How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geon

Donor
Isn't Bismarck the capital of North Dakota or is there another Bismarck in Montana?

Apparently there is a Bismarck in Montana as well which served as an airbase during World War II. Please feel free to check this and if it is wrong I will correct it.

Geon

Small nitpick - Hirohito would not have referred to himself as the "Showa Emperor Hirohito" but only as the "Showa Emperor". Formally the Japanese Emperor has no personal name during his reign.

Actually, "Showa Emperor"(Shouwa Tennou) is his posthumous name. During his reign Hirohito, as all Japanese emperors, is simply known as "Tennou Heika"(His Imperial Majesty)

Actually, "Showa Emperor"(Shouwa Tennou) is his posthumous name. During his reign Hirohito, as all Japanese emperors, is simply known as "Tennou Heika"(His Imperial Majesty)
Actually, "Showa" is the era name of his reign (1926-1989. It only became his personal name posthumously. Only after his death did he become Emperor Showa. However, even during his life, he was the Showa Emperor--that is to say, the Emperor during the Showa era.

battleship brawl ?

nope, more in honor of German chancellor Otto von Bismark
403px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2005-0057%2C_Otto_von_Bismarck.jpg

there several place in US with name Bismark, founded by German settlers or in hopes of attracting German investment.
like Bismark the capitol of US state of North Dakota

Would the biological attacks affect the creation of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)? Maybe it would have more power and budget? If so, it would have interesting consequences in the much later AIDS pandemic.

Geon

Donor
New Update

Date: November 28, 1944
Time: 9:00 a.m. [EST]

NATJAB met for its latest update on the crisis. Once again a feeling of cautious optimism permeated the team. However, many tried to quell this remembering how earlier bouts of optimism had been squashed by events.

There had been no new cases in Detroit and the disease was officially declared to be contained there. Further the one case in Pittsburgh was in an isolation ward at the hospital and there was no sign there had been any further infections in that area. It was now believed the one case had originally come from Youngstown.

Out in the plains states there were new signs of anthrax in North Dakota now, as well as more cases reported in Wyoming and Montana. But the isolation of herds and the mass vaccination programs seemed to be doing their jobs. Thankfully no cases had been reported among humans yet. And the USAAF had reported that at least 45 balloons had now been shot down.

One of the team, the presidential liaison for NATJAB felt that a preliminary report could be made to the President that “the biological emergency brought on by the Japanese attacks in Los Angeles and the Plains states was almost under control and with luck the outbreaks would all be contained by the end of the year.”

What happened in mid December would not only make a lie of that statement but would cost the presidential liaison his job.

Cities/ Number of Casualties/ Deaths/ Special
Los Angeles/ 2,686/ 313
St. Louis/ 217/ 103
New York/ 185/ 79
Seattle/ 15/ 10/ contained
Portland/ 10/ 8 contained
Youngstown/ 16/ 10/ contained
Pittsburgh/ 1/ 0
Detroit / 60/ 31/ contained
San Bernardino/ 3/ 1/ contained
San Francisco/ 6/ 3/ contained
Chicago/ 2/ 1/ contained
Oakland/ 2/ 1/ contained
Atlanta / 1/ 1/ contained
Total Infected: 3,204, Total Deaths: 561

Infections Due to Anthrax Attack
Number of Cattle Infections/ Locations/ Deaths
30/ Montana/ 30
17/ Wyoming/ 17
5/ North Dakota/ 5

Time: 4:00 a.m. [Berlin time]

Bombs were still falling outside from the latest British air raid but Admiral Karl Doenitz paid them no heed. He sat at his desk considering the present situation. His plans to delay and sabotage the planned attack on the U.S. had failed. Skorzeny and his men were everywhere now supervising things. Any attempt to slow things down was simply “corrected,” by the SS officers supervising the operation.

Skorzeny needed two subs now for Operation Trojan Victory. One would serve as a cargo carrier for some “special” cargo. The other would be actively involved in the operation. Doenitz had been unable to refuse but had managed to insist all of the men on both subs must be volunteers and they must understand this was quite possibly a suicide mission. Skorzeny had readily agreed. He would be part of the team on the latter sub which would take a more active part in the operation.

Things had moved far too quickly for Doenitz to stop them. Now he was faced with a series of grim choices. Once the war ended, the Allies would try and hang everyone involved with Operation Trojan Victory, there was no question in Doenitz mind regarding this. Even if Trojan Victory succeeded the inevitable end might be delayed by a few months but no more. In that case, it was likely Doenitz would still be dead, arrested and hung as a traitor for trying to delay the operation. Many of the SS officers had noticed some of his attempts to slow things down. And Doenitz knew that some of them were just ambitious enough that revealing that the head of the Kriegsmarine was a traitor to the Fatherland would do wonders for their careers. Thus, if Operation Trojan Victory succeeded he was dead and if it failed he was dead. He was left with one last choice.

