Isaac's Empire

The Flags are fabulous, congratulations.

I might just throw, if not a hat, a beret, into the ring regarding cosmology.

I imagine that the common people don't particularly think a great deal about such things; even though the world is farther advanced than OTL at the comparable date, it certainly seems, in Rhomania at least, that the church is so tied to education and the scientific disciplines are structured in such a manner that such things aren't part of the average peasant or workers education.

That being said, in educated circles I imagine that Heliocentrism has been widely adopted, in fact I don't see why it should have been as great an issue as it was in OTL (not that it was even really an issue, as far as I understand any controversy was mostly blown up by politics and disobedience of the papacy) unless it came from outside and the Uniate church has a particularly strong view regarding the physical heavens as its domain entirely.

Precise astronomical observation is essential for maintaining the calendar, particularly as I believe there has not been a change in calendars yet and technologically ATL should have observed planetary motion at least in the 16th century. I imagine that Heliocentrism had been growing in support since the early 16th century but was only conclusively proven by the observations of, say a Galician monk from some high mountain monastery in the early 1700s by observing the parallax of 61 Cygni, Vega and Alpha Centauri. Following that I imagine that the only debate is as to whether the sun is the centre of the universe or not. THough this is probably obvious, the increased influence of the comparatively mystical Uniate church may have delayed this question so that it remains unanswered as of the present, though observation of galaxies should definitively prove it soon.

Just a few thoughts.

The Flags are fabulous, congratulations.

I might just throw, if not a hat, a beret, into the ring regarding cosmology.

I imagine that the common people don't particularly think a great deal about such things; even though the world is farther advanced than OTL at the comparable date, it certainly seems, in Rhomania at least, that the church is so tied to education and the scientific disciplines are structured in such a manner that such things aren't part of the average peasant or workers education.

That being said, in educated circles I imagine that Heliocentrism has been widely adopted, in fact I don't see why it should have been as great an issue as it was in OTL (not that it was even really an issue, as far as I understand any controversy was mostly blown up by politics and disobedience of the papacy) unless it came from outside and the Uniate church has a particularly strong view regarding the physical heavens as its domain entirely.

Precise astronomical observation is essential for maintaining the calendar, particularly as I believe there has not been a change in calendars yet and technologically ATL should have observed planetary motion at least in the 16th century. I imagine that Heliocentrism had been growing in support since the early 16th century but was only conclusively proven by the observations of, say a Galician monk from some high mountain monastery in the early 1700s by observing the parallax of 61 Cygni, Vega and Alpha Centauri. Following that I imagine that the only debate is as to whether the sun is the centre of the universe or not. THough this is probably obvious, the increased influence of the comparatively mystical Uniate church may have delayed this question so that it remains unanswered as of the present, though observation of galaxies should definitively prove it soon.

Just a few thoughts.

Ha. Nice contributions there...

I wrote a scientific developments piece from the 10th to 15th centuries here, so please go and have a look and comment if the inspiration strikes you.

But briefly:

- Common people don't really care about the true nature of the universe; this is a preoccupation of scientists and natural philosophers for the most part.

- Heliocentrism has been accepted fact for centuries (as my scientific developments schedule shows). But I like the idea of this Galician monk whose observations turn the tide of opinion. Care to him name him?

- I think by 1770 the "crystal spheres" theory has also been disproved for a long time and "Newtonian physics" generally accepted.

Would readers like an update to my 'Renaissance' scientific developments piece?

Ha. Nice contributions there...

I wrote a scientific developments piece from the 10th to 15th centuries here, so please go and have a look and comment if the inspiration strikes you.

I knew I'd read that all before but had failed to find it.

But briefly:

- Common people don't really care about the true nature of the universe; this is a preoccupation of scientists and natural philosophers for the most part.

- Heliocentrism has been accepted fact for centuries (as my scientific developments schedule shows). But I like the idea of this Galician monk whose observations turn the tide of opinion. Care to him name him?

You say astronomy breaks free from astrology in 1444 and rejects geocentrism. That makes perfect sense, Heliocentrism has been around for a great length of time but to prove it you need to observe Stellar Parallax which wasn't achieved in OTL until the 1838, so perhaps a few lingering die-hards and then final proof from . . . Olexsander Holonyak (I think Galicia is slavic, anyway thats a Rusyn name) in say 1703? That would put it just before the emergence of evolutionary theory and maybe add to a sense that rationalism is finally putting paid to the old order and be a touchstone for those in the church who supported evolution. Also, instead of being named Bessel's Star or Holonyak's Star I think it would have acquired the name of the patron saint of his monastery, St Helena's Star.

- I think by 1770 the "crystal spheres" theory has also been disproved for a long time and "Newtonian physics" generally accepted.

Would readers like an update to my 'Renaissance' scientific developments piece?

I think crystal spheres are right out and Newtonian physics has to be in for the technology level that has been reached but actual proof of the Suns position in the universe, though almost universally accepted, didn't emerge until other galaxies were observed in the 1920s (ours being so irritating difficult to look at). In IE I can see this being a less advanced issue, given that there is little practical mathematical use for distinguishing nebulae from galaxies and the fuzzyness of the scientific schools (though this may have changed by the present).

And yes, I'd love an update on the scientific situation.

You say astronomy breaks free from astrology in 1444 and rejects geocentrism. That makes perfect sense, Heliocentrism has been around for a great length of time but to prove it you need to observe Stellar Parallax which wasn't achieved in OTL until the 1838, so perhaps a few lingering die-hards and then final proof from . . . Olexsander Holonyak (I think Galicia is slavic, anyway thats a Rusyn name) in say 1703? That would put it just before the emergence of evolutionary theory and maybe add to a sense that rationalism is finally putting paid to the old order and be a touchstone for those in the church who supported evolution. Also, instead of being named Bessel's Star or Holonyak's Star I think it would have acquired the name of the patron saint of his monastery, St Helena's Star.

Olexander Holonyak (we can say that he was a Russian monk who settled in Galicia because it has the biggest telescope in eastern Europe) measures Stellar Parallax in 1703 in the monastery of St. Helena (mother of St. (Emperor) Constantine?). The star from which the parallax is measured becomes known as St. Helena's Star.

BG: can I recommend this scientific discovery for "canon" status in IE? :)

Btw, where is the monastery of St. Helena? Somewhere in the Carpathians? Readers will know by now my love for detail in this TL, so indulge me... :D

As for an updated 'scientific developments schedule' I will do as you request in the next few days IF you all go and post on CoJ telling me what technologies, discoveries and developments you think we need to have in the period c1450- 1750...

Deal? ;)

Flag for Cyprus?

Also, while I remember:

Can I make a plea for a flag of the Grand Duchy of Cyprus, within the "Isaac's Empire" world, please Rubberduck3y6? ;)

Remember that Cyprus is a semi-autonomous province of the Rhomanian Empire, with its own 'Chief Executive' (the Megas Dux), a Council and a Senate.

Cyprus has been historically famous for its copper production; but in this TL it has been the major naval base of the Eastern Mediterranean and also a powerful bastion of the Uniate Church, which owns extensive holdings in the west of the island and controls 2 of the island's 7 main cities.

PM me if you need any further information to help with a flag design... :cool:

Also, while I remember:

Can I make a plea for a flag of the Grand Duchy of Cyprus, within the "Isaac's Empire" world, please Rubberduck3y6? ;)

Remember that Cyprus is a semi-autonomous province of the Rhomanian Empire, with its own 'Chief Executive' (the Megas Dux), a Council and a Senate.

Cyprus has been historically famous for its copper production; but in this TL it has been the major naval base of the Eastern Mediterranean and also a powerful bastion of the Uniate Church, which owns extensive holdings in the west of the island and controls 2 of the island's 7 main cities.

PM me if you need any further information to help with a flag design... :cool:
I'll have a go for you. I've also remembered that I forgot to make a flag for Nyapan so I'll do that one as well.

Also thanks to everyone who's commented on the flags and to BG for my lovely land on the sunny Marmara!

Dear readers,

As a prelude to a piece which I will shortly write on the scientific developments of the "Isaac's Empire" world in the years 1400-1750, here (post #170) is a short history of the Dragon Society, which of course was a major 'scientific research body' (as things are understood ITTL) during this period.

Hope you enjoy and plenty of comments please! ;)

I admit, I haven't read everything yet :eek:. But there is one question I have. Have the Romans given up their savage practice of mutilation, such as blinding, slicing the nose, and cutting of certain parts of the body, that they did during the Midieval Age? Such cruelty from the supposed civilized East really bugs me.

I admit, I haven't read everything yet :eek:. But there is one question I have. Have the Romans given up their savage practice of mutilation, such as blinding, slicing the nose, and cutting of certain parts of the body, that they did during the Midieval Age? Such cruelty from the supposed civilized East really bugs me.

They have by the 18th century, yes. Nose and tongue slitting was mostly a seventh century thing though, it never really happened afterwards after Justinian II proved how pointless it was. Blinding continued as standard for much longer though. Where are you up to? And what's been your favourite part so far? :p

They have by the 18th century, yes. Nose and tongue slitting was mostly a seventh century thing though, it never really happened afterwards after Justinian II proved how pointless it was. Blinding continued as standard for much longer though. Where are you up to? And what's been your favourite part so far? :p

I've read early parts from 2008 and parts from this year. 2009 is still a mystery. :eek: I'm all over the place. As with any timeline, my favorite part is always the maps. I'd still like to see it as a website. I used weebly for mine (ever seen it? Or at least looked how it was organized?) and have been told it's a lot easier to read there than on the theads-- but that might have something to do with spacing between paragraphs too.

Anyway, I've been reading parts of Issac's Empire when I get the chance, and should have it all caught up by-- oh mid 2011. :D

Here's MDK's requested flag of the Grand Duchy of Cyprus within Rhomania, plus the flag of Nyapan.
iecyprusnyapan.png

All i'm saying is that while they "guarded" ;) :p the TL, i followed my Emperor and went into exile in Turkey :p

Thats loyalty for you ;):D

Good to see you back BG :)

And good update

All i'm saying is that while they "guarded" ;) :p the TL, i followed my Emperor and went into exile in Turkey :p

And good update

Hah!

Write a story on IE or CoJ or, better yet, "take over" an IE world country and tell us its history, if you dare...

Otherwise, young Grand Duke, we "guardians" are unmoved by your protestations of loyalty... :p :D

And good update

I'm going to break ranks and say that everything's fine. The old regime can't be restored through terror. But yeah, if you could adopt a country.