How to make the 2010's grim as possible

Of course, just to clarify, I do not advocate killing any president, nor any other human being for that matter. And I certainly am not calling for anyone to do so.
Reading the whole thing, I don't think he's saying it'd be great if a president was assassinated. I think he's saying, in a very uncomfortably worded way, that there could be a silver lining it.

Of course, just to clarify, I do not advocate killing any president, nor any other human being for that matter. And I certainly am not calling for anyone to do so.
Neither am I , it's just that it takes someone doing very bad things to show people how wrong they could be. After all, without the Holocaust, eugenics wouldn't be discredited. Don't ban me. Please.

Neither am I , it's just that it takes someone doing very bad things to show people how wrong they could be. After all, without the Holocaust, eugenics wouldn't be discredited. Don't ban me. Please.
Just re-word it so you're not saying assassination is a "good thing."

Just curious exactly how can we make the decade were currently in now, alternated grim as much as possible. At the top of my mind I was wondering if it be possible if Romney won 2012 Presidential Election. Also what about if US never pulled out of Iraq War and making the Iraq War lasting a bit longer as well? Deadlier Boston Marathon Bombing? Japan gets a more worse earthquake than it did in reality in 2011. The list goes on and on.

In some way the headlines of 2016 suggest some grim trends in the world. Regarding Op´s question Iam surprised nobody mentioned the Ukraine Crisis and the Crimean annexion yet.

I certainly didn't take it that you advocated assassination, but the wording was really unfortunate. I would suggest further editing of the post in question.

French nuclear reactors are attacked or otherwise fail. Mexico goes into civil war and the US interferes. Turkey turns Islamist. Maybe we should continue this in 2020? This stuff is too close to modern politics and could still happen.

• Kerry wins in 04
  • McCain wins in 08
  • After bungling the recovery to the GFC he focuses on foreign policy and Iran.
  • Tensions rise to the point that there's an incident on the border. War occurs?
  • McCain suffers a stroke and his VP (Bachmann?) takes over.
  • In 2012 Democratic nominee Obama is targeted and killed by a white supremacist for his race and his outspokenness over the hawkishness of the McCain administration.
  • Tim Kaine his running mate takes over and causes further furor on the right by bringing up gun control.
  • A Militia standoff goes horribly wrong
Will add more to this general framework

It would be a lot worse then that. You would see a rise of a much more competent version of ISIS once Kerry starts cutting and running assuming he does in 2006 and 2007 which is likely.

Then the credit crisis, housing crisis and auto-crisis would be much easier to screw up for a one term President facing re-election not known for his decisiveness.

No NATO intervention in Libya. If Gaddafi was telling the truth about rivers of blood and such we might have seen tens or even hundreds of thousands more dead and various dictators in the Arab world emboldened.

There were rumors a while back about Kim Jong being secretly couped. We could play off of that - a military junta replaces Jong, it gets outed and the people of NK revolt. Thousands of refugees pour over the border, the concentration camps are exterminated and the True Believers (TM) go scorched earth on the (albeit provoked but very eager) South Korean military. Throw in some drama with China and Japan and you've sufficiently fucked up the Far East.

Bloody May
May 1 2010:
At approximately 6:30 PM EDT a explosive device is detonated in the middle of NYC's Times Square killing 534 and injuring 820 civilians and tourists
May 10 2010: President Barack Obama is assassinated by a right wing terrorist who blamed President Obama for the May 1 attack, Vice President Joe Biden is sworn into office as the 45th President of The United States
May 13 2010: During the funeral service for President Obama a Boeing 747 jet slams into the US capitol building where President Obama lay in state, 3440 People are killed and 2000 plus are injured including many foreign dignitaries

Just curious exactly how can we make the decade were currently in now, alternated grim as much as possible. At the top of my mind I was wondering if it be possible if Romney won 2012 Presidential Election. Also what about if US never pulled out of Iraq War and making the Iraq War lasting a bit longer as well? Deadlier Boston Marathon Bombing? Japan gets a more worse earthquake than it did in reality in 2011. The list goes on and on.

The "Green Revolution" in Iran escalated instead being opressed in 2009 ?

• Kerry wins in '04.
  • McCain wins in '08
  • After bungling the recovery to the GFC he focuses on foreign policy and Iran.
  • Tensions rise to the point that there's an incident on the border. War occurs?
  • McCain suffers a stroke and his VP (Bachmann?) takes over.
  • Arab Spring topples more governments.
  • Mega-ISIS starts forming.
  • Bin Laden relocates from his compound, location unknown.
  • In 2012 Democratic nominee Obama is targeted and killed by a white supremacist for his race and his outspokenness over the hawkishness of the McCain administration.
  • Tim Kaine his running mate takes over and causes further furor on the right by bringing up gun control.
  • A Militia standoff goes horribly wrong.
  • Tim Kaine Wins the election.
  • '15 British elections result in a Conservative/LibDems/UKIP minority
  • LibDems veto Brexit referendum, government collapses new elections called.
  • UKIP makes gains so that no one can make a government without them.
  • Brexit Referendum passes, UKIP forces Cameron to pull the trigger on EU membership.
  • Turkish Coup turns into a civil war.
  • Saudia Arabia collapses as the price of oil goes too low.
  • Police accidentally shoot protestors at a BLM protest.
  • Trump wins.
  • Russia launches full invasion of Ukraine.
  • Trump resigns, Michael Flynn becomes President.
Added a bit more, not so sure about the numbers for the Brits though.

Last edited:
Not at all. The recession guaranteed any Democrat's victory, even if that Democrat was John Edwards.

I don't think so. A Clinton-McCain race would have allowed all the negativity of the Clinton Hate Machine without the Republicans flaking like they are today. I'd also assume that '08 election would have much lower African-American turnout than OTL.