How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geon

Donor
St. Louis and New York

I will be taking time in the next few updates to visit some of the cities effected by the German and Japanese attacks to show the effects on the cities and how their populations are coping.
------------------------------------------------

Date: December 24, 1944
Time: 9:00 a.m. [CST]

In St. Louis even though the plague had been contained several days ago many were dying from complications caused by the disease. Though the number of infected had not gone up from 232 the number of dead was now at 119.

Daryl Cleaver who had led the “mercy train,” to a local hospital to get people help was now working as an orderly in that hospital. After the doctors had allowed his friends to be admitted Daryl had asked the hospital administrator what he could do to help. The administrator had been pleasantly surprised and asked if Daryl would mind working as an orderly at the hospital. Daryl, who had been retired for two years, had not hesitated. Now he was cleaning bed sheets, helping with meals, cleaning bed pans, and generally doing whatever he was asked. Daryl often looked in on all the different victims in the isolation ward regardless of their skin color to see how they were doing. One “white” plague survivor would say later, “The man was like an angel, if you needed something he was going to make darn sure you got it. Even when he was off duty he spent a lot of time at the hospital helping.” Daryl was a shy man so he would be embarrassed when he found out that in 1945 President Truman would make him one of the first recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Time: 7:00 p.m. [EST]

Over a month ago Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia had stood in this studio prepared to give a broadcast that likely would have taken a bad situation in the city and made it worse. Now on Christmas Eve Mayor LaGuardia was preparing to make another speech this time with the very man beside him who had stopped him from making that first speech what seemed now a long age ago. General Edward Hawthorne and Mayor LaGuardia had gone over the last month from being adversaries to becoming partners working together to contain the plague and help those who suffered from it and to keep New York City working despite the illness. Now, LaGuardia turned to the General and said, “General it is traditional in many homes that turkey is served on Christmas Day for dinner however tonight sir like it or not I am about to eat crow!” The General smiled. Mayor LaGuardia had decided to take responsibility for the errors made in the early days of the infection. It was rare for a politician to admit he was wrong but Mayor LaGuardia was at heart a good man and after hearing some of the horror stories from the survivors in Brooklyn had decided that some form of admission of guilt on his part was needed, as well as some restitution.

The technician counted down the last few seconds and then LaGuardia began to speak giving one of his most famous speeches known as the Christmas Eve Speech of 1944.

----------

Good evening my fellow New Yorkers! First off let me start by wishing each of you a blessed and Merry Christmas. I know that the last year, especially the last month and a half have been very trying for all of us. Also, I am painfully aware that many of you have lost loved ones in the recent outbreak of bubonic plague on our city. For many this will be a somber Christmas marked more with mourning then joy.

As of right now the total number of those infected by this disease remains at 242. That number has not changed thankfully since December 5th. However, the number of deaths occurring from the disease still continues to rise. As of today that number stands at 109.

I am going to take a moment of your time to come to you hat in hand tonight and humbly ask your forgiveness. Over the last several days I have done some heavy duty soul searching regarding my early actions when this plague hit our city. I will fully admit to you now that I and your city government failed many of you in the borough of Brooklyn. We badly misread the situation and reacted in ways that hurt more then helped. We were brutal where we should have been gentle. There is no excuse for that. Effective tonight I have asked for and received the resignation of the Commissioner of Public Health. His actions—no—his actions combined with my complicity were responsible for many of the deaths. To the people of Brooklyn I offer my deepest apologies and promise to do better by you in the future.

We, that is, your city government, are going to take a long hard look at the crisis management strategies of our city. We are going to change them and we are going to ensure that those strategies are updated as we come to deal with new and different situations in coming years. One of the duties of government is to protect its citizens and in one of the largest cities on earth that is often a very difficult and thankless task, but you, all of you deserve the very best protection that we can provide in the event of an emergency. I pledge to all of you that we will come up with crisis management strategies that will ensure that some of our citizens will not be sacrificed in order to save others as happened here.

Further, I believe that when this war is done we need to take a long hard look at the housing situation in Brooklyn. However we need to start now. As my Christmas present to you in Brooklyn I am ordering that a full inspection of every tenement be made starting the day after Christmas and that those buildings that do not meet public health and safety code standards will either be brought up to code by their owners or condemned and those in the buildings so condemned moved at no cost to themselves to affordable safe and clean housing. Further those who suffered because of the city’s indifference and quarantine in Brooklyn will each be offered a settlement to be determined later that will help them repair the damage done to their lives.

It is time for us to come together and heal. I ask all of you in all the boroughs of this city to help me as we begin the new year of 1945 to put this city back on track to make it one of the greatest not only in the U.S.A. but in the world. God Bless all of you, and again A Merry Christmas to all of you and good night!

