Interesting AH ideas that aren't commonly used

McPherson

Banned
Alternate response to the USS Liberty attack?
Possible PODs:
-JFK isn't assasinated and is president, or Goldwater is President (unlikely Israel would still make such a bold move without certain assurances, though)
-Information is more available to the public about the incident and the political pressure either forces LBJ into a war or he is impeached.

Obviously Israel was already at war when the attack happened (the intention was to trick us in to helping them fight Egypt).
Would the US join forces with arab countries?
How would this play in to the cold war? What do the soviets do?
Does Israel have nukes at this point?
Assuming the US wins, what is foreign policy like in the coming decades? Would the middle east be the war-torn hellscape it is today, or valuable oil-rich US ally?
Would there be a rash of antisemitism in the US? (similar to anti-german sentiment in WW1 or anti-Japanese sentiment in WW2)
If there is a war with Israel, the US probably wouldn't waste valuable men and resources in Vietnam. What is the cultural landscape of the US like without the Vietnam War (and subsequent counterculture)
The war in Israel would be seen as far more justified than OTL Vietnam, meaning the hippies would have far less traction and the country would be more unified.

Curious to see what y'all think

Wow, total brainfart on my part there with Vietnam. I'd love to hear that post you're talking about, maybe POD isn't as far off as I thought.
I think it would be really interesting to look at the cultural impacts this would have.

CalBear said:

Just as an aside: After the attack on the Liberty, the 6th fleet launched a strike package with the intention of ATTACKING the Israeli bases that facilitates the air and naval attack. Per standing policy the carrier launched its Alert Five strike aircraft. Fortunately, before they got too far from the ship someone figured out that, due to the position of the carrier, the Alert Five package was part of a strategic exercise the USS America was running at the time and the strike aircraft were armed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS. The U.S. came within about 40 minutes of nuking Israel.

Remember that the strike package loadout was an accident of timing. The original intent was a conventional munitions punishment strike against the offender a la 19th century gunboat diplomacy. A nuke going off would have severe repercussions for everyone in both the civilian and military chains of responsibility all the way to the oval office. Fortunately, somebody caught it in time.

As an aside, the individuals in the US State Department (I'm thinking specifically of people like Breckenridge Long and his ilk) who pursued their "peculiar" policy choices were absolutely despicable. A PoD I would like to have seen, is if the U.S. State Department had gotten on the right side of history, just for once in its existence and done the "right" policy instead of the "peculiar" policy choices.

McPherson

Banned
A PoD where the execrable work Dr. Ruth Benedict did upon Japanese culture, which hamstrung American strategists in WW II and which persists down to the present in conveying false stereotypes about Japanese "shame culture" would have been replaced with better on the ground research by Yusuke Hashiba, Tsunekichi Kōno and Torii Ryūzō. Their work was openly published and available to American researchers. It was first rate and certainly better than the utter garbage Dr. Benedict supplied to the US War Department. A lot of the wrong assumptions that went into Downfall can be blamed on Dr. Benedict's mistaken theories about how Human beings behave. It seems that the Japanese love their kids just as much as we Americans love ours, for example. She got that disastrously wrong.

But somehow they still end up in primaries 2008, because of fuck butterflies and the Douglas-Lincoln example. ;-)
Obama wins a primary against Rod Blagojevich in '06, cleans up state government, and runs in '08 against "the culture of corruption in Washington."
I'm thinking Hillary, even as an indifferent campaigner (& IMO she's not great), could beat Obama, without the baggage of Bill. (Isn't that a Broadway show?:openedeyewink: ) So Obama has to wait until 2016, & he gives Trump the beatdown he deserves.:cool::cool::cool: (I won't mention recent events, since this isn't chat...;))

McPherson wrote:
Depends on Packard, Glenn Curtiss and Aberdeen or Dahlgren proving grounds. 9 months? Since the main target clusters are the Chesapeake and New York and Long Island environs, it would be quick once the hardware is in hand.

“Quick” being relative since the main “target cluster” won’t be that clear. Sure the officials may have a pretty accurate view of what’s possible but the public won’t. And this isn’t a well-known or understood threat like an ‘invasion’ or submarines off the coast. The Germans came by AIR and initially the US has no way to STOP them if they attack. Sure Britain is ‘dealing’ with their problem in this area but up until this point the British had actually been playing UP the damage and civilian destruction to the US press to try and whip up sympathy for them and anger against the Germans. They can’t instantly reverse this.

The Big Problem I see is North Atlantic weather. I do not think the zepps of the day are capable.

It was a ‘maybe’ and a good part of the reason the attempt was denied permission. My ‘take’ would be send three expect one to get through, (and put your most experienced crew on that one) with anyone who has to either abort or crashes, (and survives) short of the continent claiming to be a blockade runner, or ‘lost’ Britain bombing Zeppelin crew.

Just about any way you look at it an actual ‘attack’ is out of the question but if you use a short opportunity to show it “might” happen then America has to take that into account. And enough chutzpah and some luck…

The Germans could have tried in the RTL. I presume the technical reasons I speculated might have been operant.

It took modification (install two additional gas cells and extra fuel storage and cargo capacity) to the “standard” V-class (introduced late 1917) to get the proper long range “W-class” and the trip to Africa was shown to be more challenging than a possible crossing of the Atlantic was with the technology. OTL the “W-class” was the inspiration and basis for the proposed “X-class” New York bombers. (Three built, one lost over England, one destroyed by crew after war and one turned over to France which became the “Dixmude” in French service till lost in flight in 1923) None of the “X” birds were ready before the middle of 1918 by which time the only thing they COULD do was attack the US which would only prove how little a threat they were.

