James V, King of Scotland marries earlier and has children.

VVD0D95

Banned
Of course not but would Mary want a Protestant as future queen consort of Scotland? And would James want a Protestant as future queen consort of Scotland?
That could only strengthen the Protestant cause.

If Mary herself marries James, the two would try to produce a child.
If they succeed, this child will be the Catholic heir of both Scotland and England.
If they fail, things become interesting as Mary would probably try to revoke Henry VIII's will and make James her heir, arguing Elizabeth is a bastard. And even if the parliament refuses, James will try to take the throne of England after Mary's death. Being already king consort would likely help him and he would have much better chances than Mary QoS in OTL.
This is true. Though would Mary marry him? Given she only wanted a king otl?
Personally, I always love Mary in Scotland, but James hated the English pretty vehemently from what I understand and wanted his French match as laid out in the Treaty of Rouen.

Plus, if Mary's legitimate, once Henry and Anne have a son (especially since they're marrying 5 years earlier), Henry could marry her to the Dauphin and make his own French alliance. Or Portugal or Savoy or even Charles V if Isabella of Portugal dies earlier
this is very true, tho I could see james wanting to marry Mary simply to add to their future sons claim to England (you never know what could happen and all that)

this is very true, tho I could see james wanting to marry Mary simply to add to their future sons claim to England (you never know what could happen and all that)
Then unfortunately Charlotte doesn't need to be alive, unless you're planning on her taking the place as Henry's second wife (maybe Anne and Katherine both die of the sweat?). IIRC, Margaret Tudor pushed for James and Mary OTL but I don't think Henry VIII was ever quite interested.

I don't know. He may not be king but he would be heir apparent. That's nearly the same thing as it ensures he will be king one day. Actually, depending when his father dies, he may already be king.

Also, such a marriage has two advantages for Mary.
Firstly, it helps to create a Catholic alternative to Elizabeth in the hypothesis that Mary fails to have a child.
Secondly, it breaks the Auld Alliance and even leads to personal union between Scotland and England, allowing Mary's successors to control Scotland.

The question is: Would Mary see these advantages?
She may be so confident into having a child that she may neglect to have a backup plan. And she may foolishly think, like Henry VIII did, that having a Stuart on the throne of England would lead to Scotland dominating England instead of the opposite.

Last edited:
To be honest the easiest way to have James marry earlier is for Madeleine to be off the table. Say she dies prior to the 1530s, James really has no options for marrying other than Marie of Bourbon or waiting for Marguerite, who isn't even specifically available. Likely here, if Francois is offering the money, he's going to just take the Princess of the Blood and hopefully they have a few kids before she dies, if she dies around the same time as OTL.

Or, if you want something a little different, Margaret of Austria tried to set up Mary of Austria (the widowed Queen Consort of Hungary) with James around 1528. Just have Mary be more open to a remarriage and go from there. She's a few years older than him but considering he died in his early 30s it really won't matter as long as they have a son.

VVD0D95

Banned
Then unfortunately Charlotte doesn't need to be alive, unless you're planning on her taking the place as Henry's second wife (maybe Anne and Katherine both die of the sweat?). IIRC, Margaret Tudor pushed for James and Mary OTL but I don't think Henry VIII was ever quite interested.
Hmmm this is true, I have some thinking to do.
I don't know. He may not be king but he would be heir apparent. That's nearly the same thing as it ensures he will be king one day. Actually, depending when his father dies, he may already be king.

Also, such a marriage has two advantages for Mary.
Firstly, it helps to create a Catholic alternative to Elizabeth in the hypothesis that Mary fails to have a child.
Secondly, it breaks the Auld Alliance and even leads to personal union between Scotland and England, allowing Mary's successors to control Scotland.

