Improve the Singapore Strategy

Rabaul is volcanically active. According to the volcano discovery website it has one of the most active and most dangerous volcanos in Papua New Guinea. The volcano actually erupted in 1937: https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/rabaul-tavurvur.html
From a 2019 point of view I certainly wouldn't try to build anything there in terms of a fleet base prior to the 1937 eruption.

Thanks for that LMCL. I knew (know) Rabaul is volcanic in origin, I had to idea it was still active, or active so recently!

MatthewB

Banned
No rail or all weather road connection. All supply by sea, may as well be an island.
Doesn’t that describe Malaya? It took the Japanese to get Malaya’s orphan railway to connect with the rail in Burma, and the British never managed to connect Burma and India by rail. Malaya might as well be an island.

Thanks for that LMCL. I knew (know) Rabaul is volcanic in origin, I had to idea it was still active, or active so recently!
I don't know if you checked the webpage, but it did it again (erupted) in 1994 - but that's a bit outside the scope of this discussion; the 1937 one, on the other hand, is pertinent.

Doesn’t that describe Malaya? It took the Japanese to get Malaya’s orphan railway to connect with the rail in Burma, and the British never managed to connect Burma and India by rail. Malaya might as well be an island.

Maybe that's what you could spend your money on?

A Singapore to Burma railway (although were does the Burma railway go in terms of India?

Although is it not more economical to ship it in?

Putting Ceylon, India and Burma aside, what alternative Pacific locations for the RN’s base? Britain has many large territories between Malaya and Australia, including Sarawak (Brooke family will protest), PNG and the Solomons.
lots of other places (islands in IO?) I think all of the above are to far east?

I'm not talking about abandoning Singapore or it's base. I'm merely talking about stopping the inflation of the political importance of Singapore that happened between 1940 en 1942. It was only in that period that Singapore became the end all be all of the British war effort in the region.
Not sure I agree once the base was decided on in 20s and built up its the key as its facilities cant be replaced anywhere near?
Its a "bit" more built up, so should have far more local facilities and supplies available?

I mean GB is itself an island just with far more stuff on it (o dear did I just start thinking of Pinnipedia....)

A few thoughts, I generally favor simple PODs in the not too distant past so this does not involve any changes in 1930s or the war up to that point. It is about making better use of available resources. Note, many of these are not my ideas, I am stealing them from others like Cryhavoc01 and we've hashed a number of these out on various threads and are generally things the British can begin putting in motion beginning in late 1940 after FIC is occupied in September. I am also keeping in mind force availability and the fact that Singapore is still at peace in 1940 and 1941 and therefore will not get the best stuff so there is a lot of make do with what you have in here:

Airpower - you need fighters, reconnaissance aircraft, and attack aircraft capable of sinking ships:
- Release four squadrons of Spitfires from the Home Islands for duty on Malta, permitting four Hurricane squadrons (No. 242, No. 249, No. 126, No. 185) for duty in Malaya. These are in addition to the five Brewster Buffalo squadrons sent to Malaya (No. 21, No. 243, No. 453, No. 67, No. 488/RNZAF).
- For a 10th fighter squadron, get the SAAF to cough of one of its P-36 squadrons (No. 3 or No. 4) for duty in Malaya.
- Instead of using the 50 Vought Vindicator dive bombers imported from the US as trainers, send them to Malaya to be land based dive bombers manned by FAA crews, this is enough for two squadrons plus spares.
- The Blackburn Skua was removed from the carriers in 1941, form two land based squadrons in Malaya as dive bomber squadrons, not fighter squadrons.
- There were still four operational Fairey Battle Squadrons into 1941 (No. 88, No. 98, No. 226, and No. 11/SAAF), the three RAF squadrons were all with Coastal Command serving in Ireland and Iceland, so stand up a couple of Battle Squadrons in Malaya for maritime patrol and anti-shipping missions.
- You still have your four Blenheim squadrons and two Hudson squadrons plus your small number of PBYs.
- The two Vickers Vildebeest squadrons (No. 36 and No. 100) are used as source of trained crews to round out the new squadrons standing up.
- Send the Vickers Wellesley equipped No. 47 Squadron from East Africa to Malaya for long range maritime patrol (a job it did in the Mediterranean for a good chunk of 1942).
- Logistics, logistics, logistics, an effort needs to be made throughout 1941 to acquire spare parts, tools, and other necessary components for keeping an air force in fighting shape.
- Get an experienced and qualified commander, my vote is Air Vice Marshal Quinton Brand, a South African who commanded No. 10 Group in the Battle of Britain and was a disciple of Dowding and Park, his main task of course will be to organize an air defense system for the peninsula.

Ground Forces - you need some better troops and armor, I appreciate other suggestions as well:
- Pull the British, Canadian, and Indian troops in Hong Kong out of that colony and send them to Malaya, this is a no brainer.
- As others have suggested, send whatever second or third rate tanks you can scrape up to Malaya to form an armored brigade (or two).
- Get a commander who will make do with what he has, train the snot out of his troops, and not give a lick about hurting the feelings of pompous colonial officials, yeah probably Montgomery here.
- Build fortifications on the island, you just might have to retreat to there.
- Other than the units on Hong Kong, I'm not sure what other ground forces might be available to send to Singapore at this time, maybe the third brigade of the 8th Australian Division?

I'll get you some other things and naval stuff in another post, I have to divert to making dinner now. Again, none of these things by themselves are war winners and some of what I am suggesting involves aircraft that are not world beaters by any stretch but are a damn sight better than what they had OTL and certainly a damn sight better than nothing.

I need time to respond to this with facts. I know because I did research on what military equipment and groups could have been sent. One thing I know is that 2 generals that could have been sent was Field Marshal William Edward Ironside as overall commander then Percival. Lieutenant General Arthur Ernest Percival as commander of Malaya Command and Major General Adrian Carton de Wiart as Deputy commander of the forces. The Air Vice Marshal will still be Conway Walter Heath Pulford and with Ironside will get his air force even though not alot of fighters, but dive bombers and torpedoe planes.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
At the end of the day, the Singapore strategy is a grand strategy issue. All the tactical and operational discussions in the thread failed touch upon the crux of the matter.

Singapore is a Grand Strategy issue, however prior Operations limited Britain's options when pursuing Grand Strategy. The operational losses in Med theatre in particular soaked up resources that could have been used in the Far East.

However I don't know if this is as cut and dry as people suspect given the capability of the British 2nd Armoured Division facing Rommel's Operation Sonnenblume. Certainly the British aren't going to be able to tie up the Med in mid 1941, although they could have been in a better position than OTL.

2 years are very short time as ship-building, as guided by war planning, need some leap time. By 1938, British ship building would be in progress as guided by the rearmament plans. Sudden changes to planning may actually delayed ship building further.

I'm not talking about changing ship building timelines, I'm talking about starting to ask some hard questions, like, "What if the Malay Barrier can't be held?" This then naturally leads to natural conclusion that the facilities in Colombo or Trincomalee need to be improved because that is where the fleet will have to fall back to. It also means developing the facilities in the next line of bases on an arc stretching from Akyab, Port Blair, Christmas Island, and the Cocos Islands (yes I am drawing from my TL here) if Singapore falls and the DEI are compromised, that line of bases becomes the front line.

I need time to respond to this with facts. I know because I did research on what military equipment and groups could have been sent. One thing I know is that 2 generals that could have been sent was General William Edward Ironside as overall commander then Percival and General William Henrey Gott as commander of the forces.

Thanks, I've done a lot of research on the air and naval side but not so much on the ground side. My suggestions there mainly involved stealing from others like Cryhavoc01.

I would add that forces would be needed in Ambon, Timor and one other place that name eludes me right now (It was Rabaul) in order to try and ensure that they could be held.

As it was the locals were generally underequipped, undertrained and poorly led and the 'thinly' spread Commonwealth forces were not enough in each case to dfeat the Japanese efforts to capture them.

Having a fully leaded Brigade 'slice' at each location should allow the defenders to make a go of it.

That's an extra commonwealth division right there (and why the 3rd Brigade from 8th AI Division was not with its parent Division in Malaya as it was split across those 3 other areas in large battalion 'slices' to reinforce the local Dutch and other forces)

'I' would use the Hong Kong garrison and C force to reinforce 2 of the locations and then have the 3rd Australian Brigade from 8th Division concentrate on the what ever was deemed the most import of the 3 - unless it could be replaced - perhaps an earlier deployment from 18th (UK) Infantry Division - and allow the 8th to fight as a cohesive Division?

So the Hong Kong Brigade and Force C from Canada if still sent would be used for this role which unfortunately does not assist the defenders of Malaya but does make the Malaya Barrier a more realistic strategy especially if backed up with greater airpower

I like the idea of C Force at Rabaul along with the small Royal Marine and Free French contingents in Hong Kong. This has an interesting butterfly effect in that C Force will get its vehicles which they did not get OTL because the American ship bringing them to Hong Kong was diverted to Manila after the war started.

The British forces I would send to Malaya along with the third brigade of the 8th Australian Division. If we are doing a better job of defending places like Malaya and Rabaul then we can wait a little longer to scrape up forces to send to Ambon and Timor. The British forces from Hong Kong would be used to form the armored brigade which would get whatever tanks we can beg, borrow, or steal.

The two Indian battalions in Hong Kong would go to garrison Christmas Island and the Cocos Islands (yes, drawing from my TL again).

I like the idea of C Force at Rabaul along with the small Royal Marine and Free French contingents in Hong Kong. This has an interesting butterfly effect in that C Force will get its vehicles which they did not get OTL because the American ship bringing them to Hong Kong was diverted to Manila after the war started.

The British forces I would send to Malaya along with the third brigade of the 8th Australian Division. If we are doing a better job of defending places like Malaya and Rabaul then we can wait a little longer to scrape up forces to send to Ambon and Timor. The British forces from Hong Kong would be used to form the armored brigade which would get whatever tanks we can beg, borrow, or steal.

The two Indian battalions in Hong Kong would go to garrison Christmas Island and the Cocos Islands (yes, drawing from my TL again).

And I would have the 3 DDs (2 of which were converted into mine layers) move to Singapore and the 2 Insects and 6 MTBs move to Kota Bharu ready to respond to any local landings.

As for tanks hell I'd send 300 Covenanters - a bad tank is better than no tank.

Surely such a fleet would threaten any force in the region which includes British and US interests?

It is the old HMAS Australia/Fleet Unit theory. If I buy one big stick my enemy needs to buy/bring two big sticks to be sure of beating me. If that second big stick is being used against me in Area A, it means I or my ally in Area B doesn't have to worry about it and probably has superiority there. In this case if the Japanese have to commit 2 big ships to chase an inferior Dutch force that is 1 less ship the RN or USN have to worry about.
I don't fully buy the concept as it is a bit too much 3 Card Monte for my tastes, but it makes the money men happy.

To imagine the Empire you need to invert the map. The internal lines of communication are the sea, not the land. Singapore is on one of the busiest highways in the world.

Actually that should be stressed more. Today seaborne transport is a lot more efficient than land transport. 80 years ago it was even more so. Consider a country like the UK. All that high density railway, and it was still more efficient to run cargo through a contested English Channel during the war. Small ships ran up and down the coastlines of all continents supplying towns that would then supply the hinterland. This is why Singapore or Suez, or Panama mattered.

If you want tanks, send the Tetrarchs. They actually run (unlike the Covenanter) and aren't really up to par with the MkIII or later the Germans have. That gives you at least a hundred that are capable of dealing with the IJA tanks.

And I would have the 3 DDs (2 of which were converted into mine layers) move to Singapore and the 2 Insects and 6 MTBs move to Kota Bharu ready to respond to any local landings.

Yes, it goes without saying that any ships and planes in Hong Kong are sent to Malaya where they can find gainful employment.

It is the old HMAS Australia/Fleet Unit theory. If I buy one big stick my enemy needs to buy/bring two big sticks to be sure of beating me. If that second big stick is being used against me in Area A, it means I or my ally in Area B doesn't have to worry about it and probably has superiority there. In this case if the Japanese have to commit 2 big ships to chase an inferior Dutch force that is 1 less ship the RN or USN have to worry about.
I don't fully buy the concept as it is a bit too much 3 Card Monte for my tastes, but it makes the money men happy.

To imagine the Empire you need to invert the map. The internal lines of communication are the sea, not the land. Singapore is on one of the busiest highways in the world.

Actually that should be stressed more. Today seaborne transport is a lot more efficient than land transport. 80 years ago it was even more so. Consider a country like the UK. All that high density railway, and it was still more efficient to run cargo through a contested English Channel during the war. Small ships ran up and down the coastlines of all continents supplying towns that would then supply the hinterland. This is why Singapore or Suez, or Panama mattered.

Nothing changes, there is a saying from the 15th Century, "He who controls Malacca has his hand on the throat of Venice."

I can't find production dates, but would some of the 200-odd 2 Pounder Anti-tank Gun Carriers being used for training in Australia be available for deployment to Singapore/Malaya during this time?

and the 2 Insects ...move to Kota Bharu ready to respond to any local landings.
I would think they would die quickly to IJN if out east, far better to have them operate on the west cost where they they no surface opposition and can provide fire support with 6" guns if IJA drives down the cost.