Kolyma's Shadow: An Alternate Space Race

And so part IV of this glorious TL ends, with eccentric millionaires coming out of the woodwork and employing rocket scientists as odd as themselves to take them into space. At least Kayser won't be working for any militaristic regimes, just their corporate equivalent :p

Really looking forward to part V. As this is just the FIRST Space Race ending, I hope we have a lot more awesomeness to look forward to. But hey, who would such a renewed space race involve? US vs. SU again? Europe vs. China? Branson vs. Bigelow? Whatever it might be, it'll surely be awesome!

Thank you once more, Nixonshead. Your great space-based TL is an inspiration to us all. Let's hope other TLs like 2001, Explorers and the Selene Project will bridge the gap...

Nice update!

Somewhat sad to see the USSR on the verge of collapse ITTL aswell :( ...

The early 1980s are still not too late for the USSR to reform its economy. It could gradually open itself more. Besides, some reforms did take place ITTL starting during Kirilenko's term, unlike IOTL where Brezhnev did not do anything at all. Maybe the fall in oil prices makes them realize that they need to reform more?

Richard Branson in SPACE ?!
article-2546173-1AF57AF200000578-172_634x417.jpg

This is epic! :) Hope he lives to be the first astronaut ITTL.

I kind of hate Richard Branson so if Private/Commercial Space Tourism gets a First Person in this TL I really hope it is not him.

Roger Redux said:
I like the Richard Branson tease though. ... ... Please don't kill him! :eek:
As far as Frank Church being PotUS, honestly I can't comment, because I've never heard of him.

Branson has proved pretty indestructable IOTL, so I’d say the chances are good he’ll survive.

Frank Church IOTL is probably most famous for his chairing a Committee investigating intelligence agency abuses following Watergate. ITTL, with no Watergate there’s not been a corresponding Committee, but political butterflies (including involvement in supporting nation-building in South Vietnam) has given him different breaks that have brought him to prominence.

dimovski said:
Somewhat sad to see the USSR on the verge of collapse ITTL aswell :(

EcoBOOM said:
The early 1980s are still not too late for the USSR to reform its economy. It could gradually open itself more. Besides, some reforms did take place ITTL starting during Kirilenko's term, unlike IOTL where Brezhnev did not do anything at all. Maybe the fall in oil prices makes them realize that they need to reform more?

“Verge of collapse” is perhaps a bit extreme. The cracks are definitely showing, but the edifice is tough and it’s becoming clear that things can’t go on this way. However, overall the Soviets are probably in a slightly better position than at the same time IOTL. Their economy took a bigger hit in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s from Shelepin’s military build-up, but has seen better performance in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s.

The realisation of the need to reform is certainly there (it’s been something Teplov’s been pushing since Shelepin’s time). Whether the ability is there within the Soviet political system to reform sufficiently to save the economy (and, perhaps, the Union) is still an open question. The Khozraschyot reforms have given them a bit of a head-start, and moves towards more democratic government in Eastern Europe (in particular in Poland) could point a way forward for political reform, but it’s still a path strewn with landmines.

dimovski said:
However, what I'm really curious about... Why a black Mercedes? Did the XJ flop in this timeline? Did it retain that 40s-50s look of the 420G or what?

Bahamut-255 said:
But based on what you've written, it's pretty clear that the UK Car Industry is hurting in a big way right now, which, it did IOTL as well. No surprise there given everything that was acting to bring it down - I'm looking at you, SD1. :mad:

Why a Mercedes? No significant reason, other than they make decent high-end cars and, perhaps, as a subtle attempt to make Kayser comfortable by using a car from his hometown of Stuttgart.

Jaguar ITTL are part of the nationalised British Motor Company that Gilmore poked fun at. They still make pretty good luxury cars (although not the most reliable), so Gilmore’s teasing isn’t quite fair, at least where the Jaguar brand are concerned, but the BMC in general doesn’t have a great reputation.

Michel Van said:
Richard Branson in SPACE ?!

Bahamut-255 said:
Richard Branson in Space? Now that is one MASSIVE PR Boost! Assuming it goes well of course. But the 90% Reduction in launch costs? That's certainly a major challenge, but if their design is as basic as they say it is, I suppose it can be done.

omnimercurial said:
I kind of hate Richard Branson so if Private/Commercial Space Tourism gets a First Person in this TL I really hope it is not him.

I’m glad you enjoyed the twist :D The part was ending on a bit of a downer, so I’d like to thank my superb collaborators e of pi and Brainbin for inspiring this plot point, above and beyond all of the excellent support they’ve provided to the whole timeline.

All I would say at this point is don’t assume it’ll be all plain sailing. As many noted earlier, Kayser’s claims for his rockets IOTL did not always match the reality, and Branson’s gift for PR sometimes makes it challenging to get his achievements to match his hype. However, such a high-profile venture is likely to have wider consequences, whether or not things go fully to plan.

Archibald said:
That Dynasoar night landing picture... just beautiful. Straight out of a sci-fi movie.

The inspiration is actually a real photo - the landing of STS-135, the end of an era IOTL.

Petike said:
The ATL ASTP with a DynaSoar was pretty cool. :D

Glad you liked it! It was good fun to write.

TheBatafour said:
And so part IV of this glorious TL ends, with eccentric millionaires coming out of the woodwork and employing rocket scientists as odd as themselves to take them into space. At least Kayser won't be working for any militaristic regimes, just their corporate equivalent :p

Indeed, with closer ties to US government work (not to mention his taking of US citizenship - not mentioned in the final draft, but it was in earlier versions), he’s freedom to associate with some of his more… dubious OTL clients is more restricted. Hence he’s been forced to look for a different type of wealthy individual willing to fund his dreams.

Roger Redux said:
And now the waiting game.... Any idea how long it'll be before Part V? I would presume not until after the holidays. (so maybe March-ish at the absolute earliest?)

TheBatafour said:
Really looking forward to part V. As this is just the FIRST Space Race ending, I hope we have a lot more awesomeness to look forward to. But hey, who would such a renewed space race involve? US vs. SU again? Europe vs. China? Branson vs. Bigelow? Whatever it might be, it'll surely be awesome!

Thank you once more, Nixonshead. Your great space-based TL is an inspiration to us all. Let's hope other TLs like 2001, Explorers and the Selene Project will bridge the gap...

TaintedLion said:
So... when is Part V coming out? :D

So, the $64 000 question ;) I’m afraid that right now I don’t have a good answer for you. Offline events mean that I’m likely to have a lot less time for writing than has been the case up until now, so my current feeling is that Part-IV marks the last of the ‘formal’ Parts of the timeline. I am hoping to write more individual posts on specific topics, some set within the period of the existing parts, others taking the story forward into the late 80s and beyond, but these will be coming out on an ad-hoc basis. I’m also planning to continue the illustrations, especially to fill in some notable gaps (M-1, Liberty, Safir…), but again, the timetable is uncertain.

So thanks to everyone for your support and comments. Special thanks also to e of pi and Brainbin for their huge support and inspiration, without which this timeline would not exist. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading the story, and I look forward to providing future updates for your enjoyment.

A quick illustration update: Sapfir-2 as it appeared rounding the Moon, March 1976. You'll note the resemblance to OTL's LK-1 design for the same mission.

fetch.php

Last edited:
What does "Chasovoy" mean?

Using Google Translate...
Czech makes it the name of a town (I think)
Croatian makes it "time", but back translating time into Croat gives Vrmja (sp?), essentially identical to the Russian.

Not being able to easily enter cyrillic, I can't translate the Russian directly.

I didn't have an easy way to enter Cyrillic text either, nor would I have been sure which letters to use anyhow.:eek:

But Google Translate offered the option of "did you mean -----" which I could hardly read but guessed might be right. Let's see if I can include a window capture in this message...It was rather involved but I think you can see it now!

You know, you'd think they'd translate the definition too rather than just give in in Russian!:p

I'll capture, convert file format, and post that here too.

Looks like if we had to choose one word it would be "clock."

I suspect it's an ATL name Nixonshead developed, and the intended meaning is probably "sentry," given that it's a manned observation station project and when I type "senty" into google translate, it spits out "chasovoy".

The intent was “Sentry”, reflecting its military recon mission. I omitted to run this past my Russian friends for a sanity check, so “Chasovoy” is pure Google Translate. I’ll see if I can get a confirmation on that. As far as I know, there was no OTL programme with this name.
I was wondering if anyone ever found a better translation/actually speaks Russian? Not having any clue myself I did a search for alternate (i.e. non-Google) translators; I found https://www.translate.com/ which says it's translations are by Microsoft Translator and it gave me this: (English = Cyrillic = phonetic transliteration of audio provided by site)
Sentinel = Страж = Strach/stratch/strash/stratsch
Sentry = Караул = Karawl/carrowl (which -as a space station name- I can all too easily hear Americans calling 'The Corral'.)

"Chasovoy" just results in a loop: using 'detect language' to Russian gave me the Cyrillic Часовой which Russian to English just gave me Chasovoy again. Which amused me. :D Obvious glitch or is Google really that bad? It does say Microsoft, so I'm inclined to say glitch. :D

"Chasovoy" does indeed mean "Sentry" in russian.
If you don't believe me then here is a wiktionary article: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/часовой

As a sidenote: I always wanted to ask if "Safir" was intended to mean Sapphire in russian? If it was, then there is a missed "p" in the middle, as in russian it would be "Сапфир"("Sapfir").

If you don't believe me then here is a wiktionary article: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9

As a sidenote: I always wanted to ask if "Safir" was intended to mean Sapphire in russian? If it was, then there is a missed "p" in the middle, as in russian it would be "Сапфир"("Sapfir").
Thank you, I never knew you could use wiktionary as a translator.:)
Also, yeah I assumed it was meant to "Sapphire" as well.

EDIT: Apparantly '
Караул' means 'guard' in the context of "Guard! (Help!)"; and Страж is a better word for 'sentinel'.

Last edited:
If you don't believe me then here is a wiktionary article: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/часовой

Thanks for the confirmation!

Whoops! That was indeed my intention. Chelomei apparently had a tendency to name projects for precious stones ("Orel" being an exception ITTL). Looks like this was a typo that got propagated. Something to add to my list of updates for when this gets posted to Completed Timelines.

Love the timeline Nixonshead, always been a fan of your renders. If you are doing additional renders for this timeline, could we get one of Starlab? Thanks!

Love the timeline Nixonshead, always been a fan of your renders. If you are doing additional renders for this timeline, could we get one of Starlab? Thanks!

Thanks prolemasses! Funny you should ask about extra renders, because I've just run this one off to test a new space backgrounds add-on for Blender - Mayflower 1 departing the solar system:

24334977483_b4abae0453_o.png

Starlab's definitely on my list, but if you can't wait for your fix of USAF space station goodness, I strongly recommend checking out this very cool video.