How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one considering what a Washington D.C. outbreak, even a small one, might do to inflame panic in the nation? Maybe a Congressman even gets sick...

Geon

Donor
Back in New York

Switching back to New York for our next update.
------------------

Date: November 14, 1944
Time: 7:20 p.m. [EST]

As Surgeon General, Thomas Parran began his explanation over the radio of the disease, its nature and treatment, in New York City the Army was moving into action. Troops from army bases surrounding the city moved into Brooklyn to secure key points in the city. Many of them took over from police officers exhausted from double duty shifts. However, there were some in the NYPD who resented the need for federal troops in the city and claimed they had the situation “under control.”

That statement’s truth or fallacy could be judged by simply looking at the Brooklyn skyline and noticing the various glowing fires and smoke trails rising from throughout the area. Troops quickly began to restore order throughout the city. Unfortunately, unlike Los Angeles things would not go as smoothly here. In one case a group of six looters armed with pistols was confronted by an army patrol and told to drop their loot and put up their hands. Perhaps in the dark the looters didn’t see that the patrol outnumbered them or perhaps, judging by some of the bottles found on them later, they were operating off of “liquid courage.” Whatever the reason, one of the group opened fire on the soldiers followed a second later by the others. Ten seconds after the looters opened up on the soldiers all six lay dead or dying on the street. The army squad suffered one injury.

It would take only one other confrontation of a similar nature that night which left 2 more looters dead and 1 injured to drive home the point. The Army was in no mood for games. As indicated earlier the rioters were by this time a cross section of the city’s lawless element who had taken the opportunity to “run wild.” The riots had actually started out of concern for plague victims. As troops fanned out throughout the city to maintain order an army medical unit was set up to help supplement the medical resources in the city. Just as in Los Angeles emergency medical centers were set up throughout the city to aid those who could not reach a local hospital for some reason. The location of one of the emergency medical centers was noted with great irony later by New York citizens. One of the emergency medical centers commandeered the Asch building, scene of the tragic Triangle Shirtwaist Fire of thirty years before.

Even though a dusk to dawn curfew had been established it was announced on the radio that those who were seriously ill would be allowed to go to local hospitals and the emergency medical centers to receive help. Unfortunately, after the violence of the past few days several of those infected and their families would be reluctant at first to venture out, fearing arrest or worse. And this would allow the infection to continue to spread.

----------

At city hall, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia had already made his displeasure known to President Roosevelt over the telephone after the President had announced the plan to institute martial law to him. Now he was showing his disagreement, very loudly to the General in charge of the Army troops and the representative from Washington sent to “advise,” the mayor on how to handle the crisis.

“We don’t need the [expletive deleted] army in this city! We need you over there in Europe fighting the [expletive deleted] Nazis! And we don’t need some Washington appointee ‘advising’ us of anything, we can handle this situation by ourselves thank you very much.”

As the mayor finished his tirade the General of the Army troops looked at him with a glare that one of LaGuardia’s aides would later say, “Was cold enough to freeze a person’s blood in his veins.” The General then spoke in a calm and low voice, “Mister Mayor, I don’t give a bloody damn about what you want or don’t want. You say you are handling this situation. The fires in Brooklyn sir and the near panic in the streets are signs you are not handling this at all. I am here to tell you sir that there is a new sheriff in town, namely me! And I am also here to tell you that you will listen to the recommendations of Mr. Robert Preston*, and you will implement them. If you do not do so then even though you may be the Mayor of this city, I will have you arrested and hauled before a military tribunal for violating martial law. Do you understand me sir?” Mayor LaGuardia said, simply “Yes.” After a moment he went and sat down at his desk as Mr. Preston began to detail the establishing of a task group in New York similar to the ones established in the other plague cities. Mayor LaGuardia nodded and outwardly agreed to what was being proposed, but inwardly he was thinking. This isn’t over my friends! If you think I’m going to sit docile and let my city become a military occupied bivouac you are crazy. He was already planning how he would deal with this.

* Mr. Robert Preston is the fictional name for the government representative sent to New York City.

Artatochor

Banned
How much will this affect the performance of the US Army? Perhaps the Watch on the Rhine could actually get to Antwerp?

New York risks to revolt as 1863? Roosevelt walks on the edge...

I think the martial law will be the only suitable choice, anyway, to keep the population calm, considering at that point it will be useless to order the limitation of transit into the Union... However, Britain should order the quarantine on any ship or plane arriving to America, or the disease risks to spread further... But maybe it is already too late.

