Japan attacks somewhere else other than Pearl Harbor?

I feel like there've been 3-4 different threads asking nearly the exact same question to the OP in the past couple weeks. Is there any way to combine them?

Starforce

Banned
I feel like there've been 3-4 different threads asking nearly the exact same question to the OP in the past couple weeks. Is there any way to combine them?

Didn't see any.

So... merchants loaded with men and guns suddenly take the Canal? Seems a bit iffy to me.

How? If the carriers aren't getting there troop transports aren't getting there.

I'm not sure exactly how they would do this, but what would it take to invade and take the Panama Canal?

McPherson

Banned
Try and take out the Panama Canal?

Actually not a bad move if they had the special forces for it in conjunction with Pearl Harbor. It would 2x the American naval problem if they succeeded.
When I timelined it, I assumed that thanks to greater participation in the First World War they did have the fleet train for it - the Kongos were present at the Battle of the Baltic Gates- and could strike at the mainland; and the target set was intended to cripple the American ability to make war in the near to medium terms. They went for the aircraft companies, their headquarters and design shops. Boeing, Chance- Vought, North American, Hughes, Consolidated, Douglas - all in Japanese naval aircraft range from the coast, and in addition to their value in themselves letting the IJN retain a qualitative edge for years to come, an excellent opportunity to tempt the Americans into the Decisive Battle.
The other side, of course, also got a vote.

1. You need 2 dozen fast oilers. Don't have enough.
2. You need to re-engine and re-gun the IJN capital ship fleet.
3. You need better destroyers.
4. The minimum flattop fleet for mission is 9 units but you only have 6.
5. The USAAF has a say and you head right into their TEETH.
6. You forgot KANSAS, OHIO, MISSOURI and especially NEW YORK, GEORGIA and CONNECTICUT. That is where US aviation is actually designed and built.

Last edited:
Didn't see any.

I'm not sure exactly how they would do this, but what would it take to invade and take the Panama Canal?
At last three divisions with sustained battleship and carrier support, which isn't happening in a million years for all the same reasons it's not happening on Oahu.

And that's just based on what was there in 1939.

McPherson

Banned
At last three divisions with sustained battleship and carrier support, which isn't happening in a million years for all the same reasons it's not happening on Oahu.

And that's just based on what was there in 1939.

Which is why a commando/sabotage operation to blow the locks and the sustainment dam is the only way and why I think

snowballs_chance_in_hell_lg_clr.gif

nbcman

Donor
It would take a miracle.

One of the reasons why additional base sites were necessary was the rapid increase in the Panama garrison in the last three months of 1940. During this period the strength had risen from about 21,500 officers and men to approximately 28,000, an increase of slightly more than 30 percent. During most of the following year, 1941, there was only a gradual rise. In January the garrison stood at about 28,700; in November it totaled approximately 31,400.

By the end of December the Panama garrison had risen to about 39,000 men; and at the end of January it had reached 47,600.

Also the Coastal defenses such as Fort Amador.

Plus two mobile 14" guns that could traverse the canal
Hawaii would have been an easier nut to crack than attacking the Panama Canal assuming the Japanese could manage to get any ships there.

Let us look at the basics again:

The Japanese goal was to get US out of the way so the 'Southern Resource Areas' could be occupied, gaining the resuorces to conquer China.

Only way to achieve this was to hit US hard. And as a bonus, the US - cowards as they are - would sue for peace.

Where did we see any concentration of US naval power? PH

San Diego? not so much in December '41

Maybe it could have been done better/smarter/faster/etc, but there was only one place to cripple US naval power in the Pacific - only one way of slowing US down enough for Japan to achieve its goals.

I also think we have some 3-4 threads on the same topic?

Starforce

Banned
Actually not a bad move if they had the special forces for it in conjunction with Pearl Harbor. It would 2x the American naval problem if they succeeded.

6. You forgot KANSAS, OHIO, MISSOURI and especially NEW YORK, GEORGIA and CONNECTICUT. That is where US aviation is actually designed and built.

If they struck Pearl Harbor, and the Panama Canal, that'd be quite a blow wouldn't it? America would be much more enraged. Would this encourage the US to hold onto the Canal?

With Godzilla. (sorry)

To add something constructive:
Attacking Pearl Harbor was an attempt to destroy the enemies fleet. Putting aside how wacky an idea to attack the USA was trying to take out their navy with a surprise attack in a naval war was a move that made sense. Attacking them only anywhere else would be much more stupid.
Wasn't exactly whacky.. Just no Cary through and no way to stop the USA from just sitting and waiting and rebuilding...

Ie if they could take out pearl.. And manage to inhibit production then sure, they had no way to do the second part.

