Icarus Rising

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
LANSING, MICHIGAN
IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

MICHIGAN NATIONAL GUARD MOBILIZED
Governor George Romney, flanked by Lt. Governor Milliken and the leadership of both the State House and Senate, signed an executive order this morning mobilizing the Michigan National Guard to defend state, county and municipal facilities throughout Michigan from any action taken by federal authorities against the people of the Great Lakes State under the president's declaration of marshal law. Romney characterized President Bush's decree as "unconstitutional and undemocratic." At the end of his remarks, the governor, after stating that Bush was acting like a "cruel despot," opined that, "perhaps the President has forgotten that he is the leader of the free world." Then looking straight forward, addressing the president personally, he said, "Mr. President, our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here in America the people rule. You have apparently forgotten this sacred truth, sir, and we, the people of Michigan, intend to refresh your memory."

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
LANSING, MICHIGAN
IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Governor George Romney, flanked by Lt. Governor Milliken and the leadership of both the State House and Senate, signed an executive order this morning mobilizing the Michigan National Guard to defend state, county and municipal facilities throughout Michigan from any action taken by federal authorities against the people of the Great Lakes State under the president's declaration of marshal law. Romney characterized President Bush's decree as "unconstitutional and undemocratic." At the end of his remarks, the governor, after stating that Bush was acting like a "cruel despot," opined that, "perhaps the President has forgotten that he is the leader of the free world." Then looking straight forward, addressing the president personally, he said, "Mr. President, our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here in America the people rule. You have apparently forgotten this sacred truth, sir, and we, the people of Michigan, intend to refresh your memory."

THIS. CANON. NOW.

Wow.

Thank goodness for Jimmy Carter. And I'm surprised that the NYC police didn't really try to fight back.

They're letting the Army overextend itself. If they put up a serious fight right at the gates of the fort then they'd get demolished. Whereas if the Army is being forced to look out for millions of people all the while battling against the police and National Guard then Rockefeller's people would have a much better chance of winning.

Its Back! I was waiting to watch the start of the Civil War

It just might be the shortest civil war ever.

I'm half-expecting Carter to face down the army Flower Power style, half-expecting him to be the next martyr against racism and/or Bush. Who is Carter's Lt., Maddox?

Yup. Carter is keeping him far away from the streets since he's not exactly a shining beacon of tolerance.

Having just read Any Day Now (and gotten a nice sunburn from reading it on Ocean City's beach), I can say that I'm having trouble deciding whether this or that is my favorite alternate Sixties story.

I read a synopsis online. MLK Jr. and RFK return from the dead with the express purpose of running for President? Awesome. :D

I was hoping for more stands by the people and police against the army. Still, this keeps me on the edge of my seat. If Bush wins, I'm hoping for a mass uprising.

I WANT TO GET OFF OF PRESIDENT BUSH'S WILD RIDE

This is where armed civilians come in handy.

To be fair, armed civilians doesn't seem to have worked out so well in the South...

Ahem. This is where armed civilians with progressive social views come in handy.

Hmm I feel i am stuck trying to decide who would win in a fight now.

Two regiments of Infantry or the population of Harlem in the early 70's?

We shall have to see what happens.

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
LANSING, MICHIGAN
IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

THIS. CANON. NOW.

Absolutely. I'm including this in the next update, thank you Grattan.

RIP Senator Baker, you were a pretty awesome guy and it's sad to see you go. Also, sorry for the little mini update, the next one will be longer.

Governor George Romney’s announcement beat Finch’s phone call by exactly twelve seconds. Flanked by Lt. Governor Milliken and what scraps of leadership in both the State House and Senate that he could find, Romney signed an executive order on live television, mobilizing the Michigan National Guard to defend state, county and municipal facilities throughout Michigan from any action taken by federal authorities against the people of the Great Lakes State under the President's declaration of martial law. Romney characterized President Bush's decree as "unconstitutional and undemocratic." At the end of his remarks, the governor, after stating that Bush was acting like a "cruel despot," opined that, "perhaps the President has forgotten that he is the leader of the free world." Then looking straight forward, addressing the President personally, he said, "Mr. President, our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here in America the people rule. You have apparently forgotten this sacred truth, sir, and we, the people of Michigan, intend to refresh your memory."

All across the state a curfew was maintained but martial law itself was not, and citizens were asked to remain indoors, even as dozens asked to be allowed to aid the guardsmen by providing, vehicles, weaponry and manpower. The roads leading to military bases were blocked off, but after hearing of the recent events in New York City, the guardsmen had been given orders to open fire if the military made any threatening moves.

Spike strips were placed by the dozens on roads and plans to block the roads further away from the bases with burning vehicles had been agreed upon in the event that the military broke the initial defensive line. It was just past midnight in Michigan yet almost everyone was still up, the news of Romney’s announcement traveling fast and more than a few wondering if this was going to be the catalyst for civil war.

In Washington, in an office with the television on and tuned to a relevant channel, Rumsfeld listened to Romney’s message and ground his teeth.

_______

Bush was watching Rumsfeld’s face slowly turn purple when his phone began to ring. Rumsfeld glanced at it and motioned for Bush to pick it up.

“If you say anything about me then I’ll shoot you.” He said threateningly, Bush picked up the phone.

“Hello,” he said in as normal of a voice as he could manage, “this is the President.”

“Mr. President...” Bush was dully surprised to hear Finch on the other end of the line. For a moment he wondered what the man could be calling about before a cold ball of certainty settled in his stomach.

“Governor,” Bush said, “if you have any plans on following in Rockefeller and Romney’s footsteps then, just to let you know, you have one last chance to hang up the phone right now. Otherwise I will pursue you with everything that I have access to.” Finch was dead silent, all that Bush could hear was light breathing on the other end of the line, then finally a sigh.

“When you first became President,” Finch said, “I wondered why Rhodes had chosen you as his Vice President. You wanted to reform the government, end corruption in the intelligence industry and make the nation a better place. But now we find ourselves here just a year later and I finally understand why Rhodes chose you. It’s because you’re just like him.” Bush was silent for a long moment, staring at the little semi circle of armed men surrounding him. He forced himself not to shout.

“I’ve done some truly reprehensible things,” he said, “but I have never betrayed my nation. Everything that I have done, from the destruction of Helms to the use of the orbital bombardment platform, had been to keep this nation safe. You do not understand that because you only see half of the picture. You are playing with an incomplete deck and trying to go up against a man who has all of the aces. Just resign right now if you don’t want to deal with me you treasonous little fuck.” He was baring his teeth Bush realized, and quickly sat back in his seat, feeling oddly drained.

“Muskie and the rest are beginning impeachment proceedings against you,” Finch said, somehow calmer than when he had begun the conversation, in fact now he sounded oddly vindictive, “you are going to be removed from office George, and while I felt some pity for you at the start of this conversation it is clear now that there is nothing of the man I used to know left in you. I am not implementing martial law, I am mobilizing the National Guard, and if you want to come and make me resign then know that I am here in Sacramento awaiting that with bated breath. Goodbye.” The line clicked and Bush set the phone down in what felt like slow motion, he had make Finch angry, not an easy task for the famously mild mannered Californian. Looking up at Rumsfeld he folded his hands.

“California and Michigan are gone.” Rumsfeld blinked, looking oddly dismayed and suddenly Bush felt an incredible surge of anger sizzling in his chest.

“You’re doing this on purpose!” Rumsfeld hissed, and Bush felt something snap in his mind with an almost audible pop. Reaching out, Bush seized Rumsfeld’s lapel and leaned backwards, dragging the Chief of Staff across the desk and in front of him even as his men aimed their guns, trying to find a good spot to shoot. Rumsfeld tried twist free but Bush, who exercised every day and often was briefed while on the treadmill or an exercise bike, wrapped one arm around Rumsfeld’s throat and hauled him up in front of him, taking Rumsfeld’s own gun from where he had stashed it in his waistband. Putting it to the back of Rumsfeld’s head he backed into the far corner of the office. Rumsfeld’s men followed along, guns still aimed, their faces caught in between surprise and panic.

“Tell me Don,” Bush said, his voice a growl, “what was your evil plan? Surely it wasn’t just to get me back in the Oval Office so you could listen to your fucking wiretaps in peace.” Bush jabbed Rumsfeld in the back of the neck with the barrel of his gun and Rumsfeld yelped, his glasses were askew and his nose had been bloodied during the little scuffle but Bush didn’t care, Rumsfeld had put him through far worse much more recently.

“We...” Rumsfeld trailed off and Bush jabbed him with the gun barrel again, eliciting another cry of pain and looks of discomfort from the five men in front of them.

“You what?” Bush asked, “tell me Donny, you what?” One of the men began to reach slowly for a radio and Bush shook his head, the man’s hand retreated and he stared at Bush hatefully. Just then the phone began to ring and for a moment its tone was the only sound in the room.

“Put it on speaker,” Bush said, “I want to see who it is.” Nobody moved for a moment and Bush casually placed the gun onto Rumsfeld’s temple, prompting a little rush of movement.

“Hello, this is General Holloway of the Strategic Air Command,” the voice said, “are you there Mr. President?” Bush ducked further behind Rumsfeld, keeping the gun aimed squarely at the back of his head.

“Yes, I’m here. Just being held hostage by a few gunmen in the Oval Office. If you could alert somebody that would be great.” The five men glanced at one another in sudden panic and Rumsfeld attempted to squirm free again before Bush brutally ground the barrel of his gun into the man’s temple, drawing blood and ceasing his movements. One of the five men made a move for the phone and Bush, who enjoyed target shooting, casually put a round into the corner of the desk, stopping the man dead in his tracks. Backing away he stared sullenly at Bush, who smiled smugly, wishing that he could have shot him without possibly being shot himself.

“Was that a gunshot?” Holloway asked, “are you alright Mr. President?” He sounded genuinely worried and Bush glared at the five men opposite him. Get out of here. He mouthed, but nobody moved.

