In Britannia Salutem

454 AD
Marius

Marius was at Lindum when he received two rather weary messengers. The first was a message from Cador. It brought a smile to Marius’ face for some reason the other two fleets of Suetids both had landed near the old Roman port of Riduna. It had been either supreme confidence in their abilities or because they didn’t want to waste time looking for another landing beach thus giving the Britons time to organise.

Whatever the reason, it had turned into a disaster for the Suetids. Cador had forced marched from Portus Aderni and had managed to arrive at Riduna whilst the landing was still taking place. He hadn’t wasted any time but had hit them hard and fast. Although the Suetids had fought bravely and with some discipline the chaos of the landing beach had acted against them and the battle had turned into a massacre. Cador reported that only a few warriors had escaped into the countryside and they were currently being hunted down. The vast majority of the menfolk at the landing had been slain but again Cador reported that the surviving women and children were at least malnourished if not actually starving. He had decided to keep them together at Riduna until it was decided what to do with them, Cador reported that they were a pitiful sight and it even gave him pause for thought. He was remarshalling his troops and preparing to march wherever he was needed.

The second messenger was a rather weary boy sent by Dagobert. A third Suetid fleet had sailed into the Tamesis Estuary and had landed at Durobrivae. Dagobert has shadowed the fleet as it travelled along the Tamesis and when he knew where the landing site would be had sent messages to Marius, Cador, Utha and to Petronius who was in charge of the garrisons at Rutupiae and Regulbium. Marius knew that Petronius would not be happy at Dagobert having got past him and his patrols but he would realise that the Suetids were the first concern and organise accordingly. Certainly he was good enough to bottle the Suetids up near Durobrivae if he got there fast enough.

Marius frowned, landing at Durobrivae made no sense. Any force landing there would be easily contained unless they were expecting no resistance. That actually began to make sense of the situation if these were the Suetids that had taken the Angles east then they might not have heard of the defeat of the landing in Deira (certainly no ships had left the landing beaches) and be expecting all British forces to be engaged elsewhere, Then Durobrivae was a good place to land and organise a march on Caer Lond.

Anyway he had to deal with the situation as it was panning out. He sent for his commanders and started to organise a quick march south. Thank God he had been reached at Lindum, he had been intending to march north to the wall. If he had been there the situation would have been much worse. Even so it would be the best part of a week before his forces would be in place. A lot could happen in a week!

Uh Oh!

Anyway he had to deal with the situation as it was panning out. He sent for his commanders and started to organise a quick march south. Thank God he had been reached at Lindum, he had been intending to march north to the wall. If he had been there the situation would have been much worse. Even so it would be the best part of a week before his forces would be in place. A lot could happen in a week!

Given our esteemed host's penchant for sudden twists, this could turn out badly.
Very badly.

Carry On and Stay The Course.

454 AD
The Old Woman

The Old Woman was worried. Niniane had had a bad winter as she struggled with her returning memories of her life as Morgause. Interestingly it was the worry about her children that caused the most problems. The Old Woman was happy about this because it showed that Morgause, despite her reputation, was not evil just a woman out to do the best possible for her children albeit riding roughshod over those who opposed her plans.

When spring finally came, Niniane had finally come to terms with her old life.

“I was a bitch but not evil” was her conclusion

“I can live with that”

The Old Woman nodded in agreement. Like Niniane she had her own past and demons with which she had had to wrestle. Truth be told it had taken her longer as she had done some truly despicable things in her past life, some of which still gave her nightmares.

They were walking through the woods gathering firewood when they both heard approaching horsemen. They looked around but couldn’t find anywhere suitable to hide.

A few minutes later the horsemen came into view. They were led by a young man who looked exceptionally worried. He pulled up his horse when he saw them, dismounted and much to their astonishment bowed.

“I take it that you are the two wise women and healers that the villagers talked about.”

The Old Woman nodded but kept silent. Niniane likewise.

“Good” continued the young man “We have need of your services. Our leader fell off his horse and the wounds are not healing as they should. Please come with us and heal him, he’s an old man and he’s fading fast.”

The Old Woman finally spoke

“Who is he and who are you?”