I was thinking anyway if could be cases, in the Great plains or in the Rocky Mountains, where the little local comunities started to raise barricades and to isolate themselves, shooting at sight everyone will try to enter...

Geon

Donor
Martial Law-St. Louis

And in St. Louis this is what is happening after the President's speech.

----------

Date: November 14, 1944
Time: 6:20 p.m. [CST]

In St. Louis things occurred in a slightly calmer manner then they had in New York City. Mayor Kauffman quickly agreed to allow troops to maintain order in the city, not that he had much choice. He also agreed to restructure the SLGC. Up to now the group had been largely local officials with only a handful of federal representatives and all of the federal ones were local men who worked for the offices of the FBI and OCD. Now the SLGC would like the LACG have representative from both the federal and local governments in equal measure and the federal representatives would be from both Washington and Ft. Detrick.

Just as in New York City, federal troops fanned out from army bases around St. Louis to maintain order. Unlike in New York City there were fewer problems with calming unruly mobs. Most of the mobs simply dispersed and returned home when trucks with federal troops appeared.

In addition, emergency medical centers were set up in St. Louis and another army medical unit was dispatched to the city to help the local authorities. But now the racial issue which had been one of the reasons for the St. Louis riots earlier resurfaced. The same racial anger which had triggered the riots now kept people in the African-American sections of St. Louis who had been infected from seeking help. Many cases in the St. Louis area would not be reported for days.

bguy

Donor
Where are the Governors of New York and Missouri in all of this? Traditionally if martial law was going to be declared in their states, they would be the ones to do it and utilize their state National Guards to enforce order (with the option to call in federal troops if necessary.) FDR might technically have the legal authority to order in federal troops on his own under the Insurrection Act, but politically doing so without first consulting with the Governors of those states will look really bad. The Republicans will see this as FDR trying to destroy Dewey's political future by basically claiming he is too incompetent to maintain order in his state, the South will freak out about the prospect of a president imposing marital law in a state without that state's consent, and every state Governor will be furious about the precedent FDR is establishing here. As such I would think FDR would first try to get Dewey and Donnel to declare martial law on their own, and only if they refused would he act unilaterally.

I'm wondering, now that the outbreak in NYC is getting worse how long until panic hits and people start to leave, a few taking the plague with them?

I can easily see some of them reaching Boston or Washington DC...

I see this getting worse before it gets better, and the German's haven't made their move yet.

Definitely subscribed!

Geon

Donor
Where are the Governors of New York and Missouri in all of this? Traditionally if martial law was going to be declared in their states, they would be the ones to do it and utilize their state National Guards to enforce order (with the option to call in federal troops if necessary.) FDR might technically have the legal authority to order in federal troops on his own under the Insurrection Act, but politically doing so without first consulting with the Governors of those states will look really bad. The Republicans will see this as FDR trying to destroy Dewey's political future by basically claiming he is too incompetent to maintain order in his state, the South will freak out about the prospect of a president imposing marital law in a state without that state's consent, and every state Governor will be furious about the precedent FDR is establishing here. As such I would think FDR would first try to get Dewey and Donnel to declare martial law on their own, and only if they refused would he act unilaterally.

Bguy

To be sure, Roosevelt will be contacting the governors requesting they sign off on his "recommendations." But, make no mistake. FDR was determined that war production in these cities would not be disrupted. I personally believe based on what I know of him that he would not have thought twice about ordering troops into the effected cities with or without the permission of the governors.

Geon

P.S. And in addition I had forgotten that little bit about asking the governors' permissions. My mistake:(!

Last edited:
Airport...

The question is *not* "will there be an LaGuardia Airport in 1960?", the question is whether there "will there even be a LaGuardia sewage treatment plant?". :)

Geon

Donor
Los Angeles and Chaplin

I suspect a certain Director of the FBI is going to be reaching for the aspirin bottle after this update!

Date: November 15, 1944
Time: 9:00 a.m. [PST]

The Los Angeles Crisis Group was looking over grim figures for the previous night. There had been another 90 new cases reported and another 18 deaths. There was some good news. If one charted the deaths over the past eight days the peaks and valleys on the charts were starting to lower. There was some hope that the cases would gradually be leveling out. Also, with the sound stages at the film studios throughout the city now being used as emergency hospitals it was hoped that there would be sufficient bed space for those who needed help.

