Lamb Reigns Supreme, How would U.S. society / culture be different today?

All great responses and very much appreciated.

Only one point of clarification. It is Lamb, not Mutton which would be the final meat delivered. Lamb when cooked right is amazing, Mutton.....that is another discussion.

I've had lamb a few times and always been deeply unimpressed. It's probably just that it doesn't do right.

Though I feel like it's a lot easier to cook a decent beef steak then it is to prepare lamb that is good.

I've had lamb a few times and always been deeply unimpressed. It's probably just that it doesn't do right.

Though I feel like it's a lot easier to cook a decent beef steak then it is to prepare lamb that is good.
Not really, it’s just a matter of what people are used to cooking. But if you try cooking lamb as if it was beef it turns out horrible, and vice versa.
Although my mum is equally terrible with anything, she can make any animal taste like an elderly reebok.

Yeah mutton can taste like eating a woollen cardigan smeared in hand cream, but can also be nice. Lamb is usually nice provided it’s good quality and prepared carefully which will never happen in institutional food prep. However these comments only apply to Anglo-Saxon style “cooking”.

Get somebody from south or east of the Med to cook you a sheep, OMFG so delicious tastiest meat ever. I’d rather have good lamb kebab than a good beefsteak any day.

Central Asians, Pakistanis and Chineses wish to talk with you about sheep.

Ethical vegetarianism might get a bit of a boost in this scenario, since people will probably be more susceptible to seeing cute, cuddly lambs sent to the slaughter, as opposed to dumb, lumbering bovine, who are rarely anthropomorphized in any appealing way.

AFAIK what is sold as "lamb" in the US is actually mutton. It's from adult sheep unless it's called "young lamb".

But yeah, grown sheep are probably still more anthropomorphized than cows.

Is there a way post WWII to increase the immigration of the Basque, Greeks, Turks, Lebanese and other southern Europeans/northern Africa , middle eastern who herd and eat sheep/Lamb more then traditional western and northern Europeans ? Like have more Basque settle in places like central California , Idaho and rural parts of the PNW then move to bigger cities and open restaurants ? Lamb to me taste real good when cooked right.. I always take Lamb over beef or chicken at the Greek and Turkish Peta places.

Not really, it’s just a matter of what people are used to cooking. But if you try cooking lamb as if it was beef it turns out horrible, and vice versa.
Although my mum is equally terrible with anything, she can make any animal taste like an elderly reebok.
Y’all gotta have some kibbi! Both baked/fried kibbi and kibbi nayeh (raw lamb with some seasoning) is amazing.

It’s just a matter of culture, most people in the US are descended from people groups who used lamb/sheep as a sort of throwaway food, and generally didn’t use the meat in the right way, or outright didn’t eat lamb/sheep at all. And considering that Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food doesn’t really appeal to most Americans, at least beyond a few select dishes served at “Mediterranean” restaurants, I just can’t see how exactly you could get people to accept lamb/sheep meat when the way it’s prepared doesn’t fit the American palette or is bland if edible, I really can’t see it happening. Even today, when many people think of themselves as open to other food and cultures, if you ask someone if they want lamb they’ll be quite resistant to the concept.

Central Asians, Pakistanis and Chineses wish to talk with you about sheep.
All east of the med, no?
But it’s kinda weird just how much of a stranglehold beef has managed to get in the US. Even in the 52nd state there is a lot of traditional style lamb (classically Welsh lamb) eaten. France, Scandinavia, Germany will all chow down some lamb so even in the “bland belt” of north and west Europe its a fairly common meat.
I guess to directly answer the OP it would mean at a minimum greater diversity of food prep/culture as I find it hard to imagine a complete 1:1 switch of beefopoly to sheepopoly.
In terms of demand - if you can somehow arrange for the immigration restrictions to miss turkey /greece you could have huge number of immigrants arrive following the various Greek/Turkish issues in late 19th early 20th century - which would give some different cuisine as well as possibly the most vicious street gang battles of all time. But that is very late to cause such a radical shift.
Supply - it would not surprise me if the various grazing and land rules are set up to favour cattle, since the beef men won the grazing wars. May need some tweaks on that side too.

Live export has massively increased the price of lamb and hogget so much that they aren’t poverty food in Australia any more.

That yanks can’t cook lamb is a culinary problem. But this thread is correct in identifying push over pull factors.