Is Paris Burning?

This is a complete scenario I'm laying out for you here, mainly because I think it will get more attention in this forum than in the writers' room. It's up to you to determine the POD, but the basic idea behind this is a determined German defense of Paris in the fall of 1944. I've attempted to stay as close to the historical record as possible, but naturally, as we get further away from the POD, things diverge rapidly. I've focused on Paris, almost to the exclusion of the rest of the war. There's too many divergences past a certain point, and I'm not even going to try -- though I'd welcome your comments on where you think the world is headed. I welcome any and all comments, particularly if you think I've gotten something wrong. You're probably wrong, but I'll listen anyway. :p

This is broken up into sections, and I'll be posting one per day with the exception of today, when I'll post two: one now and one before I go to bed.

Without further ado, let me present "Is Paris Burning?"

Sources:
"Is Paris Burning?" By Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre.
"World War II in Europe: The Final Year" By Charles F. Brower, Roosevelt Study Center.
"World War II: A Statistical Survey"
"A Soldier's Story," General Omar N. Bradley.

"Is Paris burning?"
"Yes, my fuhrer."

On August 7, 1944, Wehrmacht Generalleutenant Dietrich von Choltitz arrived in Rastenburg, East Prussia, site of Adolf Hitler's Wolfshanze, "Wolf's Lair." From the complex in East Prussia, the elderly former corporal of the German Army commanded millions of soldiers spread across a continent. Though the territory commanded by his armies had shrunk drastically in the last two years, Hitler still commanded most of the continent. But now, sixty miles from the front, the faint sound of guns could be heard at Rastenburg. Hitler's empire was slowly crumbling.

Even at such a late date, many in the German Army still believed in victory. Drawn by the charisma of Hitler and their belief in German superiority, they held hopes that somehow, Germany could still emerge victorious despite the encroaching Allies. Von Choltitz was one of those men, though in the last few months, his belief had begun to falter slightly. Three weeks prior to Choltitz's arrival in Rastenburg, a group of German Army generals had conspired to assassinate Hitler prior to launching a coup that would allow Germany to make an honorable peace. Though von Stauffenberg's bomb succeeded in wrecking an aboveground building in the Wolfshanze, Hitler was uninjured and the coup was foiled.

One of the most prominent generals involved in the coup attempt had been Karl Heinrich von Stulpnagel, commander of German Army forces in France. Upon Stulpnagel's arrest in the wake of the coup attempt, his subordinate, General Hans von Boineburg-Lengsfeld, in charge of the defense of Paris, came under increased scrutiny. Neither Hitler nor the top OKW generals who remained after the coup held Boineburg-Lengsfeld in high esteem. He was a rear-echelon commander, who had held sway over garrison commands almost since the fall of France in June, 1940. Both Hitler and his generals believed it was time for a new commander as Paris moved from a comfortable garrison to the penultimate front line.

Enter Dietrich von Choltitz. As a Lieutenant Colonel, he had been the first man out of the door as German paratroopers attacked Rotterdam on May 10, 1940. His forces assaulted the airbases around the city, but heavy resistance kept them from penetrating the downtown districts. Choltitz ordered a Luftwaffe air strike to attack the central portion of the city to sow panic and open an opportunity for his soldiers. Shortly before the air strike arrived, the Dutch defending the city surrendered. Choltitz failed to cancel the strike, which burned down hundreds of buildings and killed over 1,000 civilians. When asked why he didn't cancel the strike, he answered, "They resisted. It was an important lesson." The next year, Choltitz supervised the capture of Lwow in the opening days of Operation Barbarossa. When the civilian population rose against the Germans, he ordered most of the city razed. Early the next year, he supervised the capture of Sebastopol on the Black Sea, and issued orders that no special consideration was made for civilian casualties if it were to cause undue harm to Wehrmacht soldiers. As German soldiers retreated in the face of the Red Army, he was made commander of Army Group Center's scorched earth tactics. As he later confessed to a Swedish ambassador in Paris, "Since Sebastopol, it has been my fate to cover the retreat of our armies and destroy the cities behind them."