The question is: Would Mary see these advantages?
She may be so confident into having a child that she may neglect to have a backup plan. And she may foolishly think, like Henry VIII did, that having a Stuart on the throne of England would lead to Scotland dominating England instead of the opposite.
Mary being Mary she may well be very confident she can have a kid or two.
To be honest the easiest way to have James marry earlier is for Madeleine to be off the table. Say she dies prior to the 1530s, James really has no options for marrying other than Marie of Bourbon or waiting for Marguerite, who isn't even specifically available. Likely here, if Francois is offering the money, he's going to just take the Princess of the Blood and hopefully they have a few kids before she dies, if she dies around the same time as OTL.

Or, if you want something a little different, Margaret of Austria tried to set up Mary of Austria (the widowed Queen Consort of Hungary) with James around 1528. Just have Mary be more open to a remarriage and go from there. She's a few years older than him but considering he died in his early 30s it really won't matter as long as they have a son.
This is true, though if james and Mary have a son, or sons, I can’t see the rough wooing happening (no heiress for henry to force his son on), which could well extend his life.

Slightly random thought that came to me earlier today. Otl James V didn't marry until he was in his late twenties, first to Madeleine Valois and then to Mary of Guise. But, what if he had married earlier, when he was in his early twenties?

Perhaps to a surviving Charlotte of France? (I'm presuming that Charlotte's betrothal to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor would be cancelled the moment the man decides to wed Isabella of Portugal.

So, perhaps something like this:

James V, King of Scots (b.1512) m Charlotte of France (b.1518) in 1532.

Issue:

James, Duke of Rothesay (b.1534)

stillborn son (b.1535: d.1535)

Margaret Stewart, Princess of Scotland (b.1537)

Arthur, Duke of Albany (b.1539)

Claude Stewart, Princess of Scotland (b.1541)

stillborn daughter (b.1543: d.1543)

Henry, Duke of Ross (b.1545)

Now, a part of me does think that this will change or butterfly away the Rough Wooing as there's no heiress for Henry VIII to try and marry his son Edward to, that could mean that James V himself does not die thanks to the illness that came from the Wooing. Additionally, I think that with James having children sooner, he may well feel more comfortable meeting Henry VIII at York as was proposed twice, once in the late 1530s and again in 1541. What results from these discussions I do not know, but would be interesting to see.

Also, I do think that James continues in his handling of heretics, and the like, seeing them burnt and driven out. Likely ensuring that his son receives the same views in his education.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

@Kellan Sullivan @FalconHonour @The_Most_Happy @Jonathan @ordinarylittleme @The Professor @Tyler96 @FouDuRoy @isabella @HortenseMancini
No heiress ? Margaret Stewart is same age as Edward

True but it's a lot harder I know a woman that wants to get into property developer but she will be in her mid to late 30s before even in a position with a good income.

For most people it's the 30s and 40s when you have the most professional success it's just a lot harder to get pregnant.

With Mary I being over wait and next to no exercise it would be a lot harder fatness in this time period was a status symbol.

If you wish to talk about late pregnancy start a thread or message me privately.
Mary was overweight...? She starved herself in her youth...

Mary being Mary she may well be very confident she can have a kid or two.
I know.
But, of course, marrying James does not mean Mary renounces to produce children. Was she stupid enough to refuse to consider a backup plan ?
Also, a marriage with James also leads to union with Scotland. That’s already very important, even without taking into account the fact that Mary may or may not have children.
In OTL, the marriage with Philip was supposed to lead to union with Netherlands. A child of Philip and Mary would’ve inherited England and Netherlands while Spain and Philip’s other territories were supposed to go to Don Carlos.
Would Mary prefer union with Scotland or union with Netherlands ?
Geographically, both make sense. However, I think Scotland is better because it unifies the island of Great Britain, meaning England no longer has land borders to defend, save from Calais (while Netherlands, on the opposite, add land borders). Also, it breaks the Auld Alliance that France and Scotland had against England since centuries.
This is why I think James would be the best choice for both England’s safety and Mary’s wish to bring it back to Catholicism.
I guess most of Mary’s advisors would say her that. Would she be reasonable enough to agree or would she stubbornly pursue her wish to marry a Habsburg ? I guess we can't be sure.

