If you could change one event in history pre 1900

1. The Mughals lose the 2nd Battle of Panipat

2. The Deccan Sultanates lose the Battle of Talikota
I would like to add two more cases. (1)Prithviraj Chouhan wins the Second Battle of Tarain (1192) and execute Muhammad Ghori. (2) The Marathas win the Third Battle of Panipat(1761) and Ahmed Shah Abdali gets killed in the battle.

I would like to add two more cases. (1) Prithviraj Chouhan wins the Second Battle of Tarain (1192) and execute Muhammad Ghori. (2) The Marathas win the Third Battle of Panipat(1761) and Ahmed Shah Abdali gets killed in the battle.

Double post there.

The Byzantine Armada isn't betrayed, and the barbarians are routed from Roman Africa. Majorian is emperor of the West and lives another 20 years to age 60. During those 20 years he reconquers the entirety of the Iberian peninsula and Gaul, either Romanizing the tribes or exterminating them. In the last 5 years of his life & reign, he authors extensive reforms on the Imperial succession, the composition and training of the legions, and the Western Roman Economy. Though he never attempts to reconquer Britain, he offers favorable trade terms to the Roman/Briton communities there in return for their gestures of allegiance as 'friends and allies of Rome."

The Byzantine Armada isn't betrayed, and the barbarians are routed from Roman Africa. Majorian is emperor of the West and lives another 20 years to age 60. During those 20 years he reconquers the entirety of the Iberian peninsula and Gaul, either Romanizing the tribes or exterminating them. In the last 5 years of his life & reign, he authors extensive reforms on the Imperial succession, the composition and training of the legions, and the Western Roman Economy. Though he never attempts to reconquer Britain, he offers favorable trade terms to the Roman/Briton communities there in return for their gestures of allegiance as 'friends and allies of Rome."

I'd love to see this timeline, if only to see a Western Roman Empire that is Germanic in the same way that the Eastern Roman Empire was Greek, and see how they interact.

Skallagrim

Banned
I'd love to see this timeline, if only to see a Western Roman Empire that is Germanic in the same way that the Eastern Roman Empire was Greek, and see how they interact.

And now we wait for the Charlemagne/HRE fanboys who insist that this is OTL. ;)

(I once had a history professor who regularly held tirades about how the Roman Empire fell in 1806, "murdered by that upstart Bonaparte!")

Maoistic

Banned
This is a great assumption. I have heard before the opinion that it is perhaps possible that the Portuguese had some knowledge of the ‘New World’ prior to Columbus’ journey. However, that opinion would be that the Portuguese evaluated a lack of ability on their part to exploit such lands and or a lack of interest at the time to combat what would seem to be very numerous native groups or low density areas. This would explain why the Portuguese claimed certain areas in the New World, so rapidly.
The closest is the common Western European knowledge about the mythical lands of the Isles of the Blessed, Thule, Hyperborea and Antille. There were the Viking sagas of Leif Erikson but by the 15th century, Scandinavians lost interest in their American settlements for whatever reason and their sagas were forgotten and fell into complete obscurity (and probably regarded as mythical to boot), not to mention it was extremely uncommon for Romance-speaking countries to be reading Old Norse texts, even when printing became available.

Thomas1195

Banned
Germany is unified by a liberal West German State that controls the Ruhr, Rhineland and Saarland, which manages to neutralize Prussia's influence.

Nero allows Seneca the Younger to retire in 62. He does not become mixed up in the Pisonian conspiracy, and is hopefully given many more years to write and philosophize. The concept of Natural Rights/Human Rights is invented and codified at least a millennium earlier than OTL.

Kaze

Banned
Save Jules Verne. This will take some explaining:

After the Franco Prussian War, Jules Verne lost all hope in humanity growing old and bitter. His books went into a dark territory, so dark that one night Jules Verne set fire to his library of notes, his encyclopedia (which he used for information in said books), and the outlines for new novels that never saw print.

How would I save him?

I would take him to 16 July 16 1969, Cape Canaveral, Florida. Then I let him watch the Moon-Shot saying, "See that before you? Your books have never been out of print. Sure the human race has stumbled and fallen over the years; but the children of the world love your stories so much that they have strove to make your dream a reality. Here, today in AD 1969, mankind is sending three men to the Moon. All ask of you is to think twice about destroying your library."
Then I would take him home to his library and let him decide if the world deserves another book or not.

What if Nikola Tesla had gone to London instead of Paris and worked for a UK Electrical Company?
What if Tesla beat Marconi to the first radio transmission?
What if Edison was less of a cock to Tesla?
What if Tesla’s grand electrical power lab worked?

Deleted member 97083

And now we wait for the Charlemagne/HRE fanboys who insist that this is OTL. ;)

(I once had a history professor who regularly held tirades about how the Roman Empire fell in 1806, "murdered by that upstart Bonaparte!")
Napoleon Bonaparte could have recreated the Roman Empire, dammit! If it weren't for perfidious Albion!

It would have been cool to see a Vandal Kingdom and a Gothic Spain though.

Thomas1195

Banned
Nikola Tesla had gone to London instead of Paris and worked for a UK Electrical Company?
Not sure he would be as well-known as IOTL. British electrical industry was not relevant and generally crap compared to Germany or the US. Going to Germany, however, would be interesting.

In addition the the reply I gave to this thread nearly a year ago, here are some further thoughts:
  • Have Coptic survive as the dominant language of Egypt, and have the other pre-Arabic languages of North Africa survive and remain dominant there
  • Have Native American tribes admitted to the United States as their own states, and allow them to preserve their own languages and cultures albeit while westernizing their economies and standards of living. No Trails of Tears
  • Also No California Genocide or Gold rush.
  • Have the deportation of the Circassians not happen, so that in the twenty-first century there is an independent Circassian nation state in the north Caucasus.
  • Have the violence against Armenians beginning in the 1890s with the Hammidian massacres not happen.
  • Prevent the complete assimilation of Manchuria into China, meaning that Manchuria remains Manchu speaking and in the 21st Century you have an independent Manchu nation state just north of North Korea.
  • Have the Etruscans and not the Romans create the Roman Empire, so that instead of the Romance languages, you have Etruscan-derived languages being spoken in OTL Romance countries. This means more language diversity in Europe and not having practically every language be from the same language family.
  • Have Norn survive as the language of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland, and why not make them the fifth nation of the British Isles.

Last edited:
No Sebastian, let's have Luis of Beja legal sons, or a way longer living Duarte 5th Duke of Guimaraes with some sons. And no stupid BATTLE OF ALCACER QUIBIR happend, also no Felipe II of Spain bullying himself onto the Throne of Portugal after the Cardinal-Kings death.

A Living Son of Anne Boleyn for Henry VIII, as smart and tough as both Grandfathers and Lizzie, not as hotheaded as Daddy.

A longliving and smart Son for Zygmunt II Augustus of Poland, i liked the Jagellions.

No Expulsion of the Jews or at least no Torquemada with all that follows him.

Last edited: