King Arthur Tudor

This is my first timeline, I've only seen one thread on here about it and no timeline. Basically its Arthur Tudor, son of Henry VII, lives to become King.
I am in no way shape or form a good writer, so any/all criticsms are welcome and very much appreciated

King Arthur Tudor
14th October 1486
Elizabeth of York gave birth to a healthy baby boy at Winchester Castle. (This is my POD as in OTL this event took place a month earlier, leading to theorised health problems in later life)
He was the son of King Henry VII of the House of Tudor, and named Prince Arthur, after the King of myth that had become popular in England during this period.
The king and queen were elated as it came so soon after Henry’s triumph over Richard III.

Lambert Simnel contended Henry for the throne of England, and being crowned Edward VI in Dublin, was beaten soundly by Henry at the battle of Stoke Field.

The young prince was betrothed to Catherine of Aragon, youngest daughter of King Ferdinand of Spain, and Isabel of Castile. This was part of the treaty of Medina del Campo between England and the newly united Spain, which cemented an alliance between the two. This political manoeuvring by Henry protected his Kingdom from an attack from France.
The Prince, now 3 years old was made the Prince of Wales, the first English Prince to have been so, and the Earl of Chester.
Another celebration took place in England, as the Queen gave birth to a daughter, Margaret

The King and Queen were overjoyed when they had a second son by the name of Henry the Duke of York, stouter and bigger built then his brother, and he was to be known as keen sportsman.
Young Prince Arthur showed to have a deep affection for little brother and would spend many an hour playing with him

The Queen gave birth to a girl, Elizabeth, but she Died 3 years later

The Queen gave birth to another girl, Mary.

There are enormous celebrations as Prince Arthur marries Catherin of Aragon in St Paul’s Cathedral

The young Prince Arthur scares the royal family after falling ill during an epidemic at his castle at Ludlow, the adolescent pulled through and recovers fully, as does his wife who also fell ill. During his recovery he discovers his passion for Archery

Having given birth to 2 more children, a Boy and a Girl, neither of whom survived long, Elizabeth of York died.
That same year Princess Margaret married James IV of Scotland in the Kings bid to split the Auld alliance.

The nation was rejuvenated by the news that Princess Catherine was carrying Arthur’s child. He was born a couple of months later to massive celebrations; Prince Henry was presented to the Public at Ludlow palace. Though the princess’s spirits were dampened by the news her mother had died.

Prince Henry, duke of York, officially enters the Church, a Priest in Canterbury, where he would eventually become Archbishop.

This was the beginning of a new era in England, in January King Henry VII died, passing the crown to Arthur who is coroneted in Westminster Abbey as King Arthur, witness was his sister, with her Husband King James of Scotland, this was a sign of change that was to be felt throughout the British Isles.

Ill post more when I get time, and comments

Thande

Donor
Nice so far. This POD is often mentioned but I don't think anyone's actually made a timeline of it until now.

Glen

Arthur's survival allows for a wide range of latitude in developing change in England, depending on what is projected to happen.

The most likely result however is that the Church of England isn't formed, at least not in the same way as OTL.

Imagine Henry Tudor being raised to the Archbishopric of Canterbury...
He is then offered a Cardinal's hat and with a little help from his brother the King is being elected Pope in 1534 as Adrian VII perhaps...
So England has total control over British Isles in secular and spiritual terms...
This could lead to a new war with France though...

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'm guessing his enumeration would be King Arthur I, as the first Arthur was legendary and his dates are difficult to pin down anyway?

Sargon

I'm guessing his enumeration would be King Arthur I, as the first Arthur was legendary and his dates are difficult to pin down anyway?

Sargon

Actually, Henry VII had his family tree traced back to an old Romano Briton king in order to show his right to the throne. I think he claimed descendance from King Arthur as well so he may become Arthur II, if only for tradition.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Actually, Henry VII had his family tree traced back to an old Romano Briton king in order to show his right to the throne. I think he claimed descendance from King Arthur as well so he may become Arthur II, if only for tradition.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what would happen if in the future OTL we have an Arthur who becomes King...I don't recall seeing it mentioned in that 'Future British monarchs' enumeration list that appears to set out the rules for such things I found a while back.

Sargon

In response to all the questions on Henry (Duke of York) I have plans for him in the future

Thanks for all your comments and Ill update either tonight, or Tomorrow

Edit: I'll post it as King Arthur I and any more King Arthurs (and i think there will be) will be King Arthur II, and so on

Im trying to get the next chapter written, though Im having trouble finding a wife for Henry (prince of Wales) any suggestions?

Philip

Donor
Infanta Beatrice of Portugal -- solidify the Anglo-Portuguese alliance. OTL she married Charles of Savoy.

Isabella of Habsburg (sister of HRE Charles V). OTL married Christian II of Denmark. This creates ties to the Habsburgs.

Mary of Habsburg, her sister. OTL married Louis II of Hungary. This would cause trouble with the Habsburgs inheriting Hungary and Bohemia.

Catherine of Habsburg, their other sister.

They were all born post-POD, so it's up to you if they exist and how they correspond to their OTL equivalent.

Last edited:
Take a look at Kingsley Amis' The Alteration. It proposes that the English Civil War shows up early, as Arthur and Henry fought for the Throne.

Thande

Donor
Take a look at Kingsley Amis' The Alteration. It proposes that the English Civil War shows up early, as Arthur and Henry fought for the Throne.
That's not an earlier English Civil War, it's a continuation of the War of the Roses. No ideologies involved (well, unless one of them is Protestant and leads Protestants I suppose), it's just two claimants scrapping.

He would have been Arthur the First as the convention actually means "first since the conquest" (Of 1066)-that's why Edward the Confessor, King of England, isn't counted when you have kings called Edward.