Elizabeth can't stop Mary shipping her off to Scotland if she isn't queen yet
But why would Mary do that ? Why would she want a Protestant as the future queen (even consort) of Scotland ?
Even James is unlikely to be pleased with the idea though I guess he may reluctantly agree if Mary really insists. But, once again, why would she do that ?
It would be a much better plan for Mary to marry the Scottish heir herself and send Elizabeth to a convent.
And even if Mary is too stubborn and still marries Philip, I still fail to see why she would want a Scottish match for Elizabeth.

I know.
But, of course, marrying James does not mean Mary renounces to produce children. Was she stupid enough to refuse to consider a backup plan ?
Also, a marriage with James also leads to union with Scotland. That’s already very important, even without taking into account the fact that Mary may or may not have children.
In OTL, the marriage with Philip was supposed to lead to union with Netherlands. A child of Philip and Mary would’ve inherited England and Netherlands while Spain and Philip’s other territories were supposed to go to Don Carlos.
Would Mary prefer union with Scotland or union with Netherlands ?
Geographically, both make sense. However, I think Scotland is better because it unifies the island of Great Britain, meaning England no longer has land borders to defend, save from Calais (while Netherlands, on the opposite, add land borders). Also, it breaks the Auld Alliance that France and Scotland had against England since centuries.
This is why I think James would be the best choice for both England’s safety and Mary’s wish to bring it back to Catholicism.
I guess most of Mary’s advisors would say her that. Would she be reasonable enough to agree or would she stubbornly pursue her wish to marry a Habsburg ? I guess we can't be sure.

But why would Mary do that ? Why would she want a Protestant as the future queen (even consort) of Scotland ?
Even James is unlikely to be pleased with the idea though I guess he may reluctantly agree if Mary really insists. But, once again, why would she do that ?
It would be a much better plan for Mary to marry the Scottish heir herself and send Elizabeth to a convent.
And even if Mary is too stubborn and still marries Philip, I still fail to see why she would want a Scottish match for Elizabeth.
She only wanted a king. Scottish or Spanish does not really matter, just that he is a king. Although frankly she could just marry one after the other. Anyway, since she is quite old for childbearing, perhaps she does something very stupid like stealing a baby of her maid's after her false pregnancies. Since I hope she's smarter than that, she doesn't, and instead if she marries James, offers any daughter she has to Don Carlos?

Elizabeth, well, she's unlikely to wed Scottish...but definitely could be pushed to, say, Don Carlos...

VVD0D95

Banned
indeed I guess it depends on whether mary has the sense to marry James assuming things go as otl which they may not

Although frankly she could just marry one after the other.
What?
A Catholic marriage is supposed to be for life and there is no reason to think James or Philip may die before the unhealthy and much older Mary.

Anyway, since she is quite old for childbearing, perhaps she does something very stupid like stealing a baby of her maid's after her false pregnancies.
As you said, that would be very stupid. She did not do that in OTL anyway.

Elizabeth, well, she's unlikely to wed Scottish...but definitely could be pushed to, say, Don Carlos...
This was not done in OTL either. And Mary would probably dislike the idea of a Protestant queen consort of Spain even more than a Protestant queen consort of Scotland.

Since I hope she's smarter than that, she doesn't, and instead if she marries James, offers any daughter she has to Don Carlos?
If Mary marries James, Philip likely marries his cousin/half-aunt Maria, duchess of Viseu. It implies Philip is not a widower in 1559 and Don Carlos is the one marrying Elisabeth of France, as initially planned.

