if homo sapiens not the only sentient hominid

Hendryk

Banned
Some time ago, we had a discussion about a similar topic. You may want to check it out.

As I said at the time, there's a French novel from the 1950s, Les Animaux Dénaturés, which relates the chance discovery on a remote island of a tribe of homo abilis-type humanoids. The questions mankind then has to face is: Are they human? What are the boundaries of "humanness"?

Umbral I am aware of recessive traits. But from what I read in comstantly very small populations they tend to emerge more often. Like how some African jungle people developed two finger feet.

Also, what kind of gentic exchange would have happened among aboriginals? Anyone know? A rapid adaption would be most likly in the case of a population group isolated by natural barriers. (DNA studies of aborigines with Tasmainian heritage would be interesting.)

IIRC all the Tasmanians are extinct.

The question of who is a tasmanian and who is not seems to be one of some political sensitivity. However, it seems that many people claiming descent from pure Tasmanians are alive.

Gladi, I am not sure which writings they are. It does occur to me that in a small population, there is a minimum fraction who can carry the genes (i.e. if only the population only contains 10 people, the minimum percentage who can carry the recessive is 10%) But that may not have been what was meant?

Umbral said:
The question of who is a tasmanian and who is not seems to be one of some political sensitivity. However, it seems that many people claiming descent from pure Tasmanians are alive.

Gladi, I am not sure which writings they are. It does occur to me that in a small population, there is a minimum fraction who can carry the genes (i.e. if only the population only contains 10 people, the minimum percentage who can carry the recessive is 10%) But that may not have been what was meant?

Nope there is certain population in which traits are not bred out, around 300?
But I think these are larger population. Wiki on eye colours has some talk about it.