John Lackland loses all English possessions in France

VVD0D95

Banned
Now John Lackland has gone down in history as the man who not only made England a papal fief and signed the Magna Carta. He also lost most of the Plantagenet possessions in France with the exception of Gascony which England held until 1453.

but what if John loses Gascony also? Let’s say a Castilian type battle happens and England gets driven from France two centuries sooner, what next?

My initial thoughts are thay John won’t take this lying down. He’ll try and reclaim the lands and likely make himself bankrupt doing so. Which likely leads to revolts Fromm his barons and the while
Magna Carta stick.

my other thought is that he takes this lying down, begrudgingly abd with a lot of mumbling. But he takes it abd focused on extending England’s hold over the isles abd Ireland.

which one seems more likely to you all?

@Kellan Sullivan @isabella @Captain shadow @anyobe else

Have Eleanor of Brittany marry Louis VIII, IOTL Constance of Brittany was excommunicated for not cooperating with Philippe Auguste and Innocent II, so marriage and alliance between her and Louis VIII would make John I lose territories if Arthur still dies.

Hmm interesting, thus giving France Brittany much earlier?
Not unless one of Constance IOTL daughters in her second marriage is born male, since marrying Eleanor to Louis VIII means an alliance between Constance and Philippe instead of John and Philippe, Constance having a treaty with Philippe would change things making him more hostile to John as he and his son does not recognize John as the King until John secures his rule in England.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Not unless one of Constance IOTL daughters in her second marriage is born male, since marrying Eleanor to Louis VIII means an alliance between Constance and Philippe instead of John and Philippe, Constance having a treaty with Philippe would change things making him more hostile to John as he and his son does not recognize John as the King until John secures his rule in England.
Indeed this is true,

Now John Lackland has gone down in history as the man who not only made England a papal fief and signed the Magna Carta. He also lost most of the Plantagenet possessions in France with the exception of Gascony which England held until 1453.

but what if John loses Gascony also? Let’s say a Castilian type battle happens and England gets driven from France two centuries sooner, what next?

My initial thoughts are thay John won’t take this lying down. He’ll try and reclaim the lands and likely make himself bankrupt doing so. Which likely leads to revolts Fromm his barons and the while
Magna Carta stick.

my other thought is that he takes this lying down, begrudgingly abd with a lot of mumbling. But he takes it abd focused on extending England’s hold over the isles abd Ireland.

which one seems more likely to you all?

@Kellan Sullivan @isabella @Captain shadow @anyobe else
I think a lot would depend is if this break's him as a king because a lot depends on a kings military reputation medieval ages Henry ii, Richard the Lionheart, Edward I, Edward III and Henry V where great kings due to there skills as general.

In contrast we have disasters such as king Jon, Richard ii, Edward II and Henry Vi

I have a few suggestions that may help I'll give you ideas.

1. Louis Viii of France is successfully made king of England and except the Magna carta which gives him the barons support.

In this time line could have the kingdom as a duel Kingdom of France and England or alternatively otl Louis iX gets France and England goes to otl Charles of Anjue Louis VIII second son. You could even change the name to William or Henry to give more association to there Norman ancestry.

2. Jon loses all of the Plantagenet holding on the continent but he has a son with his first wife Isabel of Gloucester who is called Henry or Robert who forces his father to abdicate. This Henry III or Robert I of England knows that England dies not have the money or the army to fight the kingdom of France. My be he could do the reforms of Edward I of England did in creating the army that Edward III, Edward the black Prince and Henry V used successfully in France and Spain.

My be they conquer Wales and see how effective the longbows are or my be he was in Wales at some point.

3. John the redeemed the big proplem with Jon is hie he is as a person he does have courage but he is not a leader of men my be in this time line he managed to show respect and learn how to rule in the island of Ireland.

4. Jon losers all of his ancestral lands and let's say Castile take Southern Aquitaine he knows that he will never be able to take back the lands so he looks for why to strengthen his Dynasty and reputation in the British isles.

My be he conquered Wales in order to get back some prestige and show that he is a conqueror like William the conqueror.

My be he makes reform so that his descendants don't suffer the same humiliation.

I think a lot would depend on what exactly happens my be Arthur of Brittany escapes John and he takes the Northern or all of the continental Holdings.

My be castile takes parts of the Aquitaine and Philip Augustus takes the rest and from this Jon knows he dies not have the money, the men or the dynastic loyalty to fight two well establish Dynasty.

Are you looking for a king Jon that learns to be a King?

VVD0D95

Banned
Not sure one or two will happen. One becsuse the moment John dies, his son is a more tempting offer. Two becsuse that would violate the popes command, making John a lot worse off. Four seems likeliest. As for Arthur of Brittany, I see no reason why he wouldn’t suffer otl fate.

Not sure one or two will happen. One becsuse the moment John dies, his son is a more tempting offer. Two becsuse that would violate the popes command, making John a lot worse off. Four seems likeliest. As for Arthur of Brittany, I see no reason why he wouldn’t suffer otl fate.
With number 4 you could do a hero's journey kind of story from Jon being a fuck up if a king into a rehabilitated warrior King.

Wales is an opinion for conquest you could even have him killed during a rebellion.

Jon reputation could be healed by having successes in Wales and Ireland.

In France you could have a new conflict between the Castilian Throne and the Capations and there was a crusades against Toulouse in the mid 1120s so the Capations or the kingdom of castile could make a move there.

I think number 4 would be very interesting over all it would depend on how Jon heals his reputation.

As for the Capations ruling England and France you could split the kingdom with one branch focusing on the British isles and the other France.

You could have the main line in France die out and the realative in England pissed of that they where past over. But that my be too close to otl hundred years war.

King John being deposes by his son would be a very clean story but too predictable.

VVD0D95

Banned
With number 4 you could do a hero's journey kind of story from Jon being a fuck up if a king into a rehabilitated warrior King.

Wales is an opinion for conquest you could even have him killed during a rebellion.

Jon reputation could be healed by having successes in Wales and Ireland.

In France you could have a new conflict between the Castilian Throne and the Capations and there was a crusades against Toulouse in the mid 1120s so the Capations or the kingdom of castile could make a move there.

I think number 4 would be very interesting over all it would depend on how Jon heals his reputation.

As for the Capations ruling England and France you could split the kingdom with one branch focusing on the British isles and the other France.

You could have the main line in France die out and the realative in England pissed of that they where past over. But that my be too close to otl hundred years war.

King John being deposes by his son would be a very clean story but too predictable.
John having a son with Isabella of Gloucester would need the Pope not to rule that they were too closely related to one another.

VVD0D95

Banned
What scenario will you be going for you could go for kings journey kind of story where are you leaning to
Unsure at the moment, likely go for John trying to fix shit out after losing his continental possessions. I imagine if he loses them all around 1213/14, he'd likely face a large revolt in 1215

It's has it's both good and bad aspects for both England and France.

The bad news for england is obviously losing their land for a foreign king and it'll make John's rule even more shaky and unbalanced, the prestige of losing such lands too will further damage the country.

In the good news side, England will definitely focus on stuff like internal development better and further centralization, as well as giving more attention to their navy and commerce (especially with them having no reason to spend much on the army who now will be focused in Scotland and Ireland) which could help england develop in a way not too dissimilar to the Netherlands on the aspect of that trade will become a major government policy.

For the French, the prestige they'll get will be immense and will give them something to help further centralize the government and have nobles and church willingly on their side, not to mention all that extra funds that went into the army can now be directed towards city development and reconstruction of destroyed infrastructure, and with the English weakend and looking inwards, Burgundy and it's lands (as well as the Low Countries) will become French. The bad news of course is that Burgundy (as well as other states) is much more likely to build alliances with anyone that can help them out against the French, having to deal with nobles who will definitely resist any sort of political compromise (wether it be with king or the merchants) as well as rivals in the form of the Holy Roman Empire, Any kingdom in Iberia really as well as the English who would try and get their revenge one way or another, and that's not even counting the headbutting with the Pope that'll happen.

The bad news for england is obviously losing their land for a foreign king and it'll make John's rule even more shaky and unbalanced, the prestige of losing such lands too will further damage the country.

In the good news side, England will definitely focus on stuff like internal development better and further centralization, as well as giving more attention to their navy and commerce (especially with them having no reason to spend much on the army who now will be focused in Scotland and Ireland) which could help england develop in a way not too dissimilar to the Netherlands on the aspect of that trade will become a major government policy.

For the French, the prestige they'll get will be immense and will give them something to help further centralize the government and have nobles and church willingly on their side, not to mention all that extra funds that went into the army can now be directed towards city development and reconstruction of destroyed infrastructure, and with the English weakend and looking inwards, Burgundy and it's lands (as well as the Low Countries) will become French. The bad news of course is that Burgundy (as well as other states) is much more likely to build alliances with anyone that can help them out against the French, having to deal with nobles who will definitely resist any sort of political compromise (wether it be with king or the merchants) as well as rivals in the form of the Holy Roman Empire, Any kingdom in Iberia really as well as the English who would try and get their revenge one way or another, and that's not even counting the headbutting with the Pope that'll happen.
The Capations will be moving south or Easter in the territorial expansions the holy Roman empire will most likely loses some of its territories until a power and charismatic emperor rises.

The Capations in the 13th century under Philip III trade to conquer the kingdom of Aragon.

VVD0D95

Banned

Agreed I imagine losing Gascony on top of everything else will just make the barons even more likely to rebel?

VVD0D95

Banned
The Capations will be moving south or Easter in the territorial expansions the holy Roman empire will most likely loses some of its territories until a power and charismatic emperor rises.

The Capations in the 13th century under Philip III trade to conquer the kingdom of Aragon.
That’s assuming the arsgonese issue still arises