If France could name North America and Spain South America, what would they be?

Just as it says.

Assume that, prior to 1538 when the first major map was published with "America" being referred to as all of the New World, France could name North America and Spain South America.

What would Charles V and Francis I name them?

I'm thinking "Gaullia" for North America.

I think that, much like OTL America with the Spanish, it would probably be named after one of the people who discovered it. There's also the possibility of it being named after a King or the Royal Family, but I find that one unlikely - the other countries wouldn't like it and would insist on something more neutral.

Gaullia could theoretically be the name of a colony, or maybe the name that a colony chooses for itself if it becomes independent while retaining a strong sense of French identity, though.

When Verazzano arrived in North America serving the French he simply named the place New France (Nova Gallia, as we needed to write fancy stuff in Latin back then).

By the way, America wasn't named after the guy who discovered it (Otherwise it would be called Columbia in English and Colombia in Spanish). Amerigo Vespucci was only an Italian guy who proved that America wasn't Asia (Cathay, Cipango, India, etc.) and was a single landmass from North to South America. Also, he made his discovery in Brazil.

It didn't stop the people calling whatever they wanted their colonies. The Spanish called their entire American Empire Las Indias and 'til this very day English-speakers still talk about the West Indies. Naming stuff is pretty random, I dare say.

EDIT: I completely forgot that English-speakers tend to refer to the Americas as two continents... that might explain why Americans don't know where the name America comes from. As for me, I learnt it in high school back in my Latin American country. I suspect that (Continental) Europeans also learn that way.

Last edited: