule

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good pack animals do reindeer make, and how long can they be ridden? I can well see that if the Inuit have domesticated Reindeer for riding and carrying packs by the start of Little Ice Age you could see a wave of migration comparable to theVölkerwanderung. Although the Inuit agricultural package may not be applicable, that doesn't mean that hungry Inuit can't sweep down south on their reindeer and enslave the locals to do their food collection for them, essentially synthesizing the Cree and Na-Dene (in East and West respectively) and Thule cultures. As Reindeer can apparently thrive as far south as Nevada, I can't see any issue with Inuit herders being able to push quite far south.

Getting ahead of the pack here. But one of the limitations of Reindeer are biological. White tailed deer carry all sorts of diseases that kill Reindeer damned quick. In fact, there's historical evidence from places like New Brunswick that increases in populations of white tails resulted in the disappearance of Reindeer/Caribou.

Overall, Caribou are highly migratory, so they're quite good at travelling long distances and are fairly robust. We can probably derive some information asa to the capacity of Caribou as draft, sled and pack animals from the Sammi of Finland and related cultures like the Nenets (sic) in the Russian Arctic. We do know that these cultures will ride Reindeer. On the other hand, there are handicaps - Reindeer are probably generally towards the smaller range compared to horses. Mind you, the upper range of Reindeer would clearly be ride-able, particularly by the relatively small statured Thule. On the other, other hand, being on top of a Reindeer is probably not a place you want to be if you're trying to make it through muskeg, deep snow, etc., so on areas of potentially unstable footing everyone walks. But on the other, other, other hand, the existence and availability of horses probably inhibits Reindeer riding in the Euro-Asian range, most places where its viable to ride, horses are available.

Anyway, this is still hundreds of years away.

This is an intriguing tl.:)

I do have one question however; wouldn't the climate of northern Canada seriously hinder any attempt to form an organized civilization (as is hinted in the first update). I will reserve judgement for the moment either way

Well, that's the fun of the timeline, isn't it.

Getting ahead of the pack here. But one of the limitations of Reindeer are biological. White tailed deer carry all sorts of diseases that kill Reindeer damned quick. In fact, there's historical evidence from places like New Brunswick that increases in populations of white tails resulted in the disappearance of Reindeer/Caribou.

In pre-Columbian times, the Caribou range reaached as far as Idaho and New England, from what I can find on the internet. It currently is this:

515px-Rangifer_tarandus_Map_NA.svg.png

The other thing worth considering is that as the climate turns, there will be vastly increased pressure on the white-tailed deer population, both from humans and general ecological change, so it is likely their population will crash just before the Inuit start arriving with reindeer.

But on the other, other, other hand, the existence and availability of horses probably inhibits Reindeer riding in the Euro-Asian range, most places where its viable to ride, horses are available.

That's true, so there is likely to be more investment. Still, with only a few hundred years, selective breeding is unlikely to get far. On the other hands, with human interference, it's likely that we'll see hybridisation of the three tundra and one forest reindeer subspecies native to North America, which might produce some interesting opportunities.

The Sandman

Banned
What about moose? Size-wise, they'd probably be better as riding and draft animals than reindeer, and IIRC are about as domesticable.

What about moose? Size-wise, they'd probably be better as riding and draft animals than reindeer, and IIRC are about as domesticable.

Not a lot of Moose in the Arctic. Now, if we were talking about a Cree or Agonquin Equestrian culture, I'd be right there with you.

In terms of the relationship of Caribou and Deer, let me offer this passage, concerning the extinction of the Caribou from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, which would be adjacent to and the Canadian version of New England:

Although caribou numbers in northeastern North America were already much reduced by the late 1800s from those of previous centuries, the ultimate extinction of the species in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and adjoining mainland regions appears to have coincided with the influx and explosive population growth of white-tailed deer. Deer were rare in the Maritimes in the early 1600s, and remained so for most of the next three hundred years. A scarcity of immature forest cover and clearings, their principal habitat, was probably the main factor limiting expansion of the white-tail’s range. But as deer spread northward in the wake of European settlement, both caribou and moose populations were affected. In areas with a high density of deer, many moose succumbed to a mysterious sickness. However, while moose and deer established a somewhat precarious coexistence, caribou perished.

A telling glimpse of the reversal in fortunes of caribou and deer in New Brunswick is contained in a reminiscence by guide and outfitter Bert Moore (1883-1972), published in the Winter 1996-1997 issue of the magazine New Brunswick Tree and Forest: "In 1900," wrote Moore, "there were very few deer in the Tobique–Nepisiguit country, but caribou were there in great numbers." He attributed the precipitous subsequent decline of the caribou to a rapid increase in the deer population. This, he assumed, led to competitition between the two species for a limited food supply, and to the caribou, now supposedly under-nourished and weakened, becoming more susceptible to disease.

Moore’s description of this disease is most intriguing. He characterizes the animals as suffering from tuberculosis, and notes that several were found dead in the woods. The last caribou he saw, in November 1928, was "walking in circles. I caught and examined it without difficulty," he notes, "and the next morning it was lying dead almost in the camp yard. One buck deer and two small bull moose were found in the Nictau Lake region about that time in a similar condition, and all were found dead later."

What is particularly interesting about Moore's account is that it may be the earliest on record of the symptoms in caribou of a parasite spread by its main host, the white-tailed deer. It was not until the early 1960s that this parasite, a tiny roundworm with the formidable name Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, was first shown to be the cause of "moose sickness." Further studies soon determined that its effects on caribou were similar to those in moose, but more severe and quick to develop.

At least four separate efforts to reintroduce caribou to Nova Scotia and Maine have failed—all apparently for the same reason. Fifty-one animals were released in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in 1968 and 1969, but none was sighted after 1972, and a study concluded that the herd probably fell victim to disease after contraction of the meningeal worm.

Moose probably survived because they may have more natural inbuilt immunity, and because they're relatively solitary animals. Caribou were herd animals, which amplifies the vectors for transmission.

In any case, at this point in Thule history, between 900 and 1200, Caribou are simply meat, fur, leather, bone and antler.

Last edited:
n pre-Columbian times, the Caribou range reaached as far as Idaho and New England, from what I can find on the internet. It currently is this:

those caribou you are seeing down in the rockies on the Canada/US border are mountain caribou - similar to arctic caribou, but slightly different.

Here's a fascinating resource, not just in terms of the carrying/load/draft and riding capacity of Caribou, but just about every other significant draft animal around.

This is a 'must skim' for anyone fascinated with Alternate History Scenarios which are wholly or partly dependent on unconventional domesticates or draft animals not used in our timeline. There's enough here to make some very good guesstimates. And using those, you can then project effectively to the economic capacities of your alt societies.

http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNAAM876.pdf

Besides which, its nerdcore reading all by itself. I had no idea that dogs were so competitive. Pound for pound, they match horses, and they beat comparable sized draft animals like goats and sheep like they was redheaded stepchildren.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever noticed how ASB it was that dogs ended up being a significant draft animal for anyone? We're talking a major predator here, and we're all made out of meat.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever noticed how ASB it was that dogs ended up being a significant draft animal for anyone? We're talking a major predator here, and we're all made out of meat.
Dogs are omnivores, though I'm not sure how much meat they require in their diet.

Eventually. But at this point, circa 900-1200, they haven't gotten around to domesticating Caribou yet. And even after domestication, they won't get around to riding for a few hundred years.

The larger absolute technical advantage will be the evolution of an agricultural package which provides more food, carries through bottlenecks and allows a much larger sustainable population. The downside of that package though, is that its all perrenial plants and so is not transported that easily.
I was thinking of them as compared to the Mississippians, Algonquins, and other established agriculturalists.

Another thing- with a higher population density they'll be more vulnerable to western diseases. They'll also be forced to do some innovation with sanitation if there are permanent cities.

What I really care about here is the impact this new Artican society has on world trade routes, if any.

Here's a link to a realtime mapping of polar sea ice. Although the Great circle route from Western Europe to China runs along northern Eurasia, well to the south of the polar zones for the most part, I suspect that if there is a fairly sophisticated civilization operating in the Arctic, they might be able to haul trade goods across the Arctic Ocean. The sea ice map suggests to me that it would be more reliable to stick to routes along North America (ITTL, Columbia) than along Siberia. Looking at topographical maps but considering that the sea route along the Pacific coast of Siberia looks like it won't stay reliably frozen for much of the year (one wants it either melted completely or completely frozen, but it looks like it spends much of the time between these states!) I suspect that they may want to complete the route to China by hauling overland across the NE Siberian peninsula. Fortunately it seems there is a deeply frozen salient of ice running from NW "Columbia" to NE Siberia.

So the Inuit, assuming they can facilitate movement of mass cargo over the ice, live along a potential major trade route.

One thing I wonder about is the possibility that sleds of some kind can be wind-powered; I'm not finding much on the subject in the Internet yet, just this so far. Sport ice"surfing"--really skiing with wind power--is not the same as driving a sleigh full of trade goods.

Even if ice sailing is possible over the relatively level ocean, I don't think it can work inland; that would be the time to switch over to a dogsled.

Apparently the qamutiq is the Inuit version of the sled, whose distinctive feature is being lashed together flexibly rather than nailed rigidly, so it can better endure the stresses of sledding over rough surfaces. Traditionally, there being no wood in the Arctic, they were made from caribou bones, with runners made from frozen fish! But our *Inuit imperialists, having set their capital up well into the wooded zone, clearly hold sway over ample timber resources; doubtless they will continue the tradition of greasing the runners with fish scales.

This page has the best picture I could find of a qamutiq.

It isn't clear to me what the limit of scale of a qamutiq design would be, nor how big it could be and still be hauled by a dog team or any other Arctic draft animal. Although the Wikipedia article says "It is adapted to the arctic sea ice environment," it isn't clear to me the design can stay afloat should the sled break through the ice; perhaps a large one can modify the rails into long narrow kayak type floats that serve as runners on solid ice but make the craft a catamaran should it break through?

Anyway if we are limited to mushing with dogs, that probably sets a practical limit on the size of a given sled/boat.

I think of these Inuit as being a bit like Snow Arabs; they live in and can with some effort transport items over an environment other peoples find uninhabitable.

So the Inuit, assuming they can facilitate movement of mass cargo over the ice, live along a potential major trade route.

One thing I wonder about is the possibility that sleds of some kind can be wind-powered; I'm not finding much on the subject in the Internet yet, just this so far. Sport ice"surfing"--really skiing with wind power--is not the same as driving a sleigh full of trade goods.

Even if ice sailing is possible over the relatively level ocean, I don't think it can work inland; that would be the time to switch over to a dogsled.
Ice sailing wouldn't work even if the sleds could be made big enough.
The arctic ice isn't smooth, or even rough, its been compared to mountain climbing. The ice buckles from pressure, forming ridges and waves, sometimes razor sharp. That's why dog sleds are so practical, you can unload it quickly, carry it over the ridge or buckle, and repack it without too much trouble.

Ice sailing wouldn't work even if the sleds could be made big enough.
The arctic ice isn't smooth, or even rough, its been compared to mountain climbing. The ice buckles from pressure, forming ridges and waves, sometimes razor sharp. That's why dog sleds are so practical, you can unload it quickly, carry it over the ridge or buckle, and repack it without too much trouble.

Darn. Ah well, I wasn't counting on ice sailing anyway, figuring if it were workable we'd have done more with it OTL.