Choltitz gained a reputation as an officer who never failed to follow orders, who was a tenacious defender and attacker, and who was utterly loyal to Germany. In the wake of the July 20 coup attempt, that last characteristic was as important as any other to Hitler. Upon his arrival in Rastenburg, Choltitz was stripped of his belt, sidearm, and had all his personal belonging searched intensively by Hitler's SS guards. This was nothing special — it was the normal procedure since July 20, even for a senior general in the German Army. Choltitz was ushered into Hitler's meeting room, and the two began an in-depth discussion of the defense of Paris. "Paris," Hitler said, gesturing at a map, "is the heart of France. He who holds Paris holds France, and any general who defends the city must be as steadfast as if he were defending Berlin itself. Are you such a man?"

Choltitz answered in the affirmative, and was then subjected to two hours of lecturing by Hitler, who covered virtually everything from the creation of the Nazi Party to the recent coup attempt against him. Though Hitler's hand had been shaking and he had given the impression of an elderly man on his last legs at the start of the talk, he warmed to his subject and by the time he was finishing, he was in rare form and Choltitz felt far more confident about the state of the country than he had been when he entered. At the conclusion of Hitler's harangue, he reminded Choltitz, "You will stamp out without pity any uprising of the civilian population, any act of terrorism, or any act of sabotage against German forces. For that, Herr General" Hitler continued, "you will receive from me any support you need." With that, Choltitz was confirmed as the new commander of Gross Paris, and was entrusted with all the authority of the commander of a city under siege. Four hours later, he boarded a train heading west.

At the same time, several hundred miles to the west, General Dwight David Eisenhower was also debating the future of Paris. At the time of the discussion, American forces were only just breaking free of Normandy, thrusting south of Avranches as they executed Operation Cobra, the breakout from the Normandy beachhead, a plan that would ultimately result in the encirclement of more than 150,000 German soldiers in the Falaise Pocket. That event was almost a month in the future, but Eisenhower already had his eyes and thoughts moving eastward. In the top-secret report "Post-Neptune Operations Section II — Crossing of the Seine and the Capture of Paris", Eisenhower's plan was set forth.

After the encirclement and reduction of German forces in the Falaise Pocket, Allied forces would split into two main groups for the march eastward. Montgomery's 21st Army Group would cross the Lower Seine between the Oise River and the English Channel, capturing Le Havre and threatening the V-1 and V-2 launching sites in the Pas de Calais — the reduction of which was a political priority. Meanwhile, Bradley's 12th Army Group (containing Patton's Third Army) would strike east, crossing the Seine at Melun, south of Paris, before driving northeast to Reims. There, Bradley's forces would wheel westward to meet Montgomery's forces, which would have turned eastward at Amiens. Above all, Eisenhower wanted to keep his tanks rolling in the open terrain of central France and avoid becoming bogged down in street fighting in Paris. Eisenhower correctly believed Paris would be heavily defended by the German Army, and wanted to avoid Paris becoming a Western Stalingrad. Only when Paris was surrounded would a gradual approach into the city begin, after the Germans had been weakened by a starvation of supplies. The encirclement would also — Eisenhower believed — have the effect of avoiding undue harm to the civilian population of the city. A siege might result in a German surrender without the need for a battle, as was then taking place in Brest and Lorient.

One lesser-known consideration by Eisenhower in the decision to avoid Paris in the short term was his fear of supply drain that Paris would become in the event of its liberation. At the time of Eisenhower's decision, Cherbourg was the sole major supply port open to the Western Allies, and though the capture of Antwerp, Le Havre, Brest, and ports in southern France were forecast to alleviate any potential supply problems, the needs of Paris itself also posed a major problem. A study by Allied analysts predicted that in the event of Paris's liberation, a supply effort equivalent to that needed to supply eight divisions would be needed to keep the city functioning. At the time, Eisenhower had just 37 divisions deployed in France, and the long-term supply picture looked questionable if any additional burden — such as the liberation of Paris — was added. For the time being, Eisenhower decided, the liberation of Paris would have to wait. To effect Eisenhower's plan, SHAEF parachuted several French operatives into Paris with instructions that the Resistance was not to begin any general uprising until after the encirclement.

As we know, things did not go according to plan.

