How to make the 2010's even more grim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay first thing first how could the 2010's have been worse? Different outcome of 2012 Presidential Election? A deadlier Boston Marathon bombing? A worse Hurricane Sandy? Gaddafi not being killed and somehow escaping Libya? Osama bin Laden managing to escape getting killed for a couple more years?

What I don't want included is 2012 solar storm, since that is just too plain obvious to make the decade more grimmer.

Okay first thing first how could the 2010's have been worse? Different outcome of 2012 Presidential Election? A deadlier Boston Marathon bombing? A worse Hurricane Sandy? Gaddafi not being killed and somehow escaping Libya? Osama bin Laden managing to escape getting killed for a couple more years?

What I don't want included is 2012 solar storm, since that is just too plain obvious to make the decade more grimmer.
I'm recommending this to be moved to Political Chat, because this is 100% bound to cover major political figures.

*Tensions between Ukraine and Russia lead to much larger war in 2014-2015

*Ebola scare in US circa late 2014 replaced with Marburg or Smallpox

*Arab Spring turns bloody and goes wider resulting in the fall of several governments and half a dozen civil wars

*Stcok market hiccup of 2013 not averted in time resulting in a full market crash

*Election night of 2016 turns violent but doesn't stop even after the inauguration (works for either candidate). Uncertainty persists even into March and April with faith in the economy tumbling accordingly

*NASA attempts to nudge large space rock backfire, reported as likely collision but math is wrong - seven days of global looting, orgies, and societal breakdown ("Hell Week") turn out to be worry over nothing.

*NASA attempts to nudge large space rock backfire, reported as likely collision but math is wrong - seven days of global looting, orgies, and societal breakdown ("Hell Week") turn out to be worry over nothing.
I don't think it would lead to societal breakdown, rather it just be a period of unrest.

I don't think it would lead to societal breakdown, rather it just be a period of unrest.
If word went wide that a two-mile space rock was going to hit the Earth in seven days with experts supporting it, society would go *nuts*. If we're all likely to die anyway, if there are truly no significant consequences for behavior after one week, it'll make The Purge look like kindergarten recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.