Is it Possible for a Scottish Empire?

Having the Treaty of Suza not return Nova Scotia to France is a nice start.

But you'd really need the Scots to accept that the Stuarts had been overthrown and weren't coming back for their Empire to really thrive. It's a recurring theme that William III(II) kept opposing Scottish expansion. He prevented Scottish immigration to East New Jersey, and then with the Darien scheme he prevented the Scottish from gaining foreign investment and refused to assist the colony from Jamaica and protect it from the Spanish.

The real problem with this challenge is that for a Scottish Empire to exist and progress, they need to consistently ally themselves with the British and basically become complimentary to the British. Nova Scotia will get surrounded by the British, and if the Scots don't give the British a large degree of control, the British will simply annex it like they did the New Netherlands colony. Same for the East New Jersey colony. Meanwhile the Panama colony needs the British protection or it will fall to the Spanish.

Basically, the more successful a Scottish Empire is, the less independent it will be.

Maybe if the British Empire sort of runs as empires in a personal union? Scotland and England establish Scottish and English colonies which are both part of the British Empire?

Maybe if the British Empire sort of runs as empires in a personal union? Scotland and England establish Scottish and English colonies which are both part of the British Empire?

If that were to happen, you might see Irish colonies as well.

But I have a hard time seeing the British Isles not unifying in some manner, or at least Great Britain. If they're cooperating in most regards then it'd just be more efficient to merge the two countries together. You'd need something that would make it difficult to unify but still easy to get along.

Perhaps if you go the opposite route and have Scotland totally independent of England (no English Monarch on the Scottish Throne) but still pretty friendly?

Thande

Donor
That's interesting.....I'm sure there must be many such communities around the world with a somewhat direct connection with the motherland. I know there used to be a sizeable Welsh community in Buenos Aires.

There still is a Welsh community in Patagonia that retains a fair amount of Welsh culture.

Maybe if part of Australia was delineated early on specifically as a Scottish colonial enterprise? After all, there were plenty of Scots in government in the early 19th century.

Is it wrong that I imagine southern OTL Chile and Argentina ( patagonia basically) as an ATL Nova Scotia and the Falklands as the New Hebrides? Just seems kinda cool to me. It could thrive massively off of the whaling industry, agriculture, cattle and sheep. With a massive influx of Irish and Welsh in the late 19th century ( instead of the massive influx of Irish going to the USA as in OTL ) it could have a modern day population of maybe 25 - 35 million. I kind of imagine it as a southern hemisphere equivilent of Canada :D

Is it wrong that I imagine southern OTL Chile and Argentina ( patagonia basically) as an ATL Nova Scotia and the Falklands as the New Hebrides? Just seems kinda cool to me. It could thrive massively off of the whaling industry, agriculture, cattle and sheep. With a massive influx of Irish and Welsh in the late 19th century ( instead of the massive influx of Irish going to the USA as in OTL ) it could have a modern day population of maybe 25 - 35 million. I kind of imagine it as a southern hemisphere equivilent of Canada :D

Quite a common theme on this forum, actually. Not totally implausible, either. The population is off, though. It would need a massive immigration boom to get a population of 25m. Remember if you will that Argentina IRL has a population of 40m, Chile 15m, and Patagonia itself maybe 2m if you're being kind. There's plenty of land, yes, but no massive prospects of a glorious new life that the USA had, and with the USA as a rival its recruits are going to be a trickle at best. You might get a population of 5-8m under the right circumstances, but 25m...I don't think so.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can show up and explain why the disastrous Darien project could never have worked or what have you.

With pleasure. The problem with the Darien Scheme, and the Scottish ambitions of empire, was that Scotland was a pitifully poor country and like most countries was trying to build an empire by trial and error. Please excuse the comment on Scottish poverty, by the way. I'm not just being a bigoted Englishman, I actually have a lot of respect for the various countries of the UK, but it's true. A lot of very preeminent historians have written of Scotland as "the poorest country in Europe". Frankly, it had a problem with the vast majority of its country being unfarmable and the rest lacking a lot of the kind of natural resources that meant it had no export sector to go off. It could just about support itself, but it had no real means of creating a lot of outbound trade. That's just the naked fact. Thus, Scotland had one shot at an empire. If the Darien Scheme went wrong, the hopes of empire were over. In fact, I'll go further. The Darien Scheme was like that mission in the film Deep Impact. Massively expensive, a huge gamble, and the prospects of it going wrong were about as bad as if they didn't bother trying to save themselves in the first place. The Darien Scheme cost £20,000 old money - probably the equivalent of about £200m in today's reckoning. The thing was, according to the best sources on this scheme, if you added up all the money in Scotland in 1706, it totalled about £100,000. The Darien Scheme cost 1/5 of all the money in Scotland. Again, I'm not being sarcastic here. This is the currently-held line according to research. The fact that Scotland offered itself to England as a result of the Darien Scheme going south should be proof enough.

