Japan heads north 1937, impact on Europe

Interesting interpretation! It goes counter to what I've heard argued for years. Which article or book in particular does Giangreco lay out this argument, I'd like to look it up. What timeframe was he applying this to - June 1941, or the situation after Barbarossa had been ongoing a few months? How long did this weakness persist? Into the the summer or 1942 or beyond? In a big picture sense, it seems to make sense. American forces suffered from being far and out of supply and supported by an underbuilt military power at the beginning of the war. British Empire forces' quality and equipment suffered from their AOR being the "quiet front" in a hot war and being lowest priority. Seems like in the scheme of Soviet risk management, the Far East would have logically been in a similar position, at least after Barbarossa started.

It comes from "Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-1947" 2017 expanded edition Chapter 11, "To Break Japan's Spine."

The Chapter can be viewed here (click on the first small window: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Hell_to_Pay/_Tw1DwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=October 17, 1944) or in abbreviated form here: https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/169567

Giangreco's argument applies as a general observation of the geography of the Russo-Japanese theater and as such is not bound by time (though of course he makes the obvious note that Russia was especially vulnerable after Hitler's invasion in June 1941). The Soviet Union was never really able to rectify this basic weakness and to an extent this is still a problem today vs. communist China. The Japanese were certainly aware of it as their planning documents from the time showed: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a951816.pdf

(In fact, the American military leadership was concerned about the possibility of the Red Army launching its offensive against Japan too early - this was toward the end of the war during negotiations for a "second front" in northern China - fearing that the Kwantung Army might launch a counteroffensive, cut the Trans-Siberian Railway, and isolate the Russians in eastern Siberia, in which case American aid would be required to bail them out. [John Ray Skates, "The Invasion of Japan" pp. 222-223]).

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
It comes from "Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-1947" 2017 expanded edition Chapter 11, "To Break Japan's Spine."

The Chapter can be viewed here (click on the first small window: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Hell_to_Pay/_Tw1DwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=October 17, 1944) or in abbreviated form here: https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/169567

Giangreco's argument applies as a general observation of the geography of the Russo-Japanese theater and as such is not bound by time (though of course he makes the obvious note that Russia was especially vulnerable after Hitler's invasion in June 1941). The Soviet Union was never really able to rectify this basic weakness and to an extent this is still a problem today vs. communist China. The Japanese were certainly aware of it as their planning documents from the time showed: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a951816.pdf

(In fact, the American military leadership was concerned about the possibility of the Red Army launching its offensive against Japan too early - this was toward the end of the war during negotiations for a "second front" in northern China - fearing that the Kwantung Army might launch a counteroffensive, cut the Trans-Siberian Railway, and isolate the Russians in eastern Siberia, in which case American aid would be required to bail them out. [John Ray Skates, "The Invasion of Japan" pp. 222-223]).

Thanks for the source info!

McPherson

Banned
A very interesting thread.

I have one major observation.

The bulk of this thread is far more bullish on Japanese short and medium term chances than I have tended to see in my last twenty years of participating in what-if discussion boards. Usually Japan's short and medium term chances, for over the entire period of 1936-1945, are dismissed with the retorts: "Japanese beaten at Khalkin-Gol", "Nomonhan", "superior Soviet armor and artillery", "superior Soviet industry", sometimes even "superior Soviet airpower" or "Japan spent all its money on its navy and left its Army a WWI era force".

1. Actually, I subscribe to the light infantry, peasant farmer boy, Yamato spirit, hypothesis to explain the IJA's WWII performance. I discussed elsewhere and here; that the IJA had its modernist faction, but that lack of economic means meant that their professional officer corps had to solve the land warfare problem with the resource it had in relative abundance, which was the excellent hardy and intelligent human infantry recruits it obtained from its drafted cohorts.

The discussions here also leave me with a question.

Posters on this thread have address a Soviet-Japanese regional clash at multiples times:, the OP's 1938, but also 1939, and 1941-1942. The Soviets are argued to be most vulnerable in 1937 and 1941-1942, and least vulnerable in 1939. Since we are looking at a range of times, what would Soviet vulnerability in the 1932 timeframe be to a Japanese attack? What about in 33 or 34 or 35? Are the Soviets more or less vulnerable than in the periods we have been discussing?

2. Based on the time periods, I would estimate soviet maximum danger to IJA attack as being 1925-1933, the very years when the pre WWII Imperial Japanese Government (IPG) was most "liberal" and reluctant to engage in wars of aggression. After 1935, the Russians can make a stiff fight and very likely win a prolonged war, because by then their heavy industry is capable of turning out tanks, artillery and mortars enough to mechanically overmatch superior Japanese infantry proficiency. The Russians will have air parity to about 1937, when the Japanese will introduce new generations of aircraft that leapfrog soviet competencies materially and operationally in the air. Nevertheless, the soviet ground power, provided that Stalin is shot, his cronies likewise, the Russians learn logistics for mechanized forces cross country and the STAVKA runs the war, should result in Russian victory through sheer mass of numbers of machines and high explosives. I think the IJA is steam-rollered, unless the European situation keeps 2 of every 3 Russian bullet-stoppers west of the Urals as it RTL did. This conclusion seems to hold up in spite of the botched soviet operations at Khalkin Gol. And I like to remind people, that anybody, who fights long enough, will become tactically very proficient... in spite of Stalin.
Several posts also take a line I would dispute.

I think some posters are overestimating the degree that anti-communism will shape American, British, and French reactions to a Soviet-Japanese war, particularly in the Far East.

3. The Henry Ford effect? Seems to be a persistent theme in at least American history, that the upper level capitalists, think they can do business with anybody, even monsters like Stalin and Hitler. Such naïve men (My opinion; YMMV.) have done enormous historical harm by not paying attention to the moral components of "doing business".

America, under both Wilson and Harding, distrusted Japanese intervention in the Russian Far East to the point that they both pushed for Japanese withdrawal at risk of Boleshevik takeover. This was even though Japan had been a loyal wartime ally in WWI, and Russia was a turncoat ally and radical revolutionary threat.

4. The Yellow Peril was a real American bugaboo, an utterly despicable western US adjunct to an already deeply schismed and racist polity, which still had embers of race-hate left over from the American civil-war.

The strategic rationale for recognizing the Soviet Union in 1933 was to help contain the Japanese. [this ran parallel to the economic rationale of increasing trading opportunities during the Depression].

5. Do not dispute this conclusion. Might temper it with the realism of Cordell Hull and some members of the professional American military, but the "Ford Effect" saw Japan as an economic competitor, not a partner. The Russians were "customers". Roosevelt was part of that fluster-clucked misapprehension unfortunately.

This all being the case, why then would FDR's America in the 1930s or 1940s favor the Japanese over the Soviets, when the US past its earlier Red Scare, and the Soviet Union was a more established fixture of the world scene? Further, since the early 1920s when the US judged the Yellow Peril was at least as bad as the Red Menace, Japan had not done itself any favors compared with the Soviet Union. The Soviets entered the League of Nations, while he Japanese had quit the League of Nations, attacked Manchuria and Shanghai, started breaking arms limitation treaties, and began a habit of domestic governance by assassination.

6. Because for the Americans, at least, the soviets bent over backwards to look "small", compared to other predatory nation states in an era when the ambitions were based on cutthroat state centered economic competition inside an imperialist system. The Russians went out of their way to gin up "good press" (LIE.), about their own imperialist goals and ambitions. They were for "the common man", when Stalin was just as evil and imperialist as Nicholas II. The Japanese had to crash through a language and culture barrier to get their own message across and unfortunately FOR THEM, the Americans knew exactly what the Japanese meant and intended.

Britain *might* have a somewhat different perspective, less unfavorable to Japan, more unfavorable to the USSR, but still may think of Russia as a potentially valuable diplomatic counterwieght to Germany in Europe. France at this time, the mid-1930s, had a security pact with Russia. Although the pact was weak and turned out to be ineffectual, Paris considered it useful enough to sign, and Paris logically had far more to be concerned about if it alienated Moscow compared to the risks of alienating Tokyo.

7. Ahm… That flipflops during WWII. Germany may have been a mortal threat to the UK metropole and had to be thrashed, but JAPAN cost the UK her empire. The British conservatives in their polity "might" still hold some resentment over this outcome.

8. The Americans, on the other hand, after having been measured out by the Japanese and vice versa, have come to "respect" each other. Notice I do not use the term, "like"?

9. France was so splintered politically from 1935 onward, that even French historians are not sure what their society and government was ultimately about. Past warns future, there, folks.

Last edited:
All we have established is that their knowledge base in oil well drilling was less than the Germans. As for restarting the oil fields, they had the local talent and hostages.

This has never been established anywhere, in fact quite the opposite was done. The only thing you provided was that Japan's synthetic production was lacking, which is a function of technology related to oil shale, not conventional oil drilling.

If the JAPANESE as middlemen were not diverting a scarce strategic material to their own industrial use, (The Americans used tungsten/wolfram for machine tools and they had a shortage, which explains why the Americans were reluctant to use tungsten in armor piercing shot.) then the Japanese did not a.) understand the need to use the material (not likely) or b.) chose not to use the material for that purpose because they could not work it in quantity. They most certainly did need it.

Source.

You already provided the source:

It specifically notes that, for example, Japan attempted to seize Tungsten resources in French Indochina in 1941 and before you attempt the "sell to Germany" angle, trade with Germany had largely ceased given the British blockade by this point. I also find it quite frankly bizarre to assume Japan was giving away all of its Tungsten or that it did not know what the Tungsten was for, given Japan had imported machinery from the Nazis during the 1930s, for one example.

NTP. Russian aid from 1950-1972 to China. Lull, then 1977 onward US technical assistance and we are running around in circles with this one. The critical period and the years are 1935-1945 and the argument you want to make is that the Japanese could drill with tricone or bicone bits during those years through WW II. The point is that they did not to the extent you assert they could and you have not explained WHY NOT. I have shown why not. They did not have the means and the few experts they had were drowned. You also shot down your own argument when you pegged Chinese access to deep well drilling means no earlier than 1959.

I think I will leave it at that point. Unless you show me a DEEP Japanese oil well in Japan proper say around 1937? Cause I looked for one to shoot down my own argument.

I've already provided a citation that showed U.S. technical assistance did not start until the 1980s and this was the first time the bits had been introduced by the Chinese:

I've also already provided data earlier in the thread about the Japanese undertaking deep well efforts in China:
I don't think that'll be an issue for the Japanese
In 1930s, Japanese occupation created Manchuria Oil Company to run oil exploration and exploitation
❑ Drilled 87 wells with total depth 35,200 meters

It should be noted the PRC was only drilling as deep as 4,000 meters until 1978, when it increased to 7,500 meters. In other words, existing Japanese tech was sufficient to reach the Daqing deposits in the 1930s. This makes sense, given Japan already had access to bicone trill bits in the 1920s:

On the specific matter of the Russians, they had pulled out economic assistance before the Chinese discovered Daqing anyway. Furthermore, to make the argument that because Japan didn't exploit Daqing that it couldn't is fallacious, given it wasn't even discovered until 1959.

McPherson

Banned
This has never been established anywhere, in fact quite the opposite was done. The only thing you provided was that Japan's synthetic production was lacking, which is a function of technology related to oil shale, not conventional oil drilling.

Howso? The Germans had 4X the workers at Ploesti to the shipload of Japanese experts drowned off Tokyo.

You already provided the source:

McPherson said:

The Japanese passed through the tungsten metal they needed. The Germans got the metal, and used it in shells and machine tools. (WWI and WWII). Your statement about the Japanese "could" is fallacious.
It specifically notes that, for example, Japan attempted to seize Tungsten resources in French Indochina in 1941 and before you attempt the "sell to Germany" angle, trade with Germany had largely ceased given the British blockade by this point. I also find it quite frankly bizarre to assume Japan was giving away all of its Tungsten or that it did not know what the Tungsten was for, given Japan had imported machinery from the Nazis during the 1930s, for one example.

1. To deny it to the Allies.
2. Compare to Operation Catherine.
3. The reason a thing is done may not be obvious.
4. The Germans sold industrial metal casting tech to the Japanese, also stamp presses. So what is your point?
5. The Japanese needed HARD CURRENCY or a trade medium in kind to do business with the Hitlerite gangster regime.
6. If you have reasons 1-5, you do what the Japanese did.

I've already provided a citation that showed U.S. technical assistance did not start until the 1980s and this was the first time the bits had been introduced by the Chinese:

7. Read your own citation again. I will not go around in circles on this as it has been debunked.

I've also already provided data earlier in the thread about the Japanese undertaking deep well efforts in China:

8. Debunked.

It should be noted the PRC was only drilling as deep as 4,000 meters until 1978, when it increased to 7,500 meters. In other words, existing Japanese tech was sufficient to reach the Daqing deposits in the 1930s. This makes sense, given Japan already had access to bicone trill bits in the 1920s:

9. 1978 is not 1939-1945. Also debunked.

On the specific matter of the Russians, they had pulled out economic assistance before the Chinese discovered Daqing anyway. Furthermore, to make the argument that because Japan didn't exploit Daqing that it couldn't is fallacious, given it wasn't even discovered until 1959.

10. See 9. why the above (^^^) claim is not even applicable. We were discussing INDONESIA and you brought up the Manchuria wells as a counter example, when I told you the Japanese did not because they COULD NOT. Even showed why three separate ways.

Howso? The Germans had 4X the workers at Ploesti to the shipload of Japanese experts drowned off Tokyo.

For one, the loss of the oil experts was in the Southern Pacific, not off Tokyo. Secondly, that was one shipment; it's like trying to say the Deepwater Horizon Incident is indicative of the American oil industry at large.

1. To deny it to the Allies.
2. Compare to Operation Catherine.
3. The reason a thing is done may not be obvious.
4. The Germans sold industrial metal casting tech to the Japanese, also stamp presses. So what is your point?
5. The Japanese needed HARD CURRENCY or a trade medium in kind to do business with the Hitlerite gangster regime.
6. If you have reasons 1-5, you do what the Japanese did.

Your source specifically noted the Japanese were seeking to acquire the Tungsten for themselves, not to deny, and British efforts to interdict Swedish iron ore has no impact on Japanese efforts at acquiring Tungsten.

7. Read your own citation again. I will not go around in circles on this as it has been debunked.

It specifically notes that the People's Republic of China did not acquire American drill bits until 1982. If you can provide a source that likewise asserts your claim about 1978, or even earlier usage via the Russians, that would be appreciated.

8. Debunked.

It has not been, as you have failed to provide a source. If you can directly cite something that contradicts mine with sufficient credentials, then you can suitably claim such. In the meantime, here is another citation:

"Japan's Oil Resources", Economic Geography, Vol. 22, No. 1 (Jan., 1946), pp. 14-23
In contrast to the American oil wells, which are getting deeper, most of those in Japan are very shallow. The average depth of more than half of the wells is less than 1,500 feet, and there are only a very few wells which go deeper than 5,000 feet. Since the new wells with a depth of 1,500-2,000 feet are producing appreciable quantities of oil, it appears that the shallow fields are not yet exhausted.

9. 1978 is not 1939-1945. Also debunked.

No, because oil field development began in Daqing in 1959/1960.

10. See 9. why the above (^^^) claim is not even applicable. We were discussing INDONESIA and you brought up the Manchuria wells as a counter example, when I told you the Japanese did not because they COULD NOT. Even showed why three separate ways.

We were actually originally discussing the Japanese discovering, and exploiting, the Daqing Oil Field in Manchuria. You attempted to cite their experience in the Netherlands East Indies as a counter, not the other way around. Finally, even if we take it as a given the Japanese couldn't, for whatever reason, develop the necessary equipment for whatever reason, why couldn't they just order it from the United States? That had all the other qualifications necessary and the United States IOTL was willing to sell equipment even into 1940:

"First Well Stimulates Search for Oil in Manchoukuo", Far Eastern Survey, Vol. 9, No. 21 (Oct. 23, 1940), pp. 252-253
Geological surveys, started in 1938 by the Manchuria Petroleum Co. and two other mining development companies, confirmed the original discovery and found several anticlines in the Fuhsin area which indicated the presence of a large oil field. Test borings were begun in August 1939, and oil was finally struck on April 28 at a depth of about 100 meters. The extent of the new oil field is not definitely known, but apparently it is potentially important. Japanese reports not only state that further investigations have disclosed the presence of four oil-bearing strata running 100 kilometers east and west, but they also suggest that other deposits are to be found in the locality up to a depth of several thousand meters.

In the exploitation of the new field, Manchoukuo is reported to be negotiating with Japan for a supply of mining materials and for engineers, and the Japan Petroleum Co. may take a part in its development. However, the problem of who is to work the Fuhsin field is still up in the air. Three plans are said to be under consideration: first, development by the Manchuria Petroleum Co., which runs the Manchouku oil monopoly and operates an oil refinery at Dairen using imported crude oil; secondly, the formation of a new company; and thirdly, the detachment of the Fuhsin coal field from the Manchuria Coal Mining Co., and the formation of a new company for the joint exploitation of coal and iron resources. The latter seems the more logical method, for the oil strata at Fuhsin are said to be found above and below the coal seams. At Fushun, where the oil shale overlies the coal beds, both the coal mine and the oil shale plant are run by one company, the S.M.R. It is also important that the exploitation of the new oil field should not interfere with the expansion of coal production. The Fuhsin mines are the most successful of the new mines developed by the Manchuria Coal Mining Co. and are now second only to Fushun in output.

Though no plan has yet been adopted, the discovery of one oil field has stimulated the further search for oil in Manchoukuo. This year's appropriation for prospecting the Fuhsin oil field has been increased from M2 million to M5 million and several new rotary drilling machines have been ordered from the United States. A number of test borings were made last year at Dalai Nor in northwest Manchoukuo and are being continued this year. Small quantities of oil are said to have been discovered. In addition, Japanese engineers are reported to be starting "large-scale" drilling for oil at Dalai Nor in Inner Mongolia where prospects are believed to be equally as good as at Fuhsin. A number of test borings made a year ago are said to have reached oil sands at a depth of 120 meters in seven places. It is still, of course, too early to tell whether these discoveries in Manchoukuo and Inner Mongolia are even important enough to affect the Japanese oil problem in its long-term aspects, but it is probable that exploitation will be pushed as far as it is probable that exploitation will be pushed as far as possible

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
For one, the loss of the oil experts was in the Southern Pacific, not off Tokyo. Secondly, that was one shipment; it's like trying to say the Deepwater Horizon Incident is indicative of the American oil industry at large.

Do you know where Me Shima Lighthouse IS?

The campaign against Japan’s oil supply was aided by loss of the 14,503 ton Army transport TAIYO MARU (ex-German liner CAP FINISTERRE) to an American submarine. At 1200, 7 May 1942, TAIYO MARU departed Mutsure, Japan for Singapore carrying a large number of oil field technicians to revive the refining facilities at Miri and Balikpapan and other technicians bound for Palembang, Sumatra. She also carried 34 soldiers and 1,010 civilians including military governors, doctors, staff, educators and technicians needed to administer conquered Southeast Asian regions, but at 1945, 8 May, LtCdr William A. Lent’s (USNA ‘25) USS GRENDADIER (SS-210) torpedoed TAIYO MARU 80 nms from Me-Shima Lighthouse. At 2040, TAIYO MARU sank. 656 of 1,044 passengers, four of 53 armed guards/gunners and 156 crew were KIA (total 817). The loss of the oil technichians undoubtedly delayed the Japanese in restoring oil production capacity.

Here.

Here.

On 12 April Grenadier, now under command of LCDR Willis Lent, departed Pearl Harbor for her second war patrol, along the Shanghai-Yokohama and Nagasaki-Formosa shipping lanes. On 1 May she sank the soviet merchant ship "Angarstroy".[7] On 8 May she torpedoed and sank one of her most important kills of the war, transport Taiyō Maru. Post-war examination of Japanese records showed Taiyō Maru to be more than just the ordinary transport; she was en route to the East Indies with a group of Japanese scientists, economists, and industrial experts, including renowned hydraulic engineer Yoichi Hatta who designed Chianan Irrigation and built Wusanto Reservoir in Taiwan, bent on expediting the exploitation of the conquered territory. Their loss was a notable blow to the Japanese war effort.

Goto-Islands-Japan_CNNPH.png

I misremembered. It was off Nagasaki.

Snip.

Refuted rest already. Refer to above posts for content.

I misremembered. It was off Nagasaki.

Snip.

Refuted rest already. Refer to above posts for content.

You are correct on the Lighthouse, my apologies. As for the rest, it's a resounding no.

Daqing Oil Field
The source bed in the Daqing Oilfield is mainly Mesozoic Cretaceous sandstone of continental facies, 900 to 1,200 meters underground.

My earlier citation of 400 meters was apparently the test bores. Regardless, Japan was definitely capable of exploiting at that depth with her existing technology:

"Japan's Oil Resources", Economic Geography, Vol. 22, No. 1 (Jan., 1946), pp. 14-23
In contrast to the American oil wells, which are getting deeper, most of those in Japan are very shallow. The average depth of more than half of the wells is less than 1,500 feet, and there are only a very few wells which go deeper than 5,000 feet. Since the new wells with a depth of 1,500-2,000 feet are producing appreciable quantities of oil, it appears that the shallow fields are not yet exhausted.

900 meters to 1,200 meters is, translated to the same measurement in the above source, 3,000 to 4,000 feet. As the above citation from Economic Geography shows, this was well within Japanese capabilities.

McPherson

Banned
You are correct on the Lighthouse, my apologies. As for the rest, it's a resounding no.

How so?

Already pointed out the date irrelevance.
My earlier citation of 400 meters was apparently the test bores. Regardless, Japan was definitely capable of exploiting at that depth with her existing technology:

Read it. Suggest you read it again. You might have misinterpreted it.

900 meters to 1,200 meters is, translated to the same measurement in the above source, 3,000 to 4,000 feet. As the above citation from Economic Geography shows, this was well within Japanese capabilities.

For water wells, not oil. There is a major difference.

Last edited:
How so?

Already pointed out the date irrelevance.

Read it. Suggest you read it again. You might have misinterpreted it.

For water wells, not oil. There is a major difference.

The date irrelevance is correct, because whatever the date might be, the depth of the oil deposits remains the same. My citation reveals that Japan was able drill for and recover oil from depths as deep as 5,000 feet in the 1940s, a 1,000 feet deeper than the Daqing oil deposit. It's not water wells either, as evidenced by the exploitation of the Eichigo Basin.

Last edited:

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Say Japan invades the Soviet Union in 1937 instead of China.

How would this impact Europe

Would this impact the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact

What would be the impact on the Eastern front

What do the Chinese, Nationalist and Communist, do under these circumstances?

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'

Ended up getting the book. It's useful if you ever want to what-if an alternate WAllied decision on Berlin or invasion of the home islands of course.

On the question of what Soviet preparations for attacking Japan, Giangreco’s description of what Japanese intelligence caught (Soviet OB transfers on land within Soviet territory) and what they missed (massive American lend-lease convoys through the sea of Okhotsk) seems highly counter-intuitive. You would think the latter would be much more observable to the Japanese than the former. It just seems like it would be easier for the Soviets to conceal what's going on in the interior of their country, while convoy activity on the open ocean would be harder to miss.

Ended up getting the book. It's useful if you ever want to what-if an alternate WAllied decision on Berlin or invasion of the home islands of course.

On the question of what Soviet preparations for attacking Japan, Giangreco’s description of what Japanese intelligence caught (Soviet OB transfers on land within Soviet territory) and what they missed (massive American lend-lease convoys through the sea of Okhotsk) seems highly counter-intuitive. You would think the latter would be much more observable to the Japanese than the former. It just seems like it would be easier for the Soviets to conceal what's going on in the interior of their country, while convoy activity on the open ocean would be harder to miss.

My guess is that L-L convoys also carried food aid so it would be harder to judge the proportion of military armaments delivered as well as those retained in the Far East. For comparison, the TSRR had definite ratios of civil vs military cargo that could be carried and the Japanese could readily monitor the level of rail traffic practically year round.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Without the threat of the Japanese, The nationalists are going to try and destroy the Communist party, A continuation of the Nanjing decade. Other than that I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_decade

Chiang is going to have betray the United Front (started at end of 36) to attack the Communists in 37, a move unpopular with many non communist politicians and independent military commanders, including some KMT factions.

The argument of people besides the hard right of KMT and Wang Jingwei will be that the Japanese attack on USSR provides China a don’t miss opportunity to fight against Japan alongside a strong ally.

John Garver wrote about Chiang Kaishek seeking an alliance with the Soviets to fight Japan, even before the fighting in Shanghai, and possibly even before Marco Polo Bridge.

Although Mao will cannily not want to risk all his forces on one throw at the Japanese, but he will be facing enormous internal pressure within the CCP to fight the Japanese for both reasons of Chinese nationalism and Socialist internationalism.