Karl-Heinz Kurras' Stasi Background is Discovered in the Sixties

Karl-Heinz Kurras was a West Berlin police officer who shot and killed the unarmed student protester Benno Ohnesorg in 1967. Ohnesorg had been taking part in protests against the visit of the Shah of Iran in Berlin, and it was the first time he took part in political protests. Kurras was put on trial for negligent homicide, but acquitted after an extremely controversial trial. Photographic evidence and numerous witnesses testify that Ohnesorg did not attack Kurras, as Kurras had claimed.
These events are often believed to be among the pivotal developments that led to a radicalization of the leftist student protest movement in Germany and the rise of a German left-wing terrorist movement.

In OTL it was only in 2009 that Federal German authorities and the German public learned that Karl-Heinz Kurras worked as a spy for the East German Stasi. There is no evidence, however, that he acted as an agent provocateur for the Stasi, although, if he did, he might be considered one of the most successful agent provocateurs of all time.

What if his Stasi connections are discovered and he is fired from the West Berlin police before he can shoot Ohnesorg?
What if they are discovered during his trial?

The subject has already been mentioned in a thread in the Chat forum, but without answering the above questions
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=125470&highlight=Kurras

Last edited:
This is a really interesting small POD with possibly huge consequences. I don't claim any expertise in this era of German history, but I'll give your questions a shot:

If Kurras is fired before he ever kills Ohnesorg, that's probably the end of it. Perhaps the West German security services congradulate themselves for their vigilance.

If it comes out during the trial, it's probably all kinds of bad for the West German government. There might be investigations into how great the extent of Stasi infiltration really was. On that topic, wasn't there a scandal about exactly that issue a few years later that brought down the Chancellor (Brandt, IIRC)? Maybe something similar would happen earlier.

Either way, student radicalization would probably be less significant. Students might even become more conservative. I'm really at the edge of my knowledge here, but I'd love to hear from the German members how this would impact the development of the Green Party?