It may actually have huge consequences. If Don Carlos and Elisabeth of France have a son, said son would be heir to Spain. He would also be heir to Portugal if Sebastian I still dies childless. He may even claim France if all of his French uncles still die without any surviving legitimate son. However, butterflies are likely to change this point.
Francis II cannot marry Mary QoS as she would not even exist. However, he may still marry a daughter of James V. Or maybe one of Ferdinand I's last daughters. He is likely to still die very young and childless, though.
Charles IX may still marry Elisabeth of Austria. Or a daughter of James and Mary. Or a daughter of Philip and Maria. If he has a legitimate son, his brother Henri stays in Poland, Stephen Bathory stays in Transylvania and Sigismund Vasa stays in Sweden. (That's actually crazy how so many PODs lead to that.)
If Charles IX has a legitimate son, meaning Henri stays in Poland, Henri would probably have to marry a Jagiellon descendant. If Charles IX still has no legitimate son, Henri still comes back to France and is likely to marry Louise de Lorraine-Vaudémont as in OTL. I am unsure how likely are butterflies to prevent her miscarriage.
The duke of Alençon would not want to marry Elizabeth Tudor and is likely to marry someone else before dying. Maybe a daughter of James and Mary or a daughter of Philip and Maria. Or even a daughter of one of James' siblings. He may have a son.

indeed I guess it depends on whether mary has the sense to marry James assuming things go as otl which they may not
Exactly.

Last edited:
Family tree: You have the wrong date of birth for Charlotte.
P.o.D is that one girl doesn’t die of measles. [1]

James V, King of Scots (1512-1547) [2] m. 1532 Charlotte of France (1516-1557) [3]
1. James VI and I, King of Scotland and Englandprev. Duke of Rothesay (1534-1587) [4] m. 1554, Elizabeth I Tudor of England, Queen Consort of Scotland (1533-1601) [4]​
1. Princess Charlotte of Scotland and England (1555-?)​
2. James, Prince of Wales, Duke of Rothesay and Cornwall (1556-?)​
3. Princess Mary of Scotland and England (1557-?)​
4. Princess Margaret of Scotland and England (1559-?)​
5. Prince Alexander, Duke of York and Strathearn (1561-?)​
2. Stillborn son (1535)
3. Margaret, Queen Consort of Spain, previously, Princess of Scotland and Queen Consort of England (1536-1590) m. a) 1546, Edward VI Tudor of England (1537-1553) m. 1553, Philip II Habsburg of Spain (1527–1598) [5]​
1. Prince Philip (1554-?)​
2. Princess Margarita (1555-?)​
3. Prince Diego (1556-?)​
4. Prince Ferdinand (1558-?)​
5. Princess Carlota (1560-?​
4. Stillborn son (1537)
5. Robert, Duke of Albany (1539) m. 1556, Catherine Vasa of Sweden (1539-1610)​
1. Margaret (1560–1588)​
2. Charlotte (1562–1621)​
3. James, Duke of Albany (1563–1625)​
4. Robert (1566–1625)​
5. David (1569–1636)​
6. Alexander (1570–1573)​
7. Catherine (1572–1573)​
8. Mary (1574–1630)​
9. Charles (1577–1603)​
7. Claude (1582–1616)​
6. Claude, Duke of Ferrara, previously Princess of Scotland and Queen of France (1541-1618) m. a. 1558, Francis II Valois-Angoulême of France (1544-1560) b. 1562, Alfonso II d'Este, Duke of Ferrara (1533-1597)​
1a. Princess Frances of France (1559-?)​
2b. Princess Renée of Ferrara (1564-?​
3b. Alfonso III d'Este, Duke of Ferrara (1566-?)​
4b. Princess Charlotte of Ferrara (1569-?)​
5b. Princess Claude of Ferrara (1569-?)​
7. Stillborn daughter (1543)
8. Henry, Duke of Ross (1545-1608) m. 1565, Lady Jean Gordon of Huntly (1546–1629)​
1. Princess Margaret (1566-1648)​
2. James, Duke of Ross (1567-1639)​
3. Prince Robert (1568-1615)​
4. Princess Charlotte (1570-1651)​
5. Princess Jean (1573-1578)​
6. Princess Elizabeth (1574-1641)​
7. Prince George (1575-1615)​
8. Prince Gordon (1576-1579)​
9. Stillborn boy (1577)​
10. Prince John (1580–1654)​
11. Princess Mary (1582-1605)​
12. Stillborn boy (1585)​

[1] With the P.o.D. being in 1524, I don’t see this having to many butterflies to begin with.
Her father is away at war and her mother is already dead, so nothing will affect these facts.
In 1518, at aged, two, she was engaged to the 18-year-old King Charles I of Spain. Although Charles was in no hurry to marry.