So we've set up the notion that Scotland had one shot at this. Now let's look at why the Scheme was destined to fail. For a start, there's the ambition. Scotland needed money, not a place to settle. From the start, the venture was based around the need to generate trade which could be converted into cold hard cash travelling home. Scotland couldn't really expect to go out and settle a place where it could mind gold or silver - those plots were taken, frankly. So it had to trade for cash. So how can they trade? Well, they can try to make money by acting as middlemen in the trade of other nations. There's a problem here, however. The Scots had, as I recall...five ships (for the Darien Scheme, anyway). That's not going to dominate any markets any time soon, at best it's going to raise a little bit of cash to buy one or two patrons at home a bigger house. Hardly the kind of stuff which will even pay off that £20,000 debt incurred. There's another problem - the Spanish have a monopoly on trade with their empire, which means that you get arrested if you so much as dock in a Spanish port. For that matter, the Portuguese do too, except to the other naval nations (England, France, Netherlands) who have each forced the Portuguese to accept their merchants. The Scots don't exactly have the power to force this little concession for themselves. The French are unlikely to accept Scottish traders when England is hostile, and their tariffs are high. If you agree to pay French tariffs, you've lost all your profits there and then. Tariffs could be ridiculously high, so as to ensure that French trade stayed French and the empire kept running on its income. Oh, and English tariffs are very high if you aren't English, too. Then there's the Dutch, who frankly don't hold any very interesting land unless you're willing to make a nine month journey each way to get to the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) so that's kind of a no-go. What this means is the Scots have no prospect of trading with other colonies.

So they're essentially left with one option: make their own colony and get people to trade with them. Now, reputations can't be bought, only made, so they have to expect to show that their colony is producing items before they can expect the money to come their way. This means self-sufficiency, which means finding a way of internally generating profit for at least a couple of years. Again, there's a problem here. The places they can go are limited. Africa is a big problem because of the disease right now, and all of the good spots are taken. African colonies shouldn't be expected to last if you can't pump the money in to make them last. You could try India and the Orient, but most of that is either taken, or somewhat inhospitable. It's also very far away, and thus would cause problems in both resupply and in the travel time. Australia is barely even known about right now, and is even further away. South America is possible, but the Portuguese and Spanish are well-entrenched there and have taken over all the good spots. North America is prime land, but the English and French are even better at protecting their land from intruders. The weak spot is the Spanish colonies - a lot of them are underfunded and under-protected. Central America, to be specific. The English have already shown several times that the Spanish take a long time to respond to threats in Central America, and even in 1706 people know how useful it would be to be able to trade right across the thinnest part of Panama, for the Atlantic-Pacific trade. The Caribbean islands are too small and too colonised for you to possibly stay undetected there.

So let's go for Panama. Now, we're hampered somewhat now by our choice of location. It's very hot, isn't great land for crop cultivation (grain, at least) and is inhabited by numerous tribes. That may not be a bad thing, so the colonists will struggle to grow their own food quickly, which is a must-have for continued colonial existence, but they can buy food by trading with the natives. But to trade with the natives you need either money, or something to trade. The Scots don't have money left, so now we've got our colony all planned out except for one detail: we need to find something Scotland can make in large quantities, ship over easily, and trade with the natives. Now, quantities shouldn't need to be monolithic because the tribesmen are known to often put ludicrously high values on items they want but don't have. I believe I recall reading that Raleigh, back in the 1580s, was offered 60 pelts, a vast quantity of meat and something else in abundance for a single breastplate. And this breastplate wasn't to be worn in battle, the natives he traded with didn't really even know its military value. It was just to be an ornament for the chief, and it fetched a ridiculous price. So what can the Scots offer. Well, they blacksmiths back home, but they don't really have a surplus they can ship out. They don't really have food surpluses, so agriculture is out. In reality, the Scots shipped out the items that they really made a lot of. Those were - wigs and shoes. I am not making this up. Wigs and shoes were what the Scottish economy could really pump out.

So we've got our Scottish colony, we've found the location, we know how it's going to operate. We now just need it to provide revenue for itself while it sets itself up, and it needs to be able to make defenses for itself within about 24 months. Any longer and the Spanish will be in to turf them out. There really is a pressing need for this colony to make money quickly for this reason. So what happened? It's simple. The natives didn't want shoes or wigs. They had no purpose for them. The natives refused to buy a single item. Consequently, the Scots had no money for resupply, and couldn't keep the Darien Scheme going. If they'd asked for more supplies, no matter the intent of the home Scots, Scotland had no more money to send them. As soon as the Darien Scheme ran out of food, the idea was over, and £20,000 had been lost. At that point, Scotland became so financially ruined that it needed a union with England. From this point on, Scottish Empire is impossible.

