HT - RULED BRITANNIA

just flicked thru briefly a copy of this AH novel on a Spanish-conquered England in the late 16th C, and William Shakespeare's role in stirring up resentment against the Spaniards. Anybody read, and your opinions ?

Thande

Donor
I liked it, though it dragged at times, but I particularly found the end to be very rousing. I understand some people had trouble with the Elizabethan language, but I liked it. :)

Melvin Loh said:
just flicked thru briefly a copy of this AH novel on a Spanish-conquered England in the late 16th C, and William Shakespeare's role in stirring up resentment against the Spaniards. Anybody read, and your opinions ?

I thought it an excellent book, far better than most of HT's efforts. The dialogue is in period Elizabethan dialect, but I didn't find it difficult to understand (it's not as hard as understanding some Shakespearean plays, for example, because he's not trying to rhyme as much as Shakespeare would have done).

Thande

Donor
I did find the end very rousing and the "Boudicca" imagery certainly made ME want to rise up and throw the evil Spaniards off of the sceptered isle! I was surprised Turtledove was capable of such writing, even though some of it was stolen from contemporary playwrights.