Homage to Beans: Canada gains USA, Russian America, California and Cuba peacefully

Dure

Banned
I am incapable of thinking such wonderful thoughts myself, all I can do is provide a mirror.

In the vast majority of AHs where Canada gains all or part of the USA it's usually due to war against Britain. Now, how could Canada have peacefully gained the USA, Russian America, California and Cuba thorough purchases or referenda? How greatful do you think the New Canadians would have been? Would it have been necessary for the Canadian authorities to sequestrate ex-Federal property or do you think that in a wave of joyous enthusiasm the New Canadians would simply have burned it all down?

What would the new Canadian flag look like? A Lion and a Unicorn 'stamping down forever with an iron heel on the face' of an eagle perhaps?

nbcman

Donor
Regarding the type of flag, it may not be based on a British flag at all.

It sounds pretty impossible to gain the USA without having the US significantly weakened or Canada significantly strengthened. OTL Canada has too few people and a much smaller economy to entice many settlers there prior to the mid 1800s when improved plow technology allowed for farming the Canadian plains (barring ATL USA going xenophobic). Which probably means there has to be a POD earlier than the US War of Independence.

Maybe a French and Indian war victory for France followed by the British colonies (future US) revolting. France intercedes and the US is formed with strong ties to France and French Canada. France either allows Canadian independence or Canada/US gang up on France to permit Canadian independence. After Canada is independent, the two countries merge and decide to have their government based in Canada.

Russian Alaska is easy-Russia sells their rights similar to OTL.

California/Cuba is harder. California could perhaps be part of Russian America which is sold to CanadUS. Cuba ?

I am incapable of thinking such wonderful thoughts myself, all I can do is provide a mirror.

In the vast majority of AHs where Canada gains all or part of the USA it's usually due to war against Britain. Now, how could Canada have peacefully gained the USA, Russian America, California and Cuba thorough purchases or referenda? How greatful do you think the New Canadians would have been? Would it have been necessary for the Canadian authorities to sequestrate ex-Federal property or do you think that in a wave of joyous enthusiasm the New Canadians would simply have burned it all down?

What would the new Canadian flag look like? A Lion and a Unicorn 'stamping down forever with an iron heel on the face' of an eagle perhaps?

A "How could" scenario of this magnatude requires ASB type PODs.

Dure

Banned
Ally-up. Lets make sure this comes to the attention of the New Canadians as they get home from work/school/university.

UK conquers Alaska and later attaches it to Canada.

UK acquires and settles California. California joins the Canadian Federation for some reason.

Canada gaining Cuba and continental USA is ASB.

67th Tigers

Banned
Some thoughts:

To start off, since we've stipulated a USA does come into existence, lets assume the British did better in the war against France and Canada retains it's full territorial boundaries; that is it stretches from the St Lawrence to the mouth of the Mississippi.

Lets also assume that of the 14 colonies of the eastern seaboard of the North America some sort of "democracy" occurs and the majority loyalist states stay with Britain. This leaves a US that is essentially New England, with Pennsylvania grafted on (the Pennsylvanians really didn't care one way or the other). We now have a country surrounded by the British Empire. The rest can sort of take care of itself...

Some thoughts:

To start off, since we've stipulated a USA does come into existence, lets assume the British did better in the war against France and Canada retains it's full territorial boundaries; that is it stretches from the St Lawrence to the mouth of the Mississippi.

Lets also assume that of the 14 colonies of the eastern seaboard of the North America some sort of "democracy" occurs and the majority loyalist states stay with Britain. This leaves a US that is essentially New England, with Pennsylvania grafted on (the Pennsylvanians really didn't care one way or the other). We now have a country surrounded by the British Empire. The rest can sort of take care of itself...

Well the US would be terretorially isolated in this scenario-New York and New Jersey with it's loyalist populations would stay on and Virginia wasn't loyalist at all.