In Algiers, General Charles de Gaulle, the then-leader of Free French forces, schemed. He feared (correctly, as it turned out) that the American Department of State and the British government were maneuvering the situation in France to ensure his position would be quietly shuffled off to the side following the liberation of Paris and the establishment of a new French government. Though he is little-known today, Charles De Gaulle was perhaps the best-known French leader of the war. In the wake of the surrender of the pre-war French government in June 1940 and the establishment of Vichy, De Gaulle was the most prominent member of the French military to advocate continued resistance. Thanks to British support and that of several of France's African colonies, he gradually built a base of support and began leading the military liberation of French overseas colonies. At first, he fought against Vichy forces in central Africa. Later, Gaullist forces fought Vichyite troops in Syria during one of the bloodiest bouts of fighting in the Middle East during the Second World War. By 1944, he had become secure enough to begin thinking about the post-war situation, which he believed should be in his control. Naturally, the other Allies differed, but De Gaulle was determined that no trace of AMGOT (Allied Military Government in Occupied Territories) exist in France. Post-liberation, the French government should begin and end with him, he thought.

There were two threats to that view. First was Allied meddling, but De Gaulle felt he could control that problem through diplomacy and by using Free French elements in the Allied armies to exert influence. The second, and far more pressing problem, was the existence of the large communist element in the Resistance. At the time of the Normandy invasion, the French Resistance was composed roughly 50/50 of Free French of the Interior (FFI) and of communist fighters. The FFI was concentrated mostly in the countryside, while the communist fighters were more numerous in the cities, particularly in Paris. So concerned was De Gaulle about communists gaining influence that he ordered a halt to weapons drops around Paris on June 14, for fear that the communists were taking too many of the weapons intended for the FFI. He estimated that Paris itself contained roughly 25,000 communist Resistance members. In reality, the number was half again that total.

By early August, De Gaulle had become convinced that Paris must be liberated as soon as possible by the Allies in order that he might establish his government in Paris and forestall a potential communist-led uprising. If the Allied armies could reach Paris before a general uprising, the communists would drastically lose influence in favor of his own organized Free French soldiers. The Paris communists themselves were just as determined to dominate the post-war picture. Famously, Henri Tanguy, leader of the Paris communists and better known as "Colonel Rol," famously declared, "Paris is worth 200,000 dead."

General Choltitz arrived in Paris on August 9. During his dinner with the outgoing commander of "Gross Paris," Hans von Boineburg-Lengsfeld, he found the defenses of the city utterly inadequate. Both Boineburg-Lengsfeld and Choltitz disliked each other immediately. Choltitz believed Boineburg-Lengsfeld's plans to construct a "Boineburg Line" of defenses to the west of the city to be utterly impractical and the product of a garrison mindset, while Boineburg-Lengsfeld believed Choltitz to be a fanatical "true Nazi." Fortunately for each man, Boineburg-Lengsfeld left the city the next day. Choltitz's first action as commander was to set up his headquarters in the Hotel Meurice, just north of the Seine River and northwest of the Louvre.

On Sunday, August 13, Choltitz had his first meeting with the commander of German forces in the west, Gunther von Kluge. Kluge was busy deciphering the disaster in the Falaise Pocket and desperately trying to extract some measure of success from the catastrophe, but he still managed to spare two hours for discussion with Choltitz. He explained that the latest intelligence estimates indicated that the Allies would outflank the city. Kluge agreed that by standing and defending Paris, Choltitz would force the Allies to invest armor to dislodge him, thus aiding the whole situation in the West. Both men agreed that just three divisions would be sufficient to force the Allies into a street-by-street advance for up to a month. When Choltitz requested three divisions for the defense of the city, however, Kluge replied that all available forces were currently needed to help shore up the front, which was virtually nonexistent due to the Falaise disaster. It would take time to transfer divisions from the 19-division-strong Fifteenth Army, which was only now being freed from defending the Pas de Calais, where the German high command had expected a second Allied invasion. After a lunch in which Choltitz again tried to pry divisions free for Paris (he succeeded in acquiring only two regiments), he returned to the Hotel Meurice. Along the way, he and the rest of the population of Paris heard guns in the distance for the first time. The front was approaching.