“That was a gunshot,” he confirmed, “I’m in a standoff with a couple of people who thought it would be a good idea to overthrow me. Have you told anyone yet?” The five men edged slightly closer and Bush repositioned Rumsfeld further in front of him.

“Yes sir,” Holloway said, then paused, “but I’m calling for a different reason. Seeing as how I am in control of the nation’s ICBMs and orbital military infrastructure, I have decided, with the aid of Director Paine and John Glenn of NASA, that our agencies will remain neutral in this ongoing conflict. The orbital bombardment platforms will not be used, neither will the ICBMs or anything at all. Good luck Mr. President.” Bush stared in disbelief and for a fatal moment the hand holding the gun to Rumsfeld’s head slipped.

Rumsfeld, who had been waiting for such a moment for a long time now, elbowed Bush hard in the stomach and slid free. His men raised their guns and the fifth one, who had taken something from his pocket while backing away from the desk, stepped forward and stunned Bush for the second time that night. Holloway, who had hung up a second before, heard none of this, but was confident that his call to the Marines guarding the White House, would be enough, and in some ways it was.

_______

Bush groaned and opened his eyes. His first sight, Rumsfeld being held back by a pair of suited men, legs kicking and face contorted with rage, was surreal enough that for a long moment he was convinced that he was still unconscious. But as the remaining three men stuck him back into his chair, this time tying his hands behind his back, he sighed. He felt decidedly unwell now, and his vision was still swimming. Rumsfeld wiped blood from his nose and grimaced, dabbing at the cut on his temple before stepping forward and cocking his fist back for a punch before being intercepted by one of his men.

“Don’t,” he said, “he’s just barely conscious as it is.” Rumsfeld nodded curtly and instead of punching him, reached into Bush’s jacket pocket and withdrew a little laminated sheet of paper. Looking at it for a moment he handed it to the man next to him and stared at Bush, his arms tightly crossed.

“I heard that Reagan and Rhodes kept the codes in their jacket pocket. Glad to see that you take after them.” Bush spat blood from a bitten tongue onto the desk and tried to focus on what was happening, but he felt oddly scattered all of the sudden, as though his brain had been packed with cotton.

“So this was it?” He asked, and laughed. Rumsfeld stepped forwards, looking suddenly anxious even as his men stepped towards the Oval Office’s door, awaiting an inevitable confrontation.

“Cut the shit,” Rumsfeld snapped, “now tell me, where is the nuclear football?”

I'm picturing this coming down to a standoff of Holloway vs. Rumsfeld with both sides possessing WMDs. Rumsfeld with the codes to launch a nuclear bombardment of the Soviet Union, damaging the reputation of America forever and Holloway with the power of an orbital strike, but the morality to question to use it on the White House.

I really like how there's a huge dichotomy between how some things are starting to look up (I don't think that Bush will be in office much longer), but something's are looking bad (Rummy with launch codes).

You never know. They could side against Bush for reasons differing from the other governors...
Of course, someone has to agree to use the nukes with Rumsfeld.
Finally, the USMC may be coming to the rescue- or at least to investigate...

So if LBJ is being played by Richard Dean Anderson because of his escape Bush is being played by Harrison Ford because that scene was straight out of Air Force One in tone.

U.S David

Banned
I don't understand, if the ICBM and Space force are neautral, then whats the porblem?

The General pretty much said he won't fire and WMD on any side, so Bush can't give the order to fire.

So why would Rumsflied want them? Maybe he dosnt know, and if Bush tells him he is a dead man.

I don't understand, if the ICBM and Space force are neautral, then whats the porblem?

The General pretty much said he won't fire and WMD on any side, so Bush can't give the order to fire.

So why would Rumsflied want them? Maybe he dosnt know, and if Bush tells him he is a dead man.

Because other forms of nuclear delivery are in place- strategic bombers such as the B-52, and submarine launched ballistic missiles.

Strategic bombers can be recalled. SLBMs (and ICBMs for that matter) can't be recalled, and can't be aborted once launched.

Also, the Secretary of Defense is needed because using the nuclear briefcase is a two man action.

Because other forms of nuclear delivery are in place- strategic bombers such as the B-52, and submarine launched ballistic missiles.

Strategic bombers can be recalled. SLBMs (and ICBMs for that matter) can't be recalled, and can't be aborted once launched.

Also, the Secretary of Defense is needed because using the nuclear briefcase is a two man action.
Holloway also controls the strategic bombers as SAC commander. SLBM's would fall under command of the respective fleet they were stationed in though and tactical level weapons aren't kept on hot standby except maybe in Germany and England.

Since he's chief of staff, Rumsfield should know that nuclear launch requires two-person authentication and the briefcase wouldn't call the shooters anyway. It calls the Pentagon which then disseminates orders to the shooters. Lastly, the briefcase should be handcuffed to the wrist of an officer assigned to the White House Military Office who should have a not insubstantial contingent of bodyguards.

Holloway also controls the strategic bombers as SAC commander. SLBM's would fall under command of the respective fleet they were stationed in though and tactical level weapons aren't kept on hot standby except maybe in Germany and England.

Since he's chief of staff, Rumsfield should know that nuclear launch requires two-person authentication and the briefcase wouldn't call the shooters anyway. It calls the Pentagon which then disseminates orders to the shooters. Lastly, the briefcase should be handcuffed to the wrist of an officer assigned to the White House Military Office who should have a not insubstantial contingent of bodyguards.

That's the official line, but as we've seen with Icarus the official line usually falls apart in times of crisis. I'm sure Bush would rather keep the briefcase out of someone's hands incase that person tried to run. I think that Rumsfield's already got the second code, as he wouldn't of tried this to begin with unless he could use it. Besides I'm sure there's some form of emergency code and the Pentagon doesn't know about the hostage situation.

What we need now is a tank-man to bolster the morale of the Constitutionalists.

Last edited:
Holy F*ck this isn't good. :eek:

Yup. My evil plan for Rumsfeld has finally been revealed.

I'm picturing this coming down to a standoff of Holloway vs. Rumsfeld with both sides possessing WMDs. Rumsfeld with the codes to launch a nuclear bombardment of the Soviet Union, damaging the reputation of America forever and Holloway with the power of an orbital strike, but the morality to question to use it on the White House.

It wouldn't just be the White House. It would be the entire city center for Washington D.C. The strike would kill hundreds of thousands who wouldn't have any chance of evacuation amidst the rioting and chaos.

I really like how there's a huge dichotomy between how some things are starting to look up (I don't think that Bush will be in office much longer), but something's are looking bad (Rummy with launch codes).

No dystopia is all bad after all. Some good things have to happen for it to be believable.

With 3 big states gone, hopefully more will follow. I doubt any of the southern states.

You never know. They could side against Bush for reasons differing from the other governors...
Of course, someone has to agree to use the nukes with Rumsfeld.
Finally, the USMC may be coming to the rescue- or at least to investigate...

The southern states will likely remain loyal to the Army more than loyal to Bush, since they need the Army in order to keep control over their rioting populaces.

So if LBJ is being played by Richard Dean Anderson because of his escape Bush is being played by Harrison Ford because that scene was straight out of Air Force One in tone.

I really want to see this movie now. Somebody go get a few Richard Dean Anderson/Harrison Ford impersonators and cobble this together.

I'm worried about the nuclear standoff that might occur at this point.

Depending on what happens, Rumsfeld's big move could either end the world, be a complete failure or anything in between. We'll have to see what happens.

Indeed. It's pretty frightening realizing just how much firepower is on each nuclear submarine, and how next to nobody knows where any of them are at any given time.

Don't worry. Rummy has a plan for that.

That's the official line, but as we've seen with Icarus the official line usually falls apart in times of crisis. I'm sure Bush would rather keep the briefcase out of someone's hands incase that person tried to run. I think that Rumsfield's already got the second code, as he wouldn't of tried this to begin with unless he could use it. Besides I'm sure there's some form of emergency code and the Pentagon doesn't know about the hostage situation.

While reading about the nuclear football I was sort of stunned by how relaxed the security around it was on a number of occasions. The security proceedings changed so often that I'm sure Bush could have it be locked up in a safe somewhere without too many people batting an eye.

What we need now is a tank-man to bolster the morale of the Constitutionalists.

Fun fact. I actually considered having the PRC attempt to invade Tibet during the Mainland War, only to find themselves being blocked by a battalion of Buddhist monks, who proceed to sit down in the middle of the road and refuse to move, leading to the invasion failing on the very first day. I never wrote that scene for some reason, but it's always stuck in my mind. I'll probably sneak something like it into the story soon.

Fun fact. I actually considered having the PRC attempt to invade Tibet during the Mainland War, only to find themselves being blocked by a battalion of Buddhist monks, who proceed to sit down in the middle of the road and refuse to move, leading to the invasion failing on the very first day. I never wrote that scene for some reason, but it's always stuck in my mind. I'll probably sneak something like it into the story soon.

Maybe have the citizens of Manhattan come out and sit in the road to quarantine the armoured vehicles to certain blocks with the international media broadcasting live making the soldiers unwilling to start a riot.

Henry Kissinger had made it nearly three blocks down the street before a limousine pulled alongside him, the driver’s side window rolling slowly down. Kissinger glanced over and saw the face of his driver.

“You seem to be in a hurry sir,” the driver said amiably, “perhaps I could help you get to where you’re going a bit faster.” Kissinger, who had been aiming for an unmarked car that he kept parked a few blocks away in the case of an emergency, slowed down, huffing for breath.

“Sure.” Opening the door, he tossed in his briefcase before clambering in afterwards. As he began to turn to set his folder of gold bonds somewhere safe he heard the door shut behind him and froze, suddenly something was very wrong.

“Pleasure to see you again so soon Mr. Secretary,” a pleasant voice said and Kissinger turned slowly to see a black suited man holding an equally black pistol, the barrel aimed directly at his chest.

