If you could change one event in history pre 1900

aspie3000

Banned
Basically the question is if you could change one event pre 1900 and make whatever alternate events of that timeline true what would you change? Basically you could create a real alternate history timeline. Me, I would have the Anglo Saxons beat William the Conquerer at Hastings because I think that the English language and culture was so much cooler without the French influence, and if the United States still existed in this timeline, I'd have a much more awesome language I'd be speaking.

More successful US Reconstruction (or making advances in civil rights following the ACW more lasting, however you want to put it). If I had to go with a specific PoD, I'd say the USCT being utilized as planned at the Battle of the Crater would be my pick.

As Cliche as it Sounds: make Mexico keep the territories lost in the Mexican-American War. Although the POD necessary to make the war a Mexican Victory or avoid the War must be at least 20 yeas before (1820's)

No, because I would have doomed uncounted billions of people to non-existence, myself among them.
But at the same you would have most likely birthed life to billions more, so it equals out.

My choice would be to give Vytautas the damn crown.

I agree with Jared's sentiments that changing an event could have unpredictable consequences. However if I were to change one event, I guess I would have the 4th Crusade make it to Egypt instead of being diverted to Constantinople, the Sack of Constantinople was a completely random, pointless tragedy.

Here's mine:
  • Parts of Southern China remained autochtonous (although semi-Sinicized), particularly Taiwan (Austronesian), Hunan (Hmong-Mien) and Guangdong-Guangxi region (Tai).
  • Most of present-day Thailand remained Austroasiatic-speaking, particularly Mon.
  • Divert the destination of proto-Chams to Manila Bay area, particularly in Bulacan, Manila, Cavite and Rizal.
  • In relation to above, keep the tribes residing in the Manila Bay area speaking a direct descendant of proto-Philippine language.
  • Retain the northern part of Indian subcontinent Dravidian, linguistically as well as culturally.
  • The proto-Finns stay (and expand) in OTL European Russia, letting the Sapmi to develop their culture in their homeland. (OTL Finland and Karelia).
  • Have the Cornish and Breton migrate to Deheubarth, while the Cumbric speakers migrate en masse to Clwyd and (possibly) Gwynedd.
  • Have the surviving Hittites (and later, speakers of Anatolian languages) migrate to northeast Anatolia and Lake Van region.
PS:
I should include a Jomon (Ainu)-dominated Japan, but I thought of @Admiral Matt's comment on my thread:
It's supremely unlikely that the original settlers to Japan would have made use of none of the local place names. In fact, we'd expect the reverse to be true - that the largest number of toponyms would be found near where the settlers first arrived: Kyushu. This is fairly strong evidence that Jomon Japan itself had a linguistic divide near Nagoya before mainland farmers began colonizing the islands, and that west of there resided one or more now-extinct language families. Possibly on the southern coast east of there as well, for all we know.

Assuming this is the case, and you can get Chinese wet-farming to Japan well before the practice gets to southern Korea, and you can somehow preclude a large Chinese influx.... then whichever group adopted rice-farming would spread and dominate the islands. It's quite possible that the new farmers would even displace the Ainu just as the OTL Yayoi did, or that rice-farming proto-Ainu might drive Kyushan and Shikokuese languages into extinction.

Side note: The Pacific Northwest in North America is probably the closest model to Jomon Japan that exists in a clear historical record. Well-fed societies that could rely so easily on fish, game, and plant protein that resorting to grain had no value. Until it was too late.

Last edited:

aspie3000

Banned
If I could choose others though they are mutually exclusive I would

1. Have the Carolingian Empire survive
2. Have Brian Boru live and unite Ireland.
3. Stop the burning of the library of Alexandria
4. Stop the Muslims from spreading past Arabia and keep North Africa Christian and Persia Zoroastrian (I had another thing in mind but it would offend some people)
5. Have the Vikings survive in Greenland
6. Never have African slavery introduced to Barbados and by extension the English speaking world.
7. Change the French culture so that the peasants are more ready to colonize in the New World hopefully leading to a win at the Plains of Abraham and a completely French Canada
8. Have Harold Hadrada win and conquer England instead of William the Bastard.

These are just some of the things I can think of.

I would say no chattel slavery in the new world. But that evil might also butterfly some good like jazz, snoop dog, and Janet Jackson.

1.Have Magellan not do his circumnavigation or alternatively have the siege of Melaka fail.
2. Have the Majapahit recover from the late 15th century crisis.

Vercingetorix kills the invader Caesar and drives the Romans from Gaul (well, maybe not southern Gaul ... At first!)

Charlemagne falls during the Saxon revolts and Windukind unites a pagan Saxony under his leadership while the Frankish realm is divided.

Byzantine win at Manzikert.

Theodoric the Great has a son and heir (see my Amalingian timeline)

And, last, but certainly not least:

William the Bastard falls as Hastings and the Normans are scattered.

VVD0D95

Banned
Th Delhi sultanate never comes into being

Charles II has a son and therefore prevents the catatstrophe that is modern day British government

Richard iii defeats Henry vii

Edmund earl of Rutland does not die at Wakefield

Austrian victory at Koniggratz.

I'd also be interested in how things would go had the 1820 Amendment got through requiring each Congressional district to choose one Presidential Elector. Not a huge improvement by itself, but hopefully it might lead on to a law against gerrymandering, or even eventually to direct popular election.