So it's mush, mush, mush all the way then? Going by the results of the survey of draft animals DValdron pointed to, that actually dogs are as good as the best rival draft animals, and being omnivores in an environment where meat is actually more readily available than plant fodder, and the one domesticated animal we know for sure the Inuit would have, I'm assuming dogs, perhaps bred to a size unknown to OTL, are the power source. For hauling substantial loads, this means a highly developed system of meat to provide the dogs with.

A silver lining to the dark cloud of no way to make giant wind-sleighs is, if over-ocean sledding is comparable to sledding in some badlands, then going over land (provided we are talking about ice or snow covered land) is no extra obstacle! Well, one assumes that highlands are generally still to be avoided. But much of the direct route from Western Europe to Japan/North China I've been gazing at would run overland, across Siberia. Good to know that if the trip can be done at all, it makes little difference whether it is over land or sea, provided both are frozen over.

A map of the polar regions in Lovecraftian Gnomonic projection! The one advantage of gnomonic projection is, all straight lines correspond to great circle routes, otherwise everything else is screwy. But a straight line from London to Beijing on this map is how a great circle route would run.

It looks to me like, if dogsleds can take over substantial cargo loads, European ships would make port at Greenland's eastern coast, then dogsleds could run up that coast, around the north side of the island, over the ice, either along the northern islands or direct to northeastern Siberia, then over Siberia to the bay enclosed by Kamchatka peninsula, either for water transport over the bay or along the chain of islands from the peninsula to Japan, or overland some more into Manchuria and hence north China.

Insofar as this trade route becomes major, the strategic place to control and hence locate a capital at would seem to be the Greenland east and north coasts. Why this empire appears to have its center of gravity so far south and inland in Colombia remains to be explained; presumably European-east Asian trade is a fairly new thing if it is happening much at all, whereas the *Inuit have been investing heavily in politically dominating less deeply Arctic peoples to their south, hence the location of the capital so far into the forested belt.

IceMiceSituation.jpg

I'll admit, I had my reservations about another land of ____ and ____ timeline. Not to mention that this is leading DValdron to neglect his rabid (and possibly hungry) Green Antarctica fans... :D:D
But this is actually really well thought out, not to mention the writting is very good. Makes one realise that, contrary to Mr Diamond's hypothesis, which culture comes out on top is really a matter of blind chance more often than not.

Also, the four European powers are all maritime, while the Russian Navy in 1717 is still pretty new, having been founded by Peter the Great (assuming he wasn't butterflied; the fact that the western hemisphere continents have different names suggests some considerable divergence though not as much as it seems at first glance; for OTL North America to be named "Columbia" implies very little sensible divergence in Europe, at least southern, Mediterranean Europe, as late as 1492) in 1696 OTL.

Russian maritime presence in the Arctic Ocean was many centuries older than Peter's new navy.

Then there should be some Russians at the ceremony, unless:

They are being shunned;

Other Inuit or Arctican peoples farther west, based in Alaska or Siberia itself, have that contact sewed up;

Or, while in "the Arctic," they are in the waters from the Urals on west, and none of the Inuit-influenced Arctican societies have reached that far west yet.

I'm obviously eager to see how that interaction goes. It might tip the balance of Russia's development in a very different direction if they encounter a people they have difficulty conquering but find it profitable to trade with in their Arctic "back yard." Or maybe not; I suppose that characterizes a lot of relationships Russians had with various peoples--whom they eventually conquered.

Just looking at the sea ice maps as they are shown now, at this time of year in this year, it seems that the American shore of the Arctic ocean is more reliably frozen solid. But of course the recent years have been ones of dramatic warming of the Arctic in particular, and drastic thinning of the ice. During the climatic optimum when the new society was first diverging heavily from OTL, the sea may have been less frozen, but by the early 18th century we'd be in the middle of the Little Ice Age and perhaps then, all of the Arctic Ocean was firmly frozen over in mid-winter.

So in that case, the direct route to northeast Asia from Europe would actually run through Russia; if at ports like Murmansk or Archangel some kind of major transport artery involving dogsleds over the ice were established, Russia would be situated better than the maritime powers sailing to Greenland.

Of course when the Little Ice Age ends and the sea warms up some, their route becomes chancier; perhaps then a highly developed trade would shift partially to the more western-hemisphere route--and partially to Russian-developed strictly overland routes to the south. Ironically the Russians may pick up a lot of cultural tricks from the Arcticans--including crops and draft animals that enhance their ability to colonize from the south, but also techniques that enhance their overland hauling abilities in deep winter.

I gather the warming period didn't begin until well into the 19th century; by then not only might they be even better established than OTL in the boreal belt and steppes to the south, with greater populations along the Siberian trade routes, but also already into building transcontinental railroads.

Anyway it could simply be that they haven't had much contact with the Arcticans yet. Assuming they eventually do, I suspect that either the upshot will be nasty conflict, or what I think more likely, a splinter of the Arctican culture will get drawn strongly into a Russian orbit on more or less equal terms (the Russians not being able to take and hold territory against rival claimants who are at home there, or by the time they can, the relationship will have evolved into a symbiotic one) and be distinct from the main center on the Columbian continent (and its associated seas).

As I have speculated elsewhere, I expect Alaska to develop into a vibrant Arctican cultural center, sort of the Artican Greece to this east-of-the-continental-divide analog to Persia. And one reason for that would be it would be a confluence of many cultural currents--the Russian-influenced one from the western frontiers, contact with rather highly developed Pacific Northwest Native societies to the south, and of course the influences of the Imperial Inuit to the east. In other respects, far from the Greek status of being "but children" to the ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, and even Persian societies, Alaska is in many respects the Old Country of Inuit culture. So the Alaskan Inuit will have a lot of resources, material and cultural, to draw on; they may maintain a haughty independence of the eastern Empire or if drawn or forcibly incorporated into it, will become a major resource for that empire, one that will preoccupy its rulers if they are wise. Or perhaps a successful subordination of Alaska to the eastern Inuit will involve suppression of these potentials I see there.

Subscribed for now.

Lots of questions about food, diet, ecology, animals, native relations but need to get back to work. Will try to PM you later.

foresterab

Good news, friends! My computer is finally up and running!

As to the Russia question, it is very good of you all to ask. While I obviously can't reveal to much, I will say that the Russians are not at the ceremony not because they are in a bad way with the Thule, but because a state further west has them--as Shevek aptly put it--sewed up. How far west, I won't say. ;)

Culture is a moving target....

CULTURE IS A MOVING TARGET

The thing with culture, is that it is simply the accumulated activity of human beings at any particular point in time. And that activity, even in apparently stable societies, is a constantly shifting thing. Literally, it changes from moment to moment, and sometimes these changes are big and obvious and showy, and sometimes they’re subtle and imperceptible. But like a river, it always flows, always in motion. Defining or describing a culture is tricky, because the target is always moving.

In our culture, we’ve gone from a horsepower and steam engine economy to moon rockets, fossil fuels and high tech electronics in the space of a few generations. That's rapid transformation. Even a decade is now another world.

But even in the staid middle ages, we saw constant change. Carrots and onions spread through farms, changing diets, new diseases reduced the population, new technologies like horsecollars or stirrups changed lives, extended lifespans, increased food availability, altered wealth, caused cultures to rise and fall against each other. The world of a medieval peasant at his death was a very different place than the world at his death, though sometimes those differences might be hard to spot.

The Thule culture had spent two thousand years in Alaska, apparently slumbering. But that wasn’t really the case. It had evolved, slowly and incrementally, but it had evolved, gradually becoming something that would inevitably burst out and overwhelm the north. And that means it wasn’t static, something was going on, something was building up.

In OTL, the Thule culture would change and adapt as it expanded out of the north. The technique of ice fishing for seal, for instance, was not part of the original Thule package, but borrowed from the Dorset. That technique did not make its way back to Alaska. Other parts of the Thule package were abandoned as the Thule culture moved steadily eastward, being found redundant to new circumstances or requiring more time and skill than was useful iln the new lands.

Everywhere the Thule went, they found brand new landscapes, perhaps of the same sort as they had known, but every specific detail being different in every particular. Every hill, every rise, every inlet and bay, every lake was a different place, requiring adjustments and adaptations. Even in our time, Thule culture was a moving target, altering from day to day, year to year, century to century, changing and adjusting, in small or large ways to meet new landscapes.

The Thule culture of this timeline was already subtly different when it emerged from Alaska. In brand new landscapes, with new mixtures of resources, handicaps, opportunities and challenges, those differences would inevitably grow more pronounced.

The Thule package in this timeline had a few more arrows in its quiver - specifically, sweetvetch and claytonia as a valued part of diet, and a small cultural twist which saw humans helping to maintain and propagate the populations of these plants, which in turn allowed a recurring sustained natural harvest. This tiny cultural shift would have effects.

Population grew, in part because Sweetvetch allowed the hunter gatherer Thule culture to bypass the regular scarce periods in seasons, and in part because it increased the sum total of food available to the Thule.

With that, came subtle changes. Sweetvetch patches had to be identified in the summer, but had to be harvested during late fall and early spring. In the homelands, this mapscape had evolved naturally as part of traditional lifestyle.

But moving into new territories posed new challenges. Traditional knowledge was no longer sufficient, Sweetvetch patches had to be identified on the fly as groups moved through new landscapes, these patches had to be fixed in memory, locations marked with stones, judgements had to be made as to the maturity and likely harvest of patches, and conscious decisions had to be taken to revisit these areas in other seasons for harvesting.

Nor could this stabilize as traditional knowledge, accumulating small cultural shifts meant that sweetvetch patches were in flux, human propagation meant new patches. The mental mapscape had to become ever more complex in space and time, identifying existing patches, newly sewn patches, new potential planting patches, harvested patches, and patches in different states of maturity. And the complex mental mapscape had to shift continually, revised and updated with each season.

The result was within Thule society, the development of subtle intellectual tools and skills not quite paralleled in OTL, but which potentially formed a basis for further developments.

To assist in locating the plants, patches would be marked with stones, and eventually with patterns of stones. As sophistication grew, these stone arrangements would also serve as guides to the maturity of patches, with stones added from one year to the next until they were ready for harvest. Since it was often difficult to assess the age of a patch from the specimens growing there, the arrangements of stones became a kind of cumulative record. Uniformity of harvesting lead to uniformity of age of plants within a patch, which increased the value of uniform harvesting.

Distinguishing between edible and toxic varieties of Hedysarum, determining when particular patches or specimens were most harvestable, and finding and harvesting under difficult winter conditions of snowfall required further skill and knowledge. Knowledge accumulated, including noticing which other plants seemed to work well with sweetvetch, what conditions seemed most favourable, what conditions or plants seemed to discourage sweetvetch or be associated with poorer harvests.

One result was an accumulating cultural specialization. To some extent, hunter/gatherers had always had a degree of specialization. There will always be some people who are better hunters, some who are better toolmakers, etc. At the extreme ends of specialization were shamanic traditions, involving esoteric knowledge. The accumulating complexity of plant lore, and the spiritual components of ceremonial giving, tended to drive mastery of earth and plants towards the shamanic end.

This was a fairly gradual but not very straightforward process. Knowledge of plants, and particularly edible plants remained very widespread, though tied with spiritual practices, but increasingly higher and more specialized forms of knowledge became the property of a specialist class, shamans. This class in turn communicated with its members, accumulating and exchanging observations, and engaging in a constant low level experimentation that tended to produce an increasingly sophisticated practical/spiritual outlet.

As the shamanic tradition evolved, and as shamanic lore evolved, they became more and more adept at ensuring successful plantings in ‘virgin patches’. Human selection became more deliberate as Shaman’s intentionally began to recognize different expressed traits and began to value some traits over others, choosing and promoting specific plants for greater proliferation.

Active magical measures began to be taken to promote sweetvetch, including directing crude small scale communal labour efforts, including destroying bear root, uprooting punishing ‘bad magic’ weeds from patches, and crude landscaping such as digging small trenches or windbreaks or encouraging arctic willow.

At the same time, there were other factors at work. Population, as noted, had increased. This was a factor of both the increase in total food supply. But earlier and more critically, it had the effect of overcoming seasonal periods of scarcity that had limited population.

Hunter Gatherer cultures commonly have populations that are a fraction of the total potential food supply in their environment, commonly 20 to 30%. This was because of seasonal scarce periods, which tended to increase infant mortality and reduce birthrates. Hunter gatherer cultures were generally mobile and had little capacity to preserve and store food. But sweetvetch and other roots could be stored, lasted a long time, and could be harvested further in periods of scarcity. Even relatively small volumes of sweetvetch eased scarcity bottlenecks, and allowed a much larger carrying capacity. Hunter gatherer populations could sustainably double or triple or more, without too large an alteration to their lifestyle.

As the population increased, the amount of sweetvetch available increased even further, and additional root species, claytonia and roseroot began to be distributed widely, which meant that the hunter/gatherer societies populations could increase up to and even beyond theoretical maximums.

There were subtle lifestyle changes taking place as well, beyond simple increases in population density. Sweetvetch harvesting demanded compromises during harvesting season, you couldn’t be in a dramatically different area such as remote tundra or offshore. Harvesting requirements shaped travel routes. Where harvesting requirements were incompatible with critical hunting activities, such as caribou on the tundra or seal hunting offshore, then either one or another activity had to be foregone, or the clan or tribe had to split up to pursue both opportunities and reunite. This drove social complexity and increasing specialization.

Sweetvetch was a static harvestable. It didn’t move around, its location was fixed and predictable. In comparison, any kind of game tended to be mobile within an area. Confined to specific locations, there was a much greater emphasis on territoriality and possession. Rival groups were a threat. Patches needed to be guarded and patrolled. The territories held by a particular clan or group shrank, and with that shrinking came a diminishing opportunity for wild harvest and hunting, and an increasing reliance on sweetvetch and other roots as a key stable component of diets.

As resource areas became smaller, inequalities in the distribution of resources became more important. Some groups had access to seals and sealing, others had better access to caribou, access to different fish species, hunting animals, to raw materials such as flint, bone and driftwood began to diverge more and more strongly. Even the distribution of sweetvetch and other roots varied from clan to clan.

To address these inequalities raiding and organized warfare became commonplace. The amount of violence escalated with the population and with the diminishing of resource territories. Requirements for raiding and warfare lead to alliances and informal federations and coalitions. Within these voluntary exchanges allowed goods to move between communities, and eventually between federations and coalitions. Formalized systems of exchange on economic rather than ceremonial levels, often mediated by shamans and headmen, became widespread.

All of this was taking place throughout most of the new inuit territories on an evolving and unstable basis. Cultural shifts were feeding into one another. Populations were growing, becoming more territorial, less mobile, more reliant and more inclined to communal labour.

Essentially, Thule culture was building up towards a crisis, although crisis was not the right word. Thule culture, from several different directions, was slowly building towards a tipping point, a point of transformation. There were new and developing intellectual and abstract tools, new and evolving social roles, new forms of relating or interacting, communal labour, forms of exchange, greater and greater population densities, more and more confined territories, and an ever increasing accumulating sophistication with respect to these key plants.

When it finally took place, it would seem radical, but the underlying trends had been building for a long time, even centuries, percolating along under the surface of what might have seemed a very traditional way of life. These trends had gathered, fed each other, built up pressure, and eventually.... the world changes.

just wanted to express my love for this TL. Great details and POD, love the style of prose, love where this is going! Im really excited about the prospects for arctic trade and really interested to see how the Thule interact with other N American cultures.

Now if only we can get another update on the story part of the TL... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.