Fletch

Kicked
Falastur, don't forget bibles! It was hoped that they could exchange these with the natives in exchange for support and at the same time converting them. Whilst they gained support from the natives it was of no consequence as the situation crumbled around them.

As to the location, it wasn't as mad a proposition in theory at the time. The East India Company, which harbours quite a bit of the responsibility for the failure of the colony also was considering it when the Scots went for it. They recorded in their files that it would be an ideal location for a highway fromn the Atlantic to Pacific with sugar plantations in between.

This was based on William Patersons journeys there, but unfortunately it was seasonal and the Scots went during the wrong season. This meant high levels of malaria and was one of the main reasons for the failure.

King William, in his role as King of Scotland backed the Darien Scheme, but influenced by the EIC, as King of England he opposed it. The EIC also managed to bar English nationals from investing in the Scottish Company, they were also succesful in Holland and Germany, they also managed to bar the English colonials trading with the Scots. This limited the investment and prospects of the Scottish company. They could potentially have had around three times the capital they raised in OTL in the share issue and trade with the 13 colonies.

The Spanish were also culpable as it was confirmed before that they never claimed the land the colony stood on, but when the Scots arrived they changed their position as any other European power was seen as a threat.

The fact that the forces reigned in against them were so great, they were doomed to failure.

Indeed, the Spanish moved quickly in the fear that within a few months, the Scottish Colony would be too large to drive out. This was sensible as if the second wave of colonists had arrived before the Spanish, the Spaniards would have been facing thousands of Scots as opposed to hundreds.

Better planning and a lack of opposition from the EIC may well have seen the Scots company with three times the level of investment of OTL in it, trade with the English American colonies and a success, but this was always going to be unlikely.

They probably would have done better colonizing a small patch of west Africa and traded slaves rather than the route to the pacific dream they followed. It probably would have succeeded and meant Scotland ends up in a similar position to Belgium colonially iOTL, except starting earlier.

Falastur, don't forget bibles! It was hoped that they could exchange these with the natives in exchange for support and at the same time converting them. Whilst they gained support from the natives it was of no consequence as the situation crumbled around them.

They probably would have done better colonizing a small patch of west Africa and traded slaves rather than the route to the pacific dream they followed. It probably would have succeeded and meant Scotland ends up in a similar position to Belgium colonially iOTL, except starting earlier.

Touche on the Bibles point. On the second point though, I disagree. I don't think the Scots had the financial capital to support an African settlement. African settlements frankly did not become profitable very fast as they needed a lot of food supplies and had a troublingly high turnover of people through deaths to disease. I'm not sure Scotland could support that prospect.

Fletch

Kicked
Touche on the Bibles point. On the second point though, I disagree. I don't think the Scots had the financial capital to support an African settlement. African settlements frankly did not become profitable very fast as they needed a lot of food supplies and had a troublingly high turnover of people through deaths to disease. I'm not sure Scotland could support that prospect.
It all really hinges on stopping the EIC from extending its influence to an extent. The Scots Company had £500,000 invested in London which was then taken away by Westminster influenced by the EIC. They also managed to stop investment from the continent. In otl, the Scots Company was seen as a deadly threat, doubly so due to the fact that it was claiming a colony the EIC had already been considering. Had they gone elsewhere and consiously attempted to avoid stepping on the toes of the EIC, the investment may have stood. Had this happened, the colony would, IMHO have been viable.

Of course, it would not have been as romantic as the vision Paterson had of Scotland controlling access to the Pacific, or, as you say as quick, but it would have had more chance.

How about an earlier cultural change in how education is viewed, in OTL it happened in the first half of the 1600s, and by the end of the century the country was far ahead of everyone other country in the world. That's why Scotsman are so important in history, why so many inventions were made by Scots, because they were taught how to read, so they could learn more themselves. So, with a more educated workforce, they could make better use of their natural resources, but since capital is still needed, how about working abroad?

In OTL the British Empire got the most of them, but if Scotland was still independant, then all of Europe could be bidding for Scottish expertise. If they returned back to Scotland, with all the capital they earned and invested in into a more effective Scottish colonial company...

Just an idea, but education was the main resource Scotland had compared to other countries.

How about an earlier cultural change in how education is viewed, in OTL it happened in the first half of the 1600s, and by the end of the century the country was far ahead of everyone other country in the world. That's why Scotsman are so important in history, why so many inventions were made by Scots, because they were taught how to read, so they could learn more themselves. So, with a more educated workforce, they could make better use of their natural resources, but since capital is still needed, how about working abroad?