Last edited:
oh I love the last two post,
i can imagine how Louis B. Mayer "explode" in Mayor Fletcher Bowron office, after hearing his demands :D

on soviet gasmask
here som picture
499181140_a1fc35499f_o.jpg

07_pics_73211.jpg

Garmon_v_protivogaz.jpg

Geon

Donor
Philadelphia

The city of brotherly love probably could use some right about now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Time: 7:00 p.m.

In Philadelphia Christmas Eve should have been a time for rejoicing and hope. But for the last week the chief business in Philadelphia had been funerals, 1,730 of them to be exact. The V1 attack had been devastating on the city. And then there were the wounded, those who had been exposed to the gas but had not died. There were over 3,000 people who had suffered effects from the attack but had not died immediately. Many of these would suffer permanent damage to their ability to walk, to talk, or to properly use the bathroom facilities due to the loss of their involuntary neuromuscular functions. Like Los Angeles, the city of Philadelphia had to deal with the problems of thousands of injured and not enough beds for them throughout the city. Unlike Los Angeles all of these injuries had occurred at one time. The city’s medical facilities had been swamped beyond their ability to handle the survivors.

Drastic triage measures had been necessary; those who were not in any immediate danger were sent home. Those who were in immediate danger were admitted and sent to one of the area hospitals or one of the six emergency medical centers set up in some of the city’s older abandoned buildings.

Now many of the more seriously effected survivors were starting to die off as complications began to set in. It was estimated that of the 3,000 plus that had survived the attacks half of that number would die within the next three months because of secondary problems arising from exposure to the gas.

The OCD had quickly sent decontamination teams to Philadelphia. But decontamination was extremely difficult with nerve gas. The process would mean that several buildings in the path of the V1 would have to be cleaned from top to bottom and any contents in those buildings destroyed. In at least two cases whole department stores would have to be emptied of their Christmas inventory and the cost to those stores would put them permanently out of business. The financial cost to Philadelphia would be in the millions of dollars and it would be years before it fully recovered from this.

One resident would summarize the feelings of those in the city. “In the days after the attack no one felt safe. Every time we heard a siren or a loud noise someone would scream or jump.” This fear was also affecting the city’s war work. People were staying away from their jobs at the docks and in the plants in droves. Despite threats and pleas from management for the most part people were scared. Even the most callous management could understand that. Still the war work had to be done. Many in the city had been dismissed from their wartime jobs because of absenteeism and now soldiers were taking their places. The port was still closed as there simply were not enough people to man the docks and ship yards, not without help from the military. Unlike Los Angeles there were no kind celebrities to help boost morale here. The only thing that would heal Philadelphia would be time.

Rather eerily there is a plague alert out in LA today according to BBC News due to a squirrel being found with plague in a park. OTL is sometimes a little bit ASB.

Geon

Donor
London and Harris

For those of you who have eagerly awaited here is "Bomber" Harris unleashed.

Geon
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Time: 1:00 p.m. [EST}

Air Marshall Arthur Harris, “Bomber” Harris as he was nicknamed entered the office of Prime Minister Churchill. Harris noted that the Prime Minister looked rather haggard as he entered. This was not surprising. Churchill had been dealing with the continued bad news from the U.S. and the Ardennes for a solid week. There was every opportunity that the Germans could do again what they had in June, 1940, surrounding the British army and forcing it back into the sea. Churchill had a great deal on his plate so Harris wondered why the Prime Minister had sent for him.

Churchill came right to the point. “Arthur for some time you have been advocating the continued attacks on German cities in order to break the enemy’s morale. You claim that the enemy can be broken if his cities are in ruins. It is time to truly put your theories to the test Arthur,” spoke Churchill with a savage look in his eyes that made Harris blanch. “You now have unlimited authority to bomb every German city indiscriminately. Your job from now on is to make those bloody bastards scream for mercy until they surrender is that clear?” “Yes, sir,” said Harris, inwardly beaming that at last his theories were going to be properly tried. “How soon can you start,” Churchill asked? “Tonight if the weather stays good,” replied Harris. “Then do so, and in the next days you will be receiving ‘special weapons,’ to use in your attacks. I expect you to use them and to ensure the Germans understand the folly of what they have done. One thing, there are two cities you are to leave untouched; the city of Linz and the city of Nuremburg. There is something ‘special’ planned for them if all goes well later this summer and the war is still going on and we need two undamaged cities to make our point if the war continues on, do you understand me?” Harris wasn’t sure that he did but nodded. And the ‘special weapons’ while vague was clear enough. Already in his mind Harris was factoring in the use not only of high explosives and incendiaries on Germany’s ancient cities but of chemical weapons as well.

