If the 9/11 Attacks Were Just Barely Thwarted

There's been a lot of discussion on how things would change if 9/11 didn't happen, with most implying or outright stating that the hijackers would be caught before or just after boarding. As part of a pet project I'm working on, the terrorists did take control of the planes. However, all failed to reach their targets a la Flight 93. One could argue that this doesn't count as the attacks did commence, but let's not get into semantics.

I have a rough idea of how things would diverge from OTL and the typical scenarios, but a ton is still up in the air, especially since I haven't decided if the planes should land or crash. For one, nationalistic fervor wouldn't be as severe; there were no blazing infernos to rile the people up. But since it was just too close of a call, I believe there would still be a war on terror, though I have it outlined that Bush doesn't invade Iraq. If the terrorists survive and are interrogated, I see relations between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia breaking down as a concrete link is revealed between them and the hijackers. Public anger might even be directed at Riyadh rather than Baghdad.

But I don't know much about this, what do you think.

they only know people hijacked the planes, could think were ransom going very wrong
Ransom or political statement would be rather par for the course for hijackings. Like the hijackings of the 70s where communists would take over a plane and demand they be flown to Cuba.