The engagement contract was suspended following France supporting Navarre, during the Battle of Esquiroz, fought on June 30, 1521, which saw a decisive victory for the Spanish against the Franco-Navarrese army.

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, tried to approach Charles into marrying Princess Mary Tudor of England, however with War being the only thing on his mind, he did not accept this offer. He also knew Henry VIII of England wouldn’t turn his nose up to fighting against the French.

During the Treaty of Rome (1525) captive King, Francis I, tried to renew the former engagement between the Holy Roman Emperor and his daughter. However by this point, Charles was no longer interested in an alliance with France or England and could wait no longer for Charlotte Valois-Angoulême or his cousin, Mary Tudor to get older because he was determined to have legitimate children. His engagement was called off, the alliance with England was abandoned, and he finally sought to marry his other cousin, Isabella of Portugal. There were many more advantages - she was closer to him in age (she was only three years his junior), fluent in Spanish, and offered a dowry of 900,000 Portuguese cruzados or Castilian folds which was more than enough to solve many of his financial problems brought on by the recent war.
Her survival does not cause Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon to have a male heir, his desire for a son will still cause Henry to annul his marriage and arrange the marriage to Anne Boleyn.

[2] Following the death of his mother, Margaret Tudor, in 1541 removed any incentive for peace with England, and war broke out. Initially, the Scots won a victory at the Battle of Haddon Rig in August 1542.
In October the James V meet with his uncle, Henry VIII, at York. The talks were said to be intense with neither side wishing to concede an surrender.
However the Treaty of York (1543) would see peace between the two kingdoms, with a compromise coming in the form of Henry giving land over to Scotland in exchange for James allowing his daughter to Margaret to marry Edward, Prince of Wales.
(This avoids the rough wooing war.)
James V’s death came in the winter of 1547 from pneumonia.
[3] I’ve placed Charlotte’s date of death around her 40th~41st birthday as her mother died aged 24, as well as the fact that only one of the four daughters of Francis and Claude lived to the age of 51.
Together with her sisters Madeleine and Margaret, she was raised by her aunt, Marguerite de Navarre. This lasted until 1530, when her father remarried and his new wife, Eleanor of Austria, took them into her own household.
With the marriage to Charles V, definitely out the window by 1526, the next option was James V, this was due to the Franco-Scottish Treaty of Rouen, bolstering the Auld Alliance after Scotland's defeat at the Battle of Flodden. A marriage to a French Princess for the Scottish King was one of its provisions.
In April 1530, John Stewart, Duke of Albany, was appointed commissioner to finalise the royal marriage between James V and Charlotte.

The couple were married on 1 January 1532 at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. There was a banquet that night in the Louvre Palace.

Francis I also provided Charlotte with a very generous (and much needed) dowry, which considerably boosted the Scottish treasury.

According to the marriage contract made at Blois, Charlotte renounced her and any of her heirs' claims to the French throne. If James died first, Charlotte would retain for her lifetime assets including the Earldoms of Fife, Strathearn, and Orkney with Falkland Palace, Stirling Castle, and Dingwall Castle, with the Lordship of Galloway and Threave Castle.

The marriage was a happy one and the Queen served as regent for her son from 1537 to his majority in 1550, when James VI was coronated as King at 16.
[4] The marriage to Princess Elizabeth was arranged by Queen Mary I, who wishing to concentrate on the kingdom didn’t want to marry and didn’t want her Protestant half-sister pushing their claim over their Catholic cousin.

