How would you do world war z as a tv series

Like the Wire, following different groups of people with a new group added each season. You could cover a fair amount of the events in the book that way. Or just have interviews and flashbacks like in True Detective. Either way would be awesome I think :D

Like the Wire, following different groups of people with a new group added each season. You could cover a fair amount of the events in the book that way. Or just have interviews and flashbacks like in True Detective. Either way would be awesome I think :D

Yes, I think the interviews would be great to do as a series. But I don't think they'd do it justice if they did one interview per episode, I think they'd try to cram in too much into one episode.

Plan for a four-season show.

Have the first season run from the first outbreaks to the Battle of Yonkers and the Iran-Pakistan war. The next two seasons would be people and governments trying to survive (the climax of Season 2 would be the collapse of the Three Gorges Dam, and the climax of Season 3 would be the big international conference at sea) and the last season would be the one where the living take back the planet and cope with the aftermath.

Above all, think BIG. This is a world war we're talking about. It's right there in the title.

Plan for a four-season show.

Have the first season run from the first outbreaks to the Battle of Yonkers and the Iran-Pakistan war. The next two seasons would be people and governments trying to survive (the climax of Season 2 would be the collapse of the Three Gorges Dam, and the climax of Season 3 would be the big international conference at sea) and the last season would be the one where the living take back the planet and cope with the aftermath.

Above all, think BIG. This is a world war we're talking about. It's right there in the title.

Iran-Pakistan? Don't you mean India-Pakistan?

Oh, and I like your idea. Maybe once in a while we could have a view/short episode aboard the ISS, allowing us to see the world from space? In the first season, the earth would look mostly normal. Then, in the second, we would see nuclear fireballs and massive destruction. In season three, the earth would look sickly, dying almost. And for season four... probably just season three again. But a little better, maybe?

He doesn't - Iran and Pakistan nuked each other after Pakistani refugees overwhelmed Iran to the point that the latter began bombing them.

Actually, it started with Iran bombing one bridge with conventional ordinance to stem the major flow of refugees from Pakistan (admittedly, the bridge was gridlocked with refugee traffic). What followed was repeated retaliation and escalation over three days due to the Great Panic and the lack of established diplomatic protocols between the two countries. Finally, both sides launched nukes at a total of, I think, eight cities. It's hinted that someone in the Pakistani embassy was undermining Iran's efforts to reach Pakistan's leadership with offers to de-escalate.

Basically like a World War 2-documentary with interviews and archival footage.

I think that's kind of how the book worked, so, I like that plenty.

Ideally, I would do the book exactly. Lycaon pictus has the right idea I think for the rough scale of it.

For actors, I would use as many of the audio book's cast as feasible.

Ahh but who to have for Redeker?

It would have to be someone who during his interview would basically be in shadow, so that the light can merely give hints of a profile, movements of a hand, with no clear indication for ethnicity, etc.

And after the interviewer signs out, and then the reveal of who he was interviewing (hairs standing up on end as I type this!) we can pull back a bit and there's Christopher Plummer standing by the window with a trillion-yard stare, and he smiles, there is a strange peace there, and he is secure.

Maybe, maybe, maybe as the interviewer leaves, and the interviewee is not yet revealed, he whispers, "Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."

(Some Plummer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQi3IXRIeC8 )

And now I have the incredibly chaotic urge to suggest George Takei as the veteran Chinese physician.

The way I'd want to do it is as a true compilation series. Structured by the interviews, and yes, only one per episode. I agree the temptation to try and cram more together would be high, but NO, just NO. If there's not enough material cut, change or otherwise edit it. One bloody interview per episode. Maybe two, but no more than three episodes for big things, like, say, Yonkers, and try to avoid coming back for a second episode with the same person in the same season (probably unavoidable, but definitely no more than two separate episodes per person per season).

The way I'd want to do it is as a true compilation series. Structured by the interviews, and yes, only one per episode. I agree the temptation to try and cram more together would be high, but NO, just NO. If there's not enough material cut, change or otherwise edit it. One bloody interview per episode. Maybe two, but no more than three episodes for big things, like, say, Yonkers, and try to avoid coming back for a second episode with the same person in the same season (probably unavoidable, but definitely no more than two separate episodes per person per season).

I can see your point. What I meant to say is that the big events shouldn't get crammed into one. There are some smaller interviews that I think could be one per episode.