“He’s Urien and I’m his grandson Cai”

The Old Woman stood still in shock

Urien had been one of the reasons that she had created this new life for herself north of the wall. Still she bore him no ill will and agreed to go with the men. Cai was looking closely at Niniane.

“What is your name?” he asked.

“Niniane my Lord. What is wrong?”

“Oh nothing” stammered Cai who was obviously smitten with her, like most of the men in the village!

“You just remind me of someone.”

“Come on then. We need to pick up some supplies from our cave.”

The old woman spoke and began to walk quickly lest Cai or Niniane say too much.

When they reached the cave the Old Woman whispered to Niniane

“It might be a good idea if you stay here. This Cai obviously thinks that you look like Morgause. Had you ever met?”

“Yes” replied Niniane “but it must have been 10 years ago when we visited Urien in Luguvalium.”

Niniane continued

“but I’m coming with you. He will eventually figure it out. None of Urien’s family are stupid.”

“Oh I’m not so sure” chuckled the Old Woman “One at least was easily led.”

Niniane looked closely at the Old Woman. Suddenly she smiled.

“I thought that you looked familiar, although like Cai with me I was a young child when I met you.”

“Yes, now that’s settled lets go and try to heal Urien. His people need him. He’s been a rock upon which they’ve rebuilt their lives the past 40 or so years. I had my differences with him and his wife then, but none of that matters now!”

So the two women, who both had pasts that were about to come to light again, went out to save Urien.

454 AD
Marcus

Marcus pulled up his horse and looked with horror at the scene which he beheld. Wulfhere and Garaidh of the Damnoni also looked down at the scene. They had led a scouting party north from the Antonine wall. Artos, and to a lesser extent Ebissa had been worried by the lack of news which had come from the north. There had always been a limited amount of contact with the Picts usually lone huntsmen who had come to trade furs for supplies, however even these contacts had not restarted with the arrival of spring. Artos not wishing to commit his troops in the wrong direction had finally got Ebissa to agree to this scouting party to find where the Suetids were based and also to make contact with the Picts to see if they were at least willing to act as guides through their territory.

The ride north had been depressing. They had passed through several villages which had been destroyed with only dead bodies left. These bodies had included women and children. It was as if the Suetids had decided to try and wipe the inhabitants off the face of the Earth. Garaidh had commented that all that the Suetids would have achieved is that the Picts would have declared a Holy War against them. Such areas which would have supported a crop of oats or barley were unploughed and there was no sign of any livestock except a few chickens in some villages. There were no signs of any cattle, sheep, goats nor indeed dogs.

So the scouting party had continued north. They had suspected something when they had seen flocks of crows and ravens in the distance and had increased their pace until they had ridden into this valley. The valley was literally filled with dead men both Pict and Suetid. There must have been well over a thousand corpses in view.

Marcus crossed himself and looked at the other two.

“What happened here? I mean I know that there must have been a battle between the Picts and Suetids but how on earth did the Suetids allow themselves to be trapped here?”

Wulfhere shrugged

“I don’t know but the signs over the past few miles show that the Picts harassed them into this valley. I assume that they were not too bothered as they would have expected to be able to get out at the other end. I won’t be able to say more until we’ve had a closer look.”

Garaidh nodded his agreement.

“It looks as if the Picts were able to choose the battle ground to suit themselves rather than the Suetids. This valley is too narrow to allow the tactics that the Suetids appear to have preferred given the reports from Aelle, Artos and Marius.”

Marcus shook his head and urged his horse forward the scouting party following behind. The stench when they reached the valley bottom was overpowering and flocks of crows flapped away cawing their disapproval at being disturbed. Several wolf packs also slunk away with the arrival of the horsemen.

They picked their way distastefully through the bodies. If anything there were more Picts than Suetids amongst the slain. Finally one of the Damnoni scouts who had travelled in this land before the forced migration south came back with news.

“It seems that one small detachment of Suetids did escape. You can see the signs over in the east of the valley. They seem to have rallied and cut their way out from this disaster. There are also signs of Picts following them.”

“We’d better follow the signs then” said Wulfhere. Marcus and Garaidh nodded but Garaidh added

“We ought to put out outriders. If the Picts are this worked up then they may well attack us before they realise that we are not Suetids. They were not always that hospitable before, they’ll be less so inclined after this!”

The party slowly rode to where the Suetids had cut their way free and followed the trail. It was easy to follow as every so often they would come across dead bodies usually Suetid but occasionally Pictish as well. When they rode down into the next valley they continued to find dead bodies but far fewer were Picts. Eventually they came upon a small hill upon which they found the rest of the Suetids.

“It appears that they made their last stand here” said Wulfhere.

“They were trapped as there is marshy ground all around which would make maintaining any sort of formation all but impossible.”

Marcus shook his head

“It’s as if history has repeated itself!”

Garaidh and Wulfhere looked at him in surprise but a light of understanding did dawn in Garaidh’s eyes.

“You mean like the Hispana”

At this even Wulfhere understood

“Oh, the IXth. Ja, even we Saxons know of that legend.”

Marcus smiled a little sadly

“It’s no legend. Ask Quintus when we report back.”

Marcus continued

"Well we can do nothing more we had better return and report our findings. Although I’d rather find another way back south, I don’t want to return to that valley.”

With that the scouting party rode on. After a while, whilst riding through some woods, Wulfhere turned to Garaidh.

“Do you feel it as well?”

Garaidh nodded and carefully loosened his sword in its sheath.

“Sa, we’ve been watched for the last half hour or so. As I can’t see them I assume that it is the Picts.”

As they came out of the woods they were met by a volley of arrows.

Hecatee

Donor
Ouch. Well that should spell the end for the Suetids, could make for nice legends later in time... At least if the southern confederates make it back home !

454 AD
Huil

Huil looked at the messenger from Lutetia with some surprise.

“Exactly what happened?”

The messenger nervously licked his lips, he had not expected to be questioned so closely about the message which he had brought. He decided that the best way to prolong his life, some of Huil’s guards were rather obviously loosening their swords, was to tell the truth, well as much of it as he knew.

“The general Ricimer met the Franks under Childeric at Aduatuca. It rapidly turned from a peaceful parley into a battle between the two parties. The Romans were victorious killing Childeric and those adult relatives who accompanied him. Unfortunately Ricimer was badly wounded in the battle. The Comes Paulinus assumed command and drove the remaining Franks back across the Rhenus with great slaughter. Only a few made it across the river.”

Huil leaned back in his chair and blew a sigh of relief.

“So the Franks are finished as a threat for at least a generation.”

His brother Caw nodded in agreement

“And that is assuming that they are allowed to regroup. Other tribes will take advantage of this defeat. The Burgundii and Allemanni just to name two.”

Huil stood up and dismissed the messenger who scurried away thankful to still be alive.

“The threat from across the Rhenus is still there although it will have changed in character. I would also imagine that the Visigoths to our south are not unhappy at this outcome. They will think that they have got an even freer hand than they had before. Paulinus is many things but he is not as good a general or leader as Ricimer. Well we have at least got a breathing space in which to prepare for the next incursion.”

He turned to Caw

“Has that witch left for Rome?”

“Sa, spitting venom at the start at being moved again. However one of the Romans said something to her and she calmed down considerably. However, I’m worried about that Cerdic. He might only be a young lad but those eyes! He is going to be one that carries grudges for a long time!”

“Well he’s someone else’s problem now. As is that witch.”

Huil then continued

“Has there been any further word from Cador?”

“Na, not since the news of his defeat of those Suetids at Riduna. We assume that he is waiting to hear where that third group have landed.”

“Nor have we heard anything about that expedition north of the wall, even though we received a message from Decidivatus in Venta a week ago.”

Huil grimaced

“I hope that it is going well. We need a strong Britannia to help protect us.”

Hecatee

Donor
Setting the Franks back in that way is a big change all of itself. Is any tribe in this timeline as large and powerful as they were ?

Childeric took over the Franks ITTL a few years earlier than OTL. He was still somewhat a headstrong teenager and he needed to cement his position. He decided that the Romans were not strong enough, given the recent regime change and an understandable preoccupation with the Vandals, to resist a land grab of the old province of Belgica (and perhaps more if he was lucky).
Unfortunately for him and the Franks it went badly wrong.

I think that the Visigoths will be the big winners ITTL unless Rome gets its act together and achieves some stability. Aetius (and lets be honest he is actually running the Empire, although his son is Emperor at this time he's not much more than a figure head) has made a sound start but so far it's just papering over the cracks. The WRE has major systemic problems and needs a root and branch reform. There are too many entrenched interests for just one strong man (however able and well intentioned) to be able to achieve this by this time without major problems.

Aetius is going to hit these big time as he gets older and Majorian and Gaudentius struggle for power.

As for Britannia, a lot now depends on Ebissa's reaction to the effective resolution of the Suetid problem and whether the British dose of Realpolitik survives. OTL the Britons were at least as prone to fighting themselves as the Angles and Saxons. The problem here will not be the current set of leaders but their sons/grandsons who will probably form some sort of "New Briton" movement, or if a current leader dies without a clear cut heir (and yes I am thinking of Artos!)

There is also an extra set of Angles out there who will have been shaped by their experiences with the Suetids (and subsequent ones) and will not be as amenable as those led by Aelle or even the Saxons led by Ebissa.

Last edited:
454 AD
Myrddin

Myrddin had read Ricimer’s and Paulinus’ reports about the meeting and defeat of the Franks with a growing sense of disbelief. What had happened at the Great Henge in Britannia had basically repeated in Belgica! He just didn’t believe it Childeric despite being still less than 20 wouldn’t have been provoked in that way. What little Myrddin knew about him pointed to him having a very level head (on admittedly young shoulders).

Also Paulinus was just not a good enough general to destroy anybody, inflict a defeat yes, but he was far too cautious to risk all on an attack not guaranteed to succeed. Aetius had apparently taken the reports as being truthful and although worried about Ricimer’s injuries had accepted at face value the apparent destruction of the Franks as a price worth paying. It would greatly ease the situation in Gaul.

Myrddin’s disbelief was born out when he received the reports from his spies in Ricimer’s army. There had indeed been some disagreements at the parley and there had been blood spilled but Childeric had just pulled his forces back over the Rhenus. There had been no wholesale slaughter nor had Ricimer been badly injured. Although his spies had no conclusive evidence, they strongly suspected that Ricimer and Childeric had come to some sort of understanding about land being granted to the Franks in Gaul in return for military support for an attempt at seizing power in the Empire.

That was much more likely in Myrddin’s opinion. Ricimer had been disgruntled at being left on the Limes instead of being involved in the campaign against the Vandals (although he had welcomed the position when first appointed). Myrddin had evidence of correspondence between Ricimer and those senators who were plotting to overthrow Aetius and Gaudentius and replace them with Libius Severus. Obviously they had bought Ricimer’s support by offering him the post of Magister Militum.

Myrddin took his suspicions to Aetius and had been mildly surprised to find that Aetius was not in the least surprised at his conclusions.

“I have trodden on too many toes not to have some of the Senate plotting against Me.” he had told Myrddin

“However I am surprised that Ricimer has thrown in with them. He has the ability to be a good Magister Militum, but he must know that he would have the same problems that Stilicho had though, not being Roman. Still he has to be dealt with. Since he is generally believed to be grievously wounded it would be no surprise if he seemed to have died from his wounds.”

Myrddin nodded in agreement

“However he won’t just let anybody into his presence, especially somebody who has come from you, not without protection.”

“Ah but what if this person came from his fellow plotters?”

Aetius smiled wryly at Myrddin

“I’ve been around the centre of power too long not to have picked up some “bad” habits Guitolinus. I’m sure that you can provide this person with the necessary information so as to be able to pass himself off as a messenger from them.”

Myrddin acknowledged that this was the case and the plan was put into motion.

Plots within plots within plots, here.

Aetius is learning all sorts of dark arts. Merlin must be proud! :D

It will be interesting to see what the Franks do if/when Ricimer dies. They were promised that land. Depending on how strong the legions on the Rhine are, and how well they cope with the loss of Ricimer, the Franks may decide that there's an opportunity to take by force that which they would have been given as payment.

454 AD
Urien

Urien drifted in and out of consciousness. Even when conscious he was only vaguely aware of what was going on around him. He knew that he was being tended by two women who both looked familiar although he couldn’t yet place them. They kept having whispered conversations of which he couldn’t understand a word although he did realise that they indicated some concern over his wellbeing.

He drifted back into unconsciousness, brief but vivid memories of his life kept resurfacing.

He was twenty again a keen and apparently good Centurion of the auxiliaries who manned the wall in his father’s area of control. He had risen to this position because of his ability not just because his father Coel had been appointed Governor of this part of Britannia. He was stood to attention in front of the Primus Pilus (they had kept the old legionary ranks despite not being regulars) Lucius Agitius who was looking at his orders with some disbelief.

“We’re being pulled out! Honorius has ordered that all remaining troops in Britannia would be better used elsewhere!”

Urien looked aghast

“Who will keep the Picts, Hibernians and the Sea Wolves back if we’re not here? We’re barely doing that now with us here. If we’re gone…”

Lucius nodded in agreement

“That’s true Virianus so with immediate effect you and most of the auxiliaries are dismissed from service as surplus to requirements. I can’t dismiss them all as I will have to arrive at Eboracum with some troops! I’ll keep those with no family connections in the area.”

Urien’s mind drifted again. It was now a decade later.

Urien stormed along the corridor to his brother’s quarters.

“What are you playing at Coel? We have to defeat the Picts whilst they’re on the other side of the wall.”

Coel looked at him with disdain

“We can barely defend ourselves. We can’t afford to go gallivanting across the wall and defending those who are not our own. If your head was in reality instead of still being a Roman Centurion (Coel made this sound like an insult) you would realise this.”

“Well if you were your own man instead of dancing to that witch’s command you would remember that the best form of defence is offence!”

“That witch is my wife!”

Urien drifted again.

It was now a year later. Coel was dying from wounds sustained from fighting the Picts when they swarmed across the wall. Urien had been able to defeat them (just!) with help from Marcus Aurelianus the Leader of Deva. Coel had summoned Urien to his side.

“You were right Little Brother. I’m naming you as my heir as I have no sons. Despite our differences I am sure of one thing. You will defend our people to the best of your ability even unto your death.”

With that Coel had died

Other scenes flashed through Urien’s mind. The Civil War between the Roman Party and Vortigern. The break up between the previously inseparable cousins Utha and Ambrosius. That last Pictish incursion which had needed those damned Saxons to defeat.

Urien swam back to consciousness. He blinked and the room slowly came into focus. There were two women fussing over him, an old woman and one young enough to be her daughter. He started, he recognised them both! He tried to rouse himself and shout for help. What came out was

“You!”

The old woman smiled tiredly

“Urien, if we had wanted you dead you would be dead instead of being just scared. Now be careful or you will pull those stitches out again!”

Urien’s head sank back onto the bed. He was being cared for by the two women who had most cause to hate him. His brother’s wife Ygerna and Morgause the wife of Lot!

Last edited:
Thank you for another good update. Bolding the flashbacks does make it easier to follow.

Hoping the next one will be soon.

454 AD
Marcus

Marcus pulled his horse up as did the others. The volley of arrows had not been meant to hit them just to stop them from coming any further. There was a body of Picts about 100 strong facing them a bowshot in front. It would be suicide to charge them as the bowmen already had arrows drawn and ready to fire but in any case Marcus had no intention of doing so. He and the others just sat on their horses and waited.

Eventually a Pict rather better armed and armoured than the rest of them pushed his way forward. Marcus watched him with interest unless his eyes deceived him this Pict was wearing what remained of old Roman armour and certainly bore one of the old legionary shields!

This Pict walked up to their horses and stared up at them with no fear in his eyes.

“What do you southerners want?” he asked. His language was strange but not unintelligible.

Marcus looked at the others, shrugged and replied

“We were scouting for the Suetids. We are part of a force of Britons and Saxons which have come north of the Antonine Wall to deal with them. It would seem that you have already dealt with them given what we found in the valley back there.”

Here he gestured back towards the valley from which they had just come.
The Pict nodded

“That we have although at great cost to ourselves. There are still nests of them in the old Taexali lands.”

Here he looked almost sheepish as he continued

“We no longer have the strength to clear them out although we could keep them penned in that area.”

The Pict then thought for a while and came to a decision.

“We need you but we don’t trust you. I had better go back with you. Who leads your men?”

“Artos leads the Britons and Ebissa the Saxons”

“We have heard of both. They are both warriors that is good”

The Pict turned round and walked back to his men. There was an obviously heated discussion but the leader cut it short with a chopping motion of his hand. He left his Roman shield but came back carrying a small wooden shield and leading a horse.

“You will have safe passage back to your leaders but if you return without me you will be attacked.”

With that he mounted, signalled to his men who melted back into the countryside and then wheeled south.

“Come on then. There are decisions to be made”

The Pict then galloped south.

Marcus looked at the others and shrugged his shoulders

“We’d better catch him up. If he meets any of our forces without us there he’ll end up dead.”

So the companions also started south.

PS Unusually for me I'm now going to plug someone else's thread!
If you haven't already read Tom Colton's Arturius Aurelianus(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=382974) then do so. It is a very different take on this period to mine but well worth reading.

Last edited:

Hecatee

Donor
Reminds me of the movie King Arthur, the scene only lacks a nice lady painted in woad and otherwise scantily clad :p
I am somewhat surprised the picts did actually confess to their weakness, and by their realpolitik attitude, which seems to be in many ways the main attitude of your main characters

454 AD
Marius and Cador

Marius sat with Cador on a hillside overlooking the Suetid encampment. Unfortunately Cador, although he had marched with all possible speed had arrived too late to attack the Suetids when they were still organising themselves. He had been very surprised however to find that they had thrown up earth ramparts to act as defences. He had wondered whom they were defending themselves against. He had had his answer soon after his arrival. The old Frank Dagobert had turned up. He had arrived nearly as the Suetids had landed.

Knowing that as he only had twenty men with him, some of whom were grandfathers of the youngest, he didn’t attack. Instead he just set up 10 or so campfires just on the edge of the area and roped in some local villagers to help. Much to Dagobert’s surprise the Suetids had thought that the Britons had arrived in force and so concentrated on building defences rather than breaking out. As the advance parties of Cador’s, Petronius’ and Marius’ forces had arrived the villagers had been sent back home. What really surprised both Cador and Marius was that their troops had accepted Dagobert’s orders without question.

It was Petronius who had given them the reason.

“Dagobert is wearing Roman armour. They assumed that he was a local leader.”

Marius then asked

“How did he have Roman armour? He served Chlodio, Chilobert’s grandfather!”

“Ah, but he had also served under Constantine.” replied Petronius.

“That makes him in his sixties!”

“Sa, I hope that I’m as healthy when I’m his age!”

Marius thought back to that conversation now as he sat with Cador. When they had arrived they had set about killing any scouting or foraging party that the Suetids had eventually tried sending out. There had been no such attempts for the last couple of days.

“What are they waiting for?” asked Cador

“I’d assume a relief force from those you destroyed at Riduna.” answered Marius. “They don’t know what happened to them.”

“Well, they must be nearly out of food by now.” continued Cador. “They’ve got to try something soon or they’ll be in no condition to try anything.”

“Sa” replied Marius “however I have an idea. Do you have any of their standards from Riduna?”

“Sa, why?”

“We’re going to parley with them. We can’t attack them without massive losses over that rampart. We don’t have any ballistae to burn them out so we try something else first. If they realise that they’re on their own they may just reload their boats and go away.”

“Sa, but where to?”

“I don’t care as long as it’s not in Britannia.”

So Cador had some of the Suetid standards brought to him and he and Marius rode out to just over a bowshot of the Suetid’s ramparts bearing the symbols for a parley but making sure that the captured standards were in plain sight.

After a long wait, here was movement from the Suetid side and a warrior in his middle years approached them. He spoke passable Latin so they could understand him.

“Have you come to surrender then?”

“Na, but neither have we come to ask for yours. If this comes to battle there can be only one result now. You are short of food and are now heavily outnumbered. We’d much rather not lose our troops in such a battle but fight it we will if we must.”

The Suetid looked at the standards that they were carrying.

“Well it would seem that our hoped for relief won’t be arriving. However that doesn’t change anything. We are Suetids, we come and go as we please. We certainly won’t go because the last leavings of Rome tell us to!”

“So it’s war then” replied Marius.

“To the final man, woman and child” was the reply.

With that the Suetid turned his back on them and went back to the encampment.

Hecatee

Donor
Gotterdamerung of the Suetids seems coming... At least the survivors may make good slaves for the british farmers...

454 AD
Ebissa

Ebissa stood in what remained of the Suetid encampment and frowned. It was the same as the other two that they had found on the march north. They were full of bodies both Pict and Suetid but most tellingly there were no boats! His scouts had examined the scene closely and were now coming back to report to him. The back of his neck itched, something was wrong but he couldn’t yet say what it was that was making his subconscious work overtime. Well better to be safe than sorry. He turned round and spoke to Marcus who led the British Cavalry that had accompanied him.

“There is something wrong here. Mount a patrol up to the woods and look carefully. This isn’t what we were expecting. Most of all be careful.”

“You suspect a trap.”

This wasn’t a question but a statement.

“Ja. Now get that patrol organised.”

Marcus nodded and went off and issued orders.

In the meantime Wulfhere and the other scouts came to him.

“Lord” started Wulfhere “There was a battle here as can be seen from the corpses. However there were enough Suetid men left to be able to relaunch their boats and leave with all their women and children. By the signs it would seem to have been about a month or so ago, just when we met that Pict.”

Ebissa nodded

“It seems that they did want to draw us up here and destroy us as they did the main Suetid force.”

He turned to his commanders

“I want the men ready to leave within an hour. We’ll wait for that patrol to come back and then go.”

After an hour the British Cavalry patrol came back.

Marcus came up to Ebissa and said

“We didn’t see anything but something is very wrong. The woods are far too quiet.”

Ebissa came to a decision.

“We leave now. This place isn’t defensible but the first encampment that we came to is and has a spring for fresh water.”

He turned and looked south

“Marcus I want your most wood crafty men and some on fast horses to head south. If we are wrong then they will reach Artos quickly. If we’re right then one or more of them or my scouts might reach him and bring help. By my guess he should be a day south of that first encampment by now.”

Marcus looked surprised and Ebissa grinned

“You don’t think that we fully trusted that Pict did you. I remember the battles with them when we first arrived in Britannia and certainly that Damnoni, Garaidh, kept telling us that there was something wrong and that the Pict shouldn’t be trusted. I must admit however that I expected to have been attacked before now!”

The men picked by Marcus and some of Ebissa’s best scouts including Wulfhere slipped away when the march south started. It was actually very difficult to achieve the right sort of appearance. Ebissa wanted his men to look as if they hadn’t a care in the world and were marching casually back south just relieved to have not had to fight a battle. Certainly they shouldn’t look as if they expected an ambush!

If they made it back to that first encampment without being attacked then he was going to sit tight and wait for Artos. The route further to the south was too full of places were an ambush could be set for it to be worth risking a force comprised mainly of infantry.

Luckily the woods tended to be over a bowshot from the coast so the Saxons and Britons kept as close as they could to the shoreline. They passed the second Suetid encampment without trouble and were a few stadia to the north of the first encampment when they were attacked. The Picts that did so were easily despatched but it became a continual battle as small Pict forces would attack one after the other. The Saxons suffered few casualties but were slowed down so that it was nightfall as they reached the encampment. Ebissa cursed there was no time to set up any sort of extra defences they would have to depend on the fence that the Suetids had built.

The first attack came before the moon had risen. The Picts swarmed from the woods and tried to clamber over the fence. It was a hard fought hand to hand battle but after an hour or so they were repulsed. It happened again after midnight when clouds had obscured the moon. This time it took longer to repel them and there were more casualties both amongst the Saxons and the Britons. After that second attack the Picts kept probing the defences for the rest of the night so nobody had any sleep. When dawn broke the Picts attacked again. This time they broke through the fence and it took a long time to force them back. Casualties were mounting and Ebissa had wounds to his arms and legs. He looked south

“Where in Woden’s name is Artos?” he muttered.

He looked around, they could defend this place for another day at most given the current rate of attrition. He had to admit if their positions had been reversed he would have waited for the Picts to finish Artos off and then hit them whilst they were celebrating their victory. He just had to hope that Artos had not had the same idea or that if he had that he was too honourable to implement it!

Hecatee

Donor
Well after one betrayal why not a second... Although it does not seem to be the kind of Artos character you've depicting until now.
You like to let us hang in waiting, don't you ? :)