Iberian Union under Alfonso of Portugal and Isabella of Castille

One effect of this happening is that the Jews and Muslims of Portugal won't be forced to convert....for now.
In OTL it was Isabella that demanded Manuel to expel them if he wanted to marry her so she might influence Afonso to do the same. Whether he does it or not its hard to say.

One effect of this happening is that the Jews and Muslims of Portugal won't be forced to convert....for now.
In OTL it was Isabella that demanded Manuel to expel them if he wanted to marry her so she might influence Afonso to do the same. Whether he does it or not its hard to say.
Isabella thought Alfonso's death was the result of Jews and Muslims being in Portugal. This will NOT be the case ITTL

How much do you want to bet that their children will marry each other?
Nah, don't think so. With Aragon, Castile and Portugal united under the same ruler, the next logical step was Navarre, which Ferdinand actually had plans at that time. After all, they wanted, first for Miguel and then for Charles, to marry one of the Catherine of Navarre's daughter.

Nah, don't think so. With Aragon, Castile and Portugal united under the same ruler, the next logical step was Navarre, which Ferdinand actually had plans at that time. After all, they wanted, first for Miguel and then for Charles, to marry one of the Catherine of Navarre's daughter.
Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure Ferdinand took a more militaristic approach towards Navarre

Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure Ferdinand took a more militaristic approach towards Navarre
Because his original plan didn't work, all his favorite descendants died young and he lacked other suitable male candidates of his same dynasty. Plus the fact that Catherine had a son way after she had a lot of daughters.
But you could see in Ferdinand's second marriage some logic behind it. He married Germaine of Foix mainly for two reasons:
First, for his hopes of having a son that could separate Aragon from Habsburg Castile.
And second, Germaine of Foix was a daughter of an old claimant of the Navarrese Throne (John of Foix, Viscount of Narbonne). And even if his claim was really weak, it was still better than having none.

Because his original plan didn't work, all his favorite descendants died young and he lacked other suitable male candidates of his same dynasty. Plus the fact that Catherine had a son way after she had a lot of daughters.
But you could see in Ferdinand's second marriage some logic behind it. He married Germaine of Foix mainly for two reasons:
First, for his hopes of having a son that could separate Aragon from Habsburg Castile.
And second, Germaine of Foix was a daughter of an old claimant of the Navarrese Throne (John of Foix, Viscount of Narbonne). And even if his claim was really weak, it was still better than having none.
I suppose. I mean, Habsburg Navarre would've been a fascinating thought, but...

If Alfonso lives, the catholic monarchs don't get the dowry back. This could affect the war effort with Granada, and the financing of Columbus.

Last edited:
"2,025,000 reais" was Isabella's dowry. I have no idea how significant this is.
That is a vast sum of money. It would definitely mean they're less able to finance Columbus. Although maybe if they go on another successful war...
They could finance Colombus from the riches of Granada. With this the voyage could be delayed but just for a few years.
Or Portugal finances him. After all, they were going to become one kingdom, anyway.