If you look at it some of the earlier ships with similar modifications (R and later S Class) which were introduced in mid-1916 may be able to do the job, but you have to get rid of Strasser being in overall charge of the Zeppelin force to allow the diversions. (He highly opposed the whole “China Show” from the beginning)

The “W” modified ships could have done it but with questionable accuracy and effectiveness in a military mission. My point is to get things rolling fast enough to ensure the flight is NOT a “military” mission as a major point. This isn’t a WAR Zeppelin but a “Merchant” Zeppelin looking at a novel way to break the harsh British blockade. Let people draw their own conclusions and maybe help them with some ‘hints’ here and there. The main point is still going to require no US declaration of War in April of 1917 or none of this can happen,

Why? The air defense effort required is almost trivial to the "practical" threat posed, once development and standup is accomplished.

Is it? Well, being honest probably yes it is but… Keep in mind that several major East Coast major metropolitan areas have to be covered with newly organized and equipped air defense units. Everything from heavy anti-aircraft guns to locally situated and trained aircraft squadrons. New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, etc

And frankly that’s only the tip of the ice berg because neutral or not Mexico is a ‘problem’ and more so if they STAY neutral but are suspected of being in league with the Germans and a possible base for German attack zeppelins! Implausible? Probably but the total cost of seeing troops and equipment deployed to the southern borders and even the West Coast is rumors and “mysterious” explosions and/fires attributed to “German Zeppelin” attacks. You can get this level of paranoia without the Zimmerman letter pretty easy. And it means more troops and equipment that isn’t going to be available to getting the AEF equipped, trained or deployed, Can America handle it? Sure, but not right away and priority will have to be given to getting it all organized and started before thing fall into shape.

I wish Wilson had not had a jihard on against "Republican Leonard Wood". Arguably Pershing was a good staid "democrat" choice, but a general with an open mind might have been more op-art flexible. Funston would have been "interesting" in a very negative way.

Wood was too tied into the “Preparedness Movement” which scared the crap out of the Democrats and neutrality minded politicians. Pershing while a ‘Democrat” had support on both sides and was a known ‘non-partisan’ choice. Funston was Wilson’s primary choice but not many Republican’s liked it nor did a good portion of the officer corps. “Interesting” times is a curse in China after all :)

Why? Would it not be logical to burn the Zeppelin sheds?

British tried that and it wasn’t nearly as effective as they had hoped.

Besides, a sane appraisal of how many Atlantic capable zepps that can be built and how many that can actually reach targets means that a good estimate of the 4 or 5 fighter squadrons and the 100 or AAA batteries needed to defend the only worthwhile target sets based on the only practical great circle air routes can be easily estimated.

You said it and I put it in bold and that IS in fact the whole concept in a nutshell. Don’t let the American’s have a chance to be ‘sane’ in the short term. Give them reasons and expectation that they NEED to protect the “home front” for the first time and BEFORE they can turn to offensive preparations or actions. Also keep in mind that even WITH Strasser hammering on the need for more Zeppelins for attaching England the Germans had by the middle of 1917 began to more heavily push heavier than air “bombers” for such duties and considered withdrawing and reducing Zeppelins in the offensive roll. The American’s are going to notice this and remember the ‘modifications’ of the visiting “merchant” Zeppelin and wonder how many are being converted to attack a ‘defenseless’ America.

And keep in mind while they never carried gas bombs the English had been expecting them too and Strasser had advocated using them in attacks. Only the High Command restrictions prevented it. American politicians have to deal with a public that is both afraid and somewhat informed on such attacks and the propaganda of the ‘merciless Hun’ is NOT going to help those fears. So anyplace that CAN be attacked by air also runs the risk of gas bombings. And something to keep in mind is that the US military and government very much regarded ‘gas’ as a significant weapons system and sunk a LOT of resources into creating both gasses and ways to deploy them.

You have to look carefully but one thing Kettering said when his “bug” drone was NOT used but retired by the US after the war was that he was GLAD that ‘ultimate’ weapons of his drone and gas had NOT been deployed during the war. This pretty much hints at a planned use for the vehicle and so it would NOT be a great leap to see Germany using Zeppelin dropped gas on American cities as a possibility. And then there was the Ruston Proctor “Aerial Target” drone which was being proposed as an “anti-Zeppelin” aerial torpedo as well :)
(https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/short-history-drones-part-1-x.html)

4 to 5 squadrons of aircraft and support plus 100 or so AAA batteries and control and support begins to add up pretty quickly. And then there’s the Naval pickets and defense ships the British are using that the American’s will want to copy and emulate. Just to be sure.

Hmm. I'll let it develop, because I think you have an explanation.

For why the US doesn’t do what’s expected of them? We’re crazy? :) The fact the US tends to have two modes, complacent and panicked? Or why I think that NOT attacking would be relevant? It wasn’t that the Germans or Europeans didn’t understand that American industry and production was a ‘game-changing’ element of the conflict. They did, very much so or they wouldn’t have been so adamant/eager to either prevent or gain their support if they entered the conflict. What they didn’t “understand” until only recently is how America ‘worked’ and how American’s fit themselves into that process. They were seen as an industrial and resource powerhouse but much like Latin America ‘self-divided’ and unable to sustain what they saw as a ‘Great Power’ outlook. AS it arguably was clear that the US had pushed itself towards that status during the previous decades and then let the ability fall by the wayside as their ability to project military power waned. So obviously they weren’t a “Great Power” after all. Right?

But to the average American we’ve ALWAYS been equal to any European or Asian power… Even when we haven’t. But rubbing that in America’s face tends to just make the average American mad enough to set aside our more ‘important’ differences, (again the people American’s dislike the most is other American’s that in the end is the ‘subject’ we always return to) and roll up our sleeves and show everyone what we can do.

The European states had as much interest or understanding in US internal politics as they had about the dark side of the moon. This contrasts sharply with east Asian governments of the same era who had a lot of interactions based on US internal politics and understood the Americans slightly better, which is always the great puzzler, WTH if the Japanese KNEW what kind of blowtorch would be turned their way, did they spark off a war by doing Port Arthur3.0/Taranto 2.0?

Quite frankly because we went all “Great Power” and dragged Japan into the modern world and then simply walked away for the most part. That looked just as ‘weak’ and indecisive as it did to the Europeans but with the added insult that we’d done little but drag Japan kicking and screaming into the modern world, started to open them up to trade and teach them expansion and then went off and ignored them. They thought they understood the American’s “slightly” better as you put it but really since it made little sense to them as to anyone else they began to make and accept the assumptions of the European powers. Weak military and a nation of ‘merchants’ rather than warriors how strong could they be?

Two world wars and the lesson still wasn’t widely accepted outside the nations the US was actively IN and they (the US) STILL didn’t seem to be doing it “right”.

Potemkin it and bluff until the troops can reach the zepp sheds and burn them.

The civilians won’t buy it and the troops will never reach them to burn them. Wasn’t going to happen which was why they were only truly ‘burned’ by their own people.

"Mr. Secretary Daniels; we have this contraption we want to build. It is called an aircraft carrier."

"Captain Moffett, will it be a DRY ship? I know how your aviators like to get roaring drunk."

"It will be a dry ship, sir."

"Who will build the planes?"

"Packard, Curtiss, and Pratt and Whitney?"

"Go to it, man. How many do you want?"

"Can we have all the Lexingtons, sir?"

"One each for the German dirigibles?"

"We call them, Zepps, sir."

“We’d call them Zippo’s, (cause they always light up) but those haven’t been invented yet” (1932)
Heh, but really it won’t happen as no one really was getting the concept of the air craft carrier until after the war. Since the Zepps would likely be approaching from high altitude sea-based planes were seen as less useful due to the weight and drag of the floats. Land based planes that could be used at sea, (the English experiments and use of Sopwith Camels to attack the Zeppelin sheds was interesting but not as effective as desired) Then again “Captain Moffett” will eventually become a fan of bringing airplanes to Zeppelin fights so…

I always maintained R.L. Lowery was a crackpot.

Likely but also obviously he was far from alone

I've looked at this scenario. It would be a 2 year war that would end in guerrilla warfare and a sort of stalemate. It would be the kind of guerro,(war_) the US waged in the Philippine Islands with probably the same eventual resort of the feeling of biting off way more than could be chewed. At the least it would cost the Americans 200,000 dead and maybe 3x that many maimed. At the very best, a permanent army of occupation would have to be established in northern Mexico.

Well the “good” news is the factions in Mexico will have something to keep them occupied and untied for possibly long enough to do some long term “good”. (And yes there’s reasons those are in quotes :) )

Keep in mind at the time of the Zimmerman Telegram we were already involved if only mostly haphazardly since the Niagara Falls Conference, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_countries) and the ABC nations felt (quite rightly) they’d protected both American and Latin American interests in accordance with the Monroe Doctrine. The US invading Mexico, (again and this time more than just a small ‘occupation’ force) is going to make a LOT of people nervous at a time when America, (and Europe) don’t need the extra “side” issues.

Maybe... or maybe 4 million doughboys show up in France and 1919 becomes for Germany "Das Jahr, in dem wir Texican sprechen gelernt haben." (The year in which we learned to speak Texican.)

Wait those same “Texican’s” that spectacularly failed to invade themselves? (Houston and the Congress had a ‘difference of opinion’ on where the records should be stored. Houston’s forces failed to capture the ‘national’ archives and Congressional forces failed to unseat Houston… And things kinda went downhill from there with loosing that ‘other’ war and all) Given a choice between going after Mexico and going to Europe? As a US President (from the South mind you) that’s a ‘choice’ you don’t want to offer them because they WILL choose the wrong option for all the “right” (they swear) reasons. And there was a REASON Federal troops were sent south to 'deal' with the raids and such since it was known/suspected, (but never 'proven' for a given value of 'proof') that it was likely a LOT of the 'raids' were by Texan's on neighbors they didn't like or wanted the land. Further the 'official' Texan militia called up to deal with the raids spectacularly failed to do so... Because Texas was still having issues raising militia's that would actually listen to the State government. Federalizing the entire "National Guard" (including local militia's) saved everybody some real problems.

Randy

I believe there was a proposal to send a Japanese expeditionary force to France in the first world war. Exposure to the reality of trench warfare would have had a massive impact on Japanese military doctrine during the second world war.

I'm thinking Hillary, even as an indifferent campaigner (& IMO she's not great), could beat Obama, without the baggage of Bill. (Isn't that a Broadway show?:openedeyewink: ) So Obama has to wait until 2016, & he gives Trump the beatdown he deserves.:cool::cool::cool: (I won't mention recent events, since this isn't chat...;))

On the subject of Obama, his 2004 Senate win relied heavily on the candidate selected to replace him (named, oddly enough, Jack Ryan) being revealed to have an interest in rather exotic nightclubs through the unsealing of his divorce records. If the divorce records don't come up or are released before the primary, you could have a very different presidential election four years later.

nbcman

Donor
I believe there was a proposal to send a Japanese expeditionary force to France in the first world war. Exposure to the reality of trench warfare would have had a massive impact on Japanese military doctrine during the second world war.
I don't know. The Siege of Port Arthur didn't impact their doctrine terribly much.

On the subject of Obama, his 2004 Senate win relied heavily on the candidate selected to replace him (named, oddly enough, Jack Ryan) being revealed to have an interest in rather exotic nightclubs through the unsealing of his divorce records. If the divorce records don't come up or are released before the primary, you could have a very different presidential election four years later.

I was under the impression that the sealed divorce records of his primary and general election opponents were revealed under suspicious circumstances.

McPherson

Banned
I am currently laying the groundwork for an ATL Spanish American War. One of the interesting PoDs I have played through in a couple of wargames at the op-art level, is what happens if the Spanish admiralty does not make a hash of the Camara squadron deployment as in OTL. I keep getting a second Battle of Manila Bay that results in an even bigger Spanish disaster and ultimately escalates into a very nasty international incident between von Dederichs and Dewey's thoroughly shot up East Asia squadron. It ain't pretty when the American reinforcements, Monadnock and Monterey, arrive, and tilt the odds against the Germans either. The politics get a bit weird, too, as Chichester (British RN officer in the barrel.) has to decide if the Russians (not present) and French (present) are a bigger threat to British hegemonic control in the South China Sea and access to China or the upstart Germans, who have just forced a concession and a base from the Qing government are. The British and the French are not in Entente yet, you see. Then Britain has her ally Japan, who has been working to undermine Spanish rule in the Philippine Islands and has been aiding Aguinaldo for the last four years (ever since 1894) against the Captain Generalcy a fact which really has Dewey torqued off. Here are the Americans, like a bolt out of the blue, threatening the entire western Pacific applecart. Chichester has to choose and in a hurry, von Dederichs or Dewey and what about the Japanese? It is kind of important, because Britain has the Fashoda Crisis brewing up in the Sudan in just a few months as this Philippine Island nonsense just drags on and on.

Does Great Britain want a Franco-American alliance against her? And can she afford to torque off the Germans, who might be a useful cudgel to keep the Franco-Russians in line? What is a Chichester supposed to do?

Food for thought.

OTL Clinton's hometown is in Jan Schakowsky's district. I could see her getting elected to Congress in '98 and then beating state senator Obama for the senate nomination in '04.

True, I lived there for a few years. Fun fact: IL is so gerrymandered that I moved like 12 miles and still ended up in the same district. Just moved from one end to the other unintentionally.

I was under the impression that the sealed divorce records of his primary and general election opponents were revealed under suspicious circumstances.

IIRC it was a FOIA request from the Tribune that led to the unsealing of the Ryan divorce. Could be wrong but that's what I remember at least.

Fun fact #2: Jack Ryan's ex-wife was Jeri Ryan of Voyager fame.

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever seen often the idea of an Imperial Russian Superpower dominating Europe or at least most of it. Britain being occupied and/or being made a puppet state is also pretty rare. China and Japan as allies or at least Japan as a puppet state of China is pretty rare. A nation other than Britain or America having the world's largest and most powerful navy is rare i think.

True, I lived there for a few years. Fun fact: IL is so gerrymandered that I moved like 12 miles and still ended up in the same district. Just moved from one end to the other unintentionally.

IIRC it was a FOIA request from the Tribune that led to the unsealing of the Ryan divorce. Could be wrong but that's what I remember at least.

Fun fact #2: Jack Ryan's ex-wife was Jeri Ryan of Voyager fame.

According to Wikipedia, the lawsuit over the divorce records was somewhat drawn-out, and they weren't actually released until after the Republican primary. If the judge decided not to release them, Obama would have had a harder time getting elected (it was a Republican year, after all). An earlier release could result in second-place candidate Jim Oberweis, whose campaign focused heavily on illegal immigration, winning the primary.

i've actually put some vague thoughts into what an Islamic Reformation could look like, or at least where it could be partly based. the idea i came up with was that it could be centered on 4/5 of the Pentarchy--that is, the main episcopal sees of the Roman Empire--since all of them except for Rome were encompassed by the various Caliphates for a considerable span of history, and there could be new, Protestant-like denominations to Islam which emerge from those four cities

I'm less sure. It's not like IJA had no experience with entrenchments in the Russo-Japanese War. The problem interwar was as much (more?) budgetary, & technological, as doctrinal. Japan didn't have the engineering depth to produce a/c & vehicles of quality equal their enemies, nor the money to buy enough of them.

IDK if it was possible for Japan to copy the Flak 38, then build it in large-enough numbers to cope with interwar Sov armor (or M4s, or T-34s); it seems to run contrary to IJA (& IJN) doctrine to think "defensively" (tho if they copy blitzkrieg, with 88s as the "cutting edge" against enemy armor--& the armor Japan can produce was more than enough to cope with ROC).

On another idea (tho POD is 1898, IIRC): the U.S. gets the Carolines from Spain, rather than rejecting them, which puts Truk (& Kwajalein? & Rabaul?) in U.S. hands in 1941. (I'm dubious the Pac Fleet gets moved to Truk, but if it functions like Midway, Japan's SLOC defense is seriously screwed.:eek::eek: )

McPherson

Banned
I'm less sure. It's not like IJA had no experience with entrenchments in the Russo-Japanese War. The problem interwar was as much (more?) budgetary, & technological, as doctrinal. Japan didn't have the engineering depth to produce a/c & vehicles of quality equal their enemies, nor the money to buy enough of them.

IDK if it was possible for Japan to copy the Flak 38, then build it in large-enough numbers to cope with interwar Sov armor (or M4s, or T-34s); it seems to run contrary to IJA (& IJN) doctrine to think "defensively" (tho if they copy blitzkrieg, with 88s as the "cutting edge" against enemy armor--& the armor Japan can produce was more than enough to cope with ROC).

