How can a small population achieve the highest growth in ancient times?

What variables affect population growth besides infant mortality and an average amount of children? how can a small, sedentary tribe or group develop a fast growth of numbers in the 2nd century, for example?

Moving into a fertile area that has recently seen a huge population decrease could do it. Lots of farms ready to be worked, room for children to inherit land, possibly some remaining infrastructure.

RousseauX

Donor
What variables affect population growth besides infant mortality and an average amount of children? how can a small, sedentary tribe or group develop a fast growth of numbers in the 2nd century, for example?
available food supply, pre-modern societies tend to grow very fast until they hit carrying capacity of the land they live on

The Americas had a founding population of less than 100. By 1500 there were 100 million. Closest RW example I can come up with.

Wait I thought the minimum for a population to maintain enough genetic diversity to survive was 1000. Also how do we know it was less than 100?

Philip

Donor
Also how do we know it was less than 100?

Start with the known* genetic diversity of their descendents. Using the known* rate of mutations you can estimate the number of contributors to that diversity at a given time.

* The values of these known rates are a matter of on-going investigation.

I thought the minimum for a population to maintain enough genetic diversity to survive was 1000.

In the 1960s, 25 raccoons escaped from a farm in near Berlin. Their descendents number in the 10s of thousands of not 100s of thousands. Invasive species, of which humans are the ur-example, can start from very small populations. However, the limited genetic diversity can have long term effects. There is some evidence that a lack of genetic diversity in native American immune systems contributed to their susceptibility to afroeurasian diseases.

Last edited:
Being open to newcomers - since that is what Genetic Diversity basically is, and also explains America

It COULD also explain Rome - a welcome to renegades, bandits, escaped criminals and so on