Jimmy Carter uses his formidable reading skills to become a really good delegator ? ?

Is being a complicator really that bad?

Yes!

If Carter becomes a really good but flawed delegator, he might go down as an outlier in a really positive way!

Last edited:
Jimmy Carter — "Carter family habit" "my mother always read at the meal table"

Jimmy, his wife Rosalynn, and 9-yr-old daughter Amy would read at the dinner table. I know a lot of families watch TV during dinner, but still … reading at the table is pretty far out there.

Amy%20Carter.jpg

This is more normal. You’re working on your thing, and your child is working in their thing.

* I’m not a Dad, but I am an Uncle.

Gerald R. Ford —

Jan. 15, 1975

President Ford — “I plan to take Presidential initiative to decontrol the price of domestic crude oil on April 1. I urge the Congress to enact a windfall profits tax by that date to ensure that oil producers do not profit unduly.”

President Ford did not get the Windfall Profits Tax.

So, take a deep breath, President Carter. You’re probably not going to get it either.

Last edited:
Best case scenario is narrowly wins reelection and the bomb of reaganism is defused since if it couldn't even beat Carter well...

Most likely scenario is less of a brutal loss than OTL, US still moves right but not to otl's extent.

Last edited:

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Who is he delegating *to*? What actions are they taking that against public problems that are *effecemtive*? And just as importantly, taking actions, *perceived to be effective*?

Best case scenario is narrowly wins reelection
Please understand, I’m talking the almost Anti-Carter. He takes his weakness of being a poor delegator, and he consciously works to make it a strength.

I think he wins comfortably, with a bigger margin than the close 1976 election. In particular, people see that he is doing the sensible and the possible regarding energy and the economy.

Being good at delegation doesn't change the late 70s being a trashfire. Your scenario just makes Carter's winning reelection go from 1% probability to like a third.

Who is he delegating *to*? What actions are they taking that against public problems that are *effecemtive*?
I think you’ve captured southern speaking trying to be formal very well! :)

And just the usual crowd. I don’t think he needs a new person in his cabinet.

For example, there were issues with Joe Califano, both the substance of Califano trying to do anti-smoking programs and him not giving the administration heads-up on big announcements. So, Carter gets on the phone with him, “Yes, push forward, I’ll take the heat. It’s one of my jobs to take the heat. Just try to give us a heads-up on the big stuff.”

1711288600464.jpeg

from the 1980s. But even from the early 70s, there were plenty of good enough books on delegation

and you don’t need to be perfect

That’s the Zen of it! :openedeyewink:

Being good at delegation doesn't change the late 70s being a trashfire. Your scenario just makes Carter's winning reelection go from 1% probability to like a third.
Yes, No, Maybe.

In 1979, revolutionary Iran affected overall world oil just a modest amount [and large oil companies took advantage of the situation claiming “caution” or “reserves”]

oil prices doubled.

That’s going to kick through the U.S. economy no matter what any President or Congress does. But President Carter could have done things like “odd-even rationing” which people understand and which some states used during the 1973 oil crunch. If the last digit of your license number is odd, you can only fill-up during odd days, and same for even numbers.

———————————

575AFDE9-EDE2-4EC9-8641-472BAE80DE35.jpeg

The decline of the American middle class is a long-term phenomenon. But what I take from this graph is that things may not as bad as people often think, and therefore, may be a thoroughly winnable situation. Of course this is thin consolation for willing workers left without good jobs.

And the 4% decline overall may hide some cascading. For example, some people may have slipped from middle-middle to lower-middle. And other people may have slipped from lower-middle into lower, etc.

Last edited:
The existence of the middle class was a temproary phenomenon. Flip 1976 to get a long D era either 1980-1996 or 1980-2000/2004 and it just starts it's OTL post-1980 type declien 20-25 years later and be slower but it'd still happen. Technology meaning you don't need as many industrial jobs, increasing productivity from computers and LLMs like chatgpt is now eating into office jobs. This isn't even factoring in middle class social norms intensifying the industrial demographic transition to make it worse because uh, people remember their childhoods lol. A surprisingly large number of people are either going to havve only one kid or not have any bc no point in subjecting the next generation to the treadmill.

But what about the numbers in the above graph?
Mostly irrelevant, being realistic here. The only thing you get from employment-based middle classes or tying benefits to employers is economic inefficiency and a culture of slavish dependency. Would rather have unconditional basic income and national healthcare than the network of credentialism/regulations that created the modern white collar middle class.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
It seems to me that a lot of people's lives are lived out within the incremental numbers and time periods, years, half-decades, decades that @Dancing Fool is parsing things into rather than the grand secular "long-term", multi-decade, generation+ long, "inevitable" trendlines that @Aisha Clan-Clan is saying is the only stuff that matters.

I'd put it this way. From a what-iffer, or modern historian's perspective from the 2020s or 2030s, the types of questions you are asking @Dancing Fool likely matter very much. Perhaps, from a perspective of 2125, 2150, the year 2200, 2500 and behind, it will all seem like irrelevant noise in a bigger picture where @Aisha Clan-Clan's broad trend analysis seems as adequate an interpretation as one would need about 20th and 21st century economics.

In the meantime though, since I'm not "future man", and I don't know anybody who is, I don't think the lived experience of millions who have lived at the same time as my lifetime and will be experiencing workplace trends implicated by your what ifs still in the next decade and possibly beyond are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Weakening the posr-1970s conservative movement just shifts the trendline for neoliberalism if we're talking Carter in '76 still. Even OP's scenario os a good carter. Let's be really generous and have Ds in power 1977-89, with the GOP getting to eat the blame/credit for the recession around then. Will it slow the trends or help? Sure.

If you want to derail neoliberalism one way is to have Pinochet's coup fail or him decide not to listen to the Chicago School. If you wanty to possibly derail it later, just flip 1976 and get Carey/Askew/whoever in 1980 following Ford's full second term. The US moving hard to the "left" would change trendleins.

The only thing you get from employment-based middle classes or tying benefits to employers is economic inefficiency and a culture of slavish dependency
Okay, this idea that the middle class is shopkeepers, barbers, doctors, etc. is way old school. I think it’s also part of Marxist theory which is fine with me. I’m happy to borrow and re-purpose good ideas from wherever I find them. But this one I think is mistaken.

3 out of 4 new businesses go out of business.

And that’s why I think it’s irresponsible for both Democrats and Republicans to promote “entrepreneurship” as if it’s some kind of unfettered good. It’s a myth in the sense that it’s something generally good which is way over-believed. For starters, think of how much work and unexpected expense is involved in planning a wedding, just saying!

Try to test the market as cheaply and as quickly as you can. Figure out a way to run the business out of your home or car.

It seems to me that a lot of people's lives are lived out within the incremental numbers and time periods, years, half-decades, decades that @Dancing Fool is parsing things into rather than the grand secular "long-term", multi-decade, generation+ long, "inevitable" trendlines that @Aisha Clan-Clan is saying is the only stuff that matters
Thank you, and I like the way you divide things. :)

I don’t believe either in some future version of Victorian England or that the magic of UBI is inevitable. In fact, as social creatures almost instantly attuned to the barest whiff of “cheating,” money fir nothing is going to be a tough sell.

So, we may want to put some thought into 2nd best.

(1) I’m come to see increases to the salary threshold as much better than increases to minimum wage. The “salary threshold” was increased to about $23,000 in 2004 and further increased to $35,000 in 2019.

I think we can go much bigger.

It tells Walmart that a “zone” or dept. manager needs to get at least threshold or else he or she still gets time and a 1/2 for overtime. Almost magic. Really pushes a company to spread out available jobs.

(2) _______________________________

(3) ______________________________
______________________________ .

And I’d LOVE to have two other things just as magical. 👩‍🎤