James would marry Elizabeth in a Catholic ceremony and raise their children in the faith of Catholicism.
Many would say that his position as King of England was due to jure uxoris (the Latin phrase meaning "by right of (his) wife") as his wife held the official title suo jure ("in her own right"). But these remarks were squashed as Mary had named him her heir, in the Fourth Succession Act 1554, placing Catholic heirs above non-Catholic relatives. This act placed Elizabeth below all of James V’s children in the line of succession as well as displacing all descendants of Charles Brandon, Duke of Sussex and his wife Mary Tudor, Dowager Queen of France.
[5] As their eldest daughter, Margaret was engaged to Edward, Prince of Wales in Treaty of York, in 1543.
Three years later, 10 year old, Margaret travelled down to London and was married to 9 year old Edward, they would spend their marriage in separate palaces. Upon Henry VIIIs death in 1547, she was declared Queen of England (sadly, even at 11 years, she isn’t the youngest Queen consort. Isabella of Valois, married 29 year old, widowed king, Richard II, aged 6 years 11 months and 25 days when she became queen in 1396.)
At King Edwards’s fourteenth birthday, there were talks of trying to have the young couple begin sharing a bed, but Edward wished to hold off until his 16th birthday. However, Edward would pass away in 1553, three months before his 16 birthday.
His heir was Lady Jane Grey, who was named queen but lost the throne 9 days later.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned

James V, King of Scots (1512-1547) [2] m. 1532 Charlotte of France (1516-1557) [3]
1. James VI and I, King of Scotland and Englandprev. Duke of Rothesay (1534-1587) [4] m. 1554, Elizabeth I Tudor of England, Queen Consort of Scotland (1533-1601) [4]​
2. Stillborn son (1535)
3. Margaret, Queen Consort of Spain, previously, Princess of Scotland and Queen Consort of England (1536-1590) m. a) 1546, Edward VI Tudor of England (1537-1553) m. 1553, Philip II Habsburg of Spain (1527–1598) [5]​
4. Stillborn son (1537)
1. Margaret (1560–1588)​
4. Robert (1566–1625)​
5. David (1569–1636)​
8. Mary (1574–1630)​
9. Charles (1577–1603)​
7. Claude (1582–1616)​
6. Claude, Duke of Ferrara, previously Princess of Scotland and Queen of France (1541-1618) m. a. 1558, Francis II Valois-Angoulême of France (1544-1560) b. 1562, Alfonso II d'Este, Duke of Ferrara (1533-1597)​
8. Henry, Duke of Ross (1545-1608) m. 1565, Lady Jean Gordon of Huntly (1546–1629)​
9. Stillborn boy (1577)​

[1] With the P.o.D. being in 1524, I don’t see this having to many butterflies to begin with.
Her father is away at war and her mother is already dead, so nothing will affect these facts.
In 1518, at aged, two, she was engaged to the 18-year-old King Charles I of Spain. Although Charles was in no hurry to marry.

The engagement contract was suspended following France supporting Navarre, during the Battle of Esquiroz, fought on June 30, 1521, which saw a decisive victory for the Spanish against the Franco-Navarrese army.

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, tried to approach Charles into marrying Princess Mary Tudor of England, however with War being the only thing on his mind, he did not accept this offer. He also knew Henry VIII of England wouldn’t turn his nose up to fighting against the French.

During the Treaty of Rome (1525) captive King, Francis I, tried to renew the former engagement between the Holy Roman Emperor and his daughter. However by this point, Charles was no longer interested in an alliance with France or England and could wait no longer for Charlotte Valois-Angoulême or his cousin, Mary Tudor to get older because he was determined to have legitimate children. His engagement was called off, the alliance with England was abandoned, and he finally sought to marry his other cousin, Isabella of Portugal. There were many more advantages - she was closer to him in age (she was only three years his junior), fluent in Spanish, and offered a dowry of 900,000 Portuguese cruzados or Castilian folds which was more than enough to solve many of his financial problems brought on by the recent war.
Her survival does not cause Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon to have a male heir, his desire for a son will still cause Henry to annul his marriage and arrange the marriage to Anne Boleyn.

[2] Following the death of his mother, Margaret Tudor, in 1541 removed any incentive for peace with England, and war broke out. Initially, the Scots won a victory at the Battle of Haddon Rig in August 1542.
In October the James V meet with his uncle, Henry VIII, at York. The talks were said to be intense with neither side wishing to concede an surrender.
However the Treaty of York (1543) would see peace between the two kingdoms, with a compromise coming in the form of Henry giving land over to Scotland in exchange for James allowing his daughter to Margaret to marry Edward, Prince of Wales.
[3] I’ve placed Charlotte’s date of death around her 40th~41st birthday as her mother died aged 24, as well as the fact that only one of the four daughters of Francis and Claude lived to the age of 51.
Together with her sisters Madeleine and Margaret, she was raised by her aunt, Marguerite de Navarre. This lasted until 1530, when her father remarried and his new wife, Eleanor of Austria, took them into her own household.
With the marriage to Charles V, definitely out the window by 1526, the next option was James V, this was due to the Franco-Scottish Treaty of Rouen, bolstering the Auld Alliance after Scotland's defeat at the Battle of Flodden. A marriage to a French Princess for the Scottish King was one of its provisions.
In April 1530, John Stewart, Duke of Albany, was appointed commissioner to finalise the royal marriage between James V and Charlotte.

The couple were married on 1 January 1532 at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. There was a banquet that night in the Louvre Palace.

Francis I also provided Charlotte with a very generous (and much needed) dowry, which considerably boosted the Scottish treasury.

According to the marriage contract made at Blois, Charlotte renounced her and any of her heirs' claims to the French throne. If James died first, Charlotte would retain for her lifetime assets including the Earldoms of Fife, Strathearn, and Orkney with Falkland Palace, Stirling Castle, and Dingwall Castle, with the Lordship of Galloway and Threave Castle.

The marriage was a happy one and the Queen served as regent for her son from 1537 to his majority in 1550, when James VI was coronated as King at 16.
[4] The marriage to Princess Elizabeth was arranged by Queen Mary I, who wishing to concentrate on the kingdom didn’t want to marry and didn’t want her Protestant half-sister pushing their claim over their Catholic cousin.

James would marry Elizabeth in a Catholic ceremony and raise their children in the faith of Catholicism.
Many would say that his position as King of England was due to jure uxoris (the Latin phrase meaning "by right of (his) wife") as his wife held the official title suo jure ("in her own right"). But these remarks were squashed as Mary had named him her heir, in the Fourth Succession Act 1554, placing Catholic heirs above non-Catholic relatives. This act placed Elizabeth below all of James V’s children in the line of succession as well as displacing all descendants of Charles Brandon, Duke of Sussex and his wife Mary Tudor, Dowager Queen of France.
[5] As their eldest daughter, Margaret was engaged to Edward, Prince of Wales in Treaty of York, in 1543.
Three years later, 10 year old, Margaret travelled down to London and was married to 9 year old Edward, they would spend their marriage in separate palaces. Upon Henry VIIIs death in 1547, she was declared Queen of England (sadly, even at 11 years, she isn’t the youngest Queen consort. Isabella of Valois, married 29 year old, widowed king, Richard II, aged 6 years 11 months and 25 days when she became queen in 1396.)
At King Edwards’s fourteenth birthday, there were talks of trying to have the young couple begin sharing a bed, but Edward wished to hold off until his 16th birthday. However, Edward would pass away in 1553, three months before his 16 birthday.
His heir was Lady Jane Grey, who was named queen but lost the throne 9 days later.
I
Like this plenty to play with :)

2. Stillborn son (1535)
4. Stillborn son (1537)
1. Margaret (1560–1588)​
4. Robert (1566–1625)​
5. David (1569–1636)​
8. Mary (1574–1630)​
9. Charles (1577–1603)​
7. Claude (1582–1616)​
9. Stillborn boy (1577)​

Why is there a double alliance with Elizabeth I and Edward VI?

Last edited: