How true is the notion that saints (especially Roman Catholic) are pagan Roman gods in disguise?

a fair few CofE priests are atheists
giphy.gif

Something doesn't seem right about this sentence...

I imagine that the archdiocese would not be happy to hear this.

Eh, most Christians I know personally don’t believe Christianity is the only way to heaven, it’s just the easiest, and that God will accept anyone who’s good, does good etc.

The few I know personally who believe that salvation only comes through being Christian are hard-line fundamentalists.

giphy.gif

Something doesn't seem right about this sentence...

I'm guessing by your name you don't have much experience of the CofE...

Not everybody is in the same league as David Jenkins, who rose to be Bishop of Durham despite calling the Resurrection a "conjuring trick with bones" (and when York Minster was struck by lightning shortly after his consecration there the church was forced to issue a statement denying this was a sign of divine displeasure...), but there are plenty who tend to view belief to be optional and definitely not something to be enthusiastic about.

Not everybody is in the same league as David Jenkins, who rose to be Bishop of Durham despite calling the Resurrection a "conjuring trick with bones" (and when York Minster was struck by lightning shortly after his consecration there the church was forced to issue a statement denying this was a sign of divine displeasure...), but there are plenty who tend to view belief to be optional and definitely not something to be enthusiastic about.

It's still mind-blowing to me. Wonder if the other national churches of Europe are at the same stage.

How would York Minster even know? Mind you, Bishop Spong's tenure in the US wasn't associated with any signs of God's wrath, and he deserved them just as much.

C of E is so weird. It has that disturbing cadre of atheists, but it also produces some of the best religious writing of the modern era. At least the atheist faction is likely to go extinct in the next couple decades.