“You bastards.” Kissinger said numbly, how could he have been stupid enough to think that Bush would let him go? Bush didn’t leave loose ends, especially not at a time like this.

“Don’t worry Mr. Secretary,” the man said, motioning for Kissinger to sit and fasten his seatbelt, which he did, “I’m not going to kill you. Not if you cooperate anyways. We’re going back to the White House and I expect you to behave.” Kissinger nodded desperately, wondering what Bush wanted with him. It didn’t seem like he wanted to kill him. Not yet anyways. That didn’t do much to narrow the possible options, none of which made Kissinger feel very good about his current position.

“How much did you pay him to do this?” He asked pointedly, jerking a finger towards the driver, who had now turned the limousine back around and was fiddling with the radio, probably listening to CBS like the rest of the nation. The gunman chuckled.

“He’ll probably enjoy the money you have in that briefcase there. You wont be needing it anymore, not after tonight.” Kissinger felt a little twinge of panic but just nodded.

“What does Bush want with me?” He asked harshly, but the gunman just shook his head with a bemused smile.

“Who says it’s the President that’s asking for you?” Kissinger couldn’t think of anything to say to that so instead he stared out the window and the distant glow of flames and general chaos erupting in the distance. If what the gunman was insinuating was true then things were going to get a lot worse in a hurry.

_______

Prime Minister Edward Heath, already looking at a very hostile set of elections a little more than a year ahead, was watching the ragged remnants of his electability tumble to the floor. The destruction of his career sounded a whole lot like Walter Cronkite. And indeed, there on the television, next to a battered and bruised Vice President and a decidedly angry governor, was the news anchor himself, calmly relaying the news that Michigan had joined New York in defying the recent, dictatorial orders lodged by the President, who it appeared was trying to hold onto power at all costs. The military was being mobilized all across the country and Heath wondered just how badly the more anti American elements of the electorate would react to an American civil war, especially considering that there were no shortage of photos of him shaking hands and talking with the man who had started it.

Sitting down and looking at the screen, Heath poured himself a drink and contemplated resignation. He wouldn’t be the first, nor the last, but the thought put a bad taste in his mouth so he washed it down with a mouthful of whiskey bitters and shook his head. He had never considered himself amongst the great Prime Ministers of history but it was still a shame that his tenure had to end this way.

_______

“There are probably Marines on the way here because of what you said to Holloway,” Rumsfeld was pacing in front of Bush’s desk, his men arrayed around him, all keeping a very careful eye on the man that they had once been assigned to protect, “so when they arrive at the door I want you to say that you’re alright and that the call was a false alarm. Also tell them that Kissinger will be arriving soon and to let him and his people into the office.” Bush spat more blood, he had bitten his tongue quite badly but fortunately he didn’t seem to be slurring his words.

“And if I don’t?” Rumsfeld smiled icily.

“Then my men release the papers and bring the nation tumbling down,” Rumsfeld snapped his fingers, “just like that.” Bush was silent for a long moment, his eyes locked on Rumsfeld, hatred smoldering within them.

“So you’re going to bring the football into the Oval Office, along with Kissinger. That’s clever, except for the fact that Holloway isn’t going to let you launch. He thinks I’m a maniac and there’s no way he’ll let a request from the football through.” Rumsfeld leaned forwards, about to say something angry, then someone knocked, firmly and authoritatively, on the door to the office.

“Mr. President,” a voice said, muffled, “are you alright in there?” Bush grimaced.

“I’m fine,” he said, “that call you got from Holloway was a false alarm, he told me he was disallowing the use of the nuclear arsenal, I told him something equally ridiculous. Also, Kissinger is returning to the White House and will be coming here soon, so let him in when he arrives, is that clear?” Though his voice was normal, the look on his face was murderous and Rumsfeld looked away, disconcerted, aware that the only thing keeping the President from strangling him, or worse, was a simple piece of rope.

“I’m going to ask that you let us in sir, to guarantee that you’re alright.” Rumsfeld shot a panicked look at his men and immediately knelt down next to Bush, tearing at his bindings.

“Act normally,” he hissed and Bush looked at his Chief of Staff and almost laughed at how rough he looked, glasses askew, blood crusted beneath his nose and staining the back of his shirt collar. He probably didn’t look any better. There was also a splintered bullet hole in the corner of his desk and as Rumsfeld covered it with a pile of paperwork, Bush rubbed the feeling back into his hands and pulled his sleeves over the marks that the rope had left.

“Your nose sir.” One of Rumsfeld’s men said gently and Rumsfeld swiped briefly at his nose before looking at the door. Bush drew a finger across his throat while giving Rumsfeld the most malicious look he could manage, then composed himself.

“Come in then.” He told the guards outside the door and immediately it opened. As he had suspected, they were Marines, dress uniform and all, glancing at the coffee stain on the carpet and the various detritus of the night with unhidden suspicion.

“Your nose is bleeding sir.” One of the Marines said, glancing at Rumsfeld, who chuckled shakily.

“Yeah...it happens sometimes I guess.” Behind the trio of Marines, Rumsfeld’s men shut the door and Bush rose.