The convict work force was now starting to take over in the war plants from the weary workers who in some cases had pulled two shifts voluntarily to keep things going. Absenteeism was still a problem but with the convict labor force now supplementing the regular workers it was hoped that there would be enough to keep the industries going until this nightmare was over.

----------
Elsewhere in the city hall the Mayor of Los Angeles was meeting with the Governor of California, Earl Warren. Mayor Bowron thanked Governor Warren for his help in making certain Los Angeles had the support from the state it needed, namely troops to guard the city and maintain order. Both discussed ways the state government could further aid Los Angeles in this difficult time and whether further troops would be necessary. As of right now, Mayor Bowron believed that the present number of troops in Los Angeles would be sufficient with the LAPD to maintain order.

Talk then turned to another matter. The Great Hollywood Bug-Out was going to cost the city and the state a great deal of revenue if it lasted too long. Mayor Bowron had not and would not forgive the heads of the studios that had “jumped ship like rats,” as he was quoted later. Now, they were setting up to shoot in temporary quarters in Reno, Nevada. For a time Reno would be reaping the benefits that Los Angeles would normally have. This did not sit well with Mayor Bowron or, truth be told, with Governor Warren who also could read a balance sheet. The plague would cost both the city and the state an enormous amount of money. Both now met to decide the best way to make it difficult for the “movie moguls,” when (if) they ever returned to Hollywood.

After the meeting the two men went downstairs to speak with the press and give the city of Los Angeles another badly needed shot in the arm to its morale. Charlie Chaplin, who had remained in the city and even foiled a burglary in his home single-handedly, would receive an award and a specially struck medal that day. He would later say that it was “better then any Oscar I could have received.”

Garrison

Donor
I'm wondering, now that the outbreak in NYC is getting worse how long until panic hits and people start to leave, a few taking the plague with them?

I can easily see some of them reaching Boston or Washington DC...

Not to mention London, Paris, and points East after the anarchy in New York. Will the British and the Free French start demanding quarantine procedures?

Geon

Donor
OCD and White House

Garrison-speaking of quarantine...
-------------------------------------
Time: 9:00 a.m. [EST]

At the OCD headquarters NATJAB met for its daily briefing. Once more the score sheet offered no good news, if anything there were now two new entries on it.

City/ Number of Casualties/ Deaths/ Special
Los Angeles/ 1,933/ 184/
St. Louis/ 40/ 25/ unrest
New York/ 47/ 23/ unrest
Seattle/ 12/ 5/
Portland/ 6/ 5
Youngstown/ 7/ 5
San Bernardino/ 3/ 0
San Francisco/ 4/ 1
Chicago/ 2/ 1/ contained
Oakland/ 2/ 1/ contained
Atlanta/ 1/ 1 contained

Overnight San Bernardino and San Francisco had both reported cases and one death in San Francisco. Early reports indicated that these new cases were caused by refugees from Los Angeles. Task forces were already being dispatched to the two new cities. Both St. Louis and New York still had “unrest” listed beside their names and would continue to do so until the generals in charge indicated the streets of those cities were clear and safe again.

Meantime personnel shortages needed to be considered. Presently six army medical units which would have been bound for either the Pacific or Europe were tied down in three major cities (Los Angeles, New York, and St. Louis). It was decided that unless a city specifically asked for assistance no further medical units would be deployed.

----------

Meanwhile at the White House, President Roosevelt was dealing with the various problems the attack of ten days ago had brought to the country.

First off was the problem with manpower. At present three major army companies were deployed in three major U.S. cities. The men employed keeping order in these cities would not be able to go overseas where they were needed. There was already talk by senior European American commanders that if the situation kept worsening the spring offensives planned to enter Germany would have to be postponed by at least a few weeks. That news would certainly not sit well with the Russians who were looking to the Western Allies to keep up the pressure so the Red Army could mount its final thrust into Germany. Stalin would not brook any sort of delay with victory this close.

Then there were the British. The British ambassador had met with President Roosevelt an hour ago and had suggested to him that from now on, to safeguard the health of the British people all American troops being sent to Britain and from there on to the continent should be checked at key British ports by trained British and American medical personnel. Further, if any soldiers were found to carry the plague they should immediately be isolated as should the transport with the rest of the soldiers. The dangers of this spreading beyond the continental U.S. and back to Europe were just too great. Roosevelt had to reluctantly agree. Orders would go out to medical units stationed in Britain to set up examination stations at all embarkation ports to check incoming troops for signs of the plague. The problem was that if even one transport had to be quarantined that meant a few thousand more troops unavailable. The old adage, “for want of a shoe,” played over and over again in FDR’s mind.

