"Hipster" PMs and Presidents Thread

Carol Browner, EPA Director throughout the Clinton administration, was in 2000 believed to be considering a political career in Florida, and throughout the 90s was seen as having solid political skills. Say she's elected to the Senate in 2000 or 2004, or, depending on the POD (Jeb gets elected in 1994?) Governor in 2002, it's easy to see her as a presidential/vice presidential candidate.

That same article also mentioned Transportation Secretary Rodney E. Slater as having political ambitions, though as a Black Democrat from Arkansas I'm unsure about whether or not he could be elected statewide. I wouldn't rule it out, though, and there's scenarios where he's elected Governor or, more likely, elected to the Senate in 2002. He'd be the first Black Senator/Governor from the South since Reconstruction if successful, which, again, makes it easy to see him being talked about as a presidential/vice presidential candidate.

Clay Aiken miiight be an interesting one, though hard to get into a position where he can win.

One route is have him go into politics earlier, maybe Bob Etheridge retires in 2008 instead of seeking re-election and Aiken could run for NC-2 6 years earlier. Granted, it was still a seat that Republicans could easily win buuut it'd likely be better than his run in 2014.

Likely he'd lose re-election in 2010, but would have a track record that could help him run for Mayor of Raleigh in 2011. If he's good, he may be able to win re-election in 2013 and from what I can tell they don't have term limits. The problem, to me, is that he'd still likely not be seen as 'presidential material' but a run for Senate might be difficult and going from Representative in 2010 to Mayor in 2011 and Governor in 2012 seems.. poorly thought out.

So that means he has two routes, someone picks him as their running mate (with or without dying) or he could run for Governor in 2016, be re-elected in 2020 and have a shot in an alternate 2024 or 2028. Considering his age, he may get a chance at a Senate seat as well. The main issue is figuring out how to get him into elected office though at risk of making this post longer, I did think of another way.

He could run for Mayor of Raleigh in 2011, be re-elected in 2013 and then run for House in 2014 or 2016. Alternatively, he could use that time as Mayor to run for Governor in 2016 as well but it's probably still an uphill battle.

One of the most interesting governors in the history of the USA was Dixy Lee Ray, who served one term as the Democratic governor of Washington from 1977 to 1981.

Ray was a scientist, teaching zoology at the University of Washington. She hosted a series on local public television on marine biology, and later became the director of the Pacific Science Center, transforming it into one of the most praised museums in the country. These roles made her well connected with state politics, and in 1973 Nixon selected her as the Chair of the Atomic Energy Commission. In 1975 Ford would place her as the Assistant Secretary of State for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs. She would last just five months in the position, quitting due to a frosty relationship with Henry Kissinger.

Back in the Evergreen State, Ray surprised the public by running for governor in 1976. Endorsements from Henry M. Jackson and Warren Magnuson, along with a crowded primary field allowed her to win the Democratic nomination. Despite a lack of career in electoral politics, she became the state's first female governor, a conservative Democrat in an increasingly progressive state.

This unlikely route to the governorship would be interesting enough, but what sets Ray apart was her abrasive personality, tendency for quips and gaffes, and unwavering support for unpopular positions. Despite her scientific background, she was skeptical of the environmentalist movement and was a climate change denier. Ray was an adamant fan of nuclear energy, nicknamed "Ms. Plutonium" by her opponents, and allowed oil tankers to dock in state waters. Ray downplayed the dangers of radiation and pollution. She had an aggressive, venomous relationship with most in Olympia, including the press. Memorably, when her pet pig had a litter, she named the piglets after members of the press before proceeding to turn them into sausage.

Although one of the first female governors in the nation, Ray didn't care much for feminism. She refused to campaign for the Equal Rights Amendment and abolished the Washington State Women's Council. Ray was also something of a social Darwinist, blasting the poor and underprivileged as weak and saying their overpopulation and stupidity was of utmost concern.

Ray's handling of the deadly Mount St. Helens' eruption brought further media attention, praise, and criticism. By the end of her term, she was quite unpopular and was successfully primaried by rival Democrat Jim McDermott.

I could see Ray as a hipster pick for Secretary of Energy. Imagine the PR disaster of her being in charge during the Three Mile Island incident.

Last edited:
I have another hipster president that I'm using for a timeline I'm writing.

Jim Folsom, Governor of Alabama from 1947-1951 and again from 1955-1959.

He was a New Deal Liberal who was a moderate on racial integration and civil rights, he was also Anti-Klan. Maybe he could be some kind of alternative to LBJ on a JFK ticket? I doubt he'd be as helpful to the ticket, but it'd be one way to make him President.

Maybe in an alternative 1956 election (either with or without Ike), he could also be the nominee or VP Nominee and get into the Presidency somehow from there too.

As an aside, George Wallace's first campaign for Governor was actually as a Folsom ally more or less, before he went super hard into being a segregationist as his 'only' way to get elected (which, when he did that, he had actually beaten Folsom in the primary then).

Delfo Zorzi/Roi Hagen is Incredibly niche choice for leader of a fascist Italy or 'super-terrorist' a la Carlos the Jackal

He was a member of the far right Ordine Nuovo and is thought to have played a major part in the 1969 Piazza Fontana bombing but always ends up acquitted when tried. He later went to Japan to teach Italian; eventually getting a Japanese passport despite his crimes and the name Hagen Roi,then using his familial leather seller background, became a pretty successful businessman dealing in furs. His companies have many an accusation of fraud,money laundering, and paling around with organzied crime. He was also named in the Pandora Papers.