Kaiser Wilhelm I assassinated in 1878

In 1878, Kaiser Wilhelm I was the victim of two assassination attempts, but survived both, coming off the second one wounded. Let's suppose that he is killed on one of the two occasions. The more liberal-minded Frederick III would be elevated to the throne in the midst of great tragedy. How does this impact Germany and the world?

As long as he keeps Bismarck's political and diplomatic prowess with him he should do quite well. In OTL the two weren't exactly best friends.

Well, Friedrich III had more liberal leanings than his father or his son, but contrary to AH-legend, that doesn't make him a true-blood liberal which turns das Deutsche Reich into a continental Great Britain.

Also, he wouldn't be powerful enough to undertake any radical steps which would run completely contrary against the German mood of the time.

For example, I cannot see this experienced commander of German forces break the militarism in German society.

Also, he would probably not change the constitution. First of all, the 1871-constitution was rather progressive (especially the franchise) and still brand-new in '78. He might do something about the franchise in the state of Prussia which was centered around a census-system, but I am not sure if that was an issue in the 1870s already as it was in the early 20th century.

Friedrich III might replace Bismarck by chancellors which can rely on a majority in the Reichstag, but in the case of a successful assassination of Wilhelm I by a political radical, we might see even harsher "Sozialistengesetze" and ironically a worse internal climate in the years to come. Also, without Bismarck, Germany might not see the series of social insurances he introduced.

What we could expect for the time being would be excellent German-English relations. However, at this point of time there is not a chance of a developing alliance due to Britain not being interested and Friedrich's successor would still have plenty of time to ruin the relationship.

On the other hand, a liberal emperor who antagonizes Russia might lead to an earlier end of French isolation...and here things become interesting.

First thing I have in mind that Kaiser Friedrich might die earlier, beeing Kasier is no piece of Cake.

Susano

Banned
Well, Friedrich III had more liberal leanings than his father or his son, but contrary to AH-legend, that doesn't make him a true-blood liberal which turns das Deutsche Reich into a continental Great Britain.
On his own? No. I think the main attribute of Frederick III in that regard is that he was somewhat weak willed. He will not push any liberal reform himself. However, different to his father and son he will not stand in the way of it, either. I think he would make a rather apolitical monarch, so that liberals and social democrats will battle it out with the Junkers and conservatives, basically.

However he would, I think, dismiss Bismarck at earliest convinience. Which is not all too bad - when he went IOTL and Caprivi became his successor, Caprivi's free trade policies, replacing Bismarck's protectionism, very much helped the German economy, for example. Bismarck was an excellent diplomat, but really, in domestic affairs he wasnt too great. Bismarck's proto- Social Insurance not existing will be a problem, though, yeah.