Earlier in the day Roosevelt had talked with the presidential advisor to NATJAB and the Surgeon General. It was clear they had not seen the peak of the wave yet. While some signs were encouraging, as long as there was total freedom of movement into and out of the cities infected there was always a chance the disease would spread further. But, the cities simply could not be quarantined. That would bring needed industries to a screaming halt and further exasperate panic. No. The best that could be done was to monitor the situation and send help as it was needed.

Then there the governors of Missouri and New York, who had not learned until after FDR’s speech the night before that troops would be sent into a major city in their state. Both had been contacted afterward by the President to ask their official permission. Both had agreed given the circumstances. But it was very clear that Thomas Dewey was less then happy about the affair. Governor Dewey didn’t disagree with Roosevelt. Army troops were needed to restore order in New York City. But Dewey felt he should have been the one to make the request. Under normal circumstances the President would have agreed, but since November 5th the term “normal circumstances,” was open to interpretation. Order needed to be restored and fast. The President, he told himself, had the authority to do so and needed to do so quickly before the situation escalated out of control threatening vital industries and important embarkation points for troops to Europe.

Roosevelt wearily slumped in his chair. Rubbing his head he tried to massage away the growing headache that seemed to dog him constantly now and wondered if he should mention this to his physician.

Geon

Donor
One Word

I see this getting worse before it gets better, and the German's haven't made their move yet.
As to the German move after wrestling with myself all day as to whether I will drop a hint on what is planned by Skorzeny I have decided to drop a one word hint on what the Germans have up their sleeves. Those in the know on World War II may speculate on this as they see fit.

Here is the one word - Atlantis - and it has nothing to do with the lost continent or a Caribbean resort!:p

Geon

Congratulations Geon on a great story. Looking forward to the next part, especilly the German operation.

Atlantis - that was the German auxillary cruiser. Funnilly enough the same one that sparked the Automendon incident and gave Japan the heads up that the British were weak in the far East.
However that was sunk by 1941 - so is it a fake merchant ship with a nasty surprise in its hold heading to New York?:eek:

Garrison

Donor
Congratulations Geon on a great story. Looking forward to the next part, especilly the German operation.

Atlantis - that was the German auxillary cruiser. Funnilly enough the same one that sparked the Automendon incident and gave Japan the heads up that the British were weak in the far East.
However that was sunk by 1941 - so is it a fake merchant ship with a nasty surprise in its hold heading to New York?:eek:

That would makes sense(in a crazed plan sort of way). Either stick a neutral flag on a German ship or hijack the real thing. But in the circumstance they might head for somewhere like Boston or Miami?

Geon

Donor
A Friendly Conversation

Here is the last update for today.
----------------------------------

Time: 5:00 p.m. [EST]

Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia had acted quickly and decisively since his “discussion,” with the general earlier in the day. He was now sitting in a broadcast studio in Radio City Music Hall getting ready to strike back at what he perceived as a betrayal by Washington.

LaGuardia had always considered himself a progressive. He had supported many of President Roosevelt’s New Deal ideas. He had welcomed the President to New York City many times. Now that same President was sending in Army troops to maintain order, and had only contacted the state governor to ask permission after he had given the orders to the local commanders.

Mayor LaGuardia was forced to admit to himself that things had gotten out of hand in Brooklyn. But New York should have been allowed to correct its own problems, not have them corrected by some ham-fisted military leader. After the morning meeting with the General the Mayor had moved quickly on a simple and very direct plan. He would take the matter directly to the people of New York. Once the people of the city understood what was happening they would demand that Washington withdraw the troops and let the NYPD and the city Health Commissioners handle the problem.

The door to the studio abruptly opened and Mayor LaGuardia turned to see the General he had talked to earlier standing there flanked by two armed guards. The following conversation was recorded by the sound technicians on duty in the studio at the time. It was sealed immediately by order of the U.S. Military and not released to the public until June of 1994.