Last edited:
One thing, there are two cities you are to leave untouched; the city of Linz and the city of Nuremburg. There is something ‘special’ planned for them if all goes well later this summer and the war is still going on and we need two undamaged cities to make our point if the war continues on, do you understand me?”
Oh, boy. Ol'Adolf's gonna be singing the Atomic Talking Blues.

One thing, there are two cities you are to leave untouched; the city of Linz and the city of Nuremburg. There is something ‘special’ planned for them if all goes well later this summer and the war is still going on and we need two undamaged cities to make our point if the war continues on, do you understand me?” Harris wasn’t sure that he did but nodded. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Great timeline - have been following it for some time.

Looks like some people are going to have some instant sunshine :) Liking it - are you going to take it that far?

Geon

)---snip---

Two things: it may not just be chemical weapons, Tallboy and Grand slam dropped as part of a conventional raid will cause a lot of deeper shelters, U-Bahns for example to collapse. Otl, with Hamburg and Dresden a significant number of deaths were due to suffocation and CO poisoning. If the location of Hitlers bunker were ever to be discovered, or even suspected, I'd expect it to be targeted by a number of Tallboys

Archibald

Banned
Would it be possible to have a raid of 100 - 200 Lancasters all armed with Tallboys / Grand Slam ? Would it cause more devastation than with the usual smaller bombs, or would the big bombs interfere with each others ?

Geon

Air Marshall Arthur Harris, “Bomber” Harris as he was nicknamed entered the office of Prime Minister Churchill. Harris noted that the Prime Minister looked rather haggard as he entered. This was not surprising. Churchill had been dealing with the continued bad news from the U.S. and the Ardennes for a solid week. There was every opportunity that the Germans could do again what they had in June, 1940, surrounding the British army and forcing it back into the sea. Churchill had a great deal on his plate so Harris wondered why the Prime Minister had sent for him.

Churchill came right to the point. “Air Marshall for some time you have been advocating the continued attacks on German cities in order to break the enemy’s morale. You claim that the enemy can be broken if his cities are in ruins. It is time to truly put your theories to the test Air Marshall,” spoke Churchill with a savage look in his eyes that made Harris blanch. “You now have unlimited authority to bomb every German city indiscriminately. Your job from now on is to make those bloody bastards scream for mercy until they surrender is that clear?” “Yes, sir,” said Harris, inwardly beaming that at last his theories were going to be properly tried. “How soon can you start,” Churchill asked? “Tonight if the weather stays good,” replied Harris. “Then do so, and in the next days you will be receiving ‘special weapons,’ to use in your attacks. I expect you to use them and to ensure the Germans understand the folly of what they have done. One thing, there are two cities you are to leave untouched; the city of Linz and the city of Nuremburg. There is something ‘special’ planned for them if all goes well later this summer and the war is still going on and we need two undamaged cities to make our point if the war continues on, do you understand me?” Harris wasn’t sure that he did but nodded. And the ‘special weapons’ while vague was clear enough. Already in his mind Harris was factoring in the use not only of high explosives and incendiaries on Germany’s ancient cities but of chemical weapons as well.

A couple of small points, if I may. By this time Harris already had a free hand in bombing, he chose the targets, he would only need to be to be told he can use 'other' types of bombs, Also by this time he was Air Chief Marshall, and Churchill would have called him Arthur in private.

Would it be possible to have a raid of 100 - 200 Lancasters all armed with Tallboys / Grand Slam ? Would it cause more devastation than with the usual smaller bombs, or would the big bombs interfere with each others ?

the Grand slam not fit into the Lancaster bomb bay the special version of Bomber could carry ONE under fuselage
794px-Lancaster_617_Sqn_RAF_dropping_Grand_Slam_bomb_on_Arnsberg_viaduct_1945.jpg

to carry Tailboy and Grand slam, you need to modified the Lancaster Bomber in order to reduce weight
so far i know was only the No. 617 Squadron RAF equipped with modified Lancaster Bomber for this task.

sharlin

Banned
The RAF using gas weapons against German cities will invite retaliation from V2 attacks carrying the same. The 'best' thing (and I can't believe I am about to type this) for Churchill to do if he wanted to demoralise the Germans and cause terror would be Dresden style raids, not breaking out the mustard gas.

The RAF using gas weapons against German cities will invite retaliation from V2 attacks carrying the same. The 'best' thing (and I can't believe I am about to type this) for Churchill to do if he wanted to demoralise the Germans and cause terror would be Dresden style raids, not breaking out the mustard gas.

If you hadn't noticed the Germans are already using V2s with gas warheads.

Not to mention that by this time hardly any of Britain is within V2 range, that German had only limited numbers of V2 and that the V2 payload is tiny compared with a heavy bomber.

The best way to demoralise and incapacitate Germany is massed gas attacks.

The best way to demoralise Britain is not to use mass retaliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.