On another idea (tho POD is 1898, IIRC): the U.S. gets the Carolines from Spain, rather than rejecting them, which puts Truk (& Kwajalein? & Rabaul?) in U.S. hands in 1941. (I'm dubious the Pac Fleet gets moved to Truk, but if it functions like Midway, Japan's SLOC defense is seriously screwed.:eek: )

There probably (YMMV) was nothing fundamentally wrong with Japan's technical base or engineering talent AFAIK in OTL. They were capable of assigning sufficient design talent to domestically develop or reverse engineer a host of solutions to produce the equipment in variety that they thought they needed. In the case of the IJA the limiter was probably financial, raw materials access and industrial base allocated to them and not the lack of capability.

The Japanese government until the militarists took over and ran amok, more or less followed a British style military policy which was to concentrate its capital investment into its navy for self defense. Usually this was 35% or more of the government budget. Again this is not out of keeping with early British practice. As a result, Japanese heavy industry was technically and productively oriented toward mercantile and naval requirements. There was a huge, relative to the size of the economy as a whole, and quite advanced shipbuilding industry. It was larger than France's production base in this regard. For the land army, the IJA, which was mainly a peasant (farmer boys) based infantry army, the needs are far simpler in the military environment Japan faces in the 1920s and early 1930s. Aircraft are useful and these are quite well developed within the engine technology and air frame science Japan's engineers know to the point where their aircraft become and remain competitive with the best European designs until Japan's defeat. This includes jet propelled aircraft by the way. Their navy, well let us just say the Japanese were technically a parity power and that the USN was still trying to catch up with Japanese weaponry and technical methods in IJN place in 1943 all the way to 1953.

The IJA, like the British and American army compeers was left with table scraps. The Imperial Japanese Army had to make do with about 1/10 the financial capital investment and 1/3 the capital budget the IJN received. Most of the IJA's capital went into aviation. This mirrors the American interwar example. Of course the same aviation design and production capability that serves the IJN also serves the IJA aviation service, so it is no surprise that the aircraft are similar in performance and results. What is weird is that both services insisted on their own pilot training methods and aircraft armaments and had their favorite manufacturers. Kind of an inter-service politics run amok kind of thing not too dis-similar from what hobbles the Americans interwar, Ever wonder why the USN lacked a shore based anti-ship strike capability comparable to the IJN's Rikkos? Politics. It hobbled IJA aviation.

And then there is the weird IJA internal politics. There were two factions inside the IJA, the "technicals" and the "spirituals". The technicals wanted a small professional army armed with the best war machines that the IJA budget could purchase, used by the best trained volunteer army the operating budget would allow. This is why one sees the large variety, but not the large numerical quantity of motorized equipment the IJA has designed and produced for it. There is some British influence going on here. Then there are the spirituals, who have drunk the French army pre-WW1 Kool-Aid, of all offense ALL THE TIME, who also mis-remember that it was human wave assaults that carried the Russian trenches in the Russo-Japanese war. They forgot that the Japanese army had gone out of its way, during that war to learn how to use heavy artillery preparatory fires, and had bought and used ten times as many machine guns in offense and defense as the Russians had. Plus the Tsar's soldiers were incompetently led, badly motivated (still fought hard) and rather poorly equipped compared to the superb IJA of the era. The spirituals were trying to replicate a "people's army" success on the cheap using the wrong metrics. Hence they argued infantry mass and offensive spirit could overcome enemy defense. Khalkin Gol was the wakeup call where the Russians, with a frankly still incompetently led army showed that even a moderate technical superiority in logistics and equipment will make up for a lot of sins (cough US Army, cough), and suddenly the spirituals, who have run the IJA off the rails, started the China war and gone lunatic imperialist over the technicals objections, realize that the technicals may have been sort of right. It is 1939-1940 though, and it takes an army a decade or so to learn from a defeat. (Kasserine Pass took that long. One still sees the Fort Knox and Fort Benning schools trying to fix mistakes all the way into Korea. McP.). One notices a flurry of technical projects rushed through such as new artillery, new tanks and new machine guns and a shift into defensive training and thinking. But this happens from 1940-1945 and a little war is in progress. Oops.

McPherson

Banned
9 Months to integrate an air defense.

“Quick” being relative since the main “target cluster” won’t be that clear. Sure the officials may have a pretty accurate view of what’s possible but the public won’t. And this isn’t a well-known or understood threat like an ‘invasion’ or submarines off the coast. The Germans came by AIR and initially the US has no way to STOP them if they attack. Sure Britain is ‘dealing’ with their problem in this area but up until this point the British had actually been playing UP the damage and civilian destruction to the US press to try and whip up sympathy for them and anger against the Germans. They can’t instantly reverse this.

The British are known to be exaggerating. Wilson is naïve, absolutely and demonstrably incompetent and somewhat gullible (YMMV, I will have something to say about the Mexico expedition in a bit in this regard. McP.) but the ones who have to carry out the war effort (Newton C. Baker, SecWar and MGs Hugh L Scott and Tasker H. Bliss, both who know Wilson is a tyro.) are not.

It was a ‘maybe’ and a good part of the reason the attempt was denied permission. My ‘take’ would be send three expect one to get through, (and put your most experienced crew on that one) with anyone who has to either abort or crashes, (and survives) short of the continent claiming to be a blockade runner, or ‘lost’ Britain bombing Zeppelin crew.

I would buy that explanation. I still think the Germans have no idea how difficult Atlantic crossings are. They had not even accounted for the learning curve required for long distance overwater navigation yet.

Just about any way you look at it an actual ‘attack’ is out of the question but if you use a short opportunity to show it “might” happen then America has to take that into account. And enough chutzpah and some luck…

A lot of luck. A nor'easter is a good air defense against zepps.

It took modification (install two additional gas cells and extra fuel storage and cargo capacity) to the “standard” V-class (introduced late 1917) to get the proper long range “W-class” and the trip to Africa was shown to be more challenging than a possible crossing of the Atlantic was with the technology. OTL the “W-class” was the inspiration and basis for the proposed “X-class” New York bombers. (Three built, one lost over England, one destroyed by crew after war and one turned over to France which became the “Dixmude” in French service till lost in flight in 1923) None of the “X” birds were ready before the middle of 1918 by which time the only thing they COULD do was attack the US which would only prove how little a threat they were.
Air weather in the mid-band altitudes over the Mediterranean and the Sahara was "interesting".

If you look at it some of the earlier ships with similar modifications (R and later S Class) which were introduced in mid-1916 may be able to do the job, but you have to get rid of Strasser being in overall charge of the Zeppelin force to allow the diversions. (He highly opposed the whole “China Show” from the beginning.).
Agreed.

The “W” modified ships could have done it but with questionable accuracy and effectiveness in a military mission. My point is to get things rolling fast enough to ensure the flight is NOT a “military” mission as a major point. This isn’t a WAR Zeppelin but a “Merchant” Zeppelin looking at a novel way to break the harsh British blockade. Let people draw their own conclusions and maybe help them with some ‘hints’ here and there. The main point is still going to require no US declaration of War in April of 1917 or none of this can happen,

After Black Tom and the Zimmerman operations, (Not just the telegram ya' know?) one expects no declaration? Good luck!

Is it? Well, being honest probably yes it is but… Keep in mind that several major East Coast major metropolitan areas have to be covered with newly organized and equipped air defense units. Everything from heavy anti-aircraft guns to locally situated and trained aircraft squadrons. New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, etc

The big deal is getting reaction times down to minutes instead of hours. I really doubt an observer corps is going to give enough lead minutes for intercept, but if the IADS can get pursuit up in time to chase and shoot down those flying cigars, 100% loss o0f mission will soon put an end to the demo raids. Air power circles can easily be an hour in the air and that will cover the BosWash target set with about 5 squadrons or roughly 80 to 100 aircraft. The AAA is mostly for morale effect and to give the army an excuse to buy or develop American developed field artillery.

And frankly that’s only the tip of the ice berg because neutral or not Mexico is a ‘problem’ and more so if they STAY neutral but are suspected of being in league with the Germans and a possible base for German attack zeppelins! Implausible? Probably but the total cost of seeing troops and equipment deployed to the southern borders and even the West Coast is rumors and “mysterious” explosions and/fires attributed to “German Zeppelin” attacks. You can get this level of paranoia without the Zimmerman letter pretty easy. And it means more troops and equipment that isn’t going to be available to getting the AEF equipped, trained or deployed, Can America handle it? Sure, but not right away and priority will have to be given to getting it all organized and started before thing fall into shape.
The army will actually see it as a godsend to buy time to size up, equip and prepare for Europe. And I will be honest, northern Mexico is a logistics and operational nightmare. Think North Africa with a WW I American amateur army but also with a indigenous population that is fiercely nationalistic, know guerrilla warfare and hates gringo invaders. They have long memories, the Mexicans.

Wood was too tied into the “Preparedness Movement” which scared the crap out of the Democrats and neutrality minded politicians. Pershing while a ‘Democrat” had support on both sides and was a known ‘non-partisan’ choice. Funston was Wilson’s primary choice but not many Republican’s liked it nor did a good portion of the officer corps. “Interesting” times is a curse in China after all :)

The officer corps knew Funston was a publicity hog, army politician, careerist and a backstabber. They had little to fault his generalship. He was actually a fair to middling tactician, but who needs a Douglas MacArthur type in charge of the army? An egomaniac is not going to be a good choice for a coalition general. Wilson needed someone who could get along with Foch and Clemanceau and who could read a map. Pershing was none of these things; either, as it turns out. Leonard Wood could. Hang the domestic politics. if one wants to win a war, send for the ___ of a ____ and win the war. He can be given a parade and canned after the shooting stops.
British tried that and it wasn’t nearly as effective as they had hoped.

They were not the USN.

You said it and I put it in bold and that IS in fact the whole concept in a nutshell. Don’t let the American’s have a chance to be ‘sane’ in the short term. Give them reasons and expectation that they NEED to protect the “home front” for the first time and BEFORE they can turn to offensive preparations or actions. Also keep in mind that even WITH Strasser hammering on the need for more Zeppelins for attaching England the Germans had by the middle of 1917 began to more heavily push heavier than air “bombers” for such duties and considered withdrawing and reducing Zeppelins in the offensive roll. The American’s are going to notice this and remember the ‘modifications’ of the visiting “merchant” Zeppelin and wonder how many are being converted to attack a ‘defenseless’ America.

And also notice that the Germans are withdrawing Zeppelins from an active air defense.

And keep in mind while they never carried gas bombs the English had been expecting them too and Strasser had advocated using them in attacks. Only the High Command restrictions prevented it. American politicians have to deal with a public that is both afraid and somewhat informed on such attacks and the propaganda of the ‘merciless Hun’ is NOT going to help those fears. So anyplace that CAN be attacked by air also runs the risk of gas bombings. And something to keep in mind is that the US military and government very much regarded ‘gas’ as a significant weapons system and sunk a LOT of resources into creating both gasses and ways to deploy them.
Aerial gas attacks are somewhat overrated. The bombs have to be air burst weapons. And winds tend to be fickle and capricious.

You have to look carefully but one thing Kettering said when his “bug” drone was NOT used but retired by the US after the war was that he was GLAD that ‘ultimate’ weapons of his drone and gas had NOT been deployed during the war. This pretty much hints at a planned use for the vehicle and so it would NOT be a great leap to see Germany using Zeppelin dropped gas on American cities as a possibility. And then there was the Ruston Proctor “Aerial Target” drone which was being proposed as an “anti-Zeppelin” aerial torpedo as well :)
(https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/short-history-drones-part-1-x.html)

Guidance issues, air burst fusing problems and we have the objections I have already posited.

4 to 5 squadrons of aircraft and support plus 100 or so AAA batteries and control and support begins to add up pretty quickly. And then there’s the Naval pickets and defense ships the British are using that the American’s will want to copy and emulate. Just to be sure.

US fishing boats are going to need a host of radio operators and the development of radio will receive even more emphasis than they are already getting. The US is pioneering with tactical radio control as a result of the Pancho Villa Expedition fiasco.

For why the US doesn’t do what’s expected of them? We’re crazy? :) The fact the US tends to have two modes, complacent and panicked? Or why I think that NOT attacking would be relevant? It wasn’t that the Germans or Europeans didn’t understand that American industry and production was a ‘game-changing’ element of the conflict. They did, very much so or they wouldn’t have been so adamant/eager to either prevent or gain their support if they entered the conflict. What they didn’t “understand” until only recently is how America ‘worked’ and how American’s fit themselves into that process. They were seen as an industrial and resource powerhouse but much like Latin America ‘self-divided’ and unable to sustain what they saw as a ‘Great Power’ outlook. AS it arguably was clear that the US had pushed itself towards that status during the previous decades and then let the ability fall by the wayside as their ability to project military power waned. So obviously they weren’t a “Great Power” after all. Right?

The Germans and British never understood power projection (and still don't, not the way Americans do.). They well understood power potential but thought that the Americans were not a seapower. With the Germans this is understandable, but for the British to not understand it? The British thought they would lose Canada in Plan Red, but they never thought the Americans could descend on the home islands. TORCH will teach them otherwise.

But to the average American we’ve ALWAYS been equal to any European or Asian power… Even when we haven’t. But rubbing that in America’s face tends to just make the average American mad enough to set aside our more ‘important’ differences, (again the people American’s dislike the most is other American’s that in the end is the ‘subject’ we always return to) and roll up our sleeves and show everyone what we can do.

I would tend to agree, but let us not overstate the case. I actually blame Wilson for most of the problems we self inflicted on ourselves.

Quite frankly because we went all “Great Power” and dragged Japan into the modern world and then simply walked away for the most part. That looked just as ‘weak’ and indecisive as it did to the Europeans but with the added insult that we’d done little but drag Japan kicking and screaming into the modern world, started to open them up to trade and teach them expansion and then went off and ignored them. They thought they understood the American’s “slightly” better as you put it but really since it made little sense to them as to anyone else they began to make and accept the assumptions of the European powers. Weak military and a nation of ‘merchants’ rather than warriors how strong could they be?

Their navy had no illusions. Their army was China fixated.

Two world wars and the lesson still wasn’t widely accepted outside the nations the US was actively IN and they (the US) STILL didn’t seem to be doing it “right”.

Iraq, Afghanistan. Once again, when it comes to nation taming, and that it what we actually discuss, because the character of a nation's culture is not amenable to rapid transition, that takes generations; the American army is well aware that taming a nation takes generations. Not something that a democracy has the stomach to do, unless it is absolutely essential. Think First Nations Wars.

The civilians won’t buy it and the troops will never reach them to burn them. Wasn’t going to happen which was why they were only truly ‘burned’ by their own people.

(USN ^^^ video.)

“We’d call them Zippo’s, (cause they always light up) but those haven’t been invented yet” (1932)

Heh, but really it won’t happen as no one really was getting the concept of the air craft carrier until after the war. Since the Zepps would likely be approaching from high altitude sea-based planes were seen as less useful due to the weight and drag of the floats. Land based planes that could be used at sea, (the English experiments and use of Sopwith Camels to attack the Zeppelin sheds was interesting but not as effective as desired) Then again “Captain Moffett” will eventually become a fan of bringing airplanes to Zeppelin fights so…

The USN is experimenting with deck landing as soon as the British did (Not before as our popular histories claim, but at least contemporoary.). War intensifies the effort. A longer war, which is what your ATL calls for, will see the USN get her Lexington CVs.

Likely but also obviously he was far from alone.

No he is not. That is why we have professionals to lock these nuts up.

Well the “good” news is the factions in Mexico will have something to keep them occupied and untied for possibly long enough to do some long term “good”. (And yes there’s reasons those are in quotes :) )

That overestimates Wilson and underestimates Carranza.

Keep in mind at the time of the Zimmerman Telegram we were already involved if only mostly haphazardly since the Niagara Falls Conference,
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_countries) and the ABC nations felt (quite rightly) they’d protected both American and Latin American interests in accordance with the Monroe Doctrine. The US invading Mexico, (again and this time more than just a small ‘occupation’ force) is going to make a LOT of people nervous at a time when America, (and Europe) don’t need the extra “side” issues.

Have I mentioned that I believe Wilson is incompetent? He believed he could teach these nations "good government". He will blunder badly in Europe. Why not in the New World, too? As he did demonstrate he would do. And let us not forget those epic State Department losers er Secretaries: W.J. Bryan, R. Lansing and B. Colby; who helped him.

Wait those same “Texican’s” that spectacularly failed to invade themselves? (Houston and the Congress had a ‘difference of opinion’ on where the records should be stored. Houston’s forces failed to capture the ‘national’ archives and Congressional forces failed to unseat Houston… And things kinda went downhill from there with loosing that ‘other’ war and all) Given a choice between going after Mexico and going to Europe? As a US President (from the South mind you) that’s a ‘choice’ you don’t want to offer them because they WILL choose the wrong option for all the “right” (they swear) reasons. And there was a REASON Federal troops were sent south to 'deal' with the raids and such since it was known/suspected, (but never 'proven' for a given value of 'proof') that it was likely a LOT of the 'raids' were by Texan's on neighbors they didn't like or wanted the land. Further the 'official' Texan militia called up to deal with the raids spectacularly failed to do so... Because Texas was still having issues raising militia's that would actually listen to the State government. Federalizing the entire "National Guard" (including local militia's) saved everybody some real problems.

Randy

1280px-Santa_Fe_Route_Map_1891-from-wikimedia.jpg

The Mexican War; (see ^^^ Map) is going to be an El Paso fastball special. Ugh, can one see what I mean by a logistics nightmare? Anyway, anybody passing through Texas is going to learn "Texican" and develop "Texican" attitudes. It is not going to be a pleasant attitude.^1

^1 This is a reprehensible and dark truth about American colonial imperialist history that remains a constant factor. It is not unique to Americans, but Americans should not presume that they are immune of such distasteful attitudes. And for the WW I era I blame Wilson for really exacerbating it with his deliberate policies to foment such attitudes through his prejudices and governmental actions which engendered and actually enflamed this hate attitude.

There probably (YMMV) was nothing fundamentally wrong with Japan's technical base or engineering talent AFAIK in OTL. They were capable of assigning sufficient design talent to domestically develop or reverse engineer a host of solutions to produce the equipment in variety that they thought they needed. In the case of the IJA the limiter was probably financial, raw materials access and industrial base allocated to them and not the lack of capability.
I was thinking of Japan's national talent pool. That is, the ability to design (or reverse-engineer) a Jupiter, but not the "bench strength" to go from that to an R2800 or R3350. Compare the U.S. & Britain. You're right, money may've been a factor, but IMO not the deciding one: the A6M was at the limit of Japan's engineering, by appearances, & that reveals a systemic weakness--not limited to IJN or IJA per se.
The Japanese government until the militarists took over and ran amok, more or less followed a British style military policy which was to concentrate its capital investment into its navy for self defense. Usually this was 35% or more of the government budget. Again this is not out of keeping with early British practice. As a result, Japanese heavy industry was technically and productively oriented toward mercantile and naval requirements. There was a huge, relative to the size of the economy as a whole, and quite advanced shipbuilding industry. It was larger than France's production base in this regard. For the land army, the IJA, which was mainly a peasant (farmer boys) based infantry army, the needs are far simpler in the military environment Japan faces in the 1920s and early 1930s. Aircraft are useful and these are quite well developed within the engine technology and air frame science Japan's engineers know to the point where their aircraft become and remain competitive with the best European designs until Japan's defeat. This includes jet propelled aircraft by the way. Their navy, well let us just say the Japanese were technically a parity power and that the USN was still trying to catch up with Japanese weaponry and technical methods in IJN place in 1943 all the way to 1953.

The IJA, like the British and American army compeers was left with table scraps. The Imperial Japanese Army had to make do with about 1/10 the financial capital investment and 1/3 the capital budget the IJN received. Most of the IJA's capital went into aviation. This mirrors the American interwar example. Of course the same aviation design and production capability that serves the IJN also serves the IJA aviation service, so it is no surprise that the aircraft are similar in performance and results. What is weird is that both services insisted on their own pilot training methods and aircraft armaments and had their favorite manufacturers. Kind of an inter-service politics run amok kind of thing not too dis-similar from what hobbles the Americans interwar, Ever wonder why the USN lacked a shore based anti-ship strike capability comparable to the IJN's Rikkos? Politics. It hobbled IJA aviation.
All true, & I may be overlooking these as important factors...
And then there is the weird IJA internal politics. There were two factions inside the IJA, the "technicals" and the "spirituals". The technicals wanted a small professional army armed with the best war machines that the IJA budget could purchase, used by the best trained volunteer army the operating budget would allow. This is why one sees the large variety, but not the large numerical quantity of motorized equipment the IJA has designed and produced for it. There is some British influence going on here. Then there are the spirituals, who have drunk the French army pre-WW1 Kool-Aid, of all offense ALL THE TIME, who also mis-remember that it was human wave assaults that carried the Russian trenches in the Russo-Japanese war. They forgot that the Japanese army had gone out of its way, during that war to learn how to use heavy artillery preparatory fires, and had bought and used ten times as many machine guns in offense and defense as the Russians had. Plus the Tsar's soldiers were incompetently led, badly motivated (still fought hard) and rather poorly equipped compared to the superb IJA of the era. The spirituals were trying to replicate a "people's army" success on the cheap using the wrong metrics. Hence they argued infantry mass and offensive spirit could overcome enemy defense. Khalkin Gol was the wakeup call where the Russians, with a frankly still incompetently led army showed that even a moderate technical superiority in logistics and equipment will make up for a lot of sins (cough US Army, cough), and suddenly the spirituals, who have run the IJA off the rails, started the China war and gone lunatic imperialist over the technicals objections, realize that the technicals may have been sort of right. It is 1939-1940 though, and it takes an army a decade or so to learn from a defeat. (Kasserine Pass took that long. One still sees the Fort Knox and Fort Benning schools trying to fix mistakes all the way into Korea. McP.). One notices a flurry of technical projects rushed through such as new artillery, new tanks and new machine guns and a shift into defensive training and thinking. But this happens from 1940-1945 and a little war is in progress. Oops.
Again true. This time, I wonder how much of that was forced on them by virtue of being left with mere scraps, & how much was thanks to deeply incompetent education & training of SOs. (You really can't imagine how bad it was.:eek::eek::eek: )

The idea of attack all the time wasn't limited to IJA, either. Why both forces adopted such a very mistaken approach, IDK (tho I do think IJN's equally terrible SOs had something to do with it :rolleyes: ).

Japan was saddled with the worst officers of the 20th Century, IMO (I might put the Sovs lower, but it's a close call, because they got better)--& blessed with the bravest, most dedicated manpower, who damn well deserved a lot better than they got.