POD
Central London, 19th September, 2016

‘I can’t believe we got him.’ The undercover journalist said.

‘Shhh he’s still not that far behind us’ his companion replied.

‘Sorry, I know, but I can’t believe we got the bastard’

It was quiet outside the Restaurant, it was a Tuesday night after all, and Big Sam was only just emerging. The two journos – in their guise as businessmen – were standing further down the pavement waiting for their cab.

‘I mean a way round 3rd party ownership? He’s given us a way past FA and FIFA regulations, the England Manager! This is a big win Dave! And we got it all on tape.’

The second journalist’s face went pale. He started searching for something in his jacket pocket.

‘What is it?’

‘Everythin alright gents?’ Big Sam drawled, he was only a little tipsy which was impressive after the pint of wine and the three double Drambuie’s he’d had. Not to mention the Cheeky Vimto he had downed before dinner. Even so his agent was propping him up, and his big black coat was draped over his shoulders.

‘Oh, yes thanks’ the first undercover journalist said.

‘David?’ Sam asked casting his gimlet eye over the frantic man peering inside his jacket.

Dave straightened ‘Oh yeah, no problem, just thought I’d left my phone, all good. Thanks again for meeting us Sam.’

‘Don’t mention it’ the big man said as his car pulled up. ‘Great night lads, and er, give me a call about that deal next week yeah?’ He pulled the door open and slumped heavily in the back seat the agent closed the door and, with a nod at the two men, climbed in beside the driver.

‘What the hell is wrong with you?’ the first journalist asked his partner ‘do you want to give the game away, why don’t you just show him the tape and the camera? “Oh by the way Sam I don’t work for a Shanghai-based investment firm, I work for the Telegraph”.’ The other journalist said nothing but just stared across the pavement at dark office windows. Their cab arrived. He made no move to get in.

‘What is it?’ His friend asked again.

‘Simon, I am sorry’ he finally replied ‘we don’t have it on tape’. His voice was little more than a whisper.

‘What do you mean?’

‘The tape….I forgot to turn it on….I’m sorry.’

They stood in silence for a heartbeat, Big Sam’s car turned the corner at the end of the street.

‘But the video right? We have that?’

Silence again. ‘We have that right?’

‘They’re off the same system, so we lost both. Sorry.’

‘So we just had the England manager, tell us how to avoid FIFA regulations, and to do it for almost half a million quid? Like actually admitting to corruption. Not to mention his…chattin wham about Neville, Hodgson and HMRC? And we have none of it on tape?! No evidence? Nothing?’

‘That’s correct. I am sorry.’ David said, turning to walk home and leaving his friend to take the cab.

BBC NEWS, 9th October 2016

“Good Evening you are watching the BBC. Our top story again tonight: Martin Glen, the CEO of the Football Association has reiterated his support for England Manager Sam Allardyce. Mr Glen said that recent revelations released by The Daily Telegraph of bribes and bungs in football had “no proven connection” to the England manager and that he retained the full confidence of the FA. Allardyce, who is currently with the England team ahead of their world cup qualifying match in Slovenia, has refused to comment on social media allegations that he is one of the unnamed managers referred to by the Telegraph’s investigation into football corruption.

That’s all from us tonight, now we go to the News where you are.”

This is just a short TL. Call it a TLIAW if you like (though I will probably take longer). To people who usually follow the Sons in Splendour, that TL is by no means done, I am planning the next huge chunk, I just had this quick idea.