How might Roman religion develop if only the East became Christian?

Let's assume that, for one reason or another, Christianity only becomes the majority religion of the Eastern Roman Empire, while the West remains pagan. Perhaps Constantine never converts and the east only becomes Christian later, perhaps Julian or Eugenius successfully restore the old pagan religion, perhaps something entirely different happens. The specific details of how this comes about aren't extremely important. What I'm interested in is how might the religion of a pagan Europe develop where Christianity isn't totally absent but is nevertheless pretty removed from the context of the region. At the outset, I imagine that there would be much more syncretism with both Celtic and Germanic religion as the empire shifts its focus to regions like Gaul, while the mystery cults are also largely allowed to continue and grow into their own institutions within the religious structure of the West. I feel that this religion would resemble Hinduism or Shinto more than any organized religion like Christianity, although that does depend on the nature of the POD, with a restoration under Julian likely leading to a religious structure that mimics that of Christianity or Zoroastrianism.

There is also the fact that the Church would continue to evangelize these regions. For the sake of exploring how the pagan religions develop, let's assume that these missionary activities have minimal success, with perhaps a few regions converting but the vast majority remaining pagan, leading to Christianity's role in Western Europe being very roughly akin to the role of Islam in India.

I would argue how and when the religion has survived would certainly shape its development further on. Christianity's urban hierarchy was instrumental in making it survive the persecutions, and became an institution unto itself.
Without it, it can go however you want, but it's hard to argue for or against.

I would argue how and when the religion has survived would certainly shape its development further on. Christianity's urban hierarchy was instrumental in making it survive the persecutions, and became an institution unto itself.
Without it, it can go however you want, but it's hard to argue for or against.
I would argue that the fact that the persecutions were light rather than sustained, just enough to create some martyrs but not enough to threaten the faith.

That might create a PoD, with a more successful Julian, then his successor "going for the throat" and being more successful in the West. It would also solidify the cultural divide, with East and West looking at the other as foreign much sooner than otl.

I also think without Christianization and Romanization not being tied in the West, the people would be more likely to adopt the Gods of their conquerors, leading to, say the Germanization of, say, Northern Gaul. Conversely, Greece and the Balkans, which was arguably more resistant to Christianization than Egypt and Asia Minor might partially or wholly fall into the Western Empire once the cultural lines settled. Africa being 'more' Christianized might mean we have a Northwestern Roman Empire and South Eastern Roman Empire.

I would argue that the fact that the persecutions were light rather than sustained, just enough to create some martyrs but not enough to threaten the faith.

That might create a PoD, with a more successful Julian, then his successor "going for the throat" and being more successful in the West. It would also solidify the cultural divide, with East and West looking at the other as foreign much sooner than otl.

I also think without Christianization and Romanization not being tied in the West, the people would be more likely to adopt the Gods of their conquerors, leading to, say the Germanization of, say, Northern Gaul. Conversely, Greece and the Balkans, which was arguably more resistant to Christianization than Egypt and Asia Minor might partially or wholly fall into the Western Empire once the cultural lines settled. Africa being 'more' Christianized might mean we have a Northwestern Roman Empire and South Eastern Roman Empire.
While I mostly agree, it still doesn't really inform the PODs nor its consequences (what 'going for the throat' entails, in terms of civil strife?) or the shape of the religion that comes out of this all. And inserting the Gods of the conquerors is a statement unto itself (much lowered prestige of the Roman pantheon) that needs further explication, I think.