Impact of a Confederate States of America

I know you guys have probably beaten this topic to death but I'm just wondering what you think the impact would be if the Union was forced into signing an armistice with the Confederacy in 1864 or 65 leading to the formation of the CSA. How would this additional government impact things like the Reconstruction and anti-slavery movement directly following the end of the war but also how would it impact things even today? Suppose there was a CSA bordering us to the south - occupying much of the southeast US. What changes would, in our present 2008, occur?

Well it'll depend upon the nature of the "victory" first & foremost, IMHO, as this will translate into what the CSA will be like for the first decade of independence which, inevitably, will set up what kind of country it'll be for the next 100 years. Once we know that, then we can have a means to assertain what impact the CSA could have on the USA & just about everyone else.

Late '64 ~'65, Suggests a Copperhead Victory.
Virginia and Georgia as the Industrial regions.
All the Changes, In the Occupied Areas, plus the Devastation, in the rest of the South.
Next 30 years spent in Rebuilding.

Anaxagoras

Banned
A major impact will be the Confederacy's relations with Europe. Would the Confederacy be an open ally of Britain and/or France? Would this be the end of the Monroe Doctrine? Many questions here.

A major impact will be the Confederacy's relations with Europe. Would the Confederacy be an open ally of Britain and/or France? Would this be the end of the Monroe Doctrine? Many questions here.

Its my belief the CSA would have close ties to Britain and France would have close ties to the USA. Britain was already a supporter of the CSA and France was more or less apathetic to the USA, but was nervous about the CSA and their Mexican territory. I could see friction building between the two nations of Britain and France.

If I'm correct, France was always partial to the CSA as Napoleon III asked his advisors if England thought it was the right time to recognize the south. Obviously, it never happened. However, France supported the South in hoping that as long as the Civil War lasted, America couldn't defend the Monroe Doctrine and they could stay in Mexico for as long as they'd like, as a result, France would support the CSA so they could stay in Mexico while the USA protested meaninglessly.

I know you guys have probably beaten this topic to death but I'm just wondering what you think the impact would be if the Union was forced into signing an armistice with the Confederacy in 1864 or 65 leading to the formation of the CSA. How would this additional government impact things like the Reconstruction and anti-slavery movement directly following the end of the war but also how would it impact things even today? Suppose there was a CSA bordering us to the south - occupying much of the southeast US. What changes would, in our present 2008, occur?
Does the south still have slaves?
Does the south still have Kentucky and Tennessee?
Does the south still have Western and Northern Virginia?
Does the south still have Louisiana?
In short, does the north retreat from the occupied areas?
What are the terms of the armistice?
What are the terms of the treaty?

Does the south still have slaves?
Does the south still have Kentucky and Tennessee?
Does the south still have Western and Northern Virginia?
Does the south still have Louisiana?
In short, does the north retreat from the occupied areas?
What are the terms of the armistice?
What are the terms of the treaty?

South still has slaves, obvi.
South almost certainly has Tennessee. Kentucky depends on the scenario.
South probably has NVirginia and almost certainly doesn't have WVirginia.
South has Louisiana. They need NOrleans.
Assuming there's a peace, they probably withdraw from some and not others. See above and below.
No idea.
No idea.

Oh, and look here.

Surely you are not suggesting that the south still has slaves in the present day. You must mean that they kept them after the war ended, for a while. I have said this before, in other threads, there is no way that slavery could have existed in the CSA, much past 1888. Once Brazil caved in, the pressure on the one remaining holdout would have been immense. The US, Canada, all of Europe, everybody halfway civilised, would have squeezed the south until they cried uncle. Plus there would have been some sort of emancipation movement within the country. No Anglo=Saxon democracy could survive for long like this. It would be like being Nazi Germany.