However, there is always the possibility he wouldn't have wanted to be 'King Arthur'? The legends, well known and still popular, stated the return of Arthur would be in a time of direst danger for England-hardly a sign of confidence; "so we have King Arthur ruling us, it's a sign of great danger to come".

Sargon

King Arthur I began his reign by beginning further negotiations with his father-in-law, King Ferdinand II of Spain. He was attempting to negotiate an alliance between the two nations to defend himself against France.
By the end of November he had secured it and England officially declared war on France in December, the War of the League of Cambrai had come to England.

The war didn’t affect England much, with only limited armies going to Spain and Italy, the rest stayed in France to protect their holdings, and helped tie down French forces, this allowed Ferdinand to march over the Pyrenees, and take some small holdings in southern France, and take Bologna as the French forces were occupied elsewhere.

As the French abandoned Milan after the Battle of Novara, Gaston de Foix, the French kings nephew, pushed English forces back to their previous holdings in a lack of judgement by Arthur, and some brilliant strategy by de Foix. This was the first mistake by the new king, one not repeated. English forces counter attacked and the front became static and unmoving as both France and England threw everything into it, leading to France losing large amounts.

Due to the losses of Italian territory and large swathes of southern France, the French strove for peace, and got it. After some argument between the new Duke of Milan, Maximilian Sforza and the Republic of Venice over land, but this was settled by persuasion by King Ferdinand, and Arthur, to take the new lands in Southern France instead.
At home, Arthur began to move his capital to Winchester, the supposed position of Camelot. This was to promote his connection to the kings of old.

In this year Henry, duke of York became Archbishop of Canterbury. This signifies the beginning of some reforms over the English Religious scope.
Firstly he saw that the Monasteries had swathes of wealth, whereas his individual churches had little, this led to tension, which will be their undoing later.

This year saw the death of Arthur’s ally King Ferdinand of Spain, this mourned by his wife for obvious reasons. To cement the favour of the new King, Charles I, Arthur offered his sister, Mary, who had just lost her previous husband, the King of France the previous year. This marriage cemented the Alliance between the countries.

This year saw the beginning of turmoil in the religious circles of Europe. Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church of Wittenberg castle church. These shook the very foundations of the Catholic Church, and he was denounced as a heretic though his ideas began to take root.
This year also saw the betrothal of Henry, Prince of Wales to Princess Beatrice of Portugal. This marriage signified a renewal of the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, and created an Anglo-Iberian power bloc, that was a major worry for the new French King, Francis I, preventing him from doing anything to counter the losses of the past few years.

King Arthur this year had called the heads of government to London to talk peace. Under request from his brother, and his brothers close ally, Thomas Wolsey, his goal was to end wars between the Christian nations, and in doing so, could let them face the problems created by the heathens to the east, the Ottomans, who encroaching on Christian nations in the Balkans.
The treaty of Winchester, the place of its signing at the Kings abode, where all the nations signed a non-aggression pact against each other, was seen as a triumph for Prince Henry, but even more so for his brother the king.
This year also saw the Queen give birth to a daughter, named Isabella, unfortunately she died a few months later.

When Charles I of Spain became Holy Roman Emperor in this year it saw England, Spain and Portugal become the top brass in Europe, and the decline of France, who began to sink into infighting as the King was blamed for the recent poor performance on the world stage, and him allowing France to be surrounded by hostile nations.
This year also saw Herman Cortez land in Mexico, and by the end of the year, arrive in Tenochtitlan by the end of the year.

The Danish broke the much-acclaimed Treaty of Winchester as King Christian II declared war on Sweden. This was widely condemned, and the English, Holy Roman Empire, Spain and Portugal offered support, but the Swedish declined, citing it was strictly a Scandinavian affair. By the end of the year the war was over culminating in the Stockholm bloodbath.

This was the year that the real turmoil began in Europe, beginning with Pope Leo X excommunicating Martin Luther. The Emperor Charles V called the Diet of Worms to examine the upstart. Also present were the Empires Allies England and Portugal, who wanted to see what the fuss was about.
After failing to reject his controversial writings he was declared an outlaw. But the new king of Portugal Joao III saw that Elector Frederick III of Saxony was sympathetic towards Luther and sent spies after him, finding out that he was hiding the outlaw he proposed to the Emperor to force Frederick to hand over the heretic.
The Emperor agreed, as France seemed quiet at the time, too concerned with their own infighting.
When the Elector refused to hand over the outlaw, Charles had no choice but to send an army to force him, being lent some men by Arthur and Joao. The battle was a fierce one, Frederick being holed up in his castle Wartburg, eventually though Charles won, and Luther was found, tried for heresy and burnt at the stake.

This year saw several knights rebel against Charles in the Lutheran Legacy Revolt. Incensed by Luther’s death, several knights, Humanists and Protestants revolted. Charles Put down the rebellion, but it seriously damaged his country.
But it also showed the destructive force of artillery, which had brought misery to the revolters.

This year saw the death of King Arthur I, seen as a good reign, especially for his work in the treaty of Winchester.
He was succeed by his son Henry VIII, who was crowned by his uncle in Winchester cathedral in March

Please comment, though be nice, it is my first timeline after all

Last edited:
At home, Arthur began to move his capital to Winchester, the supposed position of Camelot. This was to promote his connection to the kings of old.

I don't know if he'd change the capital to be honest, it was in perfect place to pick up trade etc.
Without the reformation though you stand a better chance of it happening.
Maybe you could have them as two capitals;
London - Business Capital and Government Capital for example.
Winchester - Traditional Capital (where the king lives etc) and Religious Capital where the monarch gets crowned etc.

Wouldn't Arther have gainned some small amount of land for being on the winning side of war, a few towns around calais or something.

Other than that i think it's good, keep it up :)