In OTL the British Empire got the most of them, but if Scotland was still independant, then all of Europe could be bidding for Scottish expertise. If they returned back to Scotland, with all the capital they earned and invested in into a more effective Scottish colonial company...

Just an idea, but education was the main resource Scotland had compared to other countries.

Indeed. Thanks to the glorious Scottish colonial educational export industry I was subjected to the following trials during university:

1. Porridge wrestling (actually I just watched, but it was horrible)
2. Bagpipes
3. Haggis ceremonies (I have decided I like Haggis but dislike Robbie Burns)
4. Robbie Burns
5. Whisky
6. Scots Gaelic

Possible, but remember it's give and take. Yes, the education system may have contributed to the high number of Scottish inventors, but if Scotland had stayed independent, it wouldn't have become a leading economy just because in future it would host some top men. Scotland was very poor and that meant that a lot of the things the Scots needed to work with wouldn't really be there, leading to a cultural exodus. For instance, those later men who discovered electrical appliances, such as Alexander Graham Bell and his telephone, etc, would probably be hard pressed to have the environment to do so in Scotland. A lot of Scottish inventors moved to either England or the USA to facilitate their inventions. In a world with an independent Scotland, this may lead to several of the Scots not having the start they need to give them a name, which could cut a little drier the supposed veritable fountain of talent.

In addition, countries wouldn't exactly bid for the individuals, and certainly none of that money would make its way back to Scotland when they did lure them away. When institutions did try to bribe people into joining them, it was generally in the form of pensions and funding for the person in question, from a company or sponsor who wanted the individual. Scotland may be recognised as a great source of intelligentsia, but it's likely to become a modern-day Poland - a country with a reputation for sending large portions of its workforce to another country because there's nothing back home. Indeed, the lack of a union with England may well make this worse. While Scottish inventors may have returned home or even used foreign money to fund home-run experiments in the RL world where just across the border was still a fellow country, in a world with an independent Scotland, Scottish inventors are likely to leave quickly for the better funding and never return due to the exorbitant duties involved in cross-border travel between foreign countries, and the negative backlashes experienced when trying to take money a foreign institution thinks it has "bought" you with back home - they generally want you to emigrate for life so they can call you theirs. It may not work out for Scotland very well...

Fletch

Kicked
You have to look at the reasons for the exedus in otl before stating that one would certainly happen in a tl where Scotland was fully independent.

One thing that annoys me about contemporary historians is that in general, they paint a picture of Scotland which was permenantly in poverty and leaking people until the union of the Parliaments. IMHO, this is a mid 16th c. and 17th c. thing and there were two big reasons for it.

The first one was the reformation. Scotland becoming protestant, whilst generally a good thing, harmed Scottish trade as it cut her off from the traditional Scottish trading partners in Europe, particularly with France. Scottish trade suffered hugely as a result.

Before the reformation, if you want an example, Scots salt and wool were sold in great measure in France and the Low Countries where the Scots recieved special trading privileges, an example of which lasts today in a museum in Bruges, where the Scots Huis, where Scottish trade centred from still exists. Also, Scotland imported more French wine than any other country. I believe on the birth of Mary I, the fountains of Linlithgow Palace ran with Claret in celebration.

In 1603, when James VI became James I of England, he moved south taking his privy council with him. The monarch had power to control foreign affairs and as a consequence of the union of the crowns, English relations took precedence. Real power moved to London and Scots with ambitions of power moved south.

Throughout the 17th c. the combination of Scotlands historical trading partners being taken away and the centre of political gravity moving to London ensured the nation declined in every sense. This was realised by the Scottish Parliament and by the time of the union the only options through which Scotland could flourish would be either total independence or a proper union with England so Scotland could trade freely with England and the colonies. Both would have done their job.

Had the union of the crowns never happened, or ended in 1714, a very different history would have occured.

Say just for talking sake, it ended in 1714, and somehow, I would guess by some treaty of total neutrality, England does not stop trade with Scotland. The centre of political gravity would have moved back to Edinburgh.

The education acts of the pre-union parliament were a direct cause of the Scottish Enlightenment, so I believe that it would still have happened, ensuring Scotland would have done better throughout the 18th c. with a proper voice being restored to the Kingdom.

If you want more info, I ask you to look into the works of Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun, who wrote of Scotlands decline. Indeed, it was one of the reasons several within the Scottish Parliament voted for union.

Cheers Falastur, really informative post!

edit: Singling out Falastur here because my query was responded to in post 26. I'm learning a lot here generally.

Last edited: