How would the United States had looked if

Vietnam would have lasted longer and many more Days of Rage!:(

Well, I dunno. To be honest, it would depend on the candidate. If the Dems ran somebody like George Wallace, then yeah, it could be. But otherwise, if they run a guy like Humphrey(OTL), or a surviving Bobby Kennedy, then it'd likely end earlier.

TBH, I'm still a little perplexed by Nixon's decision to end the war that Johnson escalated.

The Democrats remain the majority party, because Nixon didn't get to build the modern Republican coalition. It looks a lot more like Canada today.

Such big questions depend very much on the POD. So yeah, what democratic candidate wins?

I see ways to make the dems the majority party in those years, but they vary and have different outcomes.

I think no matter whether it´s a democrat or republican president, the US is going to move out of Vietnam.

Sorry I forgot President Humphrey resigns for health reasons in 1976. Due t the bad economy, President Muskie loses that falls election.

Hubert Humphrey 1969 - 1977
Howard Baker 1977 - 1981
Walter Mondale 1981 - 1989
Hugh Carey 1989 - 1993
Bob Dole 1993 - 2001
Lamar Alexander 2001 - 2009
Barack Obama 2009 -

Last edited:
The major media as a whole remains deferential to the president. It was Watergate that ended the press helping hide stuff like JFK's affairs, FDR's disability, etc.