If Al Gore won in 2000, what might George W. Bush have done?

I was just thinking about how in 2002 - when Bush’s second term as Texas Governor would have ended, had he not been elected President two years earlier - Senator Phil Gramm retired, thus creating an open seat. If Bush had lost in 2000, might he have run for that open Senate seat in 2002 - perhaps to set up another presidential bid for 2004 or 2008? If not, what would he have done?

Last edited:
I was just thinking about how in 2002 - when Bush’s second term as Texas Governor would have ended, had he not been elected President two years earlier - Senator Phil Gramm retired, thus creating an open seat. If he had lost in 2000, might Bush have run for that open Senate seat in 2002 - perhaps to set up another presidential bid for 2004 or 2008? If not, what would he have done?
GOP doesn't tend to renominated the defeated candidate,he would abandon Texas to be back NE once his term ended

MLB Commissioner. As a former owner of the Texas Rangers, I think he would have gone for that if he lost. There was some talk in the 90s about it.

MLB Commissioner. As a former owner of the Texas Rangers, I think he would have gone for that if he lost. There was some talk in the 90s about it.
Unfortunately, that ship likely sailed in 1992 when Selig outmaneuvered Fay Vincent and took the job for himself. That was part of W's reason for going into politics, he found himself on the outside for backing Vincent and so took Texas Republicans up on their offer to run. So...

Made lots of money in the private sector. He may run for Senate come 2012 when that seat opens.
Yeah, could very well be this. Maybe some nominal position in the next Republican administration.

Unfortunately, that ship likely sailed in 1992 when Selig outmaneuvered Fay Vincent and took the job for himself. That was part of W's reason for going into politics, he found himself on the outside for backing Vincent and so took Texas Republicans up on their offer to run. So...

Yeah, could very well be this. Maybe some nominal position in the next Republican administration.
I feel like an ambassador after becoming a donor bundler makes the most sense. He isn’t really positioned for one of the more prestigious administration positions without additional resume padding. He could be Commerce Secretary for a couple years… then make even more money in the private sector.

I could see him maybe running for re-election, but I'd doubt he runs for President again. Likely, he supports Jeb! in 2004 or 2008, as I think his brother would run though I'm not sure if he could win the nomination considering Bushes had lost 2/3 presidential elections that they were nominees for, there may be some 'fatigue' there.

I could also see him maybe becoming an Ambassador for a Republican President though I'm not sure where he'd be appointed.

He could run for Senate but.. I don't know, something in my gut is saying he wouldn't run which isn't the best source but I just don't think he'd have interest. If he ran in 2002, he'd likely win though and still be holding the seat.

Now that’s an interesting POD… perhaps even more interesting than him losing to Ann Richards, as was widely expected

He'd probably go back to being a failed businessman, IIRC his father and his father's allies/buddies were always bailing him out financially from business-ventures that had gone bust.

Relax and gone to live on his ranch, opened an art gallery for his paintings, and written a few books. Then done the talk show and political show circuit.

GOP doesn't tend to renominated the defeated candidate,he would abandon Texas to be back NE once his term ended

Tell that to Nixon. But yeah, GOP rarely go with failed candidate. And might be that GWB even doesn't try again anyway unless it is very narrow victory for Gore like it was for Bush in OTL.

Bush would finish his term as governor of Texas soon. Then he might even try run to senate or then mor probably return to family business. Jeb Bush might run presidency later but not sure would GOP nominate him. Their father failed to win re-election and GWB didn't win even his first presidential election so not sure would GOP want to back Bushes. Probably McCain is still most likely candidate for 2004 and/or 2008 election.

Tell that to Nixon. But yeah, GOP rarely go with failed candidate. And might be that GWB even doesn't try again anyway unless it is very narrow victory for Gore like it was for Bush in OTL.

Bush would finish his term as governor of Texas soon. Then he might even try run to senate or then mor probably return to family business. Jeb Bush might run presidency later but not sure would GOP nominate him. Their father failed to win re-election and GWB didn't win even his first presidential election so not sure would GOP want to back Bushes. Probably McCain is still most likely candidate for 2004 and/or 2008 election.
I think McCain gets the nomination in 2004. He was runner up in 2000 and I imagine 2004 under Gore will likely be a national security election like OTL. If McCain loses, I could see Jeb getting it in 2008.

I think McCain gets the nomination in 2004. He was runner up in 2000 and I imagine 2004 under Gore will likely be a national security election like OTL. If McCain loses, I could see Jeb getting it in 2008.
I feel like Jeb might have issues winning the nomination if his brother and father have both lost the general election, though I guess that could be ignored. That said, I think Mike Huckabee would have a strong chance of winning 2008 if Gore won 2004, and McCain was the nominee for the GOP in 2004.

Aside from Huckabee, Romney might also have a chance but I'm not sure if he'd be 'too moderate' after sixteen years of Democrat control of the White House.

Aside from Huckabee, Romney might also have a chance but I'm not sure if he'd be 'too moderate' after sixteen years of Democrat control of the White House.

If recession still occurs (altough probably much milder than in OTL) Republicans have pretty good chances to win assuming that Gore has won 2004 election. So Romney could still win nomination and general election but perhaps him should have someone more conservative running mate. Any chances on Romney/Huckabee ticket?

If recession still occurs (altough probably much milder than in OTL) Republicans have pretty good chances to win assuming that Gore has won 2004 election. So Romney could still win nomination and general election but perhaps him should have someone more conservative running mate. Any chances on Romney/Huckabee ticket?
I feel like a Romney/Huckabee ticket would probably be the best one they could get in 2008 assuming Gore won 2004, yeah.

There are others if Romney doesn't want to share the limelight (so to speak) with his VP, then he could choose someone similar. Maybe Jon Kyl of AZ or John Thune of SD?