Kolyma's Shadow: An Alternate Space Race

Wow! A Turtledove nomination for both Graphic Art and After 1900 - I'm honoured!

Just to note though, for the Graphic Art it's necessary to nominate just one image - so if someone has a favourite from the portfolio, please make sure to nominate it (and find a second) before the nominations close... which is today, 22 Feb :eek:

You more than deserve it Nixonshead, for both your writing and rendering skills make the space section of this site great! Along with Eyes Turned Skyward and all those other timelines of course. All I (and probably many other readers with me) can hope for is that you'll take TTL into the present! After all, what is that dastardly Branson up to, and what will the new space shuttle look like? Great teasers for a fifth part...

Hello,

Is this it then for Kolyma's Shadow? I understand you said there wasn't going to be a structured Part V, due to real life stuff, which is obviously more important, but you did say that you would release some parts of it from time to time, along with artwork, so is that still on the way?

Hello,

Is this it then for Kolyma's Shadow? I understand you said there wasn't going to be a structured Part V, due to real life stuff, which is obviously more important, but you did say that you would release some parts of it from time to time, along with artwork, so is that still on the way?

Sorry I missed this - that pesky RL stuff getting in the way again. To answer your question, I am still hoping to come back and add more to the world of Kolyma's Shadow, but I'm really not sure when. Aside from activities in the wider world, I'm currently (slowly!) working on a new timeline (I am regrettably easy to distract...), so it could be a while before I pick this up again. :(

One thing I have gotten round to is putting together a wallpaper for Part-4, as well as putting all of the wallpapers up on the Wiki.

(Click for the full sized image).

Last edited:
Congratulations on the nominations, nixonshead, and for telling a great story. There were some very nice little jokes along the way, which always help a story be more plausible to me, and of course, ever improving artwork which never fails to keep people coming back for more.
It would be lovely to see this returned to / completed when you have finished your current protects :)

Sorry I missed this - that pesky RL stuff getting in the way again. To answer your question, I am still hoping to come back and add more to the world of Kolyma's Shadow, but I'm really not sure when. Aside from activities in the wider world, I'm currently (slowly!) working on a new timeline (I am regrettably easy to distract...), so it could be a while before I pick this up again. :(

Sorry to hear about pesky real life stuff, I know that feel. I hope you can add some more KS stuff soon. Is this new timeline going to be space related?

Sorry to hear about pesky real life stuff, I know that feel. I hope you can add some more KS stuff soon. Is this new timeline going to be space related?

Well, it's not actually too pesky, just inconvenient for finding time to write. A couple of points I've been hoping to tackle in Kolyma vignettes are British politics in the 1970s-early '80s (the last time we checked this, Rab Butler had become PM for the second time in 1968), and the development of SST (as mentioned in passing at the end of Part-IV). If anyone would care to speculate on those areas, or any other developments in the world of Kolyma's Shadow - up to and including writing full vignettes on them - I'd be very interested to hear your ideas (and possibly steal them later :p).

The new TL will indeed be space related, and graphics-heavy (the main reason it's taking so long to put together), but I suspect you could have guessed that ;)

The new TL will indeed be space related, and graphics-heavy (the main reason it's taking so long to put together), but I suspect you could have guessed that ;)
Another timeline of spacey goodness? Yes please! ^_^

nixonshead said:
If anyone would care to speculate on those areas, or any other developments in the world of Kolyma's Shadow - up to and including writing full vignettes on them - I'd be very interested to hear your ideas (and possibly steal them later :p).
I'm hoarding most of my space ideas for my own perpetually-in-development timeline. (Mostly because it started as just that, a timeline with events listed by year; but since I found this place, I've been trying to give it a more narrative structure, like some of my favorite TLs here.)

Well, it's not actually too pesky, just inconvenient for finding time to write. A couple of points I've been hoping to tackle in Kolyma vignettes are British politics in the 1970s-early '80s (the last time we checked this, Rab Butler had become PM for the second time in 1968), and the development of SST (as mentioned in passing at the end of Part-IV). If anyone would care to speculate on those areas, or any other developments in the world of Kolyma's Shadow - up to and including writing full vignettes on them - I'd be very interested to hear your ideas (and possibly steal them later :p).

When will this new TL come out? I'd be happy to make some extra art for it if you want :)

When will this new TL come out? I'd be happy to make some extra art for it if you want :)

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for a few weeks. The new TL is taking longer than expected, due to a combination of the complexity of the images I'm putting together and the fact I recently found an excellent reference book for it that's making me itch to add lots more details (most of which I'll probably end up editing out :rolleyes:) and generally extending the writing process. Hopefully by the end of the year...