That same day, Kluge ordered the disarmament of the French police in order to prevent them from rushing to the aid of any prospective uprising. Over 20,000 weapons were seized. In response, the police went on strike, beginning the next day. To prevent the populace from taking advantage of the police's weakness, Choltitz staged the largest German military parade since 1940 through the streets of Paris. It was to be a show of force, demonstrating to the populace that Choltitz took his job seriously and give the impression that any uprising would be dealt with harshly, regardless of any approach by the Allies. Choltitz, who had dressed in civilian clothes and mingled with the unknowing crowd in order to gain an impression of how well the demonstration worked, was sharply put off when he ran across group after group of Parisians jeering and joking about the marching Germans.

As German soldiers paraded through Paris, in Rastenburg, Hitler again went off on one of his increasingly frequent tangents. Although he had been on a "good" day when Choltitz visited, Hitler's emotional instability and weak-mindedness had grown sharply since the July 20 assassination attempt. During a briefing on the situation in France, he exploded and demanded to know where the Wehrmacht's enormous 600mm "Karl" mortar was. The mortar, which had been built for siege warfare and successfully employed at Brest-Litovsk, Sebastopol, and Stalingrad, was found after eight hours in a warehouse in Berlin. At Hitler's order, the enormous tracked mortar — a smaller cousin of the enormous "Dora" railway gun — was loaded aboard its special railcar and put on a train to Paris. Accompanying it was a trainload of the mortar's ton-and-a-half ammunition. As Hitler ranted, he explained in no uncertain terms that if the Parisians would not be cowed by the German military, they would be cowed by ton-and-a-half shells destroying Parisian city blocks one at a time. Hitler's advisers told him it would take eight days for the mortar to arrive in Paris.

In Paris, as Hitler demanded yet another tool for the destruction of the city, Colonel Rol was developing yet another tool. Meeting with the leader of the communist resistance in the striking police department, he worked out plans to ensure that the city's 20,000-strong police department would be sure to follow his commands when the inevitable time to overthrow the Germans arrived.

Mmmmm....

Up to now, I haven't spotted the PoD yet. I think you're still following OTL.

Two points, however.

+ I don't think your characterisation of De Gaulle is the right one. Even if he was thrown out of power at that point, he would be remembered. By August 44, De Gaulle was recognised as president of the GPRF ( gouvernement Provisoire de la Republique francaise ) by all the allies ( Including US and USSR ) and by the Resistance ( Including the Communists ), so he won't be called an obscure figure.
+ If I understand your plan correctly, you want the allies to follow their original plans and to go around Paris. If that's the case, you'd better find a way to neutralise Leclerc and his men. They were prepared to steal the fuel necessary and disobey orders to go help Paris ( in OTL, they had done the first and were about half a dozen hours from the later when they got the official order ).

So if von Kluge only gave Paris two regiments, what other forces are in the city?

Anyway, I'm enjoying it.

Good point. It's mentioned later on, but the garrison of Paris is approximately 15,000 men when Choltitz assumes command. This doesn't count the thousands of noncombatant administrative types who are also in the city when he arrives in Paris.

Mmmmm....

Up to now, I haven't spotted the PoD yet. I think you're still following OTL.

Two points, however.

I forgot to mention that there are approximately 30 sections, so it may take a little while to get to the sections that cover the two points you mention. But rest assured, I do address them.

The next day, August 15, General Choltitz was again summoned to von Kluge's headquarters. In the briefing, Kluge's chief of staff, Gunther Blumentritt outlined Kluge's plan for a limited scorched earth policy in Paris. The plan detailed the systematic destruction of Paris' gas plant, electric power stations, and water facilities. Blumentritt elaborated that the plan would be crucial to slowing the Allied advance by forcing the Allies to divert needed military aid to sustain the city after liberation. To Choltitz, the presentation was very dry, very professional, and completely at odds with the emotional, yet inspiring, tirade launched by Hitler in Rastenburg the week prior. It was also not surprising. In addition to Hitler's informal "suggestion" to not let the Allies capture Paris intact, Choltitz had received an order from the German high command calling for the "destruction or total paralysis" of the Paris industrial infrastructure in order to prevent it from being turned against Germany after the Allied capture of the city.