General Hawthorne*: Mister Mayor, I don’t think you want to go through with what you are planning.
Mayor LaGuardia: Isn’t that for me to decide General Hawthorne? The last I heard there’s still something called the Constitution in this country that allows a citizen what’s called freedom of speech. Are you here to take that away from me like the rest of the city?
General Hawthorne: Not at all Mister Mayor. I am simply asking you not to take steps which will result in more unrest and cause more problems for everyone.
Mayor LaGuardia: The main problem I see here General is yourself and Mr. Preston from Washington. You seem bound and determined to turn this city into occupied military territory.
General Hawthorne: Sir, I am here at the request of President Roosevelt to restore order in a city where that order was crumbling. You kept assuring Washington for several days that the situation here in New York was “under control.” From what I saw when I first entered this city sir it was anything but “under control.”
Mayor LaGuardia: I’ll fully admit we made some…no, many mistakes in dealing with this crisis sir. But that is no reason for the Federal government to take away the authority of a lawfully elected Mayor of this city.
General Hawthorne: That was never our intention…
Mayor LaGuardia: That seemed pretty clearly your intention to me this morning sir when you tried to lecture me like a naughty school boy.
General Hawthorne: Sir, it was not my desire to humiliate you but it seemed you were not facing facts. You have a serious outbreak in your city which is a result of the enemy attack on Los Angeles. You were acting in a way that was only creating tension and not dealing with the problems. The riots developed because sick people were being kept like prisoners in their homes to die and not being treated. I already have several testimonies to that effect by people from the Brooklyn area. Do you wish to see them?
Mayor LaGuardia: No… [Pause of 15 seconds]…So, what are your intentions here General, and how did you learn I was planning to broadcast here?
General Hawthorne: Mister Mayor you moved too fast. It was easy for word to get back to me of your plans. As to what my intentions are-if you go ahead with this broadcast I will have to order your arrest on charges of sedition. The broadcast would inflame public opinion at a time when it needs to be calmed. We need to work together to calm the public, not have one arousing them to do something crazy while the other is trying to keep things quiet. Do you want to go down in history as the first Mayor of New York City to stand trial before a military tribunal on charges of sedition?
Mayor LaGuardia: [Another Pause, this time of a full minute] No.
General Hawthorne: Mister Mayor I think we may have started “on the wrong foot,” with each other as it were. I fully recognize your authority in this city as its lawfully elected leader and I am willing to follow any reasonable order you give. But my orders also include maintaining order in this city and ensuring vital war work keeps running. Why don’t we go back to your office and discuss this further?
[Transcript ends] – Released by Freedom of Information Act on June 17, 1994.

General Edward Hawthorne would later be commended for his actions in diffusing a potentially explosive situation. Mayor LaGuardia would still go down in history in the hearts of most New Yorkers as one of the greatest mayors in New York history.

Last edited:

Garrison

Donor
Well that's headed off one problem but with the ominous state of Roosevelt's health. 'Atlantis', 'Carthage', and balloon bombs to come there's plenty of chances for things to fall apart still remaining.:eek:

I read a book called The Black Death by John S. Marr, which deals with an outbreak of bubonic plague (which turns pneumonic) in New York City in the 1970s.

That was bad.

Geon

Some good updates. A few points come to mind.
a) I don't think California can be too hard on the movie moguls, as they might lose too much income if the latter decided to stay in Reno or some other location rather than return to Hollywood. However I would expect relations to be tense for quite a while and the state to do some quiet milking of the industry.

b) A quarantine of US troops travelling to Europe, and probably also elsewhere pretty quickly will cause a fair amount of hassle. If a case is detected on a ship not only does it mean that the entire shipment of men and/or equipment will be needed to be checked over but also the ship could be out of commission for a while. You might also have local authorities in the US seeking to quarantine, or at least rigorous checks on ships [possibly also trains and the like] from the key infected areas. Especially those with unrest or large number of infected. This could cause a fair number of problems.

c) I would agree with Andy_H it sounds like a disguised merchant ship/raider is going to be used in some way. However how practical is that in late 44? The allies have a much greater control of the seas while Germany has lost bases just about everywhere bar the North Sea and in Norway. Also it will take some time.

d) It rather sounds like the US is going to have a new President very soon. One alternative might be say a stroke that cripples rather than kills Roosevelt quickly. Which could cause even more problems without a clear chain of command. Given how long he's been leading the country and the current crisis either death or serious illness will cause more problems and uncertainty.

Steve

Last edited:
In all fairness when you learn that your country has been hit by an ancient disease that had already devastated an entire continent at one stage, you'd lose a lot of sleep worrying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.