INDIANA JONES 4

WI Spielberg had decided to do INDY 4 ASAP after THE LAST CRUSADE came out back in 1989 ? What sorta plots would you guys speculate could've been in the new Indy movie ?

Thande

Donor
Spear of Destiny perhaps? (Using the conspiracy theory that the one in Vienna is an SS or American fake).

- or have the Vienna one be real and Indy has to infiltrate the Reich and replace it with a fake so Hitler starts losing the war, perhaps?

Atlantis. Definetely Atlantis. Heck, that game "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" would make a pretty good film as a matter of fact.

Guys-Lucas now has the script for Indy 4.All they need is for Spielberg and Ford to sign on.Don't know what the story is.BTW there were a series of Indy stories-novels published a few years ago-Bantam or DAW books.One involved Noah's Ark and another the Spear of Destiny.

Indiana Jones needs really needs Nazis to succeed. IJ2 sucked IMHO because it departed from the original (and #3) by having non-nazi bad guys and a non-judeochristian (or non western at least) mythic backstory.

Had they made IJ4 right after #3 it could include elements of Norse paganism (Nazi mumbojumbo Castle Wolfenstein stuff), and perhaps tie this in with Excalibre or conjuring up some mythic beast blah blah. Atlantis, too, would be a neat one, maybe with super powered u-boats and nazis getting ahold of ancient abombs from a hidden seamount. If they made one now, it would virtually have to be set in the cold war and Soviets are just not anywhere as neat as nazis - unless you featured neo-nazis and that's just plain ridiculous.

But you just can't beat nazis being smitten by gung-ho americans and the God of the israelites (even including that big softie his Son).

Thande

Donor
Zommar said:
Indiana Jones needs really needs Nazis to succeed. IJ2 sucked IMHO because it departed from the original (and #3) by having non-nazi bad guys and a non-judeochristian (or non western at least) mythic backstory.

Agreed. Hence my suggestion of the Spear of Destiny (it even has a ready made Nazi connexion).

Personally I think IJ4 will be more akin to IJ2, set in some part of the world no one knows (or cares) about, with a typical local evil dictator type trying to go for... whatever he goes for. Maybe it will be set in the Middle East, given the current hot topic of the day... maybe somewhere else. The Soviets, despite all the bad press and their actions, were not near as "evil" on the scale of Nazis.

Alternatively, it could be a rip on Da Vinci Code, or something like this... in which case it will get interesting. Having a conspiracy that controls just about everyone/everything be the villans... now that has the potential of matching up to the first three films. Have the Cold War be an invention of that conspiracy for whatever reason... have them be the people behind the Nazis, USSR, and some of the most idiotic WWII blunders (French strategy of doing nothing for a year, while Germany had a free hand, for one) - or whatever other conspiracy theory one can think of. The Illuminati, or the like, always make good villains :(

A problem I have with the "DaVinci Code" like suggestion is that it would be a human conspiracy. What made IJ1 and IJ3 so good (at least for me) was the unabashed premise there was a real spiritual power behind the Jewish and Christian scriptures/traditions. Having an element of the church be behind things like the nazis is just too modernist and secularist for me. Indiana Jones has to stay with the credulous '30's to work.