Choltitz didn't object to the plan's scope. Indeed, the destruction of Paris' infrastructure was only natural to someone who had supervised similar plans (albeit on a smaller scale) on the Eastern front. Choltitz's only objection came in regards to the timing of the plan's implementation. How, he asked, was he to defend the city if his soldiers had no water to drink? In addition, launching the plan prematurely would throw thousands of jobless factory workers into the hands of the Resistance, making Choltitz's job of maintaining order all the harder. Kluge listened to the arguments put forth by both Choltitz and his chief of staff, but decided to side with Choltitz for the time being. That did not mean that preparations could not be made, however. When Choltitz returned to the Hotel Meurice, he took four demolitions experts with him. Installed in the fourth floor of the hotel, armed with plans of every factory in the region, and given two staff cars for transportation, they promised Choltitz they could come up with a plan to "paralyze Paris' industry for more than six months."

Even as the demolitions experts began drafting their plans in the Hotel Meurice, the men of the 813th Engineer Company were busy mining the 45 Seine River bridges between the suburbs of Le Pecq in the west to Choisy in the east. Their destruction would be almost as large an architectural catastrophe as the demolition of the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe. The pont Alexandre III was a national monument; the pont de la Concorde contained stones from the Bastille, demolished during the French Revolution; and portions of the pont de la Tournelle dated to 1369. Regardless of their historical or economic significance — they tied the two halves of Paris together — all were being mined for demolition by the men of the 813th Engineer Company. The head of the company, Captain Werner Ebernach, was a longtime acquaintance of General Choltitz. Together, they had served in Germany prior to the outbreak of war. Now, they would be working to bring the war to its bitter end.

As Ebernach delivered his report on the bridge mining to Choltitz, the general received two disturbing reports. The first dealt with the ongoing police strike. The second indicated that eight German soldiers had been killed in the suburb of Aubervillers. It was the Resistance's first major strike against the occupiers of Paris, and it was no doubt generated by the worsening conditions for Paris' civilian population. Even with the front lines more than fifty miles away, Paris was already suffering shortages that went above and beyond the normal wartime rationing. Meat had virtually disappeared from the city, and newspapers carried recipes for making turnips and radishes — the staples of the civilian diet — more palatable. In a small notice at the bottom of the shrinking newspapers — paper shortages were beginning to bite even harder — there was an advertisement for the newspapers' most popular use — rolling cigarettes.

Sources:
"Is Paris Burning?" By Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre.
"World War II in Europe: The Final Year" By Charles F. Brower, Roosevelt Study Center.
"World War II: A Statistical Survey"
"A Soldier's Story," General Omar N. Bradley.

"Is Paris burning?"
"Yes, my fuhrer."

Seems like you forgot to quote me as a source, since I posted this a couple of month ago in the "famous quotes...." thread:p

Interesting scenario you are working on!:)
On a neutral note, if the Allies bypass Paris, they can perhaps reach Berlin faster, but at the political cost of angering the French for not liberating their capital.
Choltitz's destruction of Paris landmarks could also mean a more harsh response against the third Reich or its leaders, and even slow the normalization of relations between France and Germany.
A stronger version of an alternate Marshall Plan might be necessary to help France recover.
Is the POD 17 August 1944, where ITTL, Pierre Taittinger doesn't convince Von Choltitz not to destroy Paris?

Is the POD 17 August 1944, where ITTL, Pierre Taittinger doesn't convince Von Choltitz not to destroy Paris?

I might as well spill it here, since it's really small. The POD is that Hitler is active, awake, and not suffering the effects of his Parkinson's Disease as badly when Choltitz comes to visit. The sources made it pretty clear that Cholttiz's faith in Hitler was badly shaken by the man's appearance and lack of lucidity when he visited Rastenburg. There's also another, larger POD a bit later, but depending on your point of view, you might wave it off as the butterfly effect.

On August 16, Choltitz ordered the evacuation of all non-essential German soldiers from the city. A vast column soon developed leading out of the city to the east, containing tens of thousands of garrison clerks, troops on leave, political workers, and German civilians. Thousands of French collaborators, seeing the way the wind was blowing, also decided to leave. Just as many stayed, however, believing the promises that "we will be back by Christmas." Those who stayed soon had cause to regret their decision. Still, the exodus was not as vast as it might have been. General Choltitz took the opportunity to create several scratch companies from the more capable soldiers planning to depart. Over their objections, cooks, clerks, aides, and other men who hadn't fired a weapon in all their years of service were handed a rifle and began drilling under the harsh eyes of the SS brigade in the capital, which Choltitz had assigned the task — partly to keep them out of the way. Even to someone who still believed Hitler's message with only a shadow of a doubt, the fanaticism of the SS and SD was frightening.