“As you can see, nothing much has happened besides me tripping over my own feet and biting my tongue. Now let us be, I have work to do.” The Marines didn’t move, and Bush saw, behind them, Rumsfeld glancing nervously at his men.

“General Holloway said he heard a gunshot.” Bush pulled the stack of paperwork off of the bullet hole and smiled weakly.

“My Chief of Staff and I got embroiled in an argument and I fired a shot to end it. No intention to harm anyone.” The Marine nodded slowly and then glanced back at his two colleagues, whose hands visibly moved towards the safeties on their rifles. Rumsfeld took a small step backwards and Bush had just enough time to open his mouth in a cry of outrage before four micro-Uzis flipped upwards from underneath coats and a barrage of snapping filled the room. The three Marines had just enough time to shoot one of Rumsfeld’s men in the throat before they were mowed down, the single report of a rifle deafening in comparison to the silenced submachine guns.

Rumsfeld’s man was dead before he hit the ground, blood spraying across the wall he had fallen against, dislodging a portrait of George Washington, which crashed to the floor. Two of the Marines on the other hand, were reaching for their sidearms. One, uniform drenched with claret, stared up at the man who was approaching him and began to tell him to go fuck himself when a final burst put an end to the threat. Rumsfeld observed the carnage, breathing hard, eyes wide in mingled terror and exhilaration. Bush, who hadn’t moved so much as an inch throughout the whole exchange, looked at the four corpses on the floor, the ocean of blood in which they lay, and then up at Rumsfeld.

“You fucked yourself there Don,” he said hollowly, “now there is no way in hell that any of us are leaving this room.” Rumsfeld, wiping at a few scattered droplets of drying blood that had landed on his face, shook his head.

“Nobody heard that,” he insisted, “all we need is for Kissinger to get here, then everything will be perfect.” Bush said nothing, just stared at the corpses and tried to feel something besides rage.

_______

President Andreotti, who had been listening to CBS coverage for nearly the entire time that Brooke and Rockefeller had been on, was furious as he dialed a number.

“Hello?” A tired voice asked him, sounding depressed and remarkably resigned to whatever fate awaited him.

“Prime Minister,” Andreotti said crisply, “I take it you’ve heard of the...alarming events in America?”

“Of course I have. I’ve just advised that all British citizens visiting there return immediately. What are you calling about?” The possibilities abounded, and for an ally of Bush’s like him, none of them were good.

“NATO,” Andreotti said, “nations are going to start withdrawing from it soon. I’d advise that you follow along.” Heath stared down at the floor for a long moment.

“We’re going to have a formal meeting about this and talk about a solution, we don’t need to just...destroy the institution that we’ve spent so much money and manpower on over the past few decades...” Andreotti scowled at the pleading tone in Heath’s voice.

“The Americans are about to go through a civil war, and quite frankly they deserve it. Bush is no better than Rhodes, who was no better than Reagan. The whole structure is rotted and tumbling down, don’t get caught in the wreckage.” Heath’s mouth set in a frown.

“I understand that, but if we are to dismantle NATO then we must dismantle it in an organized fashion. We cannot have nations leaving piecemeal and spreading chaos across the continent.” Other people, ministers and military aides had begun to enter the room but Heath gestured for them to wait.

“I can agree with that,” Andreotti said, “but this meeting must come soon. Goodbye Prime Minister.” Heath set down the phone and glanced over at the small ocean of aides and ministers facing him.

“That was the Italians,” he said unhappily, “they want to disband NATO.” There was significantly less uproar than Heath had foreseen, instead most of the military aides nodded grimly, the ministers reduced to a few panicked looks and even a smug smile from one of the more anti American members of Heath’s cabinet.

“It would be wise to close our embassies across the globe and put the guards on full alert. The Americans have probably already done the same.” Heath set his drink aside, it suddenly seemed terribly unappealing.

“Yes. We also need to contact the other leaders of NATO, besides the Americans, and invite them to a meeting. We need to discuss the fate of NATO sooner rather than later.” The little crowd suddenly shuffled aside and Heath found himself face to face with the American ambassador.

“Hello Mr. Prime Minister,” he said, “I’ve come here to inform you that our embassy will be be placed on high alert until the crisis in the United States has been resolved. I’d advise placing roadblocks around the embassy so that any riots or demonstrations against us don’t result in bloodshed.” Heath nodded and shook the man’s hand, suddenly remembering how close he had come to throwing the man out of the country following the London shooting.

“Very well. Good luck.” The ambassador departed, and Heath sat down, his cabinet assembling around him. This was going to be a very long day.

_______

General William Westmoreland had served his nation for thirty six years, participated in five wars, and had never been more frightened than he was as he listened to the disjointed flow of information coming from home regarding martial law, rebellion from a number of states and the very good possibility that the President was guilty of murder.

