Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

It’s thread marked twice in this thread!
Boiling down the two threadmarks. Elected in 2004, re-elected in 2008 , and since the Democrats proposed the articles of impeachment in 2010, I'm presuming he was a Liberal.
I wanted to have what he was impeached over be Spygate, but then realized that the "water gate" that was the ultimate end of the C&O Canal (at Rock Creek) is far more likely to be part of a Necropolis than a hotel/office complex that a Political party would have as their headquarters. And a canal parallel to the Delaware river doesn't have to any farther downstream than Trenton, New Jersey where the Delaware becomes navigable...

Boiling down the two threadmarks. Elected in 2004, re-elected in 2008 , and since the Democrats proposed the articles of impeachment in 2010, I'm presuming he was a Liberal.
I wanted to have what he was impeached over be Spygate, but then realized that the "water gate" that was the ultimate end of the C&O Canal (at Rock Creek) is far more likely to be part of a Necropolis than a hotel/office complex that a Political party would have as their headquarters. And a canal parallel to the Delaware river doesn't have to any farther downstream than Trenton, New Jersey where the Delaware becomes navigable...
Cant really swing the “-gate” suffix in any TL with a pre-1968 POD, really

It’s thread marked twice in this thread!
You are actually right, it's mentioned in the US-Quebec free trade agreement wikibox, it just didn't really click at the time because I am decidedly not a sports person. No idea why it did click today, actually. It's not like I've heard Goodell mentioned in any context outside this recently (hell, I think I've never heard of him outside the Internet, period).

You are actually right, it's mentioned in the US-Quebec free trade agreement wikibox, it just didn't really click at the time because I am decidedly not a sports person. No idea why it did click today, actually. It's not like I've heard Goodell mentioned in any context outside this recently (hell, I think I've never heard of him outside the Internet, period).
Consider yourself lucky considering how much most NFL fans despise the man

Consider yourself lucky considering how much most NFL fans despise the man
Now that I kind of know what's gonna go down ITTL's 2012 presidential election... jeez, that'll be one hell of an election (it's looking like it might kind of be sort of like OTL's 1976 - Schweitzer comes in as an outsider governor (though we don't what he is before 2012 - he could be a senator instead, given he ran for Senate in 2000 IOTL) like Carter, while the Lib candidate is unclear but if they avoided getting caught in Goodell's scandals, or were Forded in after a predecessor got the can a la Agnew, it could be Goodell's VP filling the role of Ford (with Goodell as Nixon, obviously). How much closer or farther than Ford they get, that's the question. Although it could be a very fun way to reference BCM. Of course the Libs can just throw whoever is Goodell's doomed successor is in the trash and try to beat Schweitzer with some other candidate).
Rest assured in however many years we get there I'll be heartily reading it.
Plus it's Brian Schweitzer, who is def a Democrat, who was elected in 2012, which makes it even more likely that Goodell was a Lib, and I think Goodell's would-be predecessor (I can't remember the name right now) was implied or stated to be a Democrat too.

Now that I kind of know what's gonna go down ITTL's 2012 presidential election... jeez, that'll be one hell of an election (it's looking like it might kind of be sort of like OTL's 1976 - Schweitzer comes in as an outsider governor (though we don't what he is before 2012 - he could be a senator instead, given he ran for Senate in 2000 IOTL) like Carter, while the Lib candidate is unclear but if they avoided getting caught in Goodell's scandals, or were Forded in after a predecessor got the can a la Agnew, it could be Goodell's VP filling the role of Ford (with Goodell as Nixon, obviously). How much closer or farther than Ford they get, that's the question. Although it could be a very fun way to reference BCM. Of course the Libs can just throw whoever is Goodell's doomed successor is in the trash and try to beat Schweitzer with some other candidate).
Rest assured in however many years we get there I'll be heartily reading it.

