Hitler takes over the Vatican.

Nocrazy

Banned
Okay, so I read that the Nazi's had a plan to take over the Vatican City. It read like this. A group of SS men would raid the Vatican, kidnap the Pope, steal stuff, the usual Nazi stuff. Then, a second, secret group would arrive, kill the first group, and "accidentally" kill the Pope. The whole thing would be blamed on Italy, and the Nazi's would have a vassal in the Vatican in 1943.

You can just tell this would not go well at all for the Nazi's. There would be widespread uprising's by Catholics everywhere, I'm sure, in Poland and France. Italy would probably defect or something. The whole thing would have gone so wrong for the Nazi's.

But what would the Vatican do? Well, probably convene a council, and appoint a new Pope. Not in Rome, of course, but I would say maybe....Dublin. Best bet really.

Which Pope was the plan set on Pius XI or Pius XII?

Could, Cardinal William Henry O'Connell of Boston, not try and take the Papacy to America, as not to be attacked again by the Nazi regime or the Communism?

Okay, so I read that the Nazi's had a plan to take over the Vatican City. It read like this. A group of SS men would raid the Vatican, kidnap the Pope, steal stuff, the usual Nazi stuff. Then, a second, secret group would arrive, kill the first group, and "accidentally" kill the Pope. The whole thing would be blamed on Italy, and the Nazi's would have a vassal in the Vatican in 1943.

You can just tell this would not go well at all for the Nazi's. There would be widespread uprising's by Catholics everywhere, I'm sure, in Poland and France. Italy would probably defect or something. The whole thing would have gone so wrong for the Nazi's.

But what would the Vatican do? Well, probably convene a council, and appoint a new Pope. Not in Rome, of course, but I would say maybe....Dublin. Best bet really.

I don't see a lot of German Catholics standing by and allowing the death of the pope to go unpunished.

I did read somewhere, but cannot remember where that Pius XII had a strategy in place to cover a situation where the Nazis either killed or imprisoned him - effectively the Vatican would be shut down and all governing decisions taken by a council of cardinals elsewhere, somewhere non- Europe.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Which Pope was the plan set on Pius XI or Pius XII?

Could, Cardinal William Henry O'Connell of Boston, not try and take the Papacy to America, as not to be attacked again by the Nazi regime or the Communism?

This. Is. Awesome!

Someone needs to do a time line on this!

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Would Brazil be a potential politically "neutral" site for the relocation of the Papacy?

If it happens before August 1942, it's possible, but after August '42, they might go somewhere else in Latin America to reestablish the Papacy. That doesn't rule Brazil out, they could still go there, but if they go somewhere neutral, then Brazil isn't the best option.

Also, who would be the Nazi's pope?