That same morning, as Choltitz gave orders to create the scratch companies, Captain Ebernach made a discovery that would allow for the demolition of most of Paris' pre-war landmarks. In a blocked-off automobile tunnel in the suburb of Saint-Cloud, Ebernach discovered a massive factory, codenamed Pliz, that even at that late date, was turning out torpedoes for the Kriegsmarine's submarines. Though the sea war had largely died down after the U-boat losses of 1943, the factory had kept on turning out torpedoes. When Allied aerial attack severed the rail lines between Paris and the U-boat pens along the coast, the factory workers merely began stockpiling their finished product in the tunnel alongside their underground assembly line. By the time Ebernach arrived, over 500 torpedoes were stacked neatly in the tunnel. They were stored fully assembled in their metal racks, only requiring the insertion of detonators (kept handily nearby) to be complete. As Ebernach toured the factory, he remarked, "My God! With these torpedoes, we could blow up half the bridges in the world!" Ebernach officially claimed the torpedoes in Choltitz's name, and hurried back to the Hotel Meurice.

In the afternoon, Choltitz took Ebernach's news of the find in stride. He was busy formulating a defense plan for the city, which he outlined to his assembled staff. The initial plan was an ambitious one. Discarding the 10-mile-long "Boineburg Line", he drew a 60-mile-long arc beginning at the town of Poissy on the Seine, south through St.-Cyr, Palaiseau, east to Vilenevue-le-Roi, and north to Ormesson-sur-Marne. To defend this enormous distance, he had just the 10,000 men of Lt. Colonel Hubertus von Aulock. To bolster that strength, Choltitz ordered Paris' dozens of 88mm Flak guns taken down from their air defense positions in the city and emplaced along the line. That move had been suggested by the commander of the 11th Paratrooper Regiment, which was part of the defenses of the city. In addition, Choltitz informed the men present that he had been promised reinforcements by both Kluge and the Fuhrer himself. All went away from the meeting with much to do and little time in which to accomplish it before the Allies arrived.

The civilian situation continued to deteriorate rapidly. Postal workers joined the police strike, paralyzing mail service and communications (the postal service was also in charge of the telephone exchanges). Although German forces quickly took over the telephone exchanges, mail services would not be restored to the surviving portions of the city until just before Christmas. The Resistance was dealt a setback when 35 resistance members were captured by the Gestapo in the Bois de Boulogne, a park on the west side of the city. All 35 men were executed on the spot by machinegun fire and grenades. There is some question as to whether Choltitz himself ordered the execution. Due to his later death and the destruction of most records during the fighting for the city, it is unlikely whether a command link will ever be discovered. Regardless of who ordered the executions, they nonetheless marked the first shots fired in the open war between German soldiers and the Paris resistance. Though the deaths of the 35 pale in comparison to later atrocities, the site of their deaths is today marked by an enormous monument commemorating the tens of thousands of Resistance deaths suffered during the liberation of the city.

On the morning of the 17th, General Alfred Jodl, Hitler's closest military adviser, telephoned General Choltitz, asking if the demolitions ordered in the city of Paris had begun. Taken somewhat aback, Choltitz replied that the demolitions experts had only just arrived in the city and that he was reluctant to begin actual demolitions until such time as they would not adversely affect his troops defending the city. "I was ordered to defend the city first, and destroy it only if necessary," Choltitz said. Jodl replied that he was "extremely disappointed" and that "the Fuhrer is growing impatient." Choltitz replied by saying that the beginnings of demolitions would "set the city up in arms," and that he was waiting for further reinforcements before beginning the task. He concluded by saying that thus far, "the Parisians haven't dared to move."

In Algiers, one particular Frenchman was planning to move. General Charles De Gaulle, having been fully informed of Eisenhower's plan to bypass Paris, made up his mind to transfer his command and government to France immediately. By arriving on French soil as soon as possible, he would be able to force Eisenhower's hand, even if it meant something as drastic as ordering the French Second Armored Division to advance on Paris alone and liberate it in the name of his government. His mind made up, the leader of the Free French began making plans for the move to France. Resistance leaders in and around Paris received radioed orders to be ready for a very important visitor in the immediate future.

German soldiers across the city began to emplace demolition charges. From the Palais du Luxembourg, where SS men worked to mine the basement of the palace, to the Chamber of Deputies and the Quai d'Orsay (home of the French Foreign Office), German soldiers maneuvered boxes of explosives, unrolled spools of wire, and connected blasting caps to batteries. At 19 Avenue d'Ivry, the Panhard factory turning out parts for V-2 rockets was mined. The giant Siemens-Westinghouse electronics complex in Fontainebleau and other sites around the city suffered the same fate. On the Rue Saint-Amande, the 112th Signal Regiment wired Paris' central telephone office for demolition. Since June 1940, the office's trunk lines and teletypes had directed German operations from Norway to the Spanish border as well as handling domestic traffic within the city. The city's second telephone center, under Napoleon's Tomb at Les Invalides, was also wired for demolition.

But for all the preparations, the man who would order the switches pressed, General Choltitz, had not yet decided when the dire minute would arrive. Until the population of Paris rose against the occupiers, as he knew it would any day now (the rising tide of Resistance actions pointed that way), he would give the general population of the city reason to join the Resistance. In addition, the four demolitions experts were still busy developing plans for the destruction of other factories around the city. As charges were emplaced at the Palais du Luxembourg, the experts visited the Renault auto works, the Bleriot aircraft factory, and four other factories. Though no units were yet available to begin placing charges, the experts' blueprints were becoming marked with red Xs where explosives were to be placed. As soon as the first round of charges was set, those factories would be taken care of.

Choltitz was also busy with other tasks during the day. Swedish Consul-General Raoul Nordling had been pestering Choltitz for a meeting for several days. After hearing Nordling's offer to be an intermediary for a potential prisoner exchange between the Allies and Germany, Choltitz rejected the idea out of hand. He had no interest in releasing the three thousand political prisoners in Paris jails, not when the Resistance was threatening an uprising and when Hitler had been so determined to defend the city. His job would be difficult enough without an additional three thousand guns against him. Nordling did extract a promise from Choltitz that he would not issue the order for prisoner executions in the event of an uprising. That did not, of course, mean SS soldiers couldn't act outside Choltitz's orders.

After Nordling was escorted out, Pierre Charles Taittinger, the Vichy mayor of Paris, was escorted in. Taittinger had heard of Choltitz's plan to demolish much of the city in preparation for its defense, and was stunned. This man, he thought, was preparing to destroy Paris as if it were just another village in the Ukraine. Choltitz believed Taittinger had Resistance connections, and wanted to impress into the man a fear of German authority. He pointed at a scale map of the city. "Suppose a bullet is fired at one of my soldiers, here on the avenue de l'Opera. I would burn down every building in the block and shoot all the inhabitants." Taittinger was shocked, but the emotion with which Choltitz had pronounced the words caused a coughing fit in the dry air. Seizing the opportunity, Taittinger escorted the general to a window overlooking the Tuileries. "Often," Taittinger said, "it is given to a general to destroy, rarely to preserve. Imagine that one day it may be given to you to stand on this balcony again, as a tourist, to look once more on these monuments and remember that you preserved them as a gift for all humanity." For a moment, Choltitz stood, taking in the view of the Louvre, the green gardens, and the place de la Concorde. He then turned to Taittinger. "You are a good advocate for Paris, Mr. Taittinger," he said. "You have done your duty well. And likewise I, as a German general, must do mine." He then turned and went back to planning the destruction of the city.