Doenitz looked at the letters he had written on his desk one last time. They were addressed to Hitler and his wife Inge explaining his actions.

My Fuehrer
Since this war began I have served you in many capacities. I have for the most part unquestioningly carried out your orders and done my utmost to ensure victory for the Fatherland. Had you asked it of me I would have even gladly given you my life. But now the time has come for me to say no! I cannot be part of a plan which will only result in further humiliation to Germany in the eyes of the world and will see her destroyed as a nation. I say to you quite plainly that Operation Trojan Victory is complete madness! If you go ahead with this plan you will visit the very wrath of God on Germany. That wrath will take the form of Allied bombers perhaps with chemical weapons as they are now using on Japanese cities. I cannot accept this or be a part of this. I therefore have decided to take this action to show my ultimate rejection of both this plan and this philosophy of destruction the Reich seems to have embarked upon. In my final words to you I beg of you reconsider your actions now before you plunge all of Germany into the abyss!

Admiral Karl Doenitz

The other letter was to his wife, Inge.

Inge
I deeply regret that what I am about to do will cause you and our daughter great pain. I fear my darling it cannot be helped. My conscience will not allow me to carry out this plan. To do so would go against all I have been taught and all that I am. To refuse to carry these plans out would label me a traitor and would expose you and our daughter, Ursula, to the shame of being the wife and daughter of a traitor. This also is unacceptable. I have chosen to use this honorable means rather then compromise who I am. I know that this goes against the tenets of our faith. And I only pray that God in His great mercy will forgive what I must now do. I also pray He will strengthen you for the days to come. Do not pray for me Inge for I will be at peace, and perhaps by His mercy I will see Peter and Klaus again. Pray instead for Germany and that our daughter may grow up in a world free of the madness that has gripped this nation now. Farewell my love, may we meet again before His Presence.

Karl

The letters were in order. Doenitz had ensured his personal affairs were also in order over the last day or two. It was time. Quietly he reached for the Lugar service pistol at his side and lifted it to his head.

Time: 12:15 p.m.

Later that day at Nordhausen a tired Dr. Von Braun looked at the test results for the launching yesterday of the prototype A-4b. Normally Dr. Von Braun always felt a rush of pride when a test came off so perfectly. Now he felt a feeling of dread knowing that a successful test meant that this weapon could be ready in time for Operation Trojan Victory. Now, technicians were working in the vast underground laboratory/factory of Nordhausen to ready to two A-4bs for shipment to secret launch sites that were being prepared in western Germany. If all went according to schedule they would be ready by December 10th and shipped to the launch sites under cover of darkness by the 14th.

Dr. Von Braun turned to another report on his desk. His heart sank in his chest as he read the basics. The dispersal mechanisms for both the V1s and V2s to be used in Trojan Victory were apparently ready to go into immediate production. Preliminary tests using non lethal aerosols had gone well. While it was not possible to flight test the mechanisms in time for Operation Trojan Victory the report stated there was a good chance the devices would work. Dr. Von Braun shuddered. He was glad he could truthfully claim to not have any part in the warhead development phase of this plan. As he had thought earlier at Goering’s office so now he considered again that if he was very fortunate he might only spend the rest of his life in some lightless prison cell rather then being hung!

Last edited:

Garrison

Donor
Ouch! and we thought things had gotten ugly already. Alas for Doenitz his gesture is bound to be futile; with the US already using chemical weapons on Japan even any still sane elements in the German High Command will assume their turn is coming regardless of what happens with 'Trojan Victory'.

Geon

Donor
Interlude

This update covers four days. I hope I have done a good job in this slightly different update.
-------------------------------

Interlude: The next 4 days.

Events continued to unfold throughout the world over the next four days.

Japan: In Japan by December 2nd there had been 6 “Carthage” raids on Osaka, Yokohoma, Nagoya, Hiroshima, Kobe, and Kyoto. By December 2nd the raids had accounted for over 500,000 casualties, of these there were 125,000 dead. And the raids were continuing.
In Tokyo Hirohito continued to wait for the Allies to contact him. The raids were clear proof that either they had not yet received the letter or they did not believe his truthfulness. He could now only wait and hope.
Elsewhere in Tokyo during this time a certain Vice Admiral was feeling more and more uneasy. Admiral Ozawa was beginning to understand the full consequences of Operation Falling Cherry Blossoms for Japan. The Americans were striking out even more brutally then ever. Jisaboro now hoped the German plans that the German ambassador assured him were well under way would be the knockout blow to bring the U.S. to the peace table.

U.S.S.R.: In Moscow, Stalin was not a happy man. The letter of the Emperor to the Unites States was seen by him as Japan attempting to come to a private deal with the U.S. This was totally unacceptable in Stalin’s eyes. If the U.S. did decide to accept the Emperor’s deal of unconditional surrender, assuming the Emperor could deliver on his promise, then Soviet plans for the Far East would have to be put on indefinite hold. For now, Stalin decided to sit back and patiently watch the other players in this game before he made his move.

Germany In Germany the nation would mourn the death of Karl Doenitz. The official account said that Doenitz had been killed in an air raid by the British on the night of November 28th. Only Doenitz family and a handful of high ranking officials knew the truth. The secret of Doenitz death would remain so until the end of the war and for several years thereafter. Only in 1974 did Ursula Doenitz break her silence and reveal to interviewers for the award-winning British documentary World at War that her father had committed suicide, showing them his suicide letter.
Elsewhere in Germany plans continued to go forward for Operation Trojan Victory. Erich Raeder was reappointed as Admiral of the Kreigsmarine and ordered to continue the final preparations for the Operation.

Britain: In Britain the analysts had finished their work. The letter and its contents had been analyzed and reanalyzed and the results double and trouble checked. The final results were now ready to be reported. Now those results were being carried by one very prominent individual personally on a plane bound for America which would arrive on December 2nd.

U.S.A.: In the United States the number of new plague cases was almost down to nothing. By December 2nd the number of new cases was down to zero in St. Louis and the disease was considered contained there as of the December 1st. New York and Los Angeles were the only cities where new plague cases still continued to appear but at smaller and small numbers. NATJAB hoped by the end of the month they would be contained as well.

As December 2nd began the score sheet in the offices of NATJAB read as follows.

Cities/ Number of Casualties/ Deaths/ Special
Los Angeles/ 2,766/ 325
St. Louis/ 232/ 109/ contained
New York/ 242/ 91
Seattle/ 15/ 10/ contained
Portland/ 10/ 8/ contained
Youngstown/ 16/ 10/ contained
Pittsburgh/ 1/ 0/ contained
Detroit/ 60/ 31/ contained
San Bernardino/ 3/ 1/ contained
San Francisco/ 6/ 3/ contained
Chicago/ 2/ 1/ contained
Oakland/ 2/ 1/ contained
Atlanta / 1/ 1/ contained
Total Infected: 3,356, Total Deaths: 591

Infections Due to Anthrax Attack
Number of Cattle Infections/ Locations/ Deaths:
55/ Montana/ 55
19/ Wyoming/ 19
5/ North Dakota/ 5

Last edited:
Minor correction: a Luger is not a revolver.

So it is nerve gas.:eek:
If two rockets full of nerve gas get lucky enough to hit a downtown area, it could be quite bad. Possibly quite a few more deaths than the Japanese attacks.

It was only way left for admiral Doenitz, this is consider by German officer as honorable act.

Note on V2, here A4B. They were install on Mobile launcher, who drives cross country, so harder to hit by allies air raids.
The V1 one was also launch from bomber during the last phase of war, because the V1 launch ramp are targets by the allies air raids.

Noch 16 tage bis "Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein" und "Kommandounternehmen Trojanischer Sieg"

Updated on Von Braun's fate:

Von Braun: I surrender!! I surrender---

(Squad of American soldiers gives him the Sonny Corleone treatment (1).)

Soldier: That's for the people who died, you kraut bastard!!!!

(1) Watch The Godfather to find out what this is.

Ok, now I understand what von Braun is working on. There will be blood. The way I imagine it, it's going to be ugly.

i thing after this, the US House of Representatives, will put US membership in/or the creation of a Neo Nazi organization under death penalty !

Noch 16 tage bis "Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein" und "Kommandounternehmen Trojanischer Sieg"

Artatochor

Banned
Hitler may have sealed the fate of high-ranking US officials when he authorized the operation. But also, the fate of Germany.

If I've also got this right they'll be using V-1's releasing aerosols along the flight path, probably covering a significant area before they either crash or get shot down, just like Project Pluto during the Cold War expect with chemicals instead of nukes. :eek:

And so far the effect of Hirohito's letter is to create further suspicion between Stalin and the WAllies, 1950 ITTL isn't going to be a fun place. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.