Italian Americas

I've read online that Cristopher Columbus sought financing for his project of reaching Asia in Genoa and Venice before going to Castille.
Do you think the Genoese and the Venetians could have had conquered part of the Americas?
Can you picture Italian colonial empires in both continents?

Deleted member 78540

I've read online that Cristopher Columbus sought financing for his project of reaching Asia in Genoa and Venice before going to Castille.
Do you think the Genoese and the Venetians could have had conquered part of the Americas?
I don't think it would be possible unfortunately with Italian ports being too far in the meditaranian

The Italian countries were simply too small and unable to exert such a large degree of influence, IMO -- especially given the distance.

Paradoxer

Banned
Maybe if both united and expanded it in northern Italy and Mediterranean they could. Preferably some African ports before hand

There was a plan in 1608 for the Grand Duchy of Tuscany colonizing modern-day French Guiana, called the Thornton Expedition. It didn’t work out, because the Grand Duke died, and his successor was disinterested
They’d be on the periphery of major colonial powers, like Danish or Dutch holdings, some failing or succeeding based on historical whim.

Depending on the definition of Italian, the brief Knights Hospitaller colony might be included from OTL.