In the meantime, I've gone back through the posts and repaired the links to the images on the Wiki that were broken at the dawn of the Third Age. I've also fixed the name of Safir/Sapfir, and am about to fix the U-2's engines back in Part-I (all hail the unlimited edit functionality :biggrin:)

Such teasing! It seems like you're putting together something BIG. Would you say it's more extensive than KS, or does it just apply a higher level of detail to a smaller subject?
Also, I saw the flickr page in your signature, and I'm wondering, what is that big space station from?

Archibald

Banned
I was reading the Wikipedia page on the much maligned Henry Wallace and found this
After meeting Vyacheslav Molotov, Wallace arranged a trip to the "Wild East" of Soviet Union. On May 23, 1944, he started a 25-day journey accompanied by Owen Lattimore. Coming from Alaska, they landed at Magadan, where they were received by Sergo Goglidze and Dalstroi director Ivan Nikishov, both NKVD generals. The NKVD presented a fully sanitized version of the slave labor camps in Magadan and Kolyma to their American guests, claiming that all the work was done by volunteers. The delegation was provided with entertainment, and by some accounts left impressed with the "development" of Siberia and the spirit of the "volunteers". Lattimore's film of the visit tells that "a village... in Siberia is a forum for open discussion like a town meeting in New England."[31] This visit took place while the U.S. and the Soviet Union were allies; American propaganda regularly portrayed the Soviet Union in a positive light. The trip continued through Mongolia and then to China.

Now imagine if Wallace brought Korolev to the United States ! (highly unlikely, ok. But I thought it would make for a fun P.O.D)

As fasquardon says, the timing is all wrong; if the regime does not change its mind regarding the terms of Korolev's sentence early on, his death in the far East seems to be only a matter of time, and not a very long time. He was in a bad way already OTL when brought back. I forget whether nixonshead's POD involves his dying earlier, before his fate is reconsidered in Moscow OTL, or whether he is left off the list of those to be recycled in a more comfortable role. Either way he's gone long long before 1944, and if the regime reconsiders in time to save his life, he will not be in this Potemkin Village show in 1944 but carefully sequestered from all foreign eyes.

Other figures than Wallace were given these tours of course, much earlier. But as far as I can tell, Archibald, you are suggesting that one of the Americans decides to take their handlers at their word and randomly choose some Zek to question, in a friendly manner of course. And tests the claim that these are free workers voluntarily building a new worker's paradise for the glory of it by offering to take the fellow on tour in the USA where he can bear witness to the democracy of it all.

Now put yourself in the prisoner's position. How high will he rate the probability the authorities will actually permit him to go over to American custody? The only safe answer is to politely decline, claiming too much devotion to the hard work at hand to slack off, even for the sake of a chance to advocate in America. The regime can of course supply some other volunteer, someone who has a lot to lose if he slips off the tether and defects, as a substitute. The randomly chosen Zek knows that if he can get out of the Soviet Union and loose in America he can probably find someone who will shelter him in return for a sweeping denunciation of the Bolsheviks and all their works--but he also knows he'd have to run a long gauntlet first, and that he can't change his story until he gets away from these particular gullible or fellow-travelling complicit Americans who want him to take a pro-Soviet line. He might even have enough Russian, even Soviet, patriotism not to want to air the USSR's dirty laundry in the capitalist West anyway. The more eager he secretly is to get out and escape, the the more certain he will be the Soviet authorities will never let him go. He has to play it safe, stay, and hope he gets rewarded somehow for being a stand-up guy.

I've certainly never heard of the Westerners who toured the USSR returning with randomly picked citizen witnesses of this kind and it seems pretty obvious any time this appeared to happen the regime chose someone with hostages. And perhaps some of these defected anyway.

No way would the authorities allow someone with technical knowledge be risked on such a junket. He wouldn't even be anywhere in sight of the tour.

It is also hard to imagine an American professing the kind of friendship to the USSR these figures did having the gall to put regime claims to the test in this way.

Frankly although sometimes I too wonder at the conventional wisdom that paints Wallace so darkly, this story of yours seems to justify the worst aspersions cast on him.

Archibald

Banned
I found this little gem
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a303832.pdf

In the vast cold star-studded stillness of space a 100 miles above the Atlantic Ocean, a futuristic spaceplane, looking like a black twin-tailed delta-shaped fighter aircraft, fired its retro-rockets and began its final maneuvers for reentry. Within minutes a terrific boom signaled the boost-glider's return into Earth's atmosphere. A military air traffic controller at Andrews AFB, Maryland, radioed a priority clearance to the Dyna-Soar's pilot, 44-year-old Colonel "Al" Crews. While Dyna-Soar may seem like an unusual name for a spaceplane, Air Force engineers gave it the name based on its mode of flight; it "dynamically soars" through the atmosphere using the energy generated from its reentry and the maneuverability offered by its aerodynamic design.

Looking up from his desk, the controller glanced at a wall calendar. It was 6 October 1973, a Jewish holiday--Yom Kippur. Half a world away, a war had just started. In a coordinated assault, the Egyptian and Syrian armies launched a surprise attack on the Israelis at 2:00 p.m. The equivalent of the total forces of NATO in Europe would be flung against Israel's borders. As the attack began, 240 Egyptian aircraft crossed the Suez Canal, striking three airfields in the Sinai, surface-to-air missile batteries, and bombing Israeli command and control centers, artillery positions, and fortified strongpoints. Simultaneously, 2,000 field artillery pieces and mortars opened up along the entire front. In the first minute of the attack, 10,500 shells fell on Israeli positions at a rate of 175 shells per second. Tanks moved up ramps prepared on sand ramparts, depressed their guns and fired point-blank at preselected Israeli fortifications. Surface-to-surface missiles joined the 3,000 tons of concentrated destruction launched against a handful of fortifications that turned the entire east bank of the Suez Canal into an inferno for 53 minutes. The Syrians performed a similarly devastating attack against Israeli defenses along the Golan Heights. It lasted 50 minutes.

For the air traffic controller, it was hard to believe that the pilot with whom he had just spoken had, minutes ago, flown over this tremendous battlefield and was already back with high resolution photographs showing the precise deployments of the warring armies. Rocketing into space on top of an Air Force Titan IIIC missile, Col. Crews, one of only six Dyna-Soar pilots, had responded shortly after the battle began by overflying the Middle East on a path that took him over Jerusalem. With his mission for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) completed, he then maneuvered his hypersonic boost-glider down through the atmosphere to a pinpoint landing at Andrews AFB, Maryland. Officially, of course, he had performed no such mission; rather he had flown his Dyna-Soar on a routine weather reconnaissance flight.

Like the U-2 and SR-71 pilots before the development of Dyna-Soar, Colonel Crews now "publicly" flew for the CIA and the Air Force. However, because Dyna-Soar operated in space--like NRO's unmanned reconnaissance satellites--it flew at the request of the president and his National Security Council (NSC). In this particular case, Col. Crews gained valuable information about the Egyptians' and the Syrians' intentions in their new struggle with the Israelis.

After landing "T-Rex," the code-name for Crews' Dyna-Soar, he immediately took the stored photographic information (other "real-time" information had already been dispatched by downlinks and examined by the NRO), that had been processed as the glider maneuvered for reentry and landing, to debriefing. Shortly afterwards, it would be in the hands of the president. The information showed, respectively, the two forces operating from the Suez Canal and the Golan Heights rapidly pushing the surprised Israelis back. The photographic, radar, and electronic intelligence information Col. Crews gathered with Dyna-Soar's multisensor reconnaissance suite would prove invaluable to the United States and its ally, Israel.

Additionally, he had been able to redirect his boost-glider's sensors on an area not originally included in his mission briefing, the Soviet Mediterranean fleet. Had this been an unmanned mission, the fleet would have gone unreconnoitered for several days because no other intelligence information provided a reason for studying the Soviet's actions in this area. Nor would the NRO's surveillance satellite routinely covering this area have seen the fleet's actions because the Soviets planned them with full knowledge of the satellites timing and coverage. The information Col. Crews and his squadron of Dyna-Soar pilots provided in their twenty-four-hour coverage of the crisis turned the tide of war and averted a superpower confrontation. By 15 October, all the warring nations accepted a United Nations Security Council cease-fire resolution.

Last edited:
On other threads he's said that, aside from occasional vignettes (the way that Jonathan Edelstein will occasionally have something to add to Malê Rising) there will not be a continuation; it is left to the imagination what might happen next, whether anyone ever goes to the Moon and if so, who when and how, etc.

I wish it were not so.