Historically inaccurate war movies - AH?

Dave, I believe thew final battle depicted in THE PATRIOT was an amalgam of both Cowpens and Guildford Courthouse.

As for British atrocities, Tarleton's Quarter and indiscriminate brutality against all civilians were the most significant factors for why ppl in the South became more motivated to fight Cornwallis. And there were also instances of British atrocities in other theatres of the ARW, such as the night bayonet attack of British grenadiers at Paoli tavern, Pennsylvania in 1777 where no prisoners were taken, and the depradations in NY and NJ of the likes of Col. James DeLancey's loyalist Westchester Light Horse Bn irregulars, who came to be known as 'Cowboys'.

true, there were atrocities in all theaters, but it wasn't the general rule. From what I've read, the biggest complaint against the Brits was their commandeering all food in sight, quartering themselves in any house they felt like and ruining them in the process, and burning anything wooden they could get for their heat and cook fires. They didn't really commit a lot of massacres on the general population or the Continentals either. That said, Tarleton was an exception who did go out of his way to kill people...

I saw Khartoum a few weeks ago - besides the innaccuracy of having an American playing Gordon (Charlton Heston, providing a breathtakingly awful performance even by HIS standards), was wrong on just about every possible count except for uniforms, which were very, very well done.

I also saw a movie about some cowboy in the Balkans in the late 19th c - it was a terrible movie, but it did have Ottomans with stunningly perfect uniforms, which I've never before seen on screen. Very cool.