Plus it's Brian Schweitzer, who is def a Democrat, who was elected in 2012, which makes it even more likely that Goodell was a Lib, and I think Goodell's would-be predecessor (I can't remember the name right now) was implied or stated to be a Democrat too.
It’s good you can’t remember the name since that’s one of my open slots 😂

Cant really swing the “-gate” suffix in any TL with a pre-1968 POD, really
I'd go back a *little* earlier, the complex was built in 1963 and the question is do you need A) Nixon in the Whitehouse, B) G Gordon Liddy involved in anything or C) Both.

I'd go back a *little* earlier, the complex was built in 1963 and the question is do you need A) Nixon in the Whitehouse, B) G Gordon Liddy involved in anything or C) Both.
As others implied Goodell is a very loose Nixon analogue, but also…
Two terms too!
Something of a Dubya, too, hence the two-terms. Every Presidential analogue is meant to be fairly loose though (Hearst was not purely a stand in for Teddy, after all)

As others implied Goodell is a very loose Nixon analogue, but also…

Something of a Dubya, too, hence the two-terms. Every Presidential analogue is meant to be fairly loose though (Hearst was not purely a stand in for Teddy, after all)
Looks like the early 21st Century Democrats are just as hapless and inept in this timeline as they were in real life. It is nice to have some consistency between multiverses - helps ground the reader.

Looks like the early 21st Century Democrats are just as hapless and inept in this timeline as they were in real life. It is nice to have some consistency between multiverses - helps ground the reader.
Hmm. First non-white President is Michael B. Jordan elected in 2024.

Last edited:
Hmm. First non-white President is Michael B. Jordan elected in 2024.
If Blacks stay the roughly 2% of the US population they are in the early 20th Century then it may be even longer than that.
I have at least one ethnic minority President on the docket - it is not going to be a Black person, for the reasons @Curtain Jerker describes (though I’d say they’re probably closer to 4-5% than 2 by 2023)

I have at least one ethnic minority President on the docket - it is not going to be a Black person, for the reasons @Curtain Jerker describes (though I’d say they’re probably closer to 4-5% than 2 by 2023)
There's a chance (not a good one mind you) that the CSA has a Black president before the USA does.

Again, I wouldn't put money on it, but there's a non-zero chance.

There's a chance (not a good one mind you) that the CSA has a Black president before the USA does.

Again, I wouldn't put money on it, but there's a non-zero chance.
The chance of going Full Mandela in the CSA has appealed to me but the differences (ethnic, for one) between the TTL CSA and OTL RSA are stark enough it’s unlikely even after the racial “rapprochement” coming down the pike in the 1990s.

But, yes, definitely more possible in Dixie than Yankeedom.

The chance of going Full Mandela in the CSA has appealed to me but the differences (ethnic, for one) between the TTL CSA and OTL RSA are stark enough it’s unlikely even after the racial “rapprochement” coming down the pike in the 1990s.

But, yes, definitely more possible in Dixie than Yankeedom.
In that case, MLK or Jesse Jackson as Mandela analogue than? Or you gonna choose non orthodox choices like Malcom X?

Getting an MLK or Jackson as a Mandela/Tambo analogue in terms of symbolic activism is easy; getting them elected President, not so much
I mean, I think that'd be a good way of getting something similar to South Africa without fully copying; MLK/Jesse Jackson become international symbols and very influential within the Confederate black community but don't get elected president. The African-Confederate, while potentially able to get a majority (and definitely going to have at least one, possibly a few states where they are a majority) of the Confederate population (depending on how bad the GAW goes for the White population) will never be able to overwhelm the white Confederate population in the same way black South Africans overwhelm white South Africans.
Hell, I just had a thought - if the population loss looks anything like Russia's in WW2, you could end up having an effect like Russia has had since then of the birth rates cratering every 20 years due to all the dead young people from the GAW not having kids (and then their kids, and their grandkids, and so on), and if the effect on white people proportional to Black people is significant enough, you could have an effect where whether the CSA is white or Black majority flips every 10 years or so.