Less than one hour after resuming work, Choltitz was interrupted yet again. This time, it was the new commander of the Western front, Walther Model. As it turned out, shortly after his meeting with Choltitz on the 15th, von Kluge had been recalled to Berlin after a connection was found between him and the July 20 plotters. Little more than 12 hours later, he was dead, having committed suicide. Field Marshal Walther Model, former commander of the Ukrainian front, was picked to replace him. Choltitz saw Model as a devoted Nazi, but a man of unbending will and great personal courage. Despite these characteristics, Choltitz believed Model to possess poor judgment and thought him a poor commander. Nevertheless, this would turn out to be in Choltitz's advantage, as Model later sent reinforcements to Paris long after they should have been sent to defending other portions of France. That began on this, the first day of Model's command, when he detached a retreating regiment of the Fifteenth Army, which was hurriedly rushing eastward from its former position in the Pas de Calais.

Model spent most of his short initial meeting with Paris berating what he saw as a "disorganized" front, pointing out the long column of fleeing German noncombatants he had seen on the drive from Metz to Paris. Choltitz responded by laying out his plans for the city, including his intention to begin demolitions if and when the Resistance rose against German forces. This included his imagined (but not until then formulated) plan to use Parisian landmarks as hostages against the good behavior of the Resistance. Just as individual hostages had been taken in response to partisan attacks on the Eastern front, so too would hostages on a far grander scale be taken in Paris. Model gave his approval to the plan. "Believe me, Choltitz," he added, "what took us forty minutes in Kovel will take us forty hours in Paris. But when we are finished, this city will be destroyed."

At the same time, in another portion of the city, the demolition was already being completed. But not a demolition of structures — the demolition of human beings. As Model spoke, 1,482 Jewish citizens of Paris, emblazoned with yellow Star of David patches, were loaded in trains heading east, to concentration camps in Germany. Accompanying them were the SS guards who had maintained the Parisian prisons of the Final Solution in Paris. Considered noncombatants by the Wehrmacht, the SS commander of the prison only had to remove the final Jews from the city to balance his books. Also aboard the train were approximately 1,200 French political prisoners, crammed into every space imaginable in boxcars originally designed to hold horses. The train effectively emptied the Paris prisons, except for a few dozen criminals, who would later be executed during the Resistance uprising.

Ironically, the prisoners aboard the train fared far better than the average citizen of Paris. Near Nancy, the train was intercepted by a local Resistance cell that had failed to stop a similar train just three days prior. Warned by contacts in Paris, they were able to get into position and free the captives before melting into the local populace. They only had to hide for approximately three weeks before advancing Allied troops liberated the area.

As night fell in Paris, Pierre Laval, first and only prime minister of Vichy France, prepared to flee the Hotel de Matignon, the palace that served as "Government House" to the pre-war government. Laval himself was as much of a refugee as any in the city — he had occupied the palace since the Vichy government's independence had been dissolved by the Germans in November 1942. Since that time, he had governed as a figurehead, a mere cat's paw for the German authorities. On the night of the 18th, he left France forever, only returning during his perfunctory trial prior to his execution at the hands of the French government.

The story of the Hotel de Matignon can perhaps be taken as a metaphor for the story of Paris during the Liberation. After Pierre Étienne Flandin used it as his residence in 1935, it had been seized by a German officer during June 1940. In November, 1942, Laval used it as his residence until his flight. During the uprising, Resistance leader Yvon Morandat seized the building in the name of Charles De Gaulle. When De Gaulle failed to arrive in the city, the building was burnt to the ground as the Germans restored order. When the Allies entered the city, its ruins proved an excellent killing trap for German soldiers hunting Americans. Following the Liberation, the site was bulldozed and later served as grounds for a block of prefabricated concrete communal apartments constructed by the government. Today, following the collapse of the communist government, the site is home to one of Paris' largest shopping malls.

A question : Why is De Gaulles letting the Resistance ( and so the Allies ) know he intends to come to Paris soon? IOTL, he had to hide from the US the very fact he was going to France. What has changed here? And why does he think the US won't oppose this ITTL?

From the sources I have, he didn't have to hide the fact that he was coming to France, just the fact that he was planning to stay. SHAEF thought that he was just going to Normandy to make a perfunctory visit, then turn around and fly to London.

Following the Liberation, the site was bulldozed and later served as grounds for a block of prefabricated concrete communal apartments constructed by the government. Today, following the collapse of the communist government, the site is home to one of Paris' largest shopping malls.
Wo-ho. Things will be getting very interesting postwar, i take it?