There were reports of gunfights between advancing Army units and police officers in upstate New York and Westmoreland thought suddenly back to stories that he had heard in his youth from very old men who had fought in the Civil War. Their war had been about ending slavery and uniting a nation torn apart by the fires of extremism, but this war, if it even was one, seemed to have no real end game. Sure Bush could be impeached, overthrown or put up against a wall and shot, but when Brooke came in to take his place it wasn’t as if the violence wracking the nation would suddenly cease. No matter how principled and intelligent Brooke was, and no matter how effective his actions, he was a Negro, and that, for the ignorant millions scattered across the country, was more than enough reason to hate him.

But though that quandary weighed heavily upon Westmoreland’s mind, there was another thing that bothered him even more. General Holloway, the commander of the Strategic Air Command and the man in charge of the bulk of the nation’s nuclear arsenal, had announced his neutrality in the crisis, supporting neither the President nor the renegade states, congress and Vice President that sought to bring him down. That was concerning and so far Westmoreland hadn’t dared to make a move. Holloway was backed by Director Paine of NASA and, oddly enough, John Glenn, who at the moment was perhaps the most influential and dangerous private citizen in the world.

He had received a call from Holloway’s number a little bit earlier, before he had heard of the man’s pseudo-defection, but had ignored it. His realm was outside of the United States, controlling the wars in Pakistan and China as well as the air mission in Saudi Arabia and the police action in Brazil, which was to be ended by the middle of the year. So far this had been a busy day for him as he sat in his office in Taipei, directing an ever heavier flow of traffic along, orders to suspend all bombing missions over Saudi Arabia for the time being, to end combat operations along the Uyghur border in China and in the river valleys and mountains of Pakistan. Embassies all across the world were buttoning down the hatches and he had heard reports of rioting in India and several nations in Europe as the American flag was burned and bottles were hurled at the embassy walls. So far the embassy guards hadn’t had to kill anyone but Westmoreland knew better than to assume that that would remain the case. The world had taken a decidedly critical eye to American foreign policy, even if it did contribute heavily to making the world a safer place for all of them. They would never understand that though, it was better to let them sit and shout rather than futilely try to change their minds.

Embassy riots hardly concerned Westmoreland, who knew that airstrikes and other methods of relief were no more than an hour or two away from each and ever American diplomatic enclave on the planet, he was more concerned about a resurgence of jihadist activity in Pakistan and China. American troops were already stretched thin in both nations, and while the jihadist armies that they had fought in both nations immediately after the Mecca bombing had largely been destroyed, there were still a disconcertingly large number of terrorist cells operating in the region, including plenty in a number of Pakistani cities.

The ROC had done an admirable job at stamping out their own terror cells but the Pakistani military, of which rampant corruption and low morale were the least of its problems, had largely failed to mop up the mess in Multan’s slums, which Westmoreland wanted nothing more than to burn to the ground. He had heard of the slum clearings that Sanjay Gandhi was carrying out in Punjab, and while they were excessively brutal, Westmoreland knew that if the people were moved from the slums and perhaps into prebuilt settlements elsewhere, they would be happier and terrorism would decrease as a result. It would never happen though, especially not with the ongoing crisis back at home.

Grumbling to himself, Westmoreland swiveled his chair around and picked up the latest piece of paper to come through the Telex machine. An order for the arrests of General Holloway, John Glenn and Director Paine for treason. That made sense. Grumbling a bit more, Westmoreland wondered where Holloway was and then dialed his number. He wanted to understand why the man had done what he had done. Subconsciously, he supposed, he needed confirmation towards the growing feelings of mistrust he had begun to hold towards the President ever since the first allegations had come forth. He wasn’t at all convinced that Brooke would be any better, but if it meant that a murderer didn’t occupy the Oval Office then it just might be worth it.

_______

Across the globe, with a police radio giving them occasional updates, Brooke, Rockefeller and Cronkite had been joined by a SWAT sharpshooter team, who had taken up residence on the floor below and were preparing to open fire the moment the Army came within a few hundred yards of the building. The police barricades had been strengthened by the addition of a dozen trucks that had been supplied by civilians. Brooke, though he had wanted to go outside to thank them, had been advised to stay inside. It wouldn’t be above the Army to shoot him on purpose, one SWAT man said, and if the Vice President were to die then where would that leave the nation?

In the end Brooke had returned to the broadcasting room, just in time for another Telex message from Muskie to come rumbling out of the machine. This one was longer and as he sat down Cronkite glanced over it and nodded.

“We’ll be back on the air in a few moments. Any more news on the Army?” Brooke shrugged.

“They’re nearing the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to get through, the police have been burning cars at the entrance for a while now to keep the Army out, same thing with the Brooklyn Bridge.” Rockefeller nodded.

“We’re tracking their advance with helicopters. We’re very lucky they don’t have any air power of their own. At least not yet.” That had been one of Rockefeller’s primary concerns as time went by, whether or not the Army would begin to land reinforcements using planes or helicopters. So far nothing had happened, but with the blackout of news it was uncertain if anything had happened upstate besides the occasional vague report of firefights between Army units attempting to break out of their bases and the policemen assigned to stop them. The announcements made by Governors Romney and Finch had probably snarled reinforcements and possibly even shaken Army resolve. Nobody knew just how big the rebellion was going to grow. Rockefeller hoped that with another few states it would break military morale and cause them to either surrender or join his side, but just as with the plans of the rest of the nation, that breaking point was obscured by the confusion still surrounding the President’s actions and the complex web of intrigue that shrouded the whole affair.

“We’re live in three...” the cameraman said, snapping Brooke from his thoughts, “two...one...” The camera turned to focus on Brooke, who held up the paper.

“I have received a new update from senator Muskie and his congressional gathering regarding the completion of the first step in the impeachment process. The Articles of Impeachment have been set by the House Judiciary Committee and warranted as valid reasons for the President being removed from office. These Articles of Impeachment read as follows:

In his conduct, while President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has willfully corrupted and manipulated the Constitution of the United States for his personal gain and exoneration, in that:
On January 4, 1973 George Herbert Walker Bush arranged for the assassination of the congressional leadership as they met to organize an effort to remove him from office. Contrary to the oath he swore upon taking office to protect and uphold the laws of the United States of America George Herbert Walker Bush has violated federal law regarding one or more of the following:

(1) The murder of ten members of the leadership of the 92nd/93rd congress of the United States, as well as the murder of Senator Robert Kennedy (D-NY), the murder of fifteen security agents tasked to the wellbeing of the men in power at the meeting, the attempted murder of the Vice President of the United States and the attempted murder of three surviving security agents.

(2) The murder of Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), Fernando Chavez and his unnamed personal pilot through malicious sabotage of his private plane.

(3) The abduction and subsequent murder of former President Lyndon Johnson as well as the murder of the unnamed election official Johnson was with at the time of the abduction.

(4) Electoral fraud in the state of New Mexico amounting to an unknown number of ballots cast for the presidential candidacy of Hubert Humphrey and Daniel Inouye.

In doing this, George Herbert Walker Bush has undermined the integrity of his office, has brought disrepute on the presidency, has betrayed his trust as President, and has acted in a manner subversive of the rule of law and justice, to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.
Wherefore, George Herbert Walker Bush, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust of profit under the United States.”

Brooke looked up from the sheet before continuing.

“These Articles were presented to the House and received a vote of 104-28 from the gathering, signifying that the impeachment effort will continue onwards to the Senate. Should the impeachment motion garner a 2/3s vote from the Senate then President Bush will have been impeached from office. I hope that he will accept the results of this impeachment and stand trial or resign rather than continue this mad grab for power.” The room was very silent and Cronkite nodded.

“As the Vice President has said just now, the effort to impeach the President for murder, election fraud and sabotage amongst other things, has passed the House by a wide margin and is now headed to the Senate. Army units are still headed our way and while we are still not sure of what is happening beyond city limits we hope that all of you out there are safe and encourage you to stay indoors. Thank you for watching and be sure to keep tuning in for news of this ongoing crisis. We’ll be back after a brief break.” The cameraman turned the camera off and Brooke stared down at the paper before passing it to Rockefeller, who looked at the little vote tally at the bottom.

“There’s no way that Bush is going to accept this. We need to get the military on our side if we want to win.” Brooke nodded.

“I agree. But unfortunately we’re stuck here for the time being. What have the police been saying?” Rockefeller scowled.

“The Army has bypassed the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. They’re headed straight for the bridge.”

“What does that mean?” Rockefeller didn’t look pleased.

“It means that if they break us there then the only thing protecting Manhattan will be forces surrounding this building.” That wasn’t good. The little flashing sirens looked few and far between in the bitter darkness, and with the Army massing for what seemed to be a hammer blow against the defenders at the bridge, Brooke wondered how long they would be able to last.

Why were there so few votes on impeachment? How many Congressmen and Senators are with Bayh/Muskie?

Also, looking back:

Voting Results For Senate President Pro Tem.
Senator Russell Long of Louisiana - 76
Senator William Symington of Missouri - 20
Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia - 84
Senator Henry ‘Scoop’ Jackson of Washington - 19
Senator William Proxmire of Wisconsin - 13

Voting Results For Senate Majority Leader
Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana - 31
Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii - 73
Senator Frank Church of Idaho - 32
Senator Russell Long of Louisiana - 38
Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine - 33
Senator William Proxmire of Wisconsin - 5

Voting Results For Senate Majority Whip
Senator Philip Hart of Michigan - 50
Senator George McGovern of South Dakota - 52
Senator Frank Church of Idaho - 67
Senator Abraham Ribicoff of Connecticut - 43

Voting Results For Senate Minority Leader
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 90
Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 82
Senator John Tower of Texas - 40

Voting Results For Senate Minority Whip
Senator Lowell Weicker of Connecticut - 30
Senator Hiram Fong of Hawaii - 70
Senator Charles Percy of Illinois - 112

How are you having more than 100 votes for Senate positions?

Oh shit, oh shit oh shit oh shit.

If what I think is about to happen is about to happen well holy shit. However in this movie I'm apparently writing/producing/directing the scene I'm imagining happening will make one hell of an effects set piece.