Even a third option that is pretty far out such as disabling the canal... Unless they can keep up said damage.. Eh

If they struck Pearl Harbor, and the Panama Canal, that'd be quite a blow wouldn't it? America would be much more enraged. Would this encourage the US to hold onto the Canal?
Uh... Duh? It's a massively strategic canal, they're going to hold onto it if it's the last thing they do.

Leaving aside the plain impossibility of doing both.

Japanese logistics were stretched extremely thin with the PH raid and other offensives, sending even say a couple of merchies packed with troops below decks, which probably wouldn't work, would be hard

In what alternate history? Are you sure you're not totally missing the point here? After being on the sunny side of one of the most lopsided sea battles of all time precisely because the other lot didn't have a fleet train- the Russian Baltic Fleet at Tsushima- it's not that much of an AH stretch to have them put two and two together.

In order to serve the operational concept that you have in mind, whatever that is? Doesn't seem to be the same as mine.

For...again what concept? In principle yes, you always need better destroyers, which leaves this somewhere between an empty tautology and a data point without a set.

Are you from Boskone? Or worse yet, Frunze? Didactically precise comment without context, I can but presume that you are referring to Soviet Operational Art. 'More than the other guy, factoring quality, readiness, position and operational expectations into "more" ' is the actual requirement and always has been.

In 1941? They improved with practice - they began as bloody abysmal. Hit them hard enough early on and you stunt their growth anyway, which was kind of the point.

Lots of headquarters and design shops say otherwise, and well, if you think that lot is feasible from a carrier in the Pacific, admittedly Hornet flew off B-25s, but you can't just transpose the digits.
The only way to hit New York- and Grumman and Electric Boat- hard enough to hurt would be to get a team together from Unit 731 to covertly release enough bubonic plague and anthrax in the New York subway system to...actually that might be feasible. Supremely nasty, but doable.

[/QUOTE]

Germans pulled off Norway the same way.
Possible, but hard.
SNLF troops should do the job if the deception is a success.
The German merchants loaded with supplies and men were only used after naval units captured the ports. This is against 28,000 men of the US Army, not to mention coastal artillery and warships, a sabotage mission might work, but you can't TAKE the canal without a large assault force-tens if not hundreds of thousands of men

In what alternate history? Are you sure you're not totally missing the point here? After being on the sunny side of one of the most lopsided sea battles of all time precisely because the other lot didn't have a fleet train- the Russian Baltic Fleet at Tsushima- it's not that much of an AH stretch to have them put two and two together.
What are the Japanese sacrificing to get these ships? They weren't exactly swimming in money during the Interwar period, there's a strong argument to be made that Japan had maxed out its shipbuilding budget during this period just building what they started the war with and the massive expansion from the late 1930s on was made on the government equivalent of a credit card.

For...again what concept? In principle yes, you always need better destroyers, which leaves this somewhere between an empty tautology and a data point without a set.
Presumably, something less monomaniacly focused on surface combat as Japanese destroyers tended to be. Something more focused on AAW and ASW

In 1941? They improved with practice - they began as bloody abysmal. Hit them hard enough early on and you stunt their growth anyway, which was kind of the point.
The bombers may not be much of a threat, but I would not want to take the Kido Butai against the kinds of fighter fleets the Continental US could throw up.

Lots of headquarters and design shops say otherwise, and well, if you think that lot is feasible from a carrier in the Pacific, admittedly Hornet flew off B-25s, but you can't just transpose the digits.
It doesn't really matter how much aviation capacity is on the West Coast. The Japanese have a very limited ability to actually stop production with carrier aircraft. The kind of aviation-industrial complexes in Southern California are kinds of targets you work over for months with a thousand heavy bombers, not a few carrier deckloads. At best this disrupts production briefly before everything goes back online.

Driftless

Donor
On a Panama Canal attack. I think from the degree of difficulty standpoint, I would be a commando-type operation to damage lock controls. The locks on both ends are far enough from the respective sea shores to make naval bombardment very iffy.

It would be near impossible for a strong carrier or battleship fleet to get within striking distance, while passing through some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. Also, I'd think it difficult to really damage those locks and other hard structures via naval aviation.

The German merchants loaded with supplies and men were only used after naval units captured the ports. This is against 28,000 men of the US Army, not to mention coastal artillery and warships, a sabotage mission might work, but you can't TAKE the canal without a large assault force-tens if not hundreds of thousands of men
I didn't mean an take and hold.
Sabotage is the only way.
Blow the locks and the Canal kaput.

An actual naval strike on Panama means no attack on Pearl. A commando strike on the locks would be plausible. But it will still only delay the inevitable. The necessary ships for the Pacific have to go around South America, it takes long, but they will get there.

I wonder if they'd be able to transports the necessary ships, in parts, to the